How's your hubiquette?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

So...how is it?? You know--your Hub Etiquette? AKA Your Hubiquette. Do you rate up hubs you like? Do you leave comments on hubs you read? Do you answer comments from readers on your own hubs?

Just curious smile

And wondering what, if anything, you wish your fellow hubbers would do more often.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I certainly do rate and I do answer comments what I would like from fellow hubbers? mmmmm I think all is wonderful just the way it is. smile Spam I hate Spam smile

2. profile image51
      BadCoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always try to leave comments and nearly always leave a thanks for anyone who left me a comment smile

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are a sweetheart and gentleman that way.  But I won't let that ruin your Bad reputation wink

3. viryabo profile image95
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always leave comments on hubs i enjoyed reading, and always answer comments on my own hubs. I find it encouraging when someone visits and leaves a comment, and i always like to reciprocate too.
      Now and then i visit my fans' hubs and leave a comment.
      Always forget about the rate button because i think its not conspicuous enough IMO. Must pay attention to that now.

4. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ive always been extremely rude !!! big_smile

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You telling tall tales, Tony wink hehe ...yes, I behave in HP as if we is in da office tongue Oh..the water thingy is empty too, btw big_smile

1. tony0724 profile image60
          tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dame I am gonna be nice now because It Is always nice to see ya . An I will get the new water bottle ! big_smile

2. profile image0
          Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh sheesh...again?!?! That thing is always empty...
          Dame--did you put the coffee on? And Where is my stapler, by the way?? lol

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you rate up hubs you like?

if they are exceptional, yes!

Do you leave comments on hubs you read?

yes.

Do you answer comments from readers on your own hubs?

yes!

6. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always rate it up if its good and I leave a comment if I think one is warranted.  I won't just post "good hub" for the sake of leaving a comment, but I do return to these good hubbers and read what they write.

2. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

That is a very great question.  I always try and leave comments on the hubs I read.  I almost always respond to comments on my hubs.

The thing Im lacking at is rating hubs up.  Not because I dont want to but because I forget and as of right now I am going to put in a better effort at remembering to do that.

Thanks for the reminder

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image59
      Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do try to always watch my "Hubiquette" while Hubbing, but I have been known, sorry, to write in various Forums with my mouth full, oh and while we are on the subject some have complained that I wear my pencils too short and my keyboard is too shallow....

1. profile image0

lol  haha

2. rmcrayne profile image90

Exactly what Dale said.

3. UltimateGamer profile image61
    UltimateGamerposted 14 years ago

I try to engage hubbers that would be interested in what I post about and comment on their hubs. Sometimes I wonder if they are still even active. Would be cool if it showed last logged in. Or if it does already point it out to me please wink

1. rmcrayne profile image90

You can go to their profile and check their Hubtivity.

4. profile image52
    Suezposted 14 years ago

I just joined yesterday, and this is the first input I will have on HP, I think this is a great way to start - by finding out there's actually a thing called hub etiquette or "hubiquette". Great one for beginners.

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image59
      Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Alot of what is said in here is in jest, so you'll have to weed out faq's from just letting off tension from writer's fatigue.... but you'll love the community spirit, welcome you HubPages!

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Yes, yes and yes.

And I wish more people would take more time to flag the spam.

1. Dale Mazurek profile image63
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Relache do you mean the obvious hubs that have no profile picture, just joined 10 minutes ago and have 4 hubs up already being blatant selling.  Even though we know we will probably never see them again.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Dale, I mean everything.  The spam in the forums (and that's where I wish people would learn to just NOT reply so a clean erasure can happen), the spam in the answer section, and the spam Hubs.

It's like picking up trash.  Five minutes a day from everyone and HubPages would be immaculate.

1. Dale Mazurek profile image63
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for responing and clarifying for me and I totally understand and agree.

I am a marketer but I do it very carefully as to not be one of those people.

2. rmcrayne profile image90

I'm getting the hang of it.  Often don't respond at all, just report.  I screwed one up today though.  I thought it could have been innocent for this particular poster, and wanted to inform her.  Unfortunately, I hit quote/reply instead of just reply.  I tried to edit and it just wouldn't let me get rid of the OP, although I did delete the link.  Oh well, hub and learn.

7. profile image0

I absolutely hate the spam---the stuff in the forums is a little easier to spot but you're right, it would be nice if everyone knew not to quote them or to just ignore it and flag them.

8. starme77 profile image75
    starme77posted 14 years ago

I do - except I get behind in replying back - like I am now - because I'm here and should be there - sometimes the forums get fun and time gets away - other times - since I'm on 24/7 altzheimers care duty at home  - plus the two teenagers,the dog - and the cats , my website ,my state required tax education - and... well life in general on top of that  I do my very best - to answer others though,and to comment on hubbs, I think its very important to share with - and encourage others and I of course appreciate all who have shared with and encouraged me smile

9. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

If a new person leaves a comment on my Hubs or fans me, I make a point to check out their profile - read one or two hubs and leave comments.

I'm still not able to comment on ALL Hubs of the people I have fanned - immediately they publish Hubs, but I'm working on it. I comment on as many as I can.

Its really helpful the way HP send them all in just one email now. smile

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I love hubtivity! I have been doing more reading then writing lately and find I want to comment before I have even finished reading! Its the interaction here that really keeps me coming back. My first hour as a member of this site I had 3 fans and 2 comments, I was hooked! I don't think this site would be as popular as it is if people didn't have a good level of hub etiquette. Even when I am tired and not up for writing anything the forums are a great way to keep active as well as all the gems I have found of late to read. I actually look at if I get comments from my friends here as an indication of if a page I have written is any good. If I write something and it gets no comments it often does not get much traffic from google and while fun to write is not going to attract traffic and clicks. I would not ask people to comment on every thing I write if the comment is not going to be genuine and give me an idea of if it was a valuable page I wrote. As such I do not make lip service comments on pages that bored me or held no interest, my comments are always a genuine sign that I enjoyed a page or topic and found it of value. I could go on and on about how great the community is here but I think it would get boring!

11. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I don't know no stinckin' hubtiket! wink

12. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Good question!  I always respond to the comments left for me (and I wonder how many of these people come back and read the response) and I always leave a comment for the hub that I have read.  I believe that feedback is the best way to improve and to change.  BTW, thanks to all who leave me comments and flag me up (and, yes, I flag too!)  big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Beth, which is why I don't respond to comments left for me, unless I have something worthwhile to say.  It's like saying "thank you" to someone after they've left the room - pointless.  If you want to show appreciation, it's much more effective to go and leave a comment on one of their Hubs instead.

We've had the debate several times on the forums, about whether it's "polite" to thank people for comments they leave on your Hub. I think it's entirely a matter of personal taste and not part of "hubiquette" at all.

13. profile image0

I love that most everyone here seems to realize how important comments can be. They let us know that what we've written is being read and enjoyed and keeps our hubs active in hubtivity.

Plus they can be a nice way to say hello big_smile

14. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Hello Miss Pretty smile

I put out the trash, leave comments, rate hubs up, behave in the forum and drink Vodka on the QT. I'm a good hubber me tongue

1. Paradise7 profile image68
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Froggie, you're the best.

I try to be good.  I usually do thank & leave a comment, but sometimes forget to rate up.  I'll make a better effort in the future, because so many of the hubs really deserve it.  So much good writing, and I love to read.

15. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I's a good girl to

16. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty good at everything except replying to comments. Sometimes I feel its unnecessary after I just wrote 2000 words about what I think and called it a hub. I thank people as often as I can but I also avoid beginning debates with people that are obviously just trawling for an argument. The forum is the place for debates and conversations. Hubs are where you say what you want and leave it to others. I feel like if you have to keep going back through your comment chain to make your point you failed to do a good job in the hub. Say what you need to then let your hub stand on its own. That's just my take on it though, and to be honest I just don't spend alot of time re-reading my own stuff. I prefer to read other people's hubs.

I do make a point to rate people's work though and hopefully help them out. I even try to click an ad or two if there's something interesting on. Why not?

17. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Yep.Part and parcel of the hubber community.Like to encourage newbies by giving them a comment on their first hubs.Wouldnt mind some readers leaving a few more comment though.Seem to get a lot of hubbers reading my boredom hub, but no one adds any that they thought of.

1. profile image0

you may be getting views from outside HP. Sometimes non hubbers don't comment

18. torimari profile image69
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I'm not that good with it. Haha, I try to comment a few times a day and rate up and read hubs (I like).

As far responding to comments, I always forget...hubpages really needs to invest some time into a reply button.

19. broussardleslie profile image75
    broussardleslieposted 14 years ago

Now that you mention it, I do not always check for a reply to my comments.  Seeing as I always respond to comments made on my hubs, I should look for those responses.  Thank you for the tip!

20. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

HP does have a number of sweeties here indeed wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)