Your Hub profile photo - How much difference does it make?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (77 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Really, I have noticed a difference in readership and response in the forum depending on which profile photo I have up.  Do you?  And please tell us about your photo, your avatar

1. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, and I thought the content of my hubs would be the true measure of my success or failure on HP. Might be high time for me to find a better picture. smile

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

there's nothing wrong with your picture!

2. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There have been numerous threads discussing this topic. It's interesting how the same kind of people are interested in the same kind of things...

1. mega1 profile image79

oh well

3. Rangerwife profile image60
      Rangerwifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure.  I've only used one photo.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I havent notice an increase, but i try to post my latest photo always..

1. mega1 profile image79

oh - well, you couldn't improve on that face!

3. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image87
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

I've only used the one photo since being on here. It's a good theory. I would like to change my pic sometime to see if that has anything to do with it.

1. mega1 profile image79

its fun to see what people come up with - my cheetah has had a great effect on people.  a cheetos eating cheetah - haha

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

An attractive picture of a female, perhaps with cleavage, is always going to win a little extra traffic. Unfortunately that means that many 'female' hubbers are in fact males masquerading as the opposite sex for traffic. I will never be a traffic whore, not that I need to be, in fact I have a new motto "Dont be a traffic whore, learn SEO and earn much more".

1. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image87
      BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HA! You should make that a hub. I would read it!

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A poet, as well! Is there a song lyric in this, Ryan? Perhaps to the tune of "Err-lie in the Morning." (Pirates songs are appropriate for every occasion, says I.)

Oh, and I agree with you...

5. Princessa profile image80
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I don't think it makes that much difference.  I always use a photo of myself and change it seasonally, but I have not notice any difference.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I think it makes a big difference, it's our first impression and that's how we view that hubber never knowing sometimes who they really are - it's the fun part that's important

1. mega1 profile image79

I agree lyrics - and I wish I had the stats to prove it, looks are important to us!

7. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I want to get a picture of a hot chic wearing nothing but blood and latex just to see if there would be a change.  What do you think?

1. maudine_05 profile image61
      maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Silly you!
      I agree with one of the comments thats its the fun part thats important and yes it is because the thrill of knowing having to see someone that you have not actually met in person is quite interesting.

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how tall would she be, just curious

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How tall are you?

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How tall are YOU? big_smile

3. Dao Hoa profile image62
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That pic will be thought provoking!

1. profile image0

and if done properly, it will provoke a whole lotta things!

1. mega1 profile image79

now thats scarey! lol

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'ld pose for that   lol
      seriously, i had tons more fans when i had a different picture.

1. profile image0

You can pose for me anytime!

8. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I use the logo from my entertainment business card.
    It's acutally a picture of me, fishing on the front of my bassboat in negative,

It's photo-shopped a bit, the mic was actully a beer bottle and a fishing rod was removed from my left hand, but otherwise that's who I am.

I hope it's the writing and the subjects that bring the traffic.

Sometimes 200 lbs of screamin steel and sex appeal just aint enough.

Okay you can laugh now.

9. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

lol  lol  lol  !

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I think it's not really possible for someone to gauge what a person's profile picture is for real or fake. Especially, if it's a picture of a guy or girl.

Exotic picture like mine, hide everything. However, many of my Hubs are labeled with my full name, so it is easy for people to figure out, whether or not, I am male or female.

It could make a difference, but when you have others who a being deceitful about their profile pictures, purposely putting a female up as a picture, when in fact a man is using the account, is pathetic for those people.

I think integrity is more important, but many others may not see things like I do and they are not required. I'm not willing to compromise my own conscience for the sake of money.

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I'm using this photo of my Papa/grandpa because he has passed on and I want to show him respect because I loved him so much while he was alive and still love him now.

And I haven't noticed any changes since I put this picture up.

12. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I have changed 3 or 4 avatars. I don't find any difference before or after.
    I changed them because I get bored of seeing the dsame one all the time.

1. profile image0

big_smile

2. Dao Hoa profile image62
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a good reason. I like MM's avatar too.

13. beckykolacki profile image60
    beckykolackiposted 14 years ago

I have just joined so I don't have any personal experience yet, but it's interesting to read your thoughts on this.  I'll keep these things in mind!

14. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I would hope it doesn't make a difference, but Ryan is right.  Try the sexy girl stuff & you'll have numerous men from the forum falling all over you - but do they read your stuff?  Do they comments on your articles or do they just play with you in the forums?

I'm content with my flowers.  I'm looking for organic traffic & if my article comes up in a google search, they won't see my picture first.  I want readership, I don't want want fans because of my looks - but if it works for you & all you are after are "fans" - then go for it!

15. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I changed my pic 20 minutes ago and not even my forum buddies noticed smile

1. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe cause it blurry, try another

1. h.a.borcich profile image62
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ty for telling me smile I guess I should get my eyes checked soon! And it really explains my typos.

16. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

I seem to get more page views with my real avatar opposed to my cheshire cat avatar..

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this picture over a cheshire cat. So, I fanned you. lol

1. profile image0

me too - oops already had, sorry but nice pic

17. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

The only thing I personally find difficult is when hubbers who normally use an avatar suddenly switch to a real photo of themselves. It takes some getting used to -- but eventually I adjust!
    It's been awhile since I used real photos of me.
    Don't notice more or less traffic.
    Sourcing seasonal avatars is part of the fun for me!

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i always love your avitars smile

18. profile image0

see perfect point - I love MM's avatars

19. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I had noticed but wondered about the actual readership and you've confirmed my thoughts - THANKS.
    When joining, I opted for the 2nd defination from dictionary.com  "an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life."  and attempted to create an "embodiment". BUT...I definately see the validity and interest of having a changable avatar.  I've been considering branching into some other subjects and thought that creating a second yet changable avatar for that would be fun.

20. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

I am always changing my photo but my makeup department is a little weak right now big_smile

21. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

Did anyone notice my new eye shadow?

1. mega1 profile image79

I didn't want to say anything, thought you just looked kinda tired! smile

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a bit tired.  Maybe we should go to bed.   I mean I should go to bed... Freud? grrr like a tiger.

22. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

HA! bed? at this hour? well.  Ok

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hot. its after 3am here...  actually it always seems to be after 3am when i say the time.  hmmm

1. mega1 profile image79

its a big world and its always 3 am somewhere, it's only after 11 am here

23. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I think that visual type people enjoy seeing a familiar avatar. Sometimes when you are looking for interesting hubs to read, or you've rad quite a lot, or you are new - a familiar avatar jumps out at you.

1. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think so too. smile

24. profile image0

I get a different response every time I change it, and it's fun changing

1. mega1 profile image79

lyrics, my how you have changed this time!

25. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

well, rangerwife, I'm pretty sure its making at least a little difference for U! smile

26. Frugal Fanny profile image58
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

I haven't really noticed any difference here, but I have noticed that the type of pic I had up on other forums and sites changed things a bit.  Then again, that could largely be because I was younger, less experienced on the web, and the images were sorta racy :p

27. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

you can have a gorgeous avatar with a half-naked girl in it but if your hubs suck, you're not going to get any traffic. i have said this before, and i'll say it again, since this thread topic crops up over and overrrrr again - interesting, entertaining hubs generate traffic and revenue and fans, and what you say in forums also, regardless of what avatar you have.

28. Frugal Fanny profile image58
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

These days, I just post a pic that I feel reflects my personality, whether it's a pic of me or my baby (as with the current one) or something else entirely.  It's whatever fits my personality.

29. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i luv that little baby!!!! so cute smile

1. Frugal Fanny profile image58
      Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww, ty smile  That's my favourite funny little pic of her.

30. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

Seems to me your Avatar should have meaning.I have been accused of using mine as an irreverent ploy to get attention.Here's the meaning.My Avatar is the photo of a prayer card that was given to the students of an Amazing man who had no formal education but was the greatest teacher in our lives.The card was passed out at his funeral.It serves as a reminder for those of us who could not afford higher education and were left to our own devices...

31. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I have no idea how much difference my avatar has made over time. I've only ever used this one, other than when I put a photo of me up which lasted maybe 12 hours at most.

It's probably the stupidest looking avatar ever used but at the time I picked it, it seemed relevant.

And (said again and again) that's why Vodka and sensible decisions don't mix neutral

32. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image60
    Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years ago

I love your avatar froggy, I think we need to change our avatars or photos seasonally, it helps to bring attention to our presence, but why be on hubpages at all if one is not interested in marketing? No?

33. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Since we are only human and easily influenced the right Avatar choice will probably heavily influence your authority relating to your info.

As ryan pointed out, pretty women and sexy shots are surefire ways to bring in some traffic, is it worthwhile traffic?...no, probably not...unless your hub info relates to the horny male demographic, for example the avatar between me and frogdropping..beautiful, yep...will I be quick to believe that is in fact teh author, will i take any finance, seo, parenting or just about any advice seriously? No..

Selecting an icon or image that best supports your content is a great idea. you can probably do well just playing it safe with an impersonal icon but i would be careful with the sexy women, animated characters and comedy if your writing any topics you would like to be taken seriously for.

People do see and notice the picture of the writer.

Good thread...as i am now reminded that my recent Avatar that was placed up when i published an article on Pet Insurance should probably be changed out now.

Than again, sometimes its just fun to have fun...but keep in mind almost all your choices have effects on your readers interactions whether your motivations are earnings are just being read.

34. profile image0
    selrachposted 14 years ago

My picture is of a scottish comedy character who I can relate to.

35. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

cheetah is fast, cheetah is pretty, cheetah is pink!

36. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Good question ... One that I've been pondering myself. I've only used my clouds, but as of last night, with much encouragement from a few, I changed it to myself.  It hasn't had any impact so far....is that a good or bad thing???!!!?

(sending you some pink cheetah cheetos and pink elephant popcorn) big_smile

1. mega1 profile image79

big_smile:

37. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

My picture pretty much represents me. My zodiac sign is Leo and it's a sun sign so I used a combo of both.

38. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I thought this topic had already been covered? Oh well. Believe it or not, it doesn't appear to have any good or bad results. smile

39. Cleanclover profile image43
    Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

i only post my photos and people trust me and my hubs

40. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

well i change my avatars at least once a day...... sometimes in mid sentence.  I think it is because i am not great at making the computer work for me ...... but i do know how to change my picture.  This one i found a couple of weeks ago.  The old folk have started coming into the nursing home with teddies, and one lady brought a teddy just like this one and she carries around with her, and cries if we leave it behind.... she talks to it all day.  She has set a trend, now all the old ladies have teddies, they are very calming.  i wanted one, so here is mine..... it is called well i don't know what shall we call it

41. Dr23 profile image59
    Dr23posted 14 years ago

If someone is looking for a product or something along those lines, I'm pretty sure they don't even notice the picture I have as my profile pic. They are too focused on the product at hand.

42. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Since I've been using this photo I've seen a marked increase!

43. DogSiDaed profile image61
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I personally think a topless woman dishonest, but I don't mind others using it really, if it's for commercial purposes then that's just another clever plan. Mine is just an album cover of a favourite band, which is also a great work of art, I think. It makes no difference to my views as far as I'm aware XD

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)