"single, short, and a little bit chubby"

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

no, this isn't to ask how many males on hub pages have these characteristics.  that's rather obvious.

instead, as reported on a public radio program heard across the country (on the left side of the dial), the accused suspect in the ft. hood shooting possesses these characteristics, making him more likely to attempt such an act than if he weren't "single, short, and a little bit chubby." 

is this viable news reporting? or is it bigoted?

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about a poor sense of timing?  It would appear to be a failed attempt at humor?

blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it would appear that this particular public radio program continues to slide into to gutter of infotainment.  poor timing and failed humor?  more like a basic incompetence.

2. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image60
        Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A screwed up way to compensate for lack of machismo...perhaps he should have done what other men do???  They are responsible for women being poor judges of distance because the men teach us that what appears to be two inches is actually six or eight inches???  Yes?

2. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In answer to your last question that is just stupid !

3. profile image57

I just read the entire article.  When I consider the entire article I don't see it as bigoted. However when you read the line:
      ""single, short, and a little bit chubby."  I just doesn't fit with the rest of the article. BAD EDITING...

you're correct, cj, bad editing.  combined with bad reporting and the company's desire to shift away from what made them successful. they're more than happy to slide into the infotainment world of sensationalism.  complete, total, and absolute irresponsibility.

i'm not "single, short, and a little bit chubby," but if i were, it's a guarantee that npr would be given the riot act. 

as lita posted previously, their book reviews are abysmal at best.  their music reviews are even worse.

1. profile image57

What I like about NPR is that it is (or maybe used to be) plain news...by that I mean it was simply read as is...very little commentary.

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

What was this, BD?  Air America?  I kinda hate them...

It wasn't NPR, was it?

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha, BD...concerning your last post.  Well.  I'm sure there is some truth in it, wink.

*edit...and be sure the women of hp have running theories going, too.  (Don't worry, you are on to it!)

in some instances, it's called short man syndrome for a reason.

1. profile image0

Awww.  I know you are tall...and my bf is 6', but I've known many attractive & charming shorter guys.  It's usually some other, really disagreeable trait.

And rebekah - You'd be surprised what is overlooked in big organizations.  Sometimes it seems the unstable ones are the ones who stay...driving a lot of decent people out or away (or in this case, God...killing them).

that's why i added my disclaimer, in some instances.

i have a lifelong friend who is 5'6".  he's a good man, and even better friend.  the only problem is that his hair is about an inch longer than mine.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so many things are going to be said. there was another NPR article about how officials from Walter Reed had discussed his mental stabilty since 2008.  how is this stuff overlooked?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … &cc=fp

listened to this report as well.  this afternoon's news was almost disgusting.  very juvenile reporting, with a severe inability to ask the questions that will hold people accountable.  everyone is in the CYA mode, saying i told you so, etc.  now he's a scapegoat.

last thursday morning he was a Major in the u.s. army.

3. profile image57

NPR???? WOW, I would have never guessed!

3. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

glad i'm not short and chubby.

lita, did you notice the trolls staying away from this one?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

1. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image60
        Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps November 11th is the International Troll Holiday and they are all off celebrating themselves, yes??

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

that's for sure, both big and small organizations/companies.

it's all about power and control.

5. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

Infotainment is a growing trend both on the internet and the cable news channels.  I hate to admit it, but the best American news is probably the BBC.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I read the article, and the way I took what they said was that he couldn't find a girlfriend or wife because he was short and chubby.  It struck me as two-step jump from short and chubby to girlfriend-less - and then from there, more likely a freako killer.  It pretty much looks to me like whoever was reporting didn't want to see any of the elephants in the room and was, instead, looking for flimsy "other reasons".

It's pretty irresponsible, though, because the world is full of tall and chubby, short and thin, or tall and think mental-case freaks.  Besides, I somehow doubt this guy's only problem finding women was being chubby or short!  lol  He's a mental-case weirdo who wanted to be a terrorist.  Points off in the eyes of most normal women looking for date.  smile

1. profile image0

Yeah.  There are just strange things sometimes on NPR news programs.  I can't explain it.  Most of the time, I enjoy listening, but when it comes down to it, the shows I like are more arts, music or science oriented.  The news I always find a bit 'off.'  They also at times make too much of some books, just because they are deemed 'literary.'  Or, should I say, coming out of this or that writing program.  Which doesn't equal 'good.'

7. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I second that, simply stupid  and irresponsible reporting at its finest

8. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Short, chubby, well educated, socially inept and a psychiatrist? hmm

9. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

And the editors are where?

maybe npr could jump in here and give us their reason as to why that particular reporter still has a job.  or what exactly were the editors thinking.

if jeff brady is trying to follow daniel schorr's footsteps, he might want to consider purchasing a compass.

2. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years ago

NPR made a programming shift about 8 months ago and took off a great favorite drive-time program - the reason given was budget cuts.  I didn't understand it at the time since it was such a terrific topical show.  Haven't listened since as the replacement was drivil.  Obviously the shift to the infotainment world is the answer.  Thanks for the heads up.

3. caranoelle profile image78
      caranoelleposted 14 years ago

Saying that the shooter is "single, short, and a little bit chubby" is bigoted, I believe.  This is no excuse.  Are we now going to profile people based on their attractiveness?  If so, who will determine what is attractive?  Some women like men like that, some men like women that are big too.  *sigh*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)