Being Targeted

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 16 years ago

One of my hubpages has been targeted either by a 'gang' that is harassing me or one person who is very good at making up names and posting comment after comment. Is there any action I can take to make them go away or lock my comment box to people who are not Hubpages members? I might have to just delete the comment box altogether unless Hubpages management has a way to deal with being attacked. I'll give you the link to the Hub privately, or you can just look on your end for the big glob of hateful comments I got today.
    I hate to stop adding comments to all my Hubs altogether because doesn't that seriously effect your Hub score? Please help. I want Hubpages to be user friendly for those that don't have an axe to grind.

2. Moonmaiden profile image68

I have temporarily unpublished this HUB until admin has a chance to look into it.

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Moonmaiden, there are two options you can set in the comments capsule that might help.

1. Comments must be approved before they appear
    2. Only signed-in users may post comments

I'll look into it more on Monday, but the reality is there isn't much we can do to prevent someone from leaving annoying comments.  The only real option we have is to block them by IP Address, but depending on how they connect to the internet they may have access to many different potential ip addresses.

4. Moonmaiden profile image68

Thanks. I will go look for the 'only signed in users may comment.' Also, will there ever come a day when we can just hit 'deny' and have the comment deleted immediately? It makes me sick when I have to browse the same hateful remarks again and again.

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I knew I wasn't the only one who felt that way....

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

It's a good question - if you're going to deny a comment, why would you want to keep it?  I can't think of a single good reason not to delete them immediately.

6. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

I'll see what I can do about hiding denied comments and fan mails (it's in the queue now anyway).

7. Moonmaiden profile image68

Thanks Paul. You're the best!

8. thecounterpunch profile image58
    thecounterpunchposted 16 years ago

Wow I'm very surprised that people could post hatefull comments. I'm happy I didn't have any yet except on my hub "Why I never read 1984" but it wasn't even targeting me directly but the other commenters smile

9. Moonmaiden profile image68

All 14 of those cyber bullies that were harassing me voted my article down. Why am I not surprised. After I blocked them from commenting further, what else could they do?

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Don't lose heart Moonmaiden.  have more than 500 thumbs down on my hubs!

http://hubpages.com/u/131897_f520.jpg

10. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Which hub and we will vote it back up :-) Same thing happened to me on 1 of mine - fortunately it was only 1 person trying to advertise their hotel -  but I got thumbs down because of it! i

11. Kenny Wordsmith profile image73
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

It's sad, but I guess this is a fact of life: vandals are everywhere. You or I would not damage public property as a vent to our private anger, but there are those who do. This is the cyber form of such wretches.

12. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

Bullies are everywhere, but as SunSeven says - the more hits we get on our pages, the more thumbs down we will see probably. Can't please everyone. If we did, we would be too bland I think. smile

13. Apae profile image59
    Apaeposted 16 years ago

I don't think that 14 different people could all have similar opinions and be posting similar things on that one hub. Honestly, it seems to be maybe one or two people. And its really sad that anyone would do that!

14. Moonmaiden profile image68

You are right. All the person has to do is change their screen name and comment over and over again.
    But in this case, it's sad to say that 'clubs' of entertainers do travel in packs and trash those who 'aren't doing it right' according to their own standards. I've met these same types of people in real life that will steal a job right out from under you if they can convince people you are bad and they are good. One clown even called a client of mine and told her I was sick so she would be doing the show for me and would they please send her the deposit. Of course when I called them back to ask why I never got the deposit I uncovered her scheme.
    There will always be people that play dirty to get ahead.

15. Apae profile image59
    Apaeposted 16 years ago

There are no words to describe how sad people like that are. I can't see why anyone should want to drag anyone else down for their own benefits. Shouldn't HubPages have a way of monitoring people's IP addresses, and realising its the same person [if it is afterall].

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Why would you think they don't.

If someone starts to get a large number of thumbs down in quick succession, they should contact a team member.

Otherwise, a few downs is to be expected - they really don't have a noticeable effect unless there are tons of them. And, as I said, you can contact the hubpages team if that happens to see if you're being stalked by anyone in particular.

If its a hubber, it will be easy enough to determine.

16. Rudra profile image68
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

They probably think that they are applying "search engine optimisation" by linking to their own website or profile, but the reality is its a waste of time. Even if other hubbers go to their pages its not that we will go on their ads.
    Other thing is that comments like, "great hub", "thanks for sharing" really is showing that some are suffering from extreme need of visitors. Its clear that they have not read the story. useful comments add extra punch to the story.

17. Apae profile image59
    Apaeposted 16 years ago

Whenever I comment, I always try to say something to either add to the hub or demonstrate my understanding of it. Other than that, I ask questions. Useful feedback can really help an author and alot of people are just spoiling it.

18. OneShot profile image61
    OneShotposted 16 years ago

Too bad you can't send them my way, Moonmaiden.  I love a good fight.

19. sminut13 profile image63
    sminut13posted 16 years ago

well, i'm fortunate in the sense that only one hub of mine was given a thumbs down. no comment was written so i jus assumed that they didn't like the article. disheartened but ok. can't expect everyone to like. then i got another 2 more thumbs down for another article and i was wondering if i was doin somethin wrong. the first comment i couldnt' understand but the next one told me that it wasn't informative enough and short.
    fortunately though a criticism, it was a useful and helpful one as i now know what ppl are really looking for here in hub pages though i'm not tht experienced. i really sympathise with you moon maiden but again don lose heart.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)