Misbah's How to Overcome Shyness when speaking other language.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Gianella Labrador profile image83
    Gianella Labradorposted 2 years ago

Here is the Link of Her Article : https://discover.hubpages.com/education … r-language

Hi Misbah!
    I couldn't find a way to comment or contact you through email so I decided to use the forum to share my thoughts.

Shyness and Awkwardness is normal when trying to converse with Foreign Language that is very unusual for  us. Even if it's merely English, some of us here aren't native english speakers but we try to be conversant to communicate well our thoughts with our readers.

I agree that sometimes shyness just overpowers our mind control. We'd often think so low of ourselves that we won't be able to converse well with that language. We'd often think we'll get ourselves embarassed to the native speakers. But really that's just in the mind. We all started struggling to learn words and letters since birth. Moreso our mother tongue language. There's no harm in trying and learning new languages as it will provide you more opportunities worldwide. If you are struggling to express the tought show it in gestures, show some pictures, describe it through actions just like how a toddler would if he needs something from his parents.

I've been learning other Asian languages through movies and tv dramas like Korean, Mandarin, Thai, and Japanese.
    But I have been more interested and fluent learning Japanese Language it has become handy when I went to Japan three years ago.

It will really be awkward the first time as almost every first are like that, you'll really get anxious. But with practice and frequent use of the language you are trying to learn, it will come naturally just like how locals sound.

It was great read Misbah! I just got so interested with the topic. Apologies for saying so much.

Sending love and hugs.

1. Misbah786 profile image85
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Gianella, you are so sweet and kind. I appreciate you taking the time to create this forum. No need to apologize I really enjoyed reading your beautiful comments. I'm overjoyed to know that the subject has piqued your interest. Yes, for some reason, I detached the contact button from my profile. Some members of the community have my email address, and I enjoy interacting with everyone in the community. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences on this topic with me. Your comment was a joy to read. Much Gratitude!!

I hope you are feeling better now. I am keeping you in my prayers, dear friend. I wish you peace, happiness, success, and healthy life.

Take care and stay safe!!

Much Love and Many Blessings. smile

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing the link Gianella. I have read the hub after seeing this forum. A very informative and interesting topic about learning a new language. Great advice to any who wants to learn a new language.

As of now, I am learning the Korean language, as my 5th language. I am fond of watching K dramas and don't like to read subtitles anymore in the future.

Gianella Labradorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Thelma! We are about the same on the reason of learning a foreign language so cool! I was more fond of Japanese dramas which is why I studied nihongo first that started as a hobby. Now I really wanna learn Japanese as an alternative language as my third language. Japanese and Filipino have some similarities when it comes to syllabication and pronounciation which makes it a little easier for me to comprehend but of course it varies amongst learners.

One of these days, I'll try learning Mandarin and Thai, it may come in handy when I travel next time abroad. I love travelling from one country to another while exploring their way of life and culture. That way I use it as an inspiration to write articles based on my encounters. It's just sad I still can't travel due to the surge of cases but sometime soon.

Blessings to you Thelma! Stay safe.

2. Misbah786 profile image85

Thank you so much for your kind words, Thelma. I am glad the article piqued your interest. smile
        Blessings to you!

2. Gianella Labrador profile image83
    Gianella Labradorposted 2 years ago

I really love exploring new languages and I can relate so much to these. There is one instance I greeted someone at the hotel in Japanese thinking they were locals, but turns out they were sort of vietnamese people LOL. Sometimes its really hard to tell, and english is just your safe bet to use. In taiwan, where I got no background of the language, locals couldnt comprehend much of english language, it was so much of a struggle talking to the taxi to take me to the airport back to my home country. He was speaking to me in mandarin and I tried answering him in English. Miraculously we were able to understand one another as his questions were just a matter of choosing among two options regarding to where I was headed. Until  he started asking serious questions I could no longer understand. We both scratch off our heads thinking how will we be able to understand one another. It was such an experience abroad. Hilarious and memorable. Hope you learn from me and the other readers as well.

Thankyou for your prayers Misbah, I'm close to being discharged this coming week.

Blessings to you too. Love lots.

Gianella, I'm glad to hear you're getting better smile

I live in Spain, and when we first moved here, I didn't even know the ABC of the Spanish language. As Spanish is one of the most widely spoken and accepted languages in the world, Spanish people rarely speak English.

It took me three long years to master the Spanish language, and it was extremely difficult for me when I first began speaking it in public. But it is through trials and errors that we learn and grow. I excelled by making mistakes and watching Spanish TV shows along with the Spanish classes. Interacting with locals helped me a lot.

I've been in similar situations many times when people in Spain spoke to me in Spanish and I responded in English. Those memories are both hilarious and delightful.

In my first six to eight months in Spain, the only three phrases I used the most were :

No lo se --- that means do not know
      No hablo espaƱol. ---- that means I don't speak Spanish
      Perdona yo no entiendo --- Sorry I don't understand

Thank you for sharing your memories as well. It's always interesting to learn about friends and fellow authors. smile

Stay well and blessed!

1. Stephen Tomkinson profile image92
        Stephen Tomkinsonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Misbah786.
        I too live in Spain and spoke no Spanish when I got here. It took me a lot longer than three years to learn it, but I kept plugging on.
        It helps when you have to speak and I've found that Spanish people are wonderfully patient.
        Steve

Thank you so much for sharing your kind thoughts and experience with me, Steve. Yes, without a shadow of a doubt Spanish people are very patient. I think the reason behind it is that there are so many Immigrants and Tourists in Spain. I hope this covid thing ends soon so that Spain can come back to life again. smile
          Sending Blessings

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing this interesting article, Gianella.
    Misbah, I enjoyed reading this and your interaction with Gianella. I admire anyone who can fluently speak more than one language. I have no hope. I know a few words in French, Japanese etc but will never speak anything fluently other than English. Blessings.

Thank you so much for your very kind and sweet feedback, John. A few years ago, I signed up on a website called Duolingo.

https://www.duolingo.com/

If you are interested in learning a new language, this website and app can be very helpful. I am confident that you can learn and speak any language. I trust your abilities, dear friend smile

Happy Sunday!!
      Blessings always smile

Duolingo is a fun app to use but I also recommend Alison Courses if you really want a more specific and concise run through of learning a new language. Modules and exercises are provided with a licensed teacher explaining all the lessons in a pre recorded video lecture. It helps when there is a teacher guiding us, self study can be intimidating, you barely can't keep track of your progress or if you even learn anything. That's my advice if you want a more serious study on a certain language. It's free.

Gianella,thank you so much for sharing this. smile
          Blessings and Love to you!

Sending Love and Virtual Hugs to you too Misbah!

1. Eurofile profile image98
              Eurofileposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing this, Gianella. Misbah gives great tips about how to overcome shyness when speaking a foreign language. I get put off when I rehearse and speak in a foreign language, while travelling, only for the other person to answer in my native tongue.

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback, Liz. It's fun to learn and speak different languages, isn't it? smile

Much appreciated, dear friend!
                Blessings and Love to you!! smile

4. Moondot1822 profile image95
    Moondot1822posted 2 years ago

Salam Misbah,
    I am really impressed by your writing. I admire you because of the languages that you can speak. I really want to be fluent in Pushto but can't speak it.

Wasalam, Moon.

Thank you so much for your very kind and sweet comment, dear sister. Your kindness is very much appreciated. smile

Pushto is a very sweet language. As your family members speak Pashto, I believe you have a great opportunity to learn it. I hope and wish that you will learn to speak it soon. I understand Pashto, but I'm not very good at speaking it.

Take care and stay blessed.
      Fi Aman Allah!!

5. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

I took a few courses in Spanish at a local community center many years ago.  I know a few words, but are very far from being fluent.  It came in handy one time when my husband and I were walking in Barcelona, Spain and needed to get back to our hotel at a set time in order to then catch our plane to the Island of Mallorca.  I asked a lady who was walking her dog how to find the hotel.  Between the words exchanged plus her gestures, it worked!  I also tried talking to the wait staff in restaurants in Spanish.  Although I probably murdered the pronunciation, they seemed appreciative of my efforts. 

Misbah's tips are good ones, and thanks to Gianella for sharing her article.

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your experience with me, Peggy. I'm so glad to hear you can speak a little Spanish as well. I believe we learn by making mistakes, and even if we mess up the pronunciation, the locals enjoy our accents. LOL!

So don't worry, as long as we communicate effectively with expressions and a smile, everything's fine. smile

I am glad you enjoyed reading it. Much appreciated, dear friend.
      Blessings and lots of Love!

6. Brenda Arledge profile image78
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Misbah
    This one is another great article.

It amazes me how people are fluent in many languages.

So there you go...amazing me again.

I used to know Spanish, but that was years ago in high school.

But let me tell you, high school really doesn't prepare you.

I went on a trip to Spain for 17 days & realized that one.
    Although I did mange to communicate...I learned more by speaking to others, but they speak so quickly.

Your idea to practice with another person who is fluent in the language is a great one.
    Hopefully someone who speaks both languages so you can receive guidance.

Great job.  This one should get moved to niche site.

Bredz

Hi Bredz,

Thank you so much for reading my article and sharing your thoughts and experiences. I'm really enjoying the comments on this article. As someone who enjoys speaking and learning different languages, it's exciting to see that there are more people like me who enjoy learning and speaking other languages.

I'm glad you practiced speaking Spanish in high school and when you visited Spain.

It's always interesting to learn about each other. Thank you so much!!

Blessings and Love as always!! smile

1. Brenda Arledge profile image78
        Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Misbah
        The plan was to be an interpreter & travel the world.

Needless to say that dream fell through the cracks, but I'll always remember my time in Spain.

For a few years, I exchanged correspondence with someone I met in Spain.
        He would write letters to me in English & I wrote letters to him in Spanish.

Not sure whatever happened to him.
        Our last letters were lost for quite sometime because I mailed them to Spain in a yellow colored envelope.

I had no idea that color made a difference.

But when I was in Spain...I had to ask others to slow down when they spoke so I could understand them or have them write it out on paper.

It was an experience.

I'm glad this article is getting some reads.

Take care.
        Bredz

Bredz, I'm glad you had a good time in Spain. I am sad to learn of the mail exchange's discontinuation. I'm wondering how it would be if you were sending those mails to him via the internet, which was most likely not available at the time. smile
          Just see what a difference technology has made in our lives smile

Some Spanish people speak very fast, but not all of them. I, too, speak very fast when I'm talking at home and with friends and family, many times people ask me to slow down my speech because they don't understand half of what I'm saying. Lol! You addressed your complaint to the incorrect person. Lol!!! big_smile

Smile!

Blessings and Love!!

Misbah
            I think the language itself is spoken alot more quickly than English.

I doubt that I remember much of my Spanish theee days...
            But the internet would have been great.

We didn't have it at the time.  No cell phones back then.  Technology has come along way to help that...Look, I can talk to you.

It's quite amazing! Lol!
            Bredz

Hi Brenda.
              It's funny but the Spanish say that the English speak too quickly. I read somewhere that all languages are spoken at roughly the same speed in normal conversations. The reason that Spanish sounds quicker to us is that the timing is different.
              It seems that Spanish is a syllable-timed language - each syllable takes the same time. English is a stress-timed language - we gallop from emphasis to emphasis. This is the reason why we have so many contractions and things like "gotta go",
              This is why my Spanish sounds like English - it's difficult to change your timing.

Stephen
                Thank you.
                I've never thought about English being spoken too fast.
                I guess when we don't know the language, everything seems different & hard to understand.

I know English is a bit harder as we don't just gave words that are female & male.

Very true

Agreed!

I agree, Steve. For English speakers It's very difficult to excel the proper Spanish accent smile

Yes, Bredz. We can talk to each other. It's truly amazing! Lol! big_smile

Yeppie!

7. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing Misbah's article, Gianella. It shares some useful tips. I'm trying to increase my knowledge of Welsh. I lived in Wales for some time and feel attached to the country. I did learn some of the language when I attended school there, but I would probably feel embarrassed if I tried to talk to someone in Welsh today. I will consider what Misbah has said carefully.

Linda, thank you so much for your kind comments and sharing your experience. I always appreciate your insightful feedbacks. It's fascinating to see how many of us enjoy speaking and learning different languages. Maybe you can try speaking Welsh with someone who can speak English too. I think it would be beneficial to you, and you would not feel embarrassed as well. I hope you will soon learn to speak it fluently. You are a wonderful soul. I trust your abilities. I've learned a lot from you. smile

Much Gratitude, dear friend!!

Blessings and Lots of Love!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)