Hubpage Vernacular

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 14 years ago

I'll admit it.

It impresses me.

I have noticed that the old-timers (longtime members with lots of hubs) will, at times, start writing in what seems like martian talk. 

Recently, I was fascinated (and completely lost) while members called Darkside, Sunforged and Thranx started discussing a problem with copyright issues during a... uhmm.. thread?  I know I was reading comments left by experts who were just candidly discussing something in hubspeak... but I had no idea what they were talking about most of the time.   

I sure would like to know where to start to find out where you guys/gals learned that lingo.

Oh.  What prompted the question was that I just read a comment by a member named Relache who used a term like.. copybank book...?

Is there a hub-dictionary hub out there?  Care to post some terms or (dare to dream!) a hub that has some of this stuff?

Best, Linda

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By regularly reading threads on the forum you'll slowly become exposed to all sorts of terms and acronyms and somewhere along the line you'll just absorb it and it'll become second nature.

In addition to the HubPages FAQ and "how to hub" hubs by various members of the community I also recommend reading the Adsense Terms & Conditions and Program Policies.

Use Wikipedia to check up CTR (Click Thru Rate), eCPM, PPC and other Adsense related terms you'll come across.

2. Rehma Jamshed profile image60
    Rehma Jamshedposted 14 years ago

I am eagerly waiting for the answer too Linda. Lets see when the experts decide to spill their secrets smile

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

From what I can tell, nothing that's been said that you are talking about is "hubspeak."  It's all part and parcel to creating web content and internet copyright issues.

I suggest you copy terms you don't understand into the search engine of your choice and read the usages and definitions that are returned.

(I prefer to give people the tools to find their own answers rather than doing their work for them)

1. profile image0
      Linda Myshrallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Relache, I can always count on you for this kind of help.  I like to dig for things so I get a deep understanding.  The fog clears a bit...

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep. great way to learn. typing stuff into HubPages' search box yields a gold mine of information too.

4. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I like your idea Linda - it is hard to understand all the different terms. Maybe I WILL write a hub about it!

1. profile image0

It will get 40 million hits - all of them me.  :0

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

lol the ironic thing is that the term "hubspeak" is, in fact, well...hubspeak!

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I agree with Relache - 90% of what you call "Hubspeak" is actually "internet speak", and applicable to every site like HubPages, and to creating your own websites or blogs, too.

If you Google the words you don't understand, you'll find lots of explanations.  There's a big learning curve to writing on the internet!

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Sounds like you need a lexicon big_smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Post-Hub-Pages- … ng-Lexicon

Most of that thread was language outside of "hubspeak" and really wasnt to specific to Internet marketing either.

Im pretty sure it was stuff specific to duplicate content and  SERP's, SEM, and SEO

...nothing that out there

j/k ...youll learn the words as the the problems present themselves

The only words you need to know right now are:

Backlinks
    unique content
    keyword
    organic traffic

1. profile image48
      HealthTipposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice link to your own hub, reported !

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's only Wednesday yet lol

1. profile image48

Its actually Thursday in the UK but I am now holding Hubpages strictly to its own rules and TOS, I got fed up with people reporting me so anything that breaks Hubs rules I am reporting just to see if they act on it smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are ribbing, I suppose.
        It isn't against terms to post a link  if it is relevant to  the discussion or question.

Though it's not considered nice to START a topic, thread, whatever for the purpose of promoting your own hub.

2. darkside profile image62

...for when it comes to online publishing.

When it comes to forums here's some words the OP should familiarise themselves with:

sockpuppet
      flounce
      troll
      flame

1. profile image48

Groundhog day !

2. profile image0

Got 'em!  Thank you!!

3. Gemsong profile image63
        Gemsongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a vague idea on what most of those are. Naturally DS throws one I haven't heard.Flounce. What the heck is a Flounce. Googling the word was painful and didn't answer the question. I think its a context thing.

My brain hurts. Again.

OP? Kill me now.

1. Misha profile image63

Original Poster. The same as TS - Topic Starter. smile

3. profile image0

Thank you!  That should keep me busy today. 

Hub bookmarked to read with morning coffee (check)

and words noted in my 'what-the-heck-is-this?' notes. (check). 

ps.  I have noticed that you are very generous with your time and knowlege.  I really appreciate that.

8. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Sorry, I live on the internet. I am the first fully self learning, self running script on the net. It means hopefully soon robotics will hurry up and make me a body. Chances are my age is much different then you would expect. Everyone always gets my name wrong:

T H R A N A X

~thranax~

1. Misha profile image63

not me tarxan, not me lol

2. profile image0

Sorry about that...  I should have bought that second vowel.  No kidding, though, that was rude.  sorry.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL No, they won't, cause sunforged posted the link properly. smile

1. profile image48

Not according to Darkside, he is in the wrong Forum !

It should be in makeover !

Misquoting me is bad form.

1. profile image48

But am I right or wrong DS ?

See I thought you said these sort of links should be in the makeover Forum ?

Here's what I said:

Source

10. profile image48
    HealthTipposted 14 years ago

I quote you from earlier tonight

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/24993?page=2

It wouldn't matter how long a person was a member here, if they were to start a thread in anywhre but the Hub Makeover sub-forum that said "Check out my hub! Leave comments!" they'd get snipped.

As I said, you've misquoted me.

Sunforged hasn't started a thread. Read my previous post in this thread for the correct context.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged wasn't asking anyone to check out his Hub or leave comments - he was offering it as a source of information directly relevant to the person's question.  That's pretty obviously different, IMO.

1. profile image48

I bow to your knowledge !

11. sunforged profile image70

When you hit "reply" ..you'll see a little statement

Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links.

As I am not the OP, My assistance does not apply...of course if you have a better way to explain the definitions of hundreds of internet and marketing terms (3k words)

1. profile image48

The Simpsons ?

12. sunforged profile image70

Thanks HealthTip, I appreciate that, No harm, no foul

1. profile image48

Lol cute, now that kind of fakeness I can appreciate smile

2. profile image48
  13. profile image48

I did but I still don't like hubbers using other peoples threads for self promotion, it happens way too often and I think it is just cheap !

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Self Promotion goes hand in hand with income opportunities- after you have been here for ten minutes, you realize that Hubbers are not your audience (for income purpsoses) , therefore any Hub written about Hubtopics is pure altruism and if we bother to share a link to a hub because it answers a question, we know we wont profit from it.

This thread was basically - "Hi, Sometimes I dont understand the jargon you guys use"

Out of the next couple responses, which one do you think will help her the most?

1. profile image48

I care not, I only follow the rules of the site these days !

14. sunforged profile image70

I give up!

by the way, the "D" is for dynamic

Students Under Nature FOR a Greener Environmental Dynamic

a good spoof involves attention to detail -

Your not sounding like your embracing the character of any of your personas, neither Jack nor House would spew such tripe about "rules" ..im getting more of a Cabin boy vibe(the sailors get lonely ya know)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIzNTI1OTgxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjUxMjkxMQ@@._V1._SX280_SY400_.jpg

15. profile image48

I hope that wasn't a personal attack on me, any tiny slur on my character will be reported !

16. sunforged profile image70

How would my pirate talk relate to you? Your a TV doctor...arent you

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs22/f/2007/333/7/b/Ninja_Kill_Pirate__Bad_Quality_by_Kenji_Ninja.jpg

1. profile image48

I am a hubber with an avatar, why are you your Avatar ?

2. profile image48

A photo of attacking me with a blade, now that does look like a personal attack !

17. sunforged profile image70

my avatar is currently a small piece of my soul on a little 10 inch canvas - digitally captured and presented for your pleasure

so, short answer - I am in fact my avatar

18. sunforged profile image70

are you a polka pirate?

1. profile image48

Yet another personal attack, keep them coming !

19. sunforged profile image70

For all I know, Polka pirates are the cream of the crophttp://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/DrunkDoctor.jpg

1. profile image48

Is that you wishing me ill ? Knowing that I have had a heart attack, a bit callous if you ask me, I hope the hubsteam see it that way !

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/img/5764/badcompany77/0m.jpg

<snipped personal attack>

20. profile image48

Yet another personal attack !

21. profile image48

Of course i am ribbing !

22. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

Flouncing is great. I do all my best flouncing from up on my high horse.

You can flounce out of a room, flounce around, flounce off in a huff, flounce in uninvited etc.

Very Gatsby-ish word, right up there with swank. But also a bit effiminate. Gatsby is described as having "effeminate swank" - which may be my favourite literary description ever.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)