Would you attend a gay wedding?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (63 posts)
  1. stormie92 profile image56
    stormie92posted 14 years ago

I would attend a gay wedding even if it was against my beliefs. (which it isn't, I have many, many gay, lesbian and bisexual friends).

He is your friend, and yes, even though you are against it... you should put it aside and be there for him on his special day. Suck it up and enjoy the cake. His fiance may be a jerk, but your friend is your friend. Don't let his sexuallity get in the way of seeing him start a brand new chapter in his life.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You need some new friends!

stormie92posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do I need new friends? I have straight friends. Gay friends. Lesbian friends. Bisexual friends. I'm friends with pretty much everyone at my school and people outside school too.

1. profile image0

Sometimes I can't pass an opportunity, I was teasing.smile

Ohh, haha ok! Sorryyyy, I've had a bad migrane all day today so I'm testy.

But to the girl who posted this: I agree with the person who said love is love... no matter what gender you are.

1. profile image0

Sorry about the pain in the head and me being a pain in the ass. Well we have both ends covered anyway!big_smile

Ha. So very true! Best friends forever now. tongue

2. profile image0
              Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you have a migrane stormie. I hope it goes away soon!

Thank you!!!

2. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will there be cake? If so, I'm in! lol

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I would attend a civil union not a marraige.

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

What's wrong with a gay wedding ?

What I don't understand is why your products which you promote on your profile are called
    Cheap Quality Products.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hehe

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Well, being gay is a pretty large part of who someone is.  If you are that troubled by what is such a tremendous piece of what defines that person, then you probably don't really like him as much as you seem to think you do.  Sounds like more of an acquaintance than a real friend.  Sounds like you both would be better off without each other.  Just ditch him and spare yourself having to suffer the discomfort of his un-sanctionable choices and stuff.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think this story is real.
      Coming from one promoting Cheap Quality Products as her own.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, still provides a nice venue for my particular brand of sarcasm, which I enjoy perpetrating even if it is ultimately just hollering into the emptiness.

lol

I love sarcasm. that's why I posted  your comment again

1. profile image0

Sarcasm? What's that? big_smile

lol
              Cheap Quality Products
              I love that !  lol

1. profile image0

lol Tantrum you calling me cheap? LMAO

lol
                  go to the OP profile
                  And you'll see what I'm talking about!
                  lol

1. profile image0

Darn i was hoping you were lol just kidding I'm not cheap. well unless if comes to my hubby then yea hehehe

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

You have to admit the paradoxical quality of Cheap Quality Products is fun.

I'm still laughing ! lol

2. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as it is an emptiness between two artificial breasts wink

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

That gives it so much more meaning when it goes like that.  I'm never sure what it means, but it just means so much more.

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I would go..it's not against my beliefs at all so i would happily attend a gay marriage. but it is your call not mine or anyone else's. but if you love your friend you would go.

6. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

i think basically what you should be asking yourself is how much of a friend this person is.  if they're just a mutual acquaintence, then just don't go and make up and excuse.  if they're like really close to you, then you have a decision to make.  look, nobody  here can tell you what to do as only you can do that.  my advice is get a sheet of paper and write down all the pros and cons about going.  then go from there.  you might find your fears and beliefs aren't as bad it seemed to keep you from attending or it might help you reaffirm your believes to allow you stick by them.  it's your choice.

7. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Sure, go, attend the "wedding".  Your position is well known to your friend and his "significant" other.  It should not be against your belief to support your friend by attending the wedding.  Now if you were officiating the wedding or getting hitched with your "significant" other of the same gender I would understand but you are not - you are just attending. 

On the other side of the token, though, he has no right to give you an ultimatum like that.  That puts you in an unnecessary position.  He should respect your feelings as well.

So - in a nutshell there needs to be some compromising on both sides or the friendship is null and void as it stands.  I would suggest sitting down with him, alone, and discuss the entire situation.  Agree to attend but stress the unfairness of his ultimatum.  If he continues to hold to the ultimatum you might want to strongly consider declining the attendance.

Just remember you both feel threatened only in different ways and different ends of the spectrum.  Mutual understanding and respect is needed here.  I feel for you but it is a new year and it is a perfect time to put our personal pride in check. 

Good luck!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advice. I would follow it if I were you, although I personally (although straight) have no problem with gay relations or marriages, but if I had your beliefs I would be inclined to take the route suggested above.

2. RecoverToday profile image83
      RecoverTodayposted 14 years ago

Of course I would. Why not?

3. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 14 years ago

I think you should stick to your "principles" (as convenient as they are for you as a heterosexual) and not attend the wedding. Your "friend" will have rid himself of someone who really isn't his friend.

4. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

Mamelody wrote: "...I don't agree with his lifestyle but I don't judge him either, I respect his choice."

Hi Mamelody -

No one "chooses" their sexual orientation. Heteros never "give in to temptation" to become gay because they have no interest in a gay lifestyle. Likewise, gays are born "prewired" for their sexual orientation.

Since 1995 it's been known that homosexuality in men is associated with an abnormality on the long arm of the X chromosome (Xq28). This has been verified several times since in other scientific studies. It's genetic. (Link below).

Whether you go to the wedding or not, know that he's like he is because he was created that way.

Good luck with your decision.

Respectfully, Will

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7581 … t=Abstract

5. Actioncameron profile image59
      Actioncameronposted 14 years ago

Thank you mamelody, now dress up nice and go and toast your friend and have a great time..Enjoy the wedding and keep a smile on that pretty face.

6. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Of course I would.It certainly would be a different experience for me but I would go. Doesn't matter if you are white, black, green, straight, gay, have an addiction, live on the streets,I'll be there anyway I can.
      For people who are christians, if you alienate any of these people how are you going to show them God's love anyway, that's what I thought it was all about.
      Yes please do go.

7. Mighty Mom profile image76
      Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

What kind of person issues ultimatims to bribe/force supposed "friends" to attend his wedding?
      To me, that sounds desperate and really ridiculous!
      The friend has issues.The friend knows you have issues with him and his partner. And apparently the gay partner has issues too. Oy!
      So what IS the real issue?
      Would your choice be any easier for you if you DID happen to like his partner? In other words, if this was a straight couple getting married and you didn't like the spouse, would you attend or not?
      It also sounds like the partner doesn't want you in a friendship with his man. Maybe you should use this as an excuse to bow out gracefully. Your friend has made HIS choice -- his partner. Sometimes friendships end.
      On the other side of the coin -- I can guarantee you the earth will not swallow you up and you won't get cooties if you do attend.
      Finally -- if you plan to continue being friends with any gay people in future, you might seriously want to check your judgment at the door. For the vast majority of gays, it's NOT a lifestyle, it's their life. They can't choose to be gay any more than you can choose to be straight.

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said MM did I ever tell you I think you are the bees knees.

8. Mighty Mom profile image76
      Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Ha ha, BP. Right back atcha!
      So wonderful to see you again!
      People continue to talk about you all the time here but I rarely see you anymore, dear.
      Hope you are well.
      I've said my peace (or is it piece?) here and now must head to work but will check back later.
      xoxo and keep the conversation flowing.

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know MM I miss those days. I bet raider misses us too. Oh we gave that big, muscly bloke a run for his money didn't we? Have a great day at work and do not fear, for BP is here!!!!! xo

9. MixtapeChick profile image59
      MixtapeChickposted 14 years ago

Haha, yes... I would go. But I'm a lesbian myself.. so that makes it easy for me.

You though.. I honestly don't think the ultimatum was such a good idea on his part. I don't think forcing someone to do anything on both sides is wrong. The only reason I would suggest you go, is that he is and has been your friend. Nothing more.

However, the ultimatum would really put me off if I were in your position.

10. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

would someone's who's gay attend your wedding?roll

1. MixtapeChick profile image59
        MixtapeChickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha, yes.

11. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

Perhaps this is a time for looking into yourself about how you think of your friends and value your relationships.

Nothing is either black or white.

Could this be a time for you to take a step into territory that is not comfortable for you, but territory that might offer you a new landscape further along in your life?

12. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Will their be food and will their be forks?

1. terced ojos profile image59
        terced ojosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL..."Good Wun"...big_smile

13. profile image0
      melikatalaposted 14 years ago

First and foremost, why is it NOT common sense that being gay is NOT a choice? I grimace each and every time I hear (or read) someone say that. Did you choose to be straight? No, you didn't. That's just how you're wired. To discriminate against someone's so-called lifestyle in that he or she is gay is to dismiss that person's inner being altogether, and that's wrong. Ignorance is to blame for this mentality; ignorance that stems from the inherent religious beliefs instilled in so many Americans.

I hate to sound preachy, but this is a topic of deep passion and personal interest to me. I think that it is wrong for your friend to stick you with an ultimatum, and I think it's worth telling him that. If you feel that your friendship is worth it, just be the bigger person. Be there for him, and be loving. If his current relationship blows up in his face one day, he'll know that he still has a friend in you.

14. salt profile image60
      saltposted 14 years ago

I would go to a gay wedding, although marriage is really just an extension of woman as chattel...

and about the personal things. If they were not gay would you go even if you didnt like the partner?

What would you regret most, not going and letting your friend down or going and feeling like a hypocrite because of your dislike of the partner.

Sometimes, no matter who, or how they think something appears, if you dont like the partner, maybe down the track, your friend will come to you and say sorry for pressuring you... if you do go on the other hand, you could have a good time.

If you see marriage as a celebration of the good things in a couples relationship, any relationship... then maybe it wouldnt be so challenging emotionally - sometimes, you just need to turn the question around abit to see what answers fit how you feel.

And I agree about ultimatums, .. they are not good .. if it was out of pure emotion maybe you know your friend well enought to forgive etc... but its still not a nice thing to do.

I would go to a gay wedding, but if I didnt want to go for other reasons which were personal, I wouldnt.

15. inspireyourspirit profile image57
      inspireyourspiritposted 14 years ago

I would attend a gay wedding!  First of all, I think gay marriage is fine.  Secondly, I bet the food would be amazing!

16. Beltane73 profile image78
      Beltane73posted 11 years ago

Attend it, perform the ceremony, you bet!

17. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

It all depend on if there is an open bar

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol Best answer yet!

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Greek One!   Where've you been?

....I'm wondering how the poster preceding you got to revive this thread.......

Every time I've thought of reviving an old thread,  a notification pops up about how it's an old thread and to think twice about bumping it,  or something to that effect.   
        Guess I'm just more cowed down by the powers-that-be than others are, huh?!  wink

Well, shucks, since it's now a moot point and it is revived,  I'm gonna say--------
        No, I would not attend a gay wedding.
        Just like I said three years ago when this thread was made.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)