Comments? Yikes!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Rachelle Williams profile image91
    Rachelle Williamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/15399867.jpg
    Hello guys and gals! I've returned to HP after a lengthy absence and I've noticed they have apparently stripped us of our ability to post comments... How are you all dealing with this unfortunate new change?

I mean...How in the world am I supposed to comment on Dora Weithers (MsDora) almost daily posts if I've been restricted??? lol (kinda funny, but NOT funny.)

It appears that we can only comment on hubs when we go into author mode or when the hub is first created and we see it on the front page, is this accurate?

Also, is it me or do you notice a lot of extremely low quality profiles being setup on an almost daily basis?

Please forgive my ignorance, but this is a lot to take in...

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back, Rachelle!

I replied to your email not too long ago. Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I hope what I wrote in my reply helps you until HP modifies the Maven platform to include comments.

BTW, the article you mentioned in the email garnered 314 comments before it was moved to Discover. That tells you something about the community's reaction to losing our lifeline. Frankly, I was surprised HP moved it to Discover, since it's a rant about losing the ability to comment. I still have far too many articles stagnating on the original site, so that move was a shocker.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back! Yes, there are lots of changes and I wish that comments will be back soon.

3. savvydating profile image88
      savvydatingposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I feel you. It's weird not being able to comment, although I see some people are managing to comment nonetheless. Guess that means I do not have everyone I follow on my feed... although I thought I did.

This all seems so odd. I don't like this change and only hope it is not permanent.

Thanks for bringing it up.

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

Hi Rachelle,

Welcome back smile

Yes there are plenty of changes. Too many to list - you'll just have to wander around and pick up what you can.

The biggest, most recent one is that there is a staging post between the old hubpages.com site and the network sites. All the dross - and I have some smile - has sunk there, while the relatively better articles are on discover.hubpages.com.

Comments are temporarily disabled. They're supposed to be coming back soon.

Yes, there a ton of low quality accounts appearing. All thanks to one idiot on YouTube with a zillion followers. He's told them they can post their 'daily life stories' or use software to spin articles. Most of them can barely read English, let alone write it.

x

3. Rachelle Williams profile image91

Oh My Word! (low quality accounts)

Well, I'm HAPPY to hear that the comments are coming back - that one had me over here all depressed and whatnot.

Thank you for taking the time to fill me in on these details, I guess I'll get to cleaning up my articles - I've already cut out about 60 low performing articles that I'd had up since 2011...

Thanks again!

4. Rachelle Williams profile image91

I just read your email - THANK YOU for the back door tip! 314 comments? That's awesome, now I don't see myself as being silly for being upset about the loss of the ability to comment.
    Thank you again!

You're welcome, Rachelle!

5. Eurofile profile image96
    Eurofileposted 3 years ago

Welcome back. There have been a lot of changes. Another hubber kindly told me that I can still comment on articles by going through my Hubfeed. So I have managed to do that. Alternatively  if am quick, I can sometimes catch an article before it is moved onto the new format.

6. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

Welcome back RW. The changes were frequent. I hope you'll find the new hubpages interesting.

Rachelle Williamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Miebakagh, I think "interesting" is a good word for it... I am trying to get back in the swing of things and I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to earn passive income here.  Thank you for the welcome!

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
        Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Richelle Williams, you're okay, and I'm okay.

7. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

Welcome back Rachelle. It isn’t like a soap opera here. If you go away for a few months and return you sure notice the changes.

Good one, John! You made me chuckle. But, so true! :-)

2. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

lol That's for sure.

3. Rachelle Williams profile image91

Jodah... “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives,” lol!

8. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Welcome back Rachelle! Yes, it's not the same place anymore. I need to make time to sift through mediocre hubs, too. It is so weird to me that the issue about subpar accounts keeps coming up, for whatever reason. I just don't understand HP's logic sometimes. It's not like those accounts are bringing in money, right?

Hi Jan - I'm hoping you're right. I can't imagine the bring in money for anyone. Thank you for the welcome, it's good to be back!

9. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 3 years ago

We will have them soon. I hope.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Agree. All things being equal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)