Does writing help you to become a better communicator verbally?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Rosie writes profile image85
    Rosie writesposted 12 years ago

Does writing help you to become a better communicator verbally?

It seems that writing on a regular basis would help you to gather your thoughts more easily, find the words you are looking for more readily, and become more knowledgeable in general; all of these would transfer directly to your thought processes when communicating with others verbally.  Have you found this to be true.  What is your experience?

1. Kristeen profile image69
      Kristeenposted 12 years ago

Good Question! Yes it does because when I write I have more time to organize my thoughts and therefore am able to express myself more clearly.

2. profile image0
      femmeflashpointposted 12 years ago

I think so.  At least it does if I take a little time to think before I speak.  In writing, it's a bit more spontaneous, or the words seem to form in my head faster.  If I foul, there's always the backspace button, lol.  However, I do think both writing and reading are excellent ways to reinforce proper word useage when speaking.  And, it probably helps me slow down a little.  Talking fast isn't always a good thing to be doing. smile  Good question!

3. Helena Ricketts profile image91
      Helena Rickettsposted 12 years ago

Yes, most definitely!  It makes it easier to say whats on the mind quickly.  At least I think that's a good thing, but I could be wrong.

4. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Just because you write doesn't make you better at verbal communication.  As a writer, I spent a lot of time using my writing to communicate.  But you can also hide behind your writing.  I wouldn't depend on the writing to see me through.  I would suggest taking speech classes.  I had a friend who gained a lot of confidence when he joined Toastmasters.  In a job, you get experience in verbal communication when you have to deal with the public or the people in the workplace.  Same goes for volunteer work.  You're dealing with people.  Anything you do in life which has to do with communication comes into play to make you a better communicator.  Writing is only a small part of verbal communication.  When I wanted to express myself verbally and went through with it, that's my writing skills helped me out.  You could write and be organized all you want in your writing.  But if you can't look someone in the eye or speak to a group of people without falling apart, what good are your writing skills?

5. The Blagsmith profile image70
      The Blagsmithposted 12 years ago

Hmm I am quite different from the writers below. I flummox and can get nervous in company especially if they are strangers and I get a suspicious feeling from them. I am not a great orator but I have been told I write well.

We can reflect before publishing writing, therefore tidying things up.We cannot do that orally when speaking normally. However, I did work in customer care on the telephones and I could be influential in retaining irate customers. Face to face though is quite different for me.

6. cmlindblom profile image71
      cmlindblomposted 12 years ago

It helps me write a little more properly. I very cared about spelling or proper grammer but now I actually pay more attention to what I'm writing no matter what it is. I also started using capital letters where they are supposed to.

7. randomcreative profile image87
      randomcreativeposted 12 years ago

Interesting question!  Not necessary, but I think that it certainly can.  I definitely think better on paper, so writing things out can be a great way for me to think things through before presenting them verbally.

8. jcoop profile image60
      jcoopposted 12 years ago

Absolutely, especially for English language learners.  I have had students who had a great deal of trouble communicating verbally, but made huge improvements with only daily journal writing.  You can't become a fluent speaker until you have become a fluent writer.

9. Heather McMillan profile image60
      Heather McMillanposted 12 years ago

I think being a good communicator has helped me to be a better writer. I also think my passion to read has been combined to help my writing.  I do my best to make my words, whether written or spoken, make sense and be grammatically correct.

10. moiragallaga profile image77
      moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

I would say writing would help you be a better communicator verbally because as some mentioned here, the discipline and effort involved in writing helps develop your thought processes. Writing and verbal communication are forms of expression, means of getting your message across, so improvement in one should basically help improve the other.

However, as some have pointed out, public speaking is an entirely different matter. Speaking to large groups of people or in a public setting requires certain sets of skills. Writing will help, but not in all aspects when it comes to talking to groups of people or a large crowd. Otherwise, in terms of a casual conversation or a discussion among friends, family or people you are familiar and confortable with, writing is very likely to improve your ability to communicate your thoughts and feelings to them more effectively.

11. edhan profile image37
      edhanposted 12 years ago

I find writing is more difficult than communication.

I can communicate easily with people around me but when comes to writing, I find it rather hard to express. I always envy those who can really write. They are gifted with this skill. It is not for anyone or everyone.

It is a good skill that people can write as well as communicate. But not everyone can do both though.

12. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 12 years ago

Writing and speaking use different thought processes. You can see that in the gulf between the end results when you put a piece directly on paper and when you dictate it. The division isn't complete. There is some bleeding between the methods, for instance in the vocabulary building that occurs when you write. They don't have much influence over one another, though. Few people do both well, and practicing one doesn't do much to improve the other.

13. whoisbid profile image60
      whoisbidposted 12 years ago

I am much more powerful verbally and face to face with people and find that writing can be a great hindrance to communicating when you want to explain something very complex. In fact being verbal is not enough because you also have to be demonstrative in order to get people's attention, especially an audience. Writing is a weakness of mine and I wonder if some people have it the other way around.

14. Keith Worth profile image60
      Keith Worthposted 12 years ago

For me it's a case of the chicken and the egg. My verbal skills seems directly related to my writing but I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect. I know some people whose writing skills have actually hindered their verbal communications because they're more used to having time to sit down and write a response as opposed to needing to reply more spontaneously. On the flip side I know people who become better speakers as they become better writers so I could lean either way on the subject.

15. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 12 years ago

The direct answer to your question "you" is 'no,' however my challenge isn't your examples. My challenge is cognitive functions. The words either tumble out so frickn' fast when I am dancing with hypomania - mania they aren't coherent. Or, they fall flat on the ground when in a depressed state in a jumbled mess of half sentences, convoluted words mixed together making no sense, or simply speechless. But, when in a normal, which is a setting on the washer, state my CBT is in high gear so I tend not to engage in topic discussions. However, put a keyboard in front of me and I am a totally different person - smile.

But, I believe it does cause growth in communication as a whole or a holistic view.

16. Rosie writes profile image85
      Rosie writesposted 12 years ago

I wasn't expecting so many different responses, but it makes sense since we do not all perceive things in the same way.  I personally find that when I have been writing on a regular basis, my verbal communication improves.  I feel more confident because I am able to retrieve information quicker than usual, and also the words come more easily to express whatever I am trying to communicate.  I see our brains as large file cabinets that we file new information into on a regular basis.  We can find those files more easily, the more often we access them.

17. RideRone profile image56
      RideRoneposted 4 years ago

I do think that writing can definitely help you improve in verbal communication. Communication is all about turning what your thinking about into words. It is articulating what you actually want to say and how to say it. The more you practice it the better you will become and the more natural it will be, it doesn't matter if it is written or oral communication.

Write everyday and put into words your thoughts everyday.

However, to achieve the best results I think you should be practicing your verbal skills along with writing from essay writer. Try to explain in words a complicated concept. Even if you have no one to explain the concepts to, just explain it to yourself. Instead of just thinking it, say your thoughts out loud so that you will be accustomed to solidifying your thoughts into spoken form.

If you do these two things, I think you will see huge improvement. Hope it helps.

18. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 4 years ago

I am the first to admit that I am not a great orator, especially in regard to pubic speaking. Writing has helped me with this somewhat but I am still 1000 time better at conveying my thoughts and communicating through writing than I am orally. I can think about and organise my thoughts before I put pen to paper or finger to keyboard. When it is direct word to mouth you don’t have time and I often find myself pondering what to say while the moment passes and I am left open mouthed as I try to formulate what I want to say.

19. skydancer profile image92
      skydancerposted 4 years ago

Yes and no. I have always written better than I've talked (unless I have a prepared statement or am EXTREMELY well versed on the subject -- introvert problems!) However, I have found "morning pages" helpful in improving my verbal expression. If you don't know what morning pages are, it is taking time out of your morning to write three straight pages of stream of consciousness writing. Much of the time, what comes out is a whole lot of nonsense but every now and then I'll have a big moment of revelation about something that I have known deep inside but never knew how to explain. I then know how to put them in the words verbally for future reference. Overall, however, the written word will probably always come more naturally because I am freer to be creative/imaginative, which is what I tend to thrive on.

20. EL Doll profile image83
      EL Dollposted 3 years ago

Yes and no. While it is true that writing has helped me develop speeches or simply expanded my word bank and the sentence structures I use, my communication skills haven't significantly improved due to it. In a general sense, I find that I make so many errors in my verbal communication. You can reread a sentence to check for grammatical errors but you can't do that when you are talking.

21. profile image56
      jangdongposted 2 years ago

OMG keep it up bro amazing.  slope unblocked

22. Brenda Arledge profile image80
      Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Nope.  I still struggle whenever I want to express something with words, but give me a pen a paper and I can jot it down.

The words always come out with a different meaning.

23. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years ago

Just writing things down, improves my memory retentions by.80%.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)