Breaking 90. How hard is it?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (86 posts)
  1. Jackson Riddle profile image49
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Currently sitting on a Hubscore of 88 with 19 fans and 1 hub published (hubs score is 77). Does it exponentially get harder to increase Hubscore i.e is getting from 88 to 89 easier than getting from 89 to 90?

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not really qualified to answer since I have yet to reach 90, but I have a question.  Why do you only have 1 hub after three weeks?  You might publish a couple more and see what it does for your score.

Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really its only two weeks because I signed up on the day I left for a holiday for a week. Ive been intentionally keeping my hub count at 1 because I want to try and achieve a high hubscore with this single hub just for the hell of it really. Also I wan to see how many fans/traffic/hubscore I can get from this single hub.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well when I joined, a hubber told me that breaking 90 was like breaking wind! The more beans you got the easier it is! lol

It seems like you're a bit short in the beans department; as you're score has now gone down to 87. sad

Did no one tell you that you loose a point for asking? hmm

Damm, looks like i'll have to get some more beans then.

<snipped - no self-promotion in the Forums>

I had to do it. I was getting to jealous of all the hubbers I kept on seeing with a score of 88, 87's getting on my nerves. Hopefully this hub is enjoyed smile and hopefully it gets me over 90.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i found that the more hubs i wrote the higher it went. it's kind of maddening though, heh...because you start watching your score...yesterday i came in and it was 99....every time i see that i go "come ON 100! - come onnnnn...", but it never gets there, err..! and then haha in the afternoon it was down to 95.

ouch!

my suggestion is to write more hubs. good luck!

4. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"How is HubScore computed?

HubScore takes into account many factors and will change over time as data about its performance continues to stream in. It will also fluctuate quite a bit, seemingly at random, and that is nothing to worry about. The most important HubScore components that you should be concerned with include:

Amount of traffic - including percentage from reputable sources other than HubPages

The reputation of the Hubber - your Hubber Score and contribution to the community

The response of readers to your hub - including comments, thumbs up, etc.

The uniqueness of content - copying content already available on the web will be penalized

We reserve the right to change the factors used to assess a Hub’s HubScore as we continue to determine those that measure a great Hub. The bottom line is if you write original, useful content, your HubScores will reflect the quality and work you've put into them."

according to the hubpage help section

5. jacobkuttyta profile image45
      jacobkuttytaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is better keep posting new hubs.  How much traffic your hubs generate, that is what makes your hubscore up

Cheers, thanks for that, yeah my traffic has dropped off a tad so that does explain it.

Thanks

6. profile image0
      sord87posted 14 years agoin reply to this

easy to increase your weight rather than increasing hubscore,LOL

Increasing weight costs me money, i prefer earning it.

7. anime_nanet profile image60
      anime_nanetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just create quality content and write post with more than 400 words and you should get there without a problem

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't really think it's difficult to get 90 or over.  I'd suspect if you added another Hub or two you may reach 90.  There's not much for the "measuring system" to go on if you don't add anything else.  Besides, one thing that contributes to the overall score is activity; and no writing means not much of the "right" kind of activity (even if you do read, vote, and participate in the forums). 

HubScores go up and down, though, so you can't really pay a lot of attention to them if they're in some decent range.  Mine has gone as high as a 100 and as low as low 90's, so that's how much they can fluctuate.

KK thanks for that, I'll be sure to post another hub sooner rather than later.

3. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Write more Hubs, Jackson.  No pain, no gain as they say!

4. Lisa HW profile image61

Jackson, I'm not sure what "KK" means - but I guess it's ok.   lol

Yep, spot on. Old habits die hard.

5. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I think it does matter how many hubs you posts. My highest score has been 94 and it does go up and down.

6. Ambition profile image60
    Ambitionposted 14 years ago

hi folks, yeah breaking 90 is hard job

7. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Original content, a steady flow of traffic, and maybe more than one hub, and you'll claw your way into the 90s.

Anything 80+ is good though. And as long as you're over 75 it means you're doing something right.

8. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Just write.

forget about the smeggin' scores.

9. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I agree with Eric, I used to obsess about my score and whaen I stopped thinking about it it went up?! smile The bean thing makes sence also. smile

Yeah, I am starting to come over to not caring about score. However, not caring about scores will mean I'll have to care about something else.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well get a dog. Or a fish. Or a tomato plant. Or a lemon tree.

I like the lemon tree idea. Could be a potential entertainer or place where I can ponder. I might add that to my hub. Although tomato plant is very unique idea.

2. profile image0
          poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how is your garden full of tomatoes coming along

10. Lisa HW profile image61

My "nugget of ancient wisdom" would be:  If you care about your writing the score you want will follow.

11. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Perhaps a Nanny or Cuddly Blanky lol (& some beans!)

12. Laura du Toit profile image75
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

And when you do reach 90 don't rest on your laurels. I was 90 - don't know what I did to lose points but sure as hell am going to try to get back there.

Just remember that it seems for a day or two after you publish a new hub your hubber score seems to dip. Probably to do with your average hub score that comes down until your new hub has picked up to a decent score.

I think the key is to write hubs that are going to attract traffic after the initial hub visitors that read the latest hubs.

I'll be asking how to get to 100 then.

Do "unpublished" hubs affect your score? I have two sitting around with next to no content.

1. Laura du Toit profile image75
        Laura du Toitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure on that one I usually don't start a hub if I can't finish it.

2. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No they don't.

2. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure many veteran hubbers will tell you to not worry about scores, but being a Newbie myself, I understand.

My score hit 48-50 before I published any hubs.  I hit a hubber score of 89 8 days after I joined, which was 4 days after I published my first hub.  At that point I had 5 hubs.  It took 3 weeks to hit 90 and I've been ~87-92 since. 

I agree with Laura about the drop after publishing.  However...

one week I went from 88 to 92 in 14 hours.  I have also gone from 90-92 down to 87-88 abruptly, stayed down for 3-5 days then gone back up.  Often seems to have no logic in terms of publishing hubs or other hubtivity.

13. Gemsong profile image63
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I finally stopped obsessing over my score and I hit 92. I'm thrilled. Time for some more beans. My traffic sucks but it always has as I haven't quite found the right niche for myself. I just need to keep writing and hopefully find the right combination.

14. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Had you asked this Q four months ago, I would have said, to quote PearlDiver "Breaking ninety is like breaking wind" lol
    Then again, four months ago you probably would have seen ninty and then some already. my theory, which you can take with a grain of salt because it is just a theory, is that something changed in the last several weeks that has made hubscores harder to raise. Call me crazy, but seems like newbies are hanging out in the 70's /80's way longer

Seemed like ppl used to hit 100 or at least 99 a lot more often too. Oh well...like others have said, try not to let it bug you. though I klnow that's easier said than done wink

15. sandwichmom profile image59
    sandwichmomposted 14 years ago

I seem unable to get over 90- and I did publish more hubs- I am earning money and viewing others- and talking on the forum- maybe I need more views?  I do not seem to be moving up in google searches- maybe that is it?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are at 90 now

16. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

Who cares?  The issue shouldn't be your score.  A more important issue is WHY do people who do not write as well as you do get higher scores? 
    No, on second thought, someone should tell you that your score is influenced by some things that have nothing to do with the quality of your writing.  My score has yet to go over 88.  I don't care. 
    This place has to do with traffic and advertising and whether or not you are social, etc.  Accept the things you cannot change.  Work on those you can. 
    Man!  Now I sound like one of those losers from AA or something!
    You want a good way to deal with this issue?  Look up the so-called "BEST" hubs here.  Go through the first 25 pages of them.  See how many even catch a second of your attention.  THAT will tell you something. 
    Take no of the hubs that are written on topics that cannot fail to get traffic.  You want a real hub challenge?  Write about what interests YOU first, your fans second and everyone else third.  THEN try to get past 90.  THAT is a challenge!

17. Pr0metheus profile image57
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Just hit 91 for the first time :-D.  It hasn't been too difficult for me.  If you write useful hubs, with information people actually want, your score will go up, your traffic will go up, and your revenue will go up!  I managed to find one topic in particular that had virtually no information out there, but was decently searched.  It's turned out nicely for me in more ways than one :-D.

18. Jackson Riddle profile image49

Wow, currently 82, looks like I will have to pick up my game!

19. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

damn since i had 14 hubs flagged in one day my hub score has been dropping incredibly.  they are all back up but yesterday before the hubs were pulled (temporarily) my score was like 84 and I have been as high as 88.  NOW my score started at 77 the morning after and is now 73. HOW could a hub score drop almost 10 points in a day? has this ever happened before?  I only mention it because I was told if you hit 75 then you are in trouble of some sort.

What were these 14 hubs on? That's alot.

1. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was mostly about pictures but in some cases i was flagged for being overly-promotional on hubs that only had 2 links as per the rules.  Actually it was 13 in one day, one months ago.  Is it true that if you hit 75 you are going to be hassled?

1. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you go under 75 on HubberScore all the outbound links in all your hubs switch over to nofollow.

1. wsp2469 profile image60
            wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's IT?  THAT is what everyone is so afraid of?  Seriously?
            DO the links go back to normal once you go up to 75 again?  I'm just curious.  it would be nice if people could see my PAID work, ya know?

1. darkside profile image63
              darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lower still and things could make it harder to publish hubs.

But provided hubs are over 40 and hubber score is over 75, everything is fine (if you're over 75 and a hub is under 40 only that hub has nofollow applied).

And people can see your work. It doesn't stop people from coming to your page. Or clicking on a link. Nofollow tells search engines (well some of them) to not follow the link or to ignore it in terms of the SEO benefit that the linked site might get from a backlink.

20. Jackson Riddle profile image49

I doubt it, I've seen many of people with a score of less then 75 contribute to this forum in peace. I'm sure that when someone told you that that would happen it was meant as a joke.

21. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image71
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

It's not hard at all. The only time my score has gone below 90 is when I didn't publish any hubs for about three months.

22. Abs Machine profile image61
    Abs Machineposted 14 years ago

why does it make any difference for you if your hubscore is 89 or 90? Do you need a machine / an internet site to tell you that you're awesome and that your hub is cool?

Sorry, this might sound very harsh and negative but it's not meant to. Our egos get hung up on a lot of topics, but we need to notice that we have value no matter what other people think or us or what hub scores we get...

Yeah, I don't really care about it as much as when I posted the topic but it still does fascinate me alot. So how many random posts are you going to keep on making lol? The links on your hub goes to a site that doesn't have any content aswell lol.

Thanks anyway.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um youre right and also wrong , as the gauge of our score helps us earn money , good quality , good traffic , advertisers wont be bothered putting their adverts where no ones gonna see them.

But of course as I sit here in my wrinkled p'j's and bedhair slurping hot coffee I know my awesome is shining through somewhere in Kathmandu lol

3. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Breaking 90 wasn't so touch ... now breaking 100, THAT was a toughie! smile

23. Jackson Riddle profile image49

First hub just hit 80. Pretty happy with this, even though I've stopped fussing over scores.

24. shanekruger profile image60
    shanekrugerposted 14 years ago

I think breaking 85 is very hard job.

25. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Sometimes Author Score if its for ego and self esteem,and can indeed very important but it is with traffic that you'll get some clicks and cash... Dont worry so much hehehe, keep on writing to the best of your capabilities and gradually you'll improve together with your Hub score and author score...

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

don't get hung up on it, concentrate on the hubs you have first, are they quality, are they bringing in traffic? producing many hubs to bring up a score doesn't seem like it should be the motivating force to be here? hmm quality, contributing to the community, subjects that bring in traffic seem to work.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
        GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whatever...

26. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

Based on my own experience... VERY.
    Based on the number of PLUS 90 authors here, it must be possible.

I too would like to know if hub scoring is linear or exponential. (i.e. it gets harder and harder to increase the higher up you get) But I suppose it's a secret. smile

27. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Posting on the forum also helps to keep your hubscore up. I find that once you get over 90, you don't usually go back under unless you leave the site for a while.

1. Philent profile image69
      Philentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes true, I've been here and there...but when I stayed longer just like these fast few days, my author score went up.

28. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

Or to quote the movie Field of Dreams, "if you build it they will come".  Mind you, writing a few good hubs is much easier than building a ball park in the middle of nowhere!

29. Jackson Riddle profile image49

I'm on the way down! - Better start writing some more.

Back from 78 to 85, phew, that was close.

30. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

I  have stayed in the 90s for a couple of days, but usually stay in the upper 80s. When you consider how many hubbers there are (around 100,000), the scores fluctuate like the tides of the sea and don't get too excited about them. Learn all you can from the forums and apply it and we should be able to get our scores up there.

Yeah I am not totally fixed on getting a good score, simply am fascinated at the fluctuation.

As mentioned earlier.

And now I am even more fascinated, with my alter-ego situation.

31. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

hehehe it follows naturally just do your best at all times with your hubs...

32. jdaviswrites profile image72
    jdaviswritesposted 14 years ago

All of my hubs have been bouncing in between 70 and 80 since I joined hubpages. I have yet to get close to 90, but who cares. I'm just trying to write when feeling good about it, hopefully people read them. Worrying about scores is useless.

33. Jackson Riddle profile image49

This is what I don't get. When I first joined Hub Pages I created an Alter Ego, just to test some things out. That alter ego has 4 hubs published with 1/15th of the traffic yet it's hub score or whatever you want to call it is currently sitting on 85, with no forum participation, next to no views or doing anything. It has been idle for 2months yet it is at 85.

What's the deal with that.

I'm back on top! Just.

2. Jackson Riddle profile image49

The B@stards jumped me again! How does he have a hubscore of 84 with 3 hits a day if that and no activity whatsoever?

34. Laura du Toit profile image75
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Very good point. Love to hear some answers from the more experienced hubbers. Why am I breaking my neck to get a decent score if what you say about Alter Ego is true. smile

35. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

It must pretty hard to find out that your alter ego is more popular than the primary ego yikes lol

He is my mentor, so it's cool.

36. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Don't worry about your hubscore. Just have fun and write and if you ignore it it'll surprise you one day and you'll seei t above 90 big_smile

37. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Guess it depends on what '90' your talking about. lol

38. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

lol@ yer sense of humor lol

Maybe thats yer hidden niche ..hehe

My theory is its a bit like love..when ya quit worrying about it , it will happen smile high score that is...

Truly its a combination of quality content ,traffic (biggy) and participation on Hubpages ie reading and making comments on other hubs (hint hint) lol forum participation , backlinks etc etc....

I wish you success and thankyou for the humor big_smile

Alter Ego

Quality content = 10/10 of course
      Participation on forums = started 1 large thread but thats it 1/10
      reading/commenting = 0/10
      backlinks = I'll lol if i find one
      traffic = 1/10

Hubscore = 84

Me

Content = 10/10 , if i do say so myself
      Forums = 10/10 you guys seriously don't know how much i'm on here
      reading/commenting = 4/10 , i'll work on this
      backlinks = 4/10
      traffic = 10/10 (relative to his, 1/10 compared to Mark Knowles)

Hubscore = 82

Verdict: Hub pages staff like screwing with my head!

39. Jackson Riddle profile image49

Seriously, dose anyone have an answer to this? Why does my alter ego have a higher score than I do (the one on the profile pic)?

40. tommen profile image83
    tommenposted 14 years ago

More hubs, higher score.That´s how I think it works.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

dont bother with it, just write and write and join the form too,(as they say) I really dont know what makes the score higher...

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Hi pretty!

I know one thing, you won't get 90 if you have very few hubs.

I'm not so fixated on getting to 90 anymore, what I want to know is

When I do so much more than him i.e traffic, write hubs, participate on forums, get fans and comment on people hubs.

This said I have taken a better turn now sitting on 86 as he is on 80 but you never know how much it can fluctuate.

3. Jackson Riddle profile image49

Lol. I can't believe that I haven't touched hubpages for over 4 months. Then when I come back I hit 90 almost instantly. Just shows how age is part of the Score I guess.

Not that I was intending to do it when I came back. Just interesting.

4. DanPowers profile image47
      DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I've been away for 2 weeks, when I came back my score was 94!

Score doesn't really depend on number of hubs, but I suspect a lot of the score is related to hubber's income.

I suspect getting from 94 to 98 would be a huge undertaking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)