The Writer's Mailbag: Installment #399 by Mr. Bill Holland

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Misbah786 profile image84
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

This time, HP made mailbag fans wait, and no doubt it ruined our Mondays, but it is still Monday in some parts of the world, so here's the link to mailbag dear friends.
    https://hubpages.com/literature/The-Wri … llment-399

Thank you so much!!!

1. snakeslane profile image82
      snakeslaneposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Misbah.
      Thank you Bill for all you’ve contributed to this writing community over the years.
      I wish you well. Happy Trails to you!

1. billybuc profile image84
        billybucposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Happy Trails indeed, my friend. It was good to hear from you and it has been a pleasure to know you over the years.  Peace and love to you always.

2. billybuc profile image84

You are a good friend, Misbah! Thank you for waiting and posting this when it was finally approved.

2. Misbah786 profile image84
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Sir, your story in response to Ann's challenge is beautiful and interesting; in your story you stated that you know you'll never be famous. But I assure you, you already are. There are writers who feed their souls, and then there are writers like you who help others spread their wings. Nobody will ever be able to say anything bad about you, whether you are here or not. You are the best! You have given yourself to your friends, and the smile on your face is because you are happy and at peace on the inside. May God continue to shower you with countless and everlasting blessings. I wish you the best of luck in all that you do in the future.

By the way, it's still Monday at your side. So a very Happy Monday and a wonderful week ahead smile

Blessings always!!!

1. surovi99 profile image84
      surovi99posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I loved to read about your writing career in fictional form. Although there is only one question in the mailbag, it is still very interesting. I wish you every success in upcoming new adventures. It is true you will be missed- believe it or not. Happy Monday and a great start to the week, Bill.

And Happy Late Monday to you, my friend. Thank you for the well-wishes. If my new adventures are even close to as satisfying as the last ten years have been, it will be very enjoyable.

That is very kind of you to say, Misbah. Thank you my friend. I have tried to freely give that which was given to me, and I hope that's how I'll be remembered on HP.  It has been a very satisfying experience these past ten years, and I am a rich man for all of the friendships I have gained in that time.

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

I am a bit late reading and replying this week. There may have only been one question, but what a fitting one to end on. Great job on that challenge and your final piece of writing for the mailbag, Bill. It is great that you are finishing it on your terms. This series has helped so many writers and will long be remembered, besides it will still be here on HubPages for others to read and enjoy if they so desire.
    I have enjoyed our friendship here on HP, but I know it will continue elsewhere so it isn’t so bad.
    Thank you Misbah for sharing.

John, thank you! Perhaps it is fitting that the Mailbag go out with a whisper. That's the way it started so long ago.

No, no end to friendships, and I hope people understand that. I will still pop up every now and then on HP, and I will be as active as always on Facebook and our new website.  So I will catch you down the road.

4. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 2 years ago

Thank you for answering so many questions over the years, Bill. You've created a very useful series of articles for writers.

I am happy to hear that, Alicia, and I greatly appreciate you being so loyal in following and commenting weekly.  I'll see you in BC one day.

5. MsDora profile image93
    MsDoraposted 2 years ago

It was worth waiting for. Short and significant. Thanks Bill, for answering the challenge of what your readers want from you. Appreciated.

And thank you, Dora, for always being here and supporting me.  Talk about appreciated. I am a big fan of Ms. Dora!

6. bdegiulio profile image96
    bdegiulioposted 2 years ago

Bill, it’s been a pleasure and an education reading the mailbag these last 10 years.  You have no idea how much it has helped me and countless others I’m sure.

I probably don't, Bill, but if your words are true, it makes me very happy.  Leave the porch light on, buddy. One day our caravan will put up into your driveway.

1. DREAM ON profile image84
        DREAM ONposted 2 years agoin reply to this

There will be only one Bill Holland in my book. You have taken your time and your past ten years sharing and giving. What we all try to do. Help each other each chance we get. I knew Mondays would come and go and Bill was here to stay. You have helped me personally so many times. A little wisdom goes along way. I have read many articles and some with the biggest words I can't even begin to understand. Your mailbags have always been a one to one connection right to the reader. I have never fully accepted change and life is full of it. So once again you show to all of us how to embrace it. Wishing not only you but your lovely wife Bev that brought out the best in you. I hope your family stays well and I have enjoyed so many of your mailbags that I lost count. To make a friend and have a friendship is something so beautiful that I am truly amazed every time it happens. It is something new, exciting and always different. I am blessed to have known you for your whole time at Hubpages. I have never been one for the right words or perfect timing. Wishing you the sweetest joys in the future that I am sure will come out in book form one way or another. Thank you for being you. I have to go against the tide here. Here is one thing in life I hope never changes. Here is to a great and wonderful future. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I am once again impatient. I can't wait. I can't wait. Where is Spring ?

7. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

Bill, so I begin the morning with a cup of coffee and tears in my eyes. What a touching response to Ann's challenge. I have one question for you. If it is worthy of the Mailbag, it will be in #400. If you would prefer to answer here or in a personal message, that's OK too. You've written (almost) 400 of these, in the span of about 7 years. Looking back, especially at those early postings, is there anything you would have done differently?

My love to you today and always and ever.

No tears, Linda. We will stay in touch. I promise.  It's too hard for me to make friends. I'm not about to ignore the ones I have.

Love heading your way, always, and now I might have a tear in my eye.  smile

8. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

I agree with Linda that this is a very touching response to Ann's challenge. I tried to find the mailbag yesterday but couldn't, so I appreciate Misbah posting it. This is not one I would want to miss. I really enjoyed reading this response to Ann's challenge.

1. vidsagster profile image88
      vidsagsterposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I was waiting for Monday to read the mailbag and was sad when the link did not work yesterday. Today I could access the article and am so happy to read it. A fascinating story of your writing journey and great response to Ann's challenge, Bill. Your contribution as a writer and helping other writers in their writing journey here will always be cherished. We will miss you here though. Wishing you all sucess in your new endeavours, stay blessed dear friend. Have a great week ahead.

There is a good reason for not finding it, Pamela. HP took it down and said I basically plagiarized myself. LOL  It is fitting that it is coming to an end. I'm about done with HP's silliness.

Best wishes to you, my friend. You are one of the leaders now on HP, and I'm sure you will lead with distinction and love.

9. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

Thanks Misbah for highlighting #399 of Bill's mailbag posts.  It is hard to believe that this series is close to ending.  Bill has helped so many people through the years and gives from his heart.  He has definitely left his imprint on this site, and will be missed for his regular posts.  Best wishes to him on his journey to new beginnings.

You are so very kind, Peggy! I never really felt like I was doing enough on HP; that might be my only regret on this site. smile Blessings to you always!  Come on up to Washington some day for a visit.

10. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

Thanks for the invitation, Bill.  It is open-ended for you to come this way also!  smile

11. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 23 months ago

Bill...
    Leave it to HP to stop you from publishing that excerpt...just another notch to keep you headed in a different direction.

I've enjoyed reading your work & I am trying to get caught up with articles I missed.

In reality...I know it's impossible to get caught up, but I'm glad I read this one.

Truly enjoyed the story of this young lad...who grows into an incredible storyteller...and still has more to come.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)