my Hubscore is going down....

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

So my author hubscore has been consistantly going down.  I am at  93 today which is lower than I have been in many months.  Lately I have been addding a lot of hubs, at least one per day over the lat two weeks.  However many of them are hubs that promote the selling of things.  I just wonder if that is causing the author score to go down.  I have been writing my usual  variety of other things too to offset it.  I was just curious whymy score is going down and what I can do about it..

thanks for input..

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i want to know how am i going, my score is 85, i joined ten days ago, have 22 hubs so far

2. rumbling profile image50
    rumblingposted 14 years ago

I guess you don't have to worry about it too much as long as you are above 75

Ms Chievousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't want a score below 90 big_smile

3. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Hubber rank varies. There are many factors that play into effect- hubs, comments on your hubs, traffic, comments you make, questions you post, questions you answer, participation in the forums, etc. There's no one thing that can affect your score. Sometimes it just fluctuates.

1. R.Edwards profile image62
      R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So forum participation affects your score?

1. Whitney05 profile image82
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everything related to HubPages can affect your score. There's no one thing that you should or shouldn't do to increase your score. It's going to vary at least a little from day to day, sometimes morning to afternoon.

I wouldn't worry about your rank too much, as long as it stays above 75 you're good.

2. Ms Chievous profile image65

Geesh I am not a good forum person.  I am like the death of a forum person.  If you see that my name was posted to the last post you can be assured there will be no further comments.  Popularity is not my thing!

I will try to be more social for a bit and see if it helps!.  Thanks Whitney

1. dohn121 profile image80
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You'll be fine, Ms Chievous!  I had the same thoughts as you when my score started to dip...I think that the worst thing we can do is take it personally.  Our HubberScore just fluctuates like the temperature outside (at least where I live).

Turn that frown upside down big_smile 

And no, you're score won't drop below 90 unless you disappear like a rabbit down a hole screaming, "I'm late! I'm late!" lol

Thanks for feedback Dohn  and the Alice in Wonderland Reference!

2. lrohner profile image70
          lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And how much snow did you get yesterday, Dohn? smile

4. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I decided to post here so yours wasn't the last one.smile

5. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

Hmmm... I'd just like to break above 90 for a change. big_smile

Seriously though, I think active participation is a factor in your author score, in addition to writing a lot of hubs and getting traffic to them.
    So do as I say and not as I do, and participate more! big_smile

6. Laura du Toit profile image74
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Hell no! I thought once you were above 92 as long as you do what you have been doing to get there you are safe and stop worrying about your actual score.

Am I always going to be feeling like this? big_smile

7. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

No offense, but personally I think that hubs where you are just trying to sell things SHOULD influence your "writer" score.  They don't (yet) so it's okay.  They probably never will since advertising is so closely linked with the ownership of hub pages.  (There should be a salesperson score,but there isn't.)
    Basically, what everyone is telling you is correct.  A lot of things that do not have a damn bit to do with your ability or lack of a s a writer influence your score.  I think it sucks but I am tired of worrying about something I cannot change.
    I get cash for actually WRITING elsewhere so when I see someone who isn't much of a writer with a higher score than mine I just let it go.
    I've grown used to writing in forums since someone turned me in to hub pages because they don't like my expressing my opinion.  NOW I shall express it even more here.  My score was once as high as 88 and now since having 14 of my hubs flagged and pulled out of circulation for a day or so my score has dropped to 76.  Whatever, as my kids would say.
    I am concerned, however, about that remark made about staying above 75.  Did I miss something here somewhere?  I thought the "worry' scores were lower than that.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your author score drops below 75, the "nofollow" tag gets applied to all outgoing links on all your Hubs. 

The "worry score" as you call it for individual Hubs is 40 or lower.

8. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Don't worry, a few days ago I was a 91, and now I'm a 82. 

I'm not a number, I'm a free man!

1. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From your picture, you look more like a dead man smile

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha!!! big_smile

i heard that going on fanning binges will bring down your score. i was at 100 all day yesterday then i fanned a bunch of people and -boom- i lost my 100...i have a bunch of people who fanned me after that and now i'm afraid to return the favour wink yikes

(i will do it in a few days though, i promise)

9. wsp2469 profile image60

Well, just be glad you're not me.  Someone who doesn't appreciate my speaking my mind--which I only do because I was told we are supposed to do here reported me.  I had 13 or 14 hubs flagged in one day. 
    Needless to say, my score is still suffering.  I have lost 13 points (so far) since this happened.  So be glad you're not me if you worry about your score!
    Do what you enjoy and try to stay above 75.  I'm not sure why 75 is a magical number but it is.
    (Almost makes you wonder why I don't beg people to go and click open a bunch of my hubs and leave them open all day, huh?)

10. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Is it pure coincidence that almost all of the hubbers who say "dont worry about your Hubber score" have a score in the high nineties or 100?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I say the same, and mine is nowhere close and never been. smile

1. sannyasinman profile image59
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're 93 though . . I'll settle for that...In fact I was 93 for a short while .... ah, those heady halcyon days! smile

2. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its a number, its not who I am.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I am not a number...! I am a free (wo)man!"

3. lorlie6 profile image73
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think starting this topic did something to your score, today, a 97.  I don't really know all that much about these algorithms, but I find it fascinating to watch my hubscores fluctuate throughout each day...

11. wsp2469 profile image60

How about a 15 point drop in score since I was hit with those 13 or 14 flags?  I don't know if it will ever stop now.
    Oh well, it won't stop me from speaking my mind!

1. Misha profile image63

Wsp, it should be something else. You are below 70 now. Flags won't do that. Dupes, excessive fanning, spam comments?

1. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

All I know is I was between 84 and 88.  Then in a period of one day I had 13 hubs flagged and not all of them were restored within that same day.  ki don't do spam.  i am also not an "e-bay whore".  I have not put up a hub is a few days but other than that I don't know what could have knocked me down that far.  Personally, I gota big smile on my face when it stopped at 69! 

If you have read some of my hubs you would know why I find that funny.

So anyway, I took most of the weekend off but that was after it hit 69.

1. Misha profile image63

Umm, I took a look at dozen of your hubs, and all of them link to your employer site. If this pattern persists across your other hubs, I am positive this is the reason for your low hubscore. smile

I wondered about that, too.  here's the thing about that.  my boss has a hub here.  She has links on ALL her hubs.  Her score is presently 80.

The other thing is, this was never an issue before . . . nor was I ever told this was a problem.  In fact, I don't have links to her site (my column and other website reviews) on ALL 150 plus hubs.

Still, if you have a way to test the theory I would try it.  I just am suspicious because my score always stayed in the 80s until all the nonsense went down recently.  E-mail me if you have a way to test this. 

I would probably believe the reason I stayed in the 80s previously was because of having links to my boss' website. 

Would not having published a hub in a while have an influence on the score as well?

1. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's in the FAQ, listed as one answer to "My hub was flagged as overly promotional, what does that mean?"

http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

It was never an issue with my hubs in the past. I also kept to 0 to 2 links per hub.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure , why were ya hit with flags and how do you know it was flagging?? like did HP tell you , oh have ya emailed them an asked?

Speak ya mind ,by all means, if thats what bastes ya turkey lol

Nice pic, eagle.  I didn't know you were so cute.

I think someone did not like my speaking my mind somewhere and turned me in and things snowballed from there.  There was even a flagging on a hub on which I only posted a comment on . . . so obviously someone found a way to f*** with me.  Much to the credit of HP MOST of the 13 hubs flagged in one day were restored the same day.
        When I say flagging i use it as a generic term.  No doubt some of it was reported, some flagging and some off air. . .I don't know I don't speak that language.  I DID find out people only like to see the nipples of MEN here in pictures.

Yes.  Before this happened my community involvement was going to be kept to a bare minimum to say the  least.  NOW that I have the impression ONE person does not want to hear what I have to say I just might be the first Hubber to receive the "Loud-Mouthed As$hole of the Day Award".  This place is based out of America.  "Don't Tread On Me"!

Yup, sweet, innocent, shy, American white-boy me . . .

1. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter if 'someone' dislikes you, if HubPages HQ find you within the bounds of their Terms of Service, 'nothing' is going to happen. You won't even know that 'nothing' has happened, that's how 'nothing' works.

12. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Listen to Misha , he aint always right , but sometimes he makes lots of sense wink

13. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I was away for a month and didnt use hubapges and then didnt use it for the subsequent month. When I left, my score was mid-80's I think. At the beginning of this week I started being active again and started dropping from 90. This morning I was on 86, this evening I'm back on 90! Go figure.

I also have the knack of killing threads!!

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

The snow is getting closer to me, it was in London, ON this morning. Stay away!

1. lrohner profile image70

We had it yesterday from early afternoon on. And it very rarely snows here before Thanksgiving week (last Thursday in November).

So sending it to ya, UW! Get your skis out! smile

2. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How can you hate snow but live in Canada? lol smile

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

All I can say is I wasn't born here... I don't like snow, I don't like cold, I don't like hockey...

1. lrohner profile image70

Methinks it's time to get the double hockey sticks out of dodge, lady! smile

2. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what made you choose Ontrario as a place to live?

1. profile image0
        Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes...inquiring minds want to know. smile

16. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I felt the sameway, my score decreased when I published three hubs at the sametime....kind of a bummer but I want my score to be above 90 as well.  Who knows?

17. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I think it also has to do with backlinks and traffic that's coming to your Hubs hmm don't quote me on that though.

1. advisor4qb profile image75
      advisor4qbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is a backlink?

18. Francis911 profile image60
    Francis911posted 14 years ago

i am experiencing this.

My hubs are 70+

but my rating is only 59.

why is this?

1. Dame Scribe profile image58
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, as you only been here 3 wks would be quite a indication. We all started there too you know. smile don't despair.

19. Dame Scribe profile image58

A backlink ... you post/include your HP link at another site which points to your HP site smile

1. advisor4qb profile image75
      advisor4qbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks!

20. Dame Scribe profile image58

Welcome to HubPages, Prettydarkhorse smile Promoting your Hubs outside of HP will help. Signature, forums, directories, RSS, etc. smile sprinkle your URLs around the web to generate traffic and your scores will rise too. Your Hubs looked good too, btw.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you so much for advise...and you are 100 wow! willread your hubs wait..

21. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

A little promotion goes a long way with hubpages, I am not sure of the formula, though I would be interested to find out what it is!

22. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You can keep being in denial and arguing over this, or you can read the FAQ (and Maddie's hub on overly promotional hubs) and see for yourself where your mistake was. It's your choice. I don't think I can provide any more help to this issue. Good luck. smile

I'm not in denial.  All I am saying is that BEFORE someone decided to flag/report/whatever me I was holding a score somewhere in the 80s.  Then 13 hubs were off air for a day . . . a couple for two days.

If anything had been at issue before I would have seen it in my hub score before this, right?

Plus, some of my hubs don't have a link to my other writing.  I am not arguing.  I am simply reporting on what is happening.  my hubs have less links than they did BEFORE the 13 were down and NOW my score is at 66.

I could almost accept that as a reason for some fluctuation earlier but NOW I have less links than before--was NEVER over the limit--and the score continues to drop.

Another odd note, my score dropped to 69 Friday.  I stopped posting in the forums all weekend.  I posted in the forums once today and --BANG-- the drop began again.

Thanks for your input, at any rate.  I'll keep that in mind for when things go back to normal--IF they ever do.

23. wsp2469 profile image60

Silly me.

I have been checking my stats.  I used to put out at least one hub every other day or so.

Maybe that is why my score is still going down since the weekend.

So I finished a hub I was working on
    http://hubpages.com/hub/He-Probably-Doe … -Maybe-Not
    and I'm hoping for the best!

24. johncheung profile image60
    johncheungposted 14 years ago

I am worried about my hubscore too. I was at 30 when I sign up 26hrs ago, now i only have 9. I have done 2 hubpage and have no idea what is wrong. Will I be ban if i drop to zero ?

1. ClaudetteK profile image58
      ClaudetteKposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mine is in the 60's and since I wasn't skooled I feel it is good.

1. johncheung profile image60
        johncheungposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At least you have 60, I only have 4 now and I have no idea what is my mistake

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)