Communicating with the dead?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (95 posts)
  1. onaolapo1 profile image81
    onaolapo1posted 13 years ago

Does anybody actually have the power to communicate with their loved ones that passed on? Would you do it if you have the chance to say goodbye one more time?

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't communicate with them, but I've seen one. I probably could have talked to him. He spoke, but I had no idea at that moment it was a ghost.

onaolapo1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really?  How did you feel when you saw him/her? Did you get the jitters? Were you cold? please tell me more about it.  I heard people say different things about communicating with the dead.

1. profile image0

I didn't feel anything odd. After it became clear what, and who, it was; it was somewhat touching. It was just a soul, I believe making his final rounds before he passed over.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Am glad you contributed.

2. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if anyone "has the power" or not.

Do people have the power to be walking in the woods,  trip over a stump, look up, see a squirrel climbing up a tree, and there, right there, is the prettiest night owl ya ever saw; sitting there, just sitting there, .... it just happenes!

But you know how it is.       Some people always be tripping.

Lucky them.

3. Jerami profile image59

To the first portion of your question....   numerious times.

To the second half...   No.   no abilitys involved.... Maybe conditions ?   It just happens or it don't.

Well, at least it happens.

1. Jerami profile image59

It happens more often than we even realize.

Our subconcious mind holds onto much truth that our concious mind just ain't equipted to handle.

1. pennyofheaven profile image78
            pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brings to mind William Blake. If the doors to perception were cleansed we would see infinity or something like that. It is true what you say. Who can understand infinity beyond its concept?

2. onaolapo1 profile image81

Maybe I'll try to communicate with my grandfather.  He passed on 40 years ago.  Who knows, I might turn out to be the next ghost whisperer, or ghost hunter, or maybe ...ghost buster!

Good morning, 
                I could be wrong, but I think that "Trying" to communicate with the spirit world is kinda like  "Trying" to get a butterfly to land on your arm. 
                Which isn't imposible.
                Then; proving that you were sucussful is just as dificult.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or, more precisely, trying to flap your arms and fly to the moon. smile

I like that smile

2. profile image0

hey beelzedad. See how nice onaolapo was to everyone? Nobody agreed in here and his response to all of us was extremely courteous. We should spearhead the effort to make everybody post that nice.

Thanks for the compliments just_curious.  I believe we can all make a difference in this world with our attitude.  It's all about the attitude.  We always have to watch what comes out of our mouth, our tongue is as sharp as a two edged sword.  It can make us and can also break us.

Thanks once more, I really appreciate your contribution.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

What does that have to do with me? I am always courteous. smile

2. profile image0

Actually jerami, it is not that difficult to get a butterfly to land on your arm, but I wouldn't argue your point.

I agree it is not that difficult'  but Ya gotta be in the right place, at the right time and some other stuff gotta be working in your favor,  and then ,  I it wants to it will do it.

But nobody has got the power to make it happen;  That I know of.

1. profile image0

Yes. You certainly can't will them to do it.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72
                Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"could be wrong, but I think that "Trying" to communicate with the spirit world is kinda like  "Trying" to get a butterfly to land on your arm.
                  Which isn't imposible.
                  Then; proving that you were sucussful is just as dificult."

I pour sugar water on my arm and take a picture of the butterfly landing on it if I want to get a butterfly to land on my arm and prove that I did it.

Will that work on the spirit world, too?

4. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anybody actually have the power to communicate with their loved ones that passed on?

To do so, would require the passed on individual to have an actual working body, brain, as this is where the sensory exists, which enables sending-receiving of speech.
      Now, some say there is a spiritual communication that exceeds human vocal, which is generally possible. So, in order for an object human (one with body/brain) they would require full spiritual understanding, have that communication perception and able to "speak spirit".

This claim is the basis for many psychics and spiritualists who say they can do so. (and some Pentecostals too, who say they "speak spirit")

On the other side,
      Why would a passed-on person return to speak to you?
      How would they return?
      How would they navigate the materialized world having no mind, brain to direct them?

James.

From your explanation, I actually believe for anybody to claim that they communicated with the dead, he or she must probably be high on something that makes him or her delusional, which in turn will result into hallucinations of some sort, and then the so-called dead to living communication starts.

If you notice, before anybody is committed to the coo-coo house, they always talk about seeing something or hearing something, at that point in time, they tell you they are communicating with the spirits.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope.
      God condemns that practice.

Really? Why?

1. profile image0

Hey penny. I could be wrong, but the only place I know where they talk about it is when Saul went to a psychic to call Samuel back from the dead. Apparently he had run all of the psychics out of town, on penalty of death, so he had to leave his territory to find one.

If the Bible specifically prohibits it, I wouldn't know where it was.

Yes but Mary spoke/saw Jesus after he died and before he ascended to the father?

1. profile image0

He wasn't a ghost. He was alive. Flesh and bone.

That was never established because she was not allowed to touch him.

1. profile image0

Actually, he established that fact with Thomas when he made him feel the wounds so he would believe.

Thomas? Lost my remember. Ok

2. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deuteronomy 18: 11.

And yes you're right that Jesus was alive.
            And Jesus is exceptional in any case.

Yes in spirit he was alive. That he was flesh in bone is not known.

James talks about those not walking in the lord on one hand then on the other hand about prophets specifically walking in the name of the lord.

What does that mean? Only those who walk in the lord or no one full stop?

2. profile image0

You're exactly right about that. I see it now.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

No problem, god condemns lots of things people do every day without even flinching. Just look at the appalling divorce rate amongst Christians. God couldn't possibly condemn so many of them, could he? smile

1. profile image0

Still, with the sour face and comments. Lighten up.

Just to be sure; Are you referring to almighty "God", the creator? or "god" as in idol?

1. Pcunix profile image91
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"god" as an imaginary being in your mind.

Got it!

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God also condemns the practice of tattooing, eating shrimp, getting divorced (except for adultery), adultery, wearing blended fabrics, cross-dressing, and eating owl.

4. pylos26 profile image70
        pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhhh...the Matriarch has spoken,... next question please.

6. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that gift would be a formidable chance.
      But though I desire it most, I fear it.

7. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is just superstition; of no use at all.

I don't think it's superstition.  I spoke to a couple of people who did not want to comment on my blog after I posted this discussion and I was surprised as to what they had to say.  Most people want to keep it secret because people will not believe them if they say it out.  I really think sometimes the dead wants to communicate with us.  Thanks for your contribution.

1. profile image0
          bolt1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say we talk and listen to the dead all the time and most are quite famous, I'll name a few, Bush, 1 and 2 Osama Bin Laden, ghadafhi, Chavez, Castro,  Hitler, I guess I can go on and take up the whole forum with the living dead that have been amongst us. The List Goes on til eternity.

8. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that would be great.
      I have tried some times, but after a while I get scared.
      I start to scream and then, my woman awakes me up.After that I can't sleep any longer because I wonder why it scares me so much to be among my loved ones in a... dream (?)

Thanks for your contribution.

9. deblipp profile image59
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you survey a large number of people and ask if they've ever had a psychic experience, many will say their one and only such experience was a communication from the dead. Usually, this takes the form of knowing that Mom or Dad or Aunt Edna or whoever is about to pass or has just passed, or having that loved one come and say goodbye one last time. Although it's not much talked about, it's astonishingly common.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is also one of the most conned tricks in the book which reached its peak in Victorian times.

10. aware profile image68
      awareposted 12 years agoin reply to this

if one could  communicate . why would they  say goodbye.  id say hello

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Harry Houdini spend a good number of years exposing those who claim such abilities  as fakes.

Dead people are dead. They don't exist any more. Not as ghosts, not as spirits, not at all.

I don't know about that the dead staying dead.  I have met with people who actually saw their loved one come back, and they had proof.

2. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree.Anyone who doubts it should dig up a dead guy and have a conversation with him[while holding your nose of course]to see what he has to say.The ego[which is what we are aware of consciously]ends upon death.That's what we call"Us".If anything else goes on"us" will not be aware of it because"us"will be D-E-A-D!If a person doubts it look up the word"Unconscious"and that will explain it.

Nice hair...does your wife do it for you?smile

Sorry I did not respond quickly.  I was out for a while.  Thanks to your contribution.  I think I see it from your own perspective, although it's hard to understand why people would make things up, about the dead but, all the same, I am very happy you see it from a different angle.  If I can, I'll wake my grandma up to say the final goodbye to her.  I was out of the country when she passed, so it would have been awesome if everybody can communicate with their dead.

And about my hair; I got it done at  HeadMasters in New York.

3. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beliefs about the afterlife are personal to the individual, and we have all had different experiences. So while I respect the fact that you believe that dead is dead, you cannot really expect to impose your beliefs on others and for everyone to suddenly agree with you.

Thanks.  It's a free country and I believe anybody can very well go into trance and conjure with the celestial beings.  Thanks for your contribution.

3. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Brenda.
    Who told you God condemns that practice ?
    It's mostly his way of communication

4. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

when Saul went to a psychic to call Samuel back from the dead. Apparently he had run all of the psychics out of town, on penalty of death, so he had to leave his territory to find one.

If the Bible specifically prohibits it, I wouldn't know where it was.

= - = - = - = -

And if Ya remembr ?   Saul said; "why did you wake me UP ?"

This was 1050ish , before the crusifixion, before the first resurection!

It is written that when King David died that he slept with his fathers. 
       I'm kinda thinking that when a medium "Wakes" Ya up, you might be awake for the dutation?; until the resurection ????

That just might be why it was wrong for the mediums to perfort that practice ???

BUT ,  as most people on these forums know,   I think that this has already happened.

And those that were awakened are already where they are supposed to be.

And ,   If talking to me/you  is where they are suposed to be ??    That is a good/God thing.

By the way,   I wasn't ignoring anyone,  I put in a 12 hour day today.   Painting.
         I do that a lot.

Marvelous explanation, I really admire your biblical support, it helped me to solidify my basis.  Thanks for the contribution.

5. pennyofheaven profile image78
    pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

and...

Every gambler knows
    That the secret to survivin'
    Is knowin' what to throw away
    And knowin' what to keep
    'Cause every hand's a winner
    And every hand's a loser
    And the best that you can hope for
    Is to die in your sleep"

That makes sense too.  I think I'm goina write a poem. 

Thanks for all the help.

6. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

I was very close to my grandmother.  She was someone who had had what might be termed psychic experiences in her life.  She saw spirits, and could make preditions, which came true.  She had had a near-death experience when she was young, and I believe this was connected to the other experiences she had had.

When she was dying from cancer, so sure that there was an afterlife was she, that she promised that she would visit me after her death and make some sort of contact with me.  She died in 1984, and I am still waiting for that contact.  I have stood by her grave over the years and asked her to pay a visit to me.  She never does.  Personally, I believe that death is the end, but I am always willing to be proven wrong.

And if some dark night you imagine that she has contacted you, are you ready to instantly shred all common sense and believe in that nonsense?

1. profile image0
        Neville Walkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, not at night.  I did once have a ghostly encounter in the early hours of the morning, which seemed so real.  However, I have not taken this to mean that it really happened, as I know that such experiences are a product of the mind.

If however, my nan walked into my room in daylight, with several people there to witness it, then of course I would be more than ready to shred all common sense in favour of the evidence of my own eyes.  However, I realise that such experiences only happen in the films, not in reality.

Mass hallucinations are not unknown. It requires susceptible people and external suggestion, though.

7. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I had a hard enough time communicating with my deceased relatives before they died. I'm not going to try to talk to them now that I can finish a sentence without being interrupted. smile

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Absolutely brilliant! lol

2. pennyofheaven profile image78

Haha makes sense.

3. onaolapo1 profile image81

Tushe! smile  You make me pee in my pant laughing my head off!

8. profile image52
    Daewalkerposted 13 years ago

Basically there is barrier between the physical world and the
    spiritual world and most cannot bridge that gap but a very few
    are able too do this!

Yes. Largely constructed by the mind.

The barrier is as big as you imagine it and as small or non-existing as you see it.  From my own perspective, I think we are closer to the dead more than we think.  Basically ... their is no gap smile

9. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 13 years ago

communicating with the dead is a violation of Energy use. God is Energy; Everything is Energy. we need to choose wisely how we use our God given gift of Energy.

Instead of communicating with the dead, they need to be prayed for. The important thing to do is ask the Archangels to go to that soul that died and guide them to where they belong. The soul is the important aspect of someone, guiding that soul is the job of the Archangels.

What if the dead have some unfinished business?

10. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

The dead are dead.
    Who you communicating with is the Satan or his angels masquerading  as the one you think you are talking to.

11. superwags profile image67
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

Hello, this is the ghost of Karl Marx. I'd just like to say that me and Freddie Engels were hammered in a pub in Manchester when we wrote that stuff about communism. It was just a joke to wind up a friend. I hope nobody's taken it seriously? Out.

12. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Communicating with the dead?

What benefit has accrued from communicating with the dead? It is just superstition.

13. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

onaolapo1, I can't speak for anyone else's experiences, but my mother talked to spirits her whole life.  It started when she was just a child.  She was raised by her grandmother who was very religious and thought she was possessed.  There were others who thought she might be mentally ill.  I have no idea which she was as she passed away before I was old enough to figure any of it out.  But, I can remember several times when she told me someone had passed on before anybody had told her about it, and she seemed to have a sense about certain things and would often tell me about them before they happened.  My youngest daughter now seems to have very similar abilities.

1. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What benefit accrue from this superstition, if any, please?

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't imagine any benefit.  Why would anyone want to talk to the dead? I should think it would be a horrible burden.

1. jponiato profile image88
          jponiatoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How about, "Hey great, great grandpa - where did you bury those gold doubloons?"  That might be beneficial.

onaolapo1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tushe!  I love that reason.  Grandad should whisper where the goodies are buried ...lol!  Nice one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)