Languages, how many can you speak?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (60 posts)
  1. G Miah profile image79
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

I'm interested to know how many peopl can speak different languages?

I can speak, English (obviusly!), Bengali, Hindi and i can speak a small amount of French.

I can also read arabic.

How many can you speak?

1. profile image51
      ASYMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I speak English,Hindi,Urdu and little Arabic

2. prosmentor profile image61
      prosmentorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can speak 4 languages. 1. English. 2. Ibo (a language in easthern part of Nigeria) 3. Amopkosi, a language created during Biafran war. 4. heavenly language or the tongue of Angels.

To learn arabic, buy the DVD on how to speak arabic. Gooluck.

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
        DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Number 4?! What does that sound like? xD

Also I see your Hubscore is up to 8, a little less stolen work yet? tongue

Edit: I speak English, a bit of Spanish (I have family there) and I can read some French but can't really speak it xD

3. dohn121 profile image82
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

English, Lao, Thai...Currently learning French.

4. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have read a lot of hubs here.  I can assure you that a lot of people here THINK they can speak more than one language but it truly is not so!
      I can talk dirty to women in French and Spanish and am also able to speak the Queen's English as well.
      I know a little sign language, too.

1. Unkotare profile image60
        Unkotareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is some important point in there.

2. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Two.  English and Sign Language. big_smile

1. Sean Leong profile image62
      Sean Leongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All right, you do have a sense of humor.lol

1. profile image52
        rialeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sean Leong
        What is so funny about lyricsingray's comment???
        Sign Language is a registered "Language" and it doesn't matter if its american/ Auslan/ Makiton... It is a registered REAL language and it qualifies one for bilingual status. Pidgin, however, is NOT as yet a language so does not qualify as bilingual. You need clarity.
        cheers

3. nextstopjupiter profile image60
    nextstopjupiterposted 14 years ago

I speak English, German, Low German and a little bit Hungarian, and I can read Dutch

4. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 14 years ago

Besides English, I know a enough French to get by, a little Spanish, some Italian, and just enough Cantonese to get into a whole lot of trouble. big_smile

5. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

English, Italian, some French and the Italian dialects of Gallurese and Sardo (though I'm not fluent in the dialects)

6. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

English, a tiny bit of Hungarian, enough Norwegian to get by and two sentences in Portuguese smile

7. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Count me in.  Haven't had much chance to use them lately, but I speak Thai, Dutch, English (some what anyway, I'm from the south), some Chinese, Vietnamese, and Italian.

8. G Miah profile image79

That's a nice selection of languages we got there! It's good and handy to know a bit of other languages, you never know when you'll need them.

Thank you all for your participation.

9. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I'm a native English speaker, can speak a smattering of German and I'm not too bad with Portuguese smile

1. packerpack profile image61
      packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi all I am here after a long time. Hey dear, you forgot to mention "Froglish"!

So far I am concerned, they are!
      English - I grew up learning that.
      Hindi - National language of India.
      Bengali - Regional language of the place where I was born an brought up
      Maithali - My native tongue spoken in some small parts of north India.

1. Sean Leong profile image62
        Sean Leongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can speak fluently in English, Mandarin & Malay. Can read and write well in the 3 languages as well. Also,I can speak fluently in 3 of the Chinese dialects, i.e. Cantonese, Hokkien & Hakka.

On top of that, a little bit of High German & Spanish.

10. Karina S. profile image60
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

Two-English and Russian

11. Gale Force profile image61
    Gale Forceposted 14 years ago

How about, in addition to saying how many languages you speak, you say where you're from?

There's an old joke - what is someone who speaks three languages - a tri linguiest. What is someone who speaks two languages - bilingual What do you call someone who only speaks one language. American.

But really, the US is such a huge country, and the only country that borders that uses a foreign language is Mexico, so Americans have never had to learn any language other than English.  Where people in Europe live in small countries where they have to learn other languages just to survive.

And apparently Africa has something like a thousand languages!  Sheesh. They should all just learn English. Or Esperanto, if the thought of English is anethama to them...Something so that everyone can communicate with each other and get a little dialog goin'.

1. profile image51
      inc999posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We say only an ignorant who speak one luanguage ( beside sign luanguage)

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
        Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

English (both forms American and UK) Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, German, smatterings of Hindi and Arabic----American

12. Gale Force profile image61
    Gale Forceposted 14 years ago

Oh...and I'm American and I know the barest smattering of German and Spanish, and have always regretted not concentrating more on learning these languages when I was younger... I'm too old now, with too many things on my plate.

13. Kapalbility02 profile image61
    Kapalbility02posted 14 years ago

Two. One is Tagalog, and the other are brokn English.

14. DaniellaWood profile image72
    DaniellaWoodposted 14 years ago

3 - English (my native language), Francais and Deutsch smile
    I would love to learn so many more though - I have a passion for languages. Russian, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian...they all interest me!

15. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

i know about 4 languages

16. cocopreme profile image91
    cocopremeposted 14 years ago

I'm a native English speaker from America and I know enough French and Spanish to have a basic conversation.  I can read and write better in French and Spanish than I can speak.  I also had two years of Latin in high school.  I still remember a few words and phrases.

17. profile image0
    Hikikomoriposted 14 years ago

One - English.

I'm the only one in my family who can't speak French.

18. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

2 - English and IM/Texting - languages of their own smile

1. Ladybird33 profile image64
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am the same, English and IM/Texting (mtsi - good one!)

19. aka-dj profile image67
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Three.
    English, American and Australian. lol Is that what you mean? hmm
    Oh, maybe not.

Still three
    English, Serbian/Croatian, Hungarian. All pretty fluently, including the written stuff. big_smile

20. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

i speak english, spanish, and understand  a little bit of the indian dialecs from the villages far back in the boondocks in mexico

21. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

four local languages in the Philippines and english --fluent - speak, read and write

and spanish with difficulty speaking, but read and can write

22. akihan profile image68
    akihanposted 14 years ago

English and Mandarin, a smattering of dialects, some broken French, Thai and Korean.

Sometimes i get so mixed up with the various languages that I can't tell which to use.

23. DeeBee3 profile image61
    DeeBee3posted 14 years ago

English, Spanish and Turkish.

24. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

FIVE: French, Dutch, German, English and Spanish. In my case knowing 5 languages fluently is not a merit, merely the result of circumstances. I lived in all those countries for several years. Comes in handy sometimes on the London streets when asked for directions by tourists. You can surprise them by replying in their own tongue.

25. G Miah profile image79

I learnt English from when i was 7 years old when i came to UK. After 12 years in UK, i went back to BD, but by that time i couldn't speak Bengali anymore, so couldn't understand people over there for upto 2 weeks.

I was top of the class for five years in French, but then i got bored of the language, because you had to use an accent by speaking in a certain, and it seemed to me i had to speak with a snail in my throat to get the accent out!!!

26. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

Mostly English, some German, and a tad bit of Spanish,

27. G Miah profile image79

Sorry for not being very active in this thread, i've been very busy with other things, you mighht think i have deserted you after posting this topic!

1. alexandriaruthk profile image68
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its ok Miah, two languages for me, spanish and english

28. Maratha Warrior profile image60
    Maratha Warriorposted 14 years ago

I can speak three Marathi ,Hindi , English and now I'm learning French.

29. lovelife999 profile image61
    lovelife999posted 14 years ago

i can speak English, Bengali and Chinese..

G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bala asoni?

30. profile image0
    sarah dawkinsposted 14 years ago

I speak English, American, Australian fluently.  A little of Spanish and French, and plenty of double Dutch with alcohol.........

G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds great!

31. keira7 profile image61
    keira7posted 14 years ago

I speak French, English and Arabic.

32. Black Lilly profile image61
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

3, including English.

I can easily understand other 4. Also basic knowledge in another 3 (room for improvement...).

33. Veronica Allen profile image70
    Veronica Allenposted 14 years ago

English, a little Sign language, and a little Spanish
    I'm still learning the last two languages

34. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

English, Spanish, Charlestonian, Appalachian, and general Southern.

35. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

One and a half languages. I know English and my wifes filipino dialaect of Illongo but not prevalent enough to call it good yet. I should've learned Tagalog the national language of the islands but then I'd not be able to speak well enough with her family.

36. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

Perhaps we should all use complete sentences in this particular thread.  Considering the fact that I just said that a lot of people here in HP only THINK they can speak more than one language, don't you all think it would be a good idea? 
    Face it, we ALL read each other's hubs.
    Some of us only THINK we can speak English!

37. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

English, I hope, smile and Spanish, and a little bit of sign language, well... I can sign "beautiful" and " I love you".

38. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

English, a lil spanish, some mexican spanish,(there is a difference), Texan, and some Ebonics,

39. profile image52
    rialeeposted 14 years ago

English, Aussie(yep its different aye), lil aboriginal, sign language (Makiton, Auslan and some american), a lil french n teeny bit of spanish.

40. Unkotare profile image60
    Unkotareposted 14 years ago

I think "can you speak" is a vague standard, but I guess I'd claim some facility in about 6 languages if I'm being generous with myself.

41. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I have been known to speak english, and as they say on airplaine, I speak a little Jive. I can also count to 4 in spanish. And learned some bad arabic words but don't know how to spell them.

42. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Four (or three, and one non-spoken). I'm fluent in English and ASL, conversational in Spanish and Lakota.

There are many sign languages that count as real languages...however, what most people learn in the US is SEE, which is not a language in and of itself, but rather a visual representation of a spoken language...yes, I'm fluent in SEE as well, but it's a system, not a language.

43. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

English, French, Cantonese, Toisan, body lol

44. Suri Serene profile image60
    Suri Sereneposted 14 years ago

I'm from Malaysia and so I speak fluent Malay.
    I can speak English and a little bit of Spanish.
    I can also understand Arabic language pretty well smile but hardly converse it well.
    And I'm currently in the process of learning Urdu and brush up my lost Arabic language!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)