How To Recognize A Liberal When You Meet One

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (103 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Had an "interesting"  experience in the Home Depot  parking lot this afternoon.  Pulled in, got a "pull through" spot  so I could leave later without backing up.  In that particular lot, about every tenth vehicle does that.  I've never seen anyone get upset about the  practice...until today.  I "sensed" another car coming around, and when he stopped out in front, I could "feel"  that he thought I  ought to back up and give him  the spot I'd just claimed.  (He'd be pulling in from the other direction). 

Not likely I'd yield in that fashion,  of course.  I was fully parked before he even rounded the corner.  Nor was  it  like the parking lot was full--there were plenty of open spots  remaining.  So I shut the car off,  got  out, locked up,  and the guy (in his seventies, probably--white hair, anyway--and his wife with  him), the guy rolled down  his window and yelled at me,

"If you were a nice guy, you would have backed up  like you should have!"

I didn't answer verbally, just gave him that sort  of shrug, the one where your hands are kind of  forward and out to the sides but down below  belt  level but out to the sides, palms facing the guy.  You know, sort  of nonverbally saying,

"So?"

He kind of spluttered and drove off.   Presume he  found another parking spot.  But it  made me think,  and I'm 99.999% certain I'd just met a liberal. 

After all, who but a liberal attempts  to  control  people by efforts at character assassination, control  in the sense  of hopefully "forcing" people who've already established their own  positions to back down, go all submissive, and give 'em all you've got?

Yup.  Must've been a liberal.  Didn't see an Obama bumper sticker on his set of wheels, but stilll...

1. Pr0metheus profile image59
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought the cut/paste thing worked quite well, too.  A lot of fingers pointing back there, eh?

Whole thing is silly.  People that get under your skin because of some minor little thing don't hold a Party Ticket in their left hands while doing so.  Get real,grow up, it's a tough old world and not everyone is nice, in any party, religion, race, age or ethnic group.

Not everyone in a particular party, race, age group, gender, religion or ethnic group is the thing from hell you apparently encountered in the parking lot, either.

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This form of aggression is all over the place. And then, of course, you're the bad guy. Did he say hello to you? Wish you good morning? ASK you to, perhaps, help him out? Show even one shred of humility or respect toward you?

Sounds like you were in California

So he must have been a liberal.  I see the same behavior from conservatives.  It's ridiculous to say that bad behavior is limited to any group.  Would I have gotten pissed if I were that guy?  Nope.  I'm pretty liberal.  Have I seen a conservative do that exact same thing?   Yes!  The difference is, I can prove it.  The lady who complained had a 'Real Wives Vote Republican' sticker on the back of her giant SUV.

I'm not saying all republicans act that way. I'm just saying if you're going to post a thread like this at least make the situation somewhat relevant to liberalism, or the insulted group in general.  This describes everyone.

Go rent 'Thank You For Smoking'.

1. nicomp profile image62
          nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go rent 'Chisum'.

2. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um, well, maybe...indirectly.  I expected to see him and his Mrs. in the store shopping after he did finally get his car parked.  Never saw hide nor hair, though, so maybe my lack of kowtowing made him nervous and he left?  That would be showing respect in a way...or showing something, anyway.

In all fairness, though, it's a pretty good sized store.  We could've legitimately missed each other.

Prometheus, the snip-and-insert counterpunching system doesn't really work all that well for this one.  Only liberals.

I thought it worked quite well.  Thanks for responding to my actual post.  I'll chalk one up into the 'Ridiculous Conservative Comment' column.

1. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course, you don't have a 'Ridiculous Liberal Comment' column do you?

pot. kettle. black.

Of course I do, and I'll admit some of what I've said has gone to that column.  At least I recognize it.  Do you?

And yes, kettle... you're looking quite black today.

1. profile image0

Um...How did my comment make the "Ridiculous Conservative" column?  I'm an Independent, so maybe it should have gone to the  Ridiculous Independent Comment.  Then again, I do tend to be Conservative on fiscal issues while at the same time being a rampant Liberal on social issues (some of 'em, anyway),so maybe coin a new term--ConBal, or possibly LiberAtive.

Guess the real point is that I made a list.  Ah!  Does that perhaps mean I made the A list?  lol

One highly amusing aspect of the parking lot incident was the fellow's apparent assumption that I ought to care one way or the other regarding his opinion of me (as a "nice guy", a "Darth Vader", or whatever), when in truth my only emotional reaction was:

AHA!  Fodder for a Forum Post!  big_smile

2. profile image0
                A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will give Pr0metheus this, he knows when he has said something dumb!

It saddens me to think that I am more mature than most of the conservatives I have encountered on these forums.  Most of them probably have 10 to 20 years on me.

1. profile image0
                    Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try 30 to 40 years.  Seriously, at the moment.

2. profile image0

That was a compliment, Pro.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why do you assume he was a liberal?

he could have been anything.

i assume liberals are peace-loving and mellow....

4. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would call it passive aggression.  What he did was assert a kind of commonality that is in the "should be book"  You know that book when you get into an argument with someone who refers to something that is supposed to be the same for everyone but it is only them that know it.

I would really call it "old age road rage"

5. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Should have said: Hey if you had a car faster than that Chevrobama Hybrid your drivin, I would not be parked here!

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard Toyota and Chevrolet are merging on an Obama design, for an e-friendly car.

Going to call it a "Toy-let" Runs on methane, 2 seats, no waiting
        and with an MSRP of 6500 American Jobs!

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Ridiculous.  In your neck of the woods in AZ, it's almost 80% conservative...and generally, the 'blue hairs' are conservative. A fact everyone else who lives here seems to know.

This whole post is also an extreme case of stereotyping.

And no, I'm not officially 'a liberal,' but definitely have been stereotyped by the little group here as one.

--an 'e-LITA-ist' libertarian

1. profile image0

I hadn't actually "pegged" you as a liberal, Lita...but freely  admit you might never have guessed that from my posts to date.  I do suspect (he wrote, tongue firmly in cheek) that you may have cloned yourself--how  else could any one  person keep up with the Forums as thoroughly as you do and still manage to earn a living?  Any "hot"  political thread I've ever spot checked has always contained at least one or two of your comments.  In that regard (not tongue in cheek), I stand in awe of your prowess.

To step my own contribution up a few notches to the level of  "So Easy A Caveman Can Do It":  Libertarian good.  Need more.  Two party system not good.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Ghost32 even in the liberal state of Massachusetts I'm considered very liberal and I pull through to park all the time. Nope I don't think there's a correlation on this one.

4. profile image0

And yet, people do seem to know that I'm a liberal. I wonder what gives it away, now that you bring up the subject?

I don't wear my Obama button any more. No political stickers on my bumper.

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're from Massachusetts. It's a safe bet.

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But when I'm out and about in Baltimore - people still assume I'm a liberal. Like when I'm buying ice cream at the Inner Harbor I get nailed.....oh, maybe it's my accent. hmmm. Gotta sound like I'm a Baltimore girl.

1. profile image0

I guess no one shops in Massachusetts anymore.

1. profile image0
            Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No No, I shop plenty in Massachusetts too. Because of my husband's work I spend time in both places. And before you say it, we still have work in Massachusetts.

1. profile image0

Shopping in Mass would definitely peg you as a liberal, who else would want to spend so much.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Well, Ghost, if it makes you feel any better, you're on MY A-list! lol

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Ghost, the funny thing is - I had exactly the same experience yesterday, only that I was on the other side. lol

I did curse him, too - but just in my mind, and quietly proceeded to another parking spot. lol

7. profile image0

Even on Cape Cod we have a Wal-Mart, a BJs, and lots of national chains too smile

Ooops Ravens just scored! Gotta go watch game in earnest.

8. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

This posting is highly

http://startrekshirt.com/images/ILLOGICAL2.jpg

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you a screamer?

9. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Why Roobee? I do see logic here. Liberals feel entitled to whatever other people have, including a parking spot. smile

10. Stillthinking profile image61
    Stillthinkingposted 14 years ago

I'm a liberal and I'm scrupulously polite.  I also am so liberal, I don't drive.  I ride my bike everywhere and use public transportation.

It's conservatives that drive like jerks in their gas guzzling SUVS.  I'm fairly certain that the lady who hit me last weekend in her Lexus SUV was a Republican. How do I know this?  The Bush/Cheney sticker from 2004 was the giveaway.

1. profile image0

lol

(But sorry you were hit!)

1. Stillthinking profile image61
        Stillthinkingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I'm fine! 

Totally uninjured and the really great thing is that so many people stopped to help me.  The lady with the SUV though?  Couldn't be bothered to even roll down her window to check and see if I was OK.  There was this passerby who was so incensed at her indifference, he actually rapped on her window to demand that she apologize.

1. blue dog profile image61
          blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

rapping on a window -sounds like something a liberal would do, maybe even a libertarian.

today i was inside home depot (not outside in the parking lot), requested help in the plumbing department.  ten minutes later the paged help still hadn't shown up.  he was paged again.  another 10 minutes elapsed, he still hadn't shown his face.  must have been a conservative.

so i left.  sounds like something a liberal would do.

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Were you running a red light, as all liberal cyclists do? wink

1. Stillthinking profile image61
        Stillthinkingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I was in the bike lane waiting for the light to change and she decided to make a right turn.  She didn't see me sitting there, waiting for the light to change and drove right into me.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This does not fit my stereotypes, therefore it could not happen. wink

3. profile image0

Noooo! It was a liberal pulling a mind freak to make innocent conservatives look like enimies of the enviroment. The fact that you weren't killed proves it! Conservatives can kill any oneover the age of 18, no problem! Here's the catch, you would have to be a baby for a liberal to kill you!

11. R P Chapman profile image60
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

So the formula appears to be something like:

someone upsets me = they belong to a group I don't like.

Using that formula it would be reasonable to say something like:

I parked at Home Depot the other day and an old man yelled at me for no apparent reason. I'm 99.9% sure he was a neo-nazi.

Gotta love the logic! smile

1. profile image0

haha!! those naughty neo-nazis! big_smile

12. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

In my experience old people in general are just cranky  and think anyone with teeth should bow down and make way for them so I guess by the logic of this post all old people are just jerks. I've not really seen behaving like a jackass restricted  to a political point of view before but I'll keep my eyes peeled from now on. If we're going to make generalizations then everyone who didn't fight with me in Iraq and Afghanistan is a gutless coward and a poor patriot then, I mean since we're making generalizations that is.

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I learned about horse sense many years ago. It's the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. Just don't do it. Was that gull liberal when he shiit on my truck in that Walmart lot? After all he could've shiit on Walwart. Maybe he was just spreading it around. I couldn't read the bumper sticker on his ass. Of course I'm old.

1. profile image0

omg haha!!! smile

14. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Sure sounds like the dude was shaming you, for sure.

15. Colebabie profile image62
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Sounds like the guy was just a d-bag and making a big deal out of something stupid. Doesn't make him a liberal.

1. profile image0

I agree!

16. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Couldn't have been a member of the democratic Congress, he put up too much of fight.

But typical conservative response.  You got what is yours and the hell with everyone else.  Who cares that the old guy had to walk a long ways.  Compasssionate conservatism at its best

1. profile image0

And the liberal response? Get out of vehicle scream racist at the old man fall down and cry while turning circles on the parking lot. Flag down the first vehicle driving by and demand that they pay for your dirty and torn clothes.

You know I love you Pappa!

17. michaelchester profile image60
    michaelchesterposted 14 years ago

GHost, seems like a no brainer to me. You aggresively went after the goal and attained it. Sure sign of your conservative (read as capitalist) tendencies. Once you claimed the prize, there was someone there telling you that you had to share it with them. Sure sign of a liberal. Let someone else do the work and then claim it as your own. The only thing that puzzles me is why they did not call and report you to the government. Perhaps your license plate has been submitted to that white house web site.

18. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

I had a recent run in with a road rage that was kind of funny.  I was going down to the coffee shop through the small town I live in and a car ran right up on my bumper. 

The speed limit is 30 mph and the area is full of kids and animals.  I kept the speed steady at 30 and got to a fork in the road which I took to the left.  The tailgater sped to the right and ran down to the main road.  I too ran into the main road from her left.  She came barreling up the road and once again jumped on my bumper to where I could not even see her headlights in the mirror.  She blasted her horn and showed me what her social finger looked like where I promptly pulled off and let her go by.

She ran at what seemed to be at least twice the speed limit through the heart of town past two schools and a library. 

Guess what I encountered at the coffee shop.  She had backed in and when she saw me pull in she locked her doors while I the 800 pound gorilla got out of my little car and walked right by her without saying a word.

Moral of story is don't poop in your own back yard, the smell might get on you.

19. Kaabi profile image60
    Kaabiposted 14 years ago

I thought liberals were usually nicer than conservatives.  After all, it is liberals who promote social programs while it is conservatives who usually promote individual hard work and letting the needy find their own way out.  I'm a Democrat myself, and I believe we should help those who need help.

1. profile image0

How do you explain conservatives giving more to charities than liberals?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 16_pf.html

1. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do these charities include their churches? The stingiest bunch are secular conservatives.

1. profile image0

Really? Prove it!

1. profile image0

Ok, the same guy claims that to be the case, I can live with that. But what does that have to do with who gives more overall? And I don't follow the peace corp thing.

You could easily argue that the religious, by giving to their church, are just trying to do some PR with their neighbors, and buy themselves entry into heaven. (This is my guess; I'm not completely secular--although I'm not Christian--and donate to non-religious charities, so I can't say).

Re: Peace Corps, that was a reference to your point "Is it not compassionate to teach someone to fish so they can eat everyday?"

1. profile image0

Well the United States Military is overwhelmingly conservative and I would bet that they have done more for peoples of other nations than the Peace Corp. I am not just talking about freeing people who are oppressed but showing them how to make clean water ETC

1. rhamson profile image72

I was in the Peace Corps and I think you have it a little backwards.  The Peace Corps while helping other countries through educational and technical endeavors also helps the US by being ambassadors to the countries they serve in.

The country I served in had so many people think that we all carried around machine guns and lived in mansions.  They did not know of our military prowess and wanted to learn more about America than we did of them.

2. livelonger profile image85

That's true, although they are paid handsomely to do all those things...unlike Peace Corps volunteers. smile

But if you want to bring in professions that instruct people how to help themselves, we might look at...teachers. Wonder what their general political leanings are?

2. profile image0

Is it not compassionate to teach someone to fish so they can eat everyday? Or is it more compassionate to give them a handout every time they get hungry?

Never ran a poll myself but would be interested to see what political affiliation Peace Corps volunteers are. If they are anything like the group I was in (Poland, '99-'01) then they are overwhelmingly liberal.

3. nicomp profile image62

Liberals promote social programs that cripple the human spirit. Free housing, free food, and free money are a sick strategy to build a dependent underclass. We've spent trillions on the War on Poverty and we have more poor, not less. The vast majority of people on the dole wouldn't need help if they had a little incentive to get out and make their own way.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Mindset-of- … Impact-You

Very well said.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. rhamson profile image72

Your statement is a bit of a misnomer.  The intent of the creation of liberal programs is failed due to the ability of the government to institute them.  The statement is of course made that way to vilify liberals.  It also presents a very perverse conspiracy theory of enslavement and laziness.

When you turn your anger in a direction such as this you are lost in your own inadequacies.  I feel sorry for you.

You'd be better off addressing issues rather than telling individuals how sorry you feel for them.

1. rhamson profile image72

Judging by your demeanor in your previous posts I don't know if that is a threat or an expression of hurt feelings.
              I guess you personalized the reference to you as an attack rather than an observation and some hope for you.
              I guess that distracted you from addressing the issues raised by your ignoring your generalized accusations of something you don't have the capacity or inclination to relate too.
              I do still feel sorry for you and your anger.

Just some friendly advice.

2. tksensei profile image61

You will refrain from personal attacks please. Thank you.

2. nicomp profile image62

You feel sorry for me? Then you are a Liberal. Instead of respecting my opinion and honoring my diversity, you look down on me. I suspect you'd obligate me into a diversity program if you had that authority. I thank God you are not in authority over me.

You know better than I what's best for me; you are a Liberal.

You have anointed yourself qualified to judge my inadequacies; you are a Liberal.

When, oh when, will a program waste enough resources to be considered a failure? How many trillions more must be flushed before a Liberal admits that warehousing people in free apartments and handing out free food might tend to stifle the human spirit and subsidize the very behavior they seek to eliminate?

Never.

Liberals don't care about the possibility of the human spirit. They seek to cultivate a society of dependency. Deep down they know that regardless of how far away they might be from a problem, that they always know better than those they (ostensibly) seek to help and also those they seek to bring down.

They nurture a system based on class envy. They hold up the rich as people to be distrusted. They vilify big business while happily building big government. They demonize any financially successful individual who disagrees with them.

But Liberals always mean well. When the The Great Society is demonstrated to be a failure, when it collapses under the weight of 40 years of data, they insist they need *more* of other people's money.

More money. Personal responsibility? Nah! More money is the solution.

They contend that they still know better than the poor they claim to represent. They purchase human dignity with monthly checks, strip away incentive to improve, and build in excuses to fail, all in the name of social change that can in reality can only be brought about by simply getting out of the way.

They'll never get out of the way. That would mean letting go of their political power.

But they do mean well.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Mindset-of- … Impact-You

1. profile image0

Interesting, Nicomp, that this is your longest post ever, on this stereotypical thread, wink...and it does seems to be something of your entire Hubpage forum approach and reads like a manifesto.

2. rhamson profile image72

You have a lot of distortions to work out.  There is so much anger and misinterpretation in your diatribes that I would not know where to begin.  So I will agree that we both feel that we are wrong.  I am sorry that you believe I am something I am not but that would take a whole other moderate conversation.

The only thing I can say is thank God I still have the ability to cancel out your vote on any of these issues.

20. Colebabie profile image62

Not sure about the political affiliation of Peace Corps volunteers but 60% are female!

21. Colebabie profile image62

Well it is true that the mission of Peace Corps is to "To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served."

22. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Okay - so back to the OP.  Now if my Uncle did that in a parking lot - I would not be surprised.  Nor am I surprised when he stands in the middle of Lowes snapping his fingers & calling for someone to wait on him.  Is he a liberal - OH MY GOSH NO!  He is OLD!

1. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You tell 'em, Jane!

cool

I thought this guy was a real joker trying to make a political issue out of a minor parking lot experience.

23. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It's easy! They smell funny! They smell like granola, wheat germ, tofu and pot. Next question!

24. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've been gone for 5 days, got home, ate, checked my mail, etc., and here are the forums, exactly the same.  the description you give could have been anyone, what a crazy assumption. hmm

25. profile image0

Just for general information...  The US military is changing politically.  More soldiers than before identify themselves as liberals.  My partner is a liberal and was an army officer, ie.  ...I have heard younger soldiers, also, just couldn't fathom the Bush admin's disregard for the Geneva Convention code on torture, for one thing...

And yes...Peace Corp volunteers are paid approximately $6,000-$8,000 per year.  That goes for state side Peace Corp (VISTA), too.  I was one.  And it is all about CREATION of programs in communities.  The military is paid quite a bit more in comparison.

Of course, the US military performs humanitarian aid...more and more that is some of their function.  That is why there is talk of a service corp, or at least that's what I have heard.

26. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Liberal Military? Uh huh

1. profile image0

Yep.  He reads Huffington Post religiously and listens to Air America (unless I make him stop...I hate it).  lol  He wanted to check my ballot to make sure I voted for Obama (haha).

No lie.  I posted a thread on military opinions before this new lil group got here, and the younger soldiers identified against Bush, especially against the torture stuff.  It is against everything they are taught, after all...

1. profile image0

Bush was not a conservative, so thats kind of a bogus approach.

Air America?

The Huffington post Ok, nothing else needs to be said then.

1. profile image0

Air America is the liberal radio version of Rush Limbaugh (but not as bad, granted...)  I call it "liberal hate radio."

And last time I checked, this new lil group here vehemently defended all things Bush.  You aren't all 'conservatives,' and Bush, too?

1. profile image0

My Question about Air America was not who are they, it was why would you use them as a source? I don't defend everything Bush did, hell just today nicomp said I wasn't a conservative at all, just because I defend unemployment benefits.

Bush did some good things no matter what you or the other liberals say, at least on the matter of Foreign policy we were not taken as wimps!

2. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tex, this might interest you:

Tomorrow, a recruiter-bashing organization called “We Are Not Your Soldiers” is holding a national protest on the anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan. Schoolchildren are being encouraged to distribute letters “to all high school teachers you know.” When protesting, they are also being instructed “to assure the media are present.” They’ve set up a Facebook page. And, unsurprisingly, the driving force behind “We Are Not Your Soldiers” is the anti-American Communist-founded World Can’t Wait:

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/10/05/in … -tomorrow/

1. atomswifey profile image57
        atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep and then next they will be sending in their own recruiters for Obama's "citizen police force".

27. profile image0

Yeah....and my general point (I see all is becoming tangled, huh?) is that stereotyping sucks.  smile

And my bf doesn't listen to Air America "as a source."  I'm pretty sure he listens to it for the same reason conservatives listen to Limbaugh radio.  I don't get that kind of blind 'party' affiliation for kicks or emotion, and never did.  Hate mongering is hate mongering and obfuscation is obfuscation...

1. profile image0

I doubt very seriously that the majority of those in the Military will decide to side with the Party that has shown time after time they despise them.

I first heard Limbaugh twenty years ago and have continued to listen to him off and on all these years, he isn't what most people think of him but they think it because they are told that is how he is.

Stereotyped? Yes! I don't think he or Fox news mind that stereotype its what brings in the ratings. I'm sure its the same for the limited viewership that MSNBC has or the listeners of Air America, so stereotyping doesn't always suck.

28. profile image0

Well, maybe not for the $, but there are other ways to make $. 

It does to me, suck.  I do not find it an honest way to look at the world, basically.  Oh, well...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)