Are Some Children Being Raised To Disrespect America?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 2 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/15636357_f1024.jpg
    Ran across this video of a child and his mom on a bike ride. The child comes upon an American flag he stops to pull it out and toss it on the ground, as mom calmly looks on. 

So, let me share what I felt --- sick, disgusted,  mad, and so glad I was not witnessing this in person. Because to put it mildly, this woman would have got an ear full at best.

We have some real mutants raising children here in America. Maybe time to say you don't like America --- LEAVE

Here's the little darling disrespecting the flag, as Mom looks on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daGQ-eBhpuU

Thought's

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I saw it too. So strange, I can't even process it.

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

All of this fanfare over a mischievous kid and indifferent parent? The issue is one of trespassing and desecration of private property. I don't see the need for some sort of broad political controversy.

I am more concerned about our adherence to the values our flag is to represent over the physical symbol, itself.

Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I disagree ---  The majority of American's respect the flag for various reasons. One such reason, it is symbolic and honors those that died to keep us free.   It is a traditional symbol, yes a piece of cloth that keeps many of us attached or commitment to a cause, that cause being freedom...  I would venture to say the majority of Americans value freedom, and will fight to keep it. They always have...

No accounting for some's parenting skills. The mom did not seem at all to care if her child was trespassing or posing his will or ideologies on another citizen. Sort of like last summer's "summer of love" riots.

This kind of acceptance is not healthy for any society. This is one season leftist's ideologies are always slapped back. They are not healthy for the mainstream or excepted by the majority.

1. Credence2 profile image79

Geez, Sharlee, a mischievous boy pulls a flag from the ground and throws it down. Where do we get this Right wing idea that all of this is an assault on "America"?

Yes, the majority values freedom and the Left do not use the flag to hide behind or wrap ourselves up in. We all value freedom, that is why the political Right needs to be kept at bay.

I will say that mom was negligent by allowing her kid to desecrate and trespass on private property.

Why do YOU guys think you are the majority? Remember, Trump lost....

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Atrocious when viewed of what it represents. If I was the one doing the video I would just have gone to it while shaking my head then put it back. I agree the mother should have had made her son put it back simply because it was bad behavior and disrespectful of someone's property.

In my view flags are a powerful rallying symbol of some position. We see many of them today; Trump, BLM, Confederate, and even here in San Diego area I frown when I see a Mexico national flag being flown. Yet, we have the liberty to do so, thankfully.

Yet, I think it begins at home, which may say something. The only thing I can remember about the American flag in school was the flag still waving at Fort McHenry inspiring the national anthem by Key. Other than that any knowledge of what our flag represents or any flag is by osmosis. I, fortunately, learned about our flag through the Boy Scouts as well as my dad was career Marine.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago
  3. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 2 years ago

The only case of penalty of death by treason in US history. Was in 1865 by a man who was charged of treason, for burning a flag.

Wow, just a peace of Fibre.!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No, its more than a piece of fibre.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

Castlepaloma, I don't think one should be punished for not respecting their country flag. However, in the case of America's flag, it has over our history became a symbol for many things.   Freedom, being at the top of the list. Democracy, a way of life our military has fought and died to protect.

It is apparent some at this point do not hold those sentiments. Like this little boy, and his mom.  Hey, that's their right --- that is much of what our flag stands for. freedom of speech, freedom to teach your children whatever you please.

In this case, it appears mom hopes to teach her child he can trespass, destroy property that is not his own,  and disrespect the flag that gave mom all the rights she enjoys.

This mon is what in today's society is called a liberal. This kid at some point will most likely run into someone that calls the police if he decides he wants to trespass and cause some form of destruction under the umbrella of being a liberal. I know I would have called the police on this kid if he decided to do what he did on my property.  Because ya know what I have rights to... And so far the law is on my side when it comes to trespassing and vandalism.  That's American, that's what my flag stands for -- Freedom.

1. crankalicious profile image87
        crankaliciousposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Seems like much ado about nothing, but I do see your point.

The flag also represents free speech and the ability in this country to present one's opinion, even if it means desecrating the flag.

However, as liberal as I am, I would absolutely not ever let my children do this to an American flag, or frankly, a flag from any country.

This is really your argument. Imagine a child finding a flag of Kenya or China or Australia, and abusing it? The argument wouldn't be about nationalism, it would be about some prejudice against one of those countries. The American flag deserves the same respect as a flag from any country, except maybe North Korea.

Woman, did you say a mouthful...  " it would be about some prejudice against one of those countries. The American flag deserves the same respect as a flag from any country, except maybe North Korea."

This is so true --- it brings up another snag.  Prejudice in respect to the country one lives in.  How do you feel about American's that truly dislike American traditions?  The many simple traditions we have formed over many decades? Such as respecting our flag, or the pledge of allegiance. This kind of disrespect is showing prejudice, impinging on others' beliefs.

Is it not fair to just" live and let live"? Respect each other's rights, and keep the peace by just respecting others without forcing an opinon.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

To throw down this particular piece of fiber is to disrespect what it represents.
    Why disrespect a flag
    - which represents equal opportunity for all?
    - which recognizes freedom of speech and religion?
    - which provides checks and balances to protect that freedom?

5. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 2 years ago

Why do I think the left is a minority?  I actually believe there are more that reject the ideas of the left.  And I think we are starting to see the results of the far left going overboard.  When all is said and done, Most American's like America, and don't think she needs all that fixing.  Just my view.

I do think if the Democrats would have been just a bit more realistic with their agenda,  they had a chance at capturing more of a following. As it's going now, it appears they have crashed and burned.

Too overreach in our lives.  I feel the majority of American's are in no respect willing to join in on the left's fluffy ideologies. Most of us really love being self-sufficient and having all the freedoms that America offers.

Just not on board to rip something that is working, to fix it.

Trump is gone, and yes he lost. However, I always look a today, and today and it's just my opinion, many are very disillusioned with what they bought into with Biden. Many starting to realize, he is doing nothing... and was doomed from the get-go, due to gridlock. And they should be considering he knew when he made fluffy promises that he would never keep them.

Biden is a noTrump.  Trump worked his way around Congress, he worked hard to solve problems, not make new ones. We are going to have four very stagnant unpleasant years.

I can only imagine how much more Trump would have accomplished if he won.  But, this is Democracy, and I respect the process.  Presidents strive and do well, some stagnate and flounder.

Liking America may not be synonymous with the worship of the symbol. More of us like America because of the rule of law and the theoretical ideas behind all people being equal before the law. Without those substantive values placed at the forefront, the symbol is nothing more than a dirty rag. That was what the vets were fighting for, so it is important that the symbol be synonymous with what it is suppose to represent. Even if it does not happen enough in practice. When I see the rabble of January 6th carrying the America flag, is that supposed to represent love of country?

Like you say, it is your view. Me and others may have a different view. I say there is more that need fixing than you care to agree with, that is OK. But that does not mean that the more progressive thinker is anti-American. The Rights' authoritarian and semi-fascist ideology does not tickle my fancy.

In my opinion no. 45 was nothing but a nightmare.

As for Democrats crashing and burned, I'll wait until the chickens hatch.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Oh no. The first part of your comment sparked a thought . . .  But I promise no poking this time.

I think I understand what you meant, but I don't agree with your wording Maybe I have it wrong, but putting aside the fringes of either side and speaking to the majority of each side, I don't think "worship" or "liking" really represent the feelings of those that are `pro flag'.

I think the right words would be `Love' and `Respect'. If you love something you can like or dislike it a lot, but you still love it. If that's not the case, then why bother?

As for "its" symbol, I think respect is the better choice. I don't think folks are worshiping the flag itself, (that would be icky), I think they are worshiping, (that's still a little strong for me, but love and worship do usually go together), I think they are "worshiping" what the symbol represents. That seems to fit with the response that if you disrespect the symbol, you disrespect what it symbolizes.

All of that wasn't to criticize your choice of words, because I see those same words used in many other statements about this issue. I say it because I think the use of "like" and "worship" prejudice the discussion from the start.

If the conversation starts with a perspective that puts me on the defensive, (or don't agree with), from the beginning, as in; having to disagree that I like everything about something I love, (hmm . . . does the perfect wife or husband exist?), or that I worship something that I don't, then I am, almost automatically, going to harden my position—which also, almost automatically, means I will be less receptive to listening to your position.

*shrug* It was just a thought.

GA

Don't get me wrong GA, I live here and this is my home and I love it all the same regardless of its faults and there are plenty of them.

And it is true you can love someone or something but not like it a great deal. That is where I am finding myself in regards to this country within the last 10 years or so.

Respect is a good word. Studying with Jehovah's witnesses for a while, they resist the concepts of nationalism but admonish all to respect the flag and national emblems.

Respect is not necessarily placing something on a pedestal. So, from that angle both the boy and his mom displayed disrespect in my opinion. But, that is a far cry from the "love it or leave it" attitude found with conservatives.

I am more interested in protecting the ideals the flag represent than the physical emblem itself. I regard them as distinct and separate.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

2. crankalicious profile image87

I can't help but find it shocking that anyone would want more of Trump, the worst President in the history of the country - or maybe third worst by a recent poll of historians. A man who divided this country like no other. A man who stoked fear daily to get his troops in line. A President who was impeached twice.

If nothing else, a man who lies so often that his lies are many people's truth.

Don't wear masks.
      COVID is a hoax.
      Don't trust the vaccines.
      Mexico will pay for the wall.
      If I lose, it will be because they cheated.
      Georgia stuffed ballots after a water leak.

Meanwhile, the Biden economy just keeps chugging along. The stock market keeps hitting new highs (isn't this the way we tell the country is doing great? That's what I learned from 2016-2020 anyway).

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You "forgot" to mention that both impeachments were purely political ploys to eliminate a political opponent, and both efforts failed miserably to go any further than the House, dying hard in the Senate.

You also "forgot" to mention that the economy is in the is doing as well as it is (rather poorly) because Biden's policy of paying people to stay home are resulting in huge numbers of job offerings that cannot be filled.

The "rest of the story" is very often more important than the  headlines, don't you think?

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

Please let me address your list ---

Don't wear masks.-- Let me remind you of a fact..put together a task force of experts. These experts were directed to come up with mitigations. Which they did, one of which was a mask recomendation.  Trump certainly did not wear a mask much of the time. This was his right.

COVID is a hoax.--- never have heard Trump call COVID a hoax.  In fact, I could offer quote after quote of him stating the seriousness of it once he was aware of the seriousness of the virus.

Don't trust the vaccines---  Trump was the man that got us the vaccines so quickly, and he takes credit every chance he gets to brag about the efficiency of the vaccines. Trump and his family have promoted the vaccines openly ---   Don't wear masks.
        https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/1 … ine-476479
        https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 … america#ne
        https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/politics … index.html
        https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-e … ost-2021-4

Mexico will pay for the wall.-  This was a campaign promise unkept

If I lose, it will be because they cheated.-  Trump did make this statement openly.

Georgia stuffed ballots after a water leak. -  I have read that Trump felt fraud was committed due to a water leak where most workers were told to go home, but some stayed on without poll-watchers and continued to count.

In regard to the economy under Biden, I will stick with stats and facts. The fact today we are having serious inflation. ( I realize the Democrats have claimed this inflation will subside) that is yet to be a fact.

Not sure how you feel we don't have enough people to fill jobs. Our unemployment rate today is  5.9 percent versus  Trump's unemployment rate Pre-pandemic which was a historic low of 3.5
        Source ---  https://www.thebalance.com/unemployment … %204.5%25.

And we still have people that won't return to their jobs --- the total number of unemployed is 9.5 million that are supposedly looking for work. As you see we have no shortage of jobs or workers to fill those jobs.

If you consider printing money with no true monetary backup doing great --- Oh well... We can't afford to create a bubble, we may not survive this one.

I don't know or will I predict where we are headed with the economy. I can say today we are suffering under inflation, have a high unemployment rate and many sitting on the unemployment rolls that won't fill the over 9 million jobs that need filling. Do the math. Biden, made a big mistake to pay people to sit home for the summer. Most likely to make an attempt to prop up a bubble to hide the failing economy for a bit with money that he printed out of thin air --- hence a bubble that could burst at any moment.

Yes, I said I wish Trump was still in the White House, he knew how to handle problems...

1. crankalicious profile image87

Well, we disagree about Trump. Nothing will change that. I'm inclined to think anyone who supports Trump is insane, which just cannot be true, but I have a hard time believing otherwise. Frankly, your comment about social historians has me giving you new respect.

That said, every poll says the following:

Republicans resisted mask-wearing more than Democrats.
          Republicans resist getting the vaccine more than Democrats.
          Republicans believe COVID is a hoax more than Democrats.

The above is directly connected to our country's recovery. I can't figure out why Republicans don't want our country to recover. It would seem that Democrats are committed to getting the country back on its feet and Republicans are not.

In regards to inflation, Keynesian economics; etc. Republicans are always making the same complaint when Democrats are in power and ignoring spending and government bloat when they are in power. None of their spending concerns has ever come true. And also, if you look at history, stock markets and economies have done better overall under Democrats than under Republicans.

FYI, I'm not really supportive of all the spending, but what we are arguing about is not spending as both Democrats and Republicans spend wildly when in power, but who the money is getting spent on.

"Republicans resisted mask-wearing more than Democrats.
            Republicans resist getting the vaccine more than Democrats.
            Republicans believe COVID is a hoax more than Democrats."

I can truly believe these polls without asking for a resource. Let me explain, and this is strictly my view.

I have learned over the years the mindsets are very I mean very different between liberals and conservatives. So none of the polls surprise me.
            Some conservatives in many ways for some years now distrust Government altogether. Their mindsets tend to be very set on pros and cons when it comes to decision making, Most often tearing a decision down to its root. They pride themselves on the right to control their decision-making, and this sometimes can get in the way of making a sound decision. Being conservative I did the pros and cons and took the vaccine. I did come up with some serious cons, but the fact that this virus was something very much an unknown out-of-the-norm virus --- I decided I needed to take the vaccine, perhaps dammed if do, dammed if don't scenario.  I have a few conservative friends, one a Dr. That would not take the vaccine due to it not being tested long enough. So people have sound reasons for not taking it, but as I said my pros won out.
            I have not run across anyone conservative or liberal that felt the virus is a Hoax.  I am sure there are some out there...

I agree we that can need to take the vaccine to more quickly and safely rid ourselves of the virus. My main fear is that it could mutate into a more serious virus. So far we have seen it mutate into less of a killer. But, that could change, we are dealing with too many unknowns with this virus. That was my main reason for taking the vaccine.

In regard to spending, I feel we do need to spend on infrastructure, so much of our infrastructure needs to be addressed.  I hope we see a good infrastructure bill. If we are going to throw the dice and print cash, let's spend it wisely.  Both parties have had presidents that perhaps overspent. Some were put in the position they had too...

The minute the pandemic hit I expected the economy to suffer, how could it not?  My concern at this point is what actions will be taken to try to build back the economy without taking a gamble of doing further damage.

Time will tell...

2. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"I can't figure out why Republicans don't want our country to recover."

Again, comments such as this are ridiculous beyond measure.  No one wants the country to remain stagnant, spending money it doesn't have until it collapses into third world status from printing money it doesn't have.

At the same time, a great many (more than I would have believed possible) seem convinced that they will die if they get the vaccine.  Thank the anti-vaxxers first for that belief, followed by social media that spreads stories such as the one here that says 6X as many die from the poke than from the disease.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I'm starting to think there is a big problem with OVER-THINK.

The mother allowed her son to take down an American flag in someone's yard.
    Forget about trespassing and vandalism.

The act was done because the mother allowed it.

She shouldn't have, but she did because she apparently has no patriotic bone in her body.

End of story.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)