Recipe Article Gone Viral

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (46 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 23 months ago

I was really in need of a good distraction when I stopped by HP this afternoon to check-in. I checked my stats and saw an unbelievable number under "1 DAY." It is in the thousands. My recipe article on shrimp has gone viral and I have no idea why. Apparently, it's coming from msn dot com. I checked but didn't see that they featured my recipe but somehow, that's where the views are coming from. There is a feature that lists gluten free seafood recipes. Maybe that's the connection. Anyway, I look forward to this bonus in stats and hopefully, earnings for June or July.
    Anyone else hit the jackpot on Delishably under seafood?

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 23 months agoin reply to this

No such luck but am delighted for you Jan, well done:)

jansharesposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, Sally.

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations Jan! I hope the traffic keepscoming.

Thank you, John!

3. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 23 months agoin reply to this

That hasn't happened to my Delishably articles, but I'm so happy for you, Jan! Awesome news!

Thank you, Shauna!

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Nice one Jan. Your recipe must be the tops!! So good to know the news features are really working.

Thanks, Andrew. It's incredible. It's a decent recipe but it never received a lot of views. I'm really happy that I finally hit the lottery with an HP article after 10 years. smile

5. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 23 months agoin reply to this

That's fantastic! What a great distraction from anything else. Wow. Amazing stats. Hope it continues.

6. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations! I hope it stays up.

Thanks Peg and Thelma. It came down, now in the hundreds which for me is still viral. Hopefully, it stays steady there for a while longer.

7. Deborah Osadjere profile image59
      Deborah Osadjereposted 21 months agoin reply to this

That's exciting news. Congratulations, janshares

1. bravewarrior profile image86
        bravewarriorposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I love seafood and am always looking for good recipes. Please post the link!

8. JanisaChatte profile image91
      JanisaChatteposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Wow! Congratulations!
      Something similar happened to an article of mine on garlic bread, but it was much less than a thousand views a day (although more than the usual)

9. Justice Ndlovu profile image83
      Justice Ndlovuposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations Janis, enjoy the fruits of your labour.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 23 months ago

The MSN traffic is coming to us through the news features on some of the niche sites. An editor linked your article to a news story and when readers look at the story some of them click on the link. Sometimes the traffic will be for a day or two, sometimes much longer. Congratulations!

OMG, thanks for explaining, Dr. Mark. I saw the forum about this 3 weeks ago and posted how I didn't understand it! LOL! Now I'm reaping the benefits. lol Thank you!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Good news!

3. Misbah786 profile image86
    Misbah786posted 23 months ago

Congratulations, Janis. smile

Thanks, Misbah!

4. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 23 months ago

Congratulations, Jan!

Thank you, Alicia. It's crazy. I just checked and the numbers are increasing.

5. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 23 months ago

Great deal!  Congratulations.

Thanks, Brenda!

6. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 23 months ago

Huge congrats!!

Thanks!

7. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 23 months ago

Congratulations! Enjoy your good fortune.

Thank you. I can’t believe the stats today.

8. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 23 months ago

I am enjoying a micro viral - about 2400 pageviews in a short period (less than 24 hours) for an an article that usually get 16 a day.  It is tapering off for me now.  It showed approx. 2100 from PetHelpful and 400 from MSN. com

Thanks Dr. Mark for the explanation.

jansharesposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Good for you, Solaras. I missed this post. I hope you get another one.

9. charity mtisi profile image61
    charity mtisiposted 21 months ago

Congratulations!!

10. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 21 months ago

I have a similar traffic pattern over the last 48 hours. Don't know why, but hey it's good!

Congrats to you!

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I read your 50 States of Breakfast, Linda, and loved it! I'm a huge breakfast fan.

I miss the communication we used to enjoy with our articles. That's why I'm no longer inspired to post here. But, please know, that I visit your posts, Sis!

11. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 21 months ago

Congrats Jan!

I've had some luck too, I don't normally get excited by surges, but I've had a few big ones in recent times and a couple have been sustained.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 21 months agoin reply to this

I think it is really hard to tell but I think the surge from this source might also help page rank. I have an article on a Japanese dog breed that used to rank on page 2 or 3 but after a surge from MSN it is now at the top of page 1. Unfortunately the others that have had the traffic surges have not seen this effect, but then again it may be too early to tell.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 21 months agoin reply to this

I don't know about MSN and page rank boost, other than the standard thing of a site potentially picking up links and a lot of good stats when it's being viewed by a lot of people.

MSN surges tend to be temporary, as do Android ones, in my experience. I've had a few very big Google ones recently, though, which have been more sustained - not just the testing they do.

2. janshares profile image93

Congrats, Paul. Good to see it's still happening. Mine lasted under a week but the extra money paid for gas and groceries. I hope I get another one. smile

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 21 months agoin reply to this

Delishably seems to have been doing better for me, too, recently, not sure if it's the new work I've published and all the editing I've been doing, or a change at the HP/Google end... maybe a combination of both.

12. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 21 months ago

That's great news! Congratulations

13. MariaMontgomery profile image91
    MariaMontgomeryposted 21 months ago

Wonderful news! Congrats.

14. PurvisBobbi44 profile image91
    PurvisBobbi44posted 21 months ago

Hi,

I love recipes and making them. Great news for you--please post the link to your recipe. I am a seafood and fish lover. Post recipes on HubPages, we love them here.

Until Later,
    Bobbi Purvis

Hi Bobbi,
      I don't remember the rules about posting links. So, I'll just direct you to my profile page. My 4 seafood articles are easy to find with the pictures: Grilled Shrimp (the one that went viral), Baked Catfish, Baked Salmon, and Fried Salmon Cakes.
      Thanks for asking!

15. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 21 months ago

Congratulations and keep writing.

Thanks, bhattuc. I need to write more, make the time but so busy. I will.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)