WHY DO EARTHQUAKES HAPPEN

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Davidsonofjesie profile image61
    Davidsonofjesieposted 14 years ago

For many years now the earth has had quakes.but i dont think they happen to punnish us,but rather because of what happen in the garden of eden many thousands of years ago.{GENESIS 18:24-33}The fall of man is the reason for the earth quakes and not packs with the devil.At one time the earth and the universe was perfect and when man sinned and fell from grace they started to die,along with the earth and the universe it self.ANTROPLY states that there was a beginning to the universe and because of ageing there will be an end.And that is backed up by what JESUS said Heaven and earth will pass away but my word will never pass away.So the reason we have earth quakes is because the earth is getting old{because of the fall of man}so that means they could happen anywhere and we should be ready and right with the LORD!

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The soul is immortal ,it goes back to god .I agree with Jesus his words are timeless like god and will last till this earth spins.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow - you believers really are scared. Why on earth would you want to try and scare the normal people as well? Interesting hypothesis though. Complete garbage of course but what the hey - I am being all tolerant from now on.

Whatever floats your boat and makes your worthless existence bearable say I - Just try and keep the scare mongering down to a murmur.....

ANTROPLY is a new word for me as well. Perhaps you could tell me what that means?

Is it another religionist-only word like "convicted."?

Davidsonofjesieposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      2. Davidsonofjesie profile image61
    3. profile image50
      The Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter if you entertain mad fantasies about Haitian pacts with the devil or more socially acceptable mad fantasies about our having descended from two people who ate an apple that caused us to deserve whatever suffering comes...

...attempting to explain away something like this as just or good or meaningful is sickening.

4. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And what Entropy has to do with a belief ??

what does the 2nd law of thermodynamics inply only that there was a begining and there will be an ending as well!same thing JESUS said 2000 yrs. ago.heaven and earth will pass away but his word would never pass away.{matt.24}

5. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

god holds us accountable for Adam and Eves crimes does he? That's like saying if I commit a murder, all my future generations should be tried for that murder as well, without actually having committed it? Fantastic logic.

Who said it was a pact with the Devil?

I don't know who 'ANTROPLY' is, but saying something will begin and then end is just hedging your bets, and it isn't like anyone will be able to verify.

Cleverclogs, if we all die, earth can quite easily remain and Jesus's word die out smile

Earthquakes generally occur along faultlines, as this is where plates move and become stuck (except constructive margins) So they are more likely to occur most strongly around these areas. I suppose in theory they could hit pretty much everywhere...

However your paragraph was a ramble with little knowledge except a bible reference, which barely counts. It's like me trying to reference everything to Mr Men books, even when the situation has NOTHING to do with them at all.

6. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you ever think that since Adam and Eve are dead, we shouldn't really be punished for their mistakes? I mean, seriously, would you punish your dog because the last dog you had peed on the rug? I don't think so. This is exactly why I'm not a Christian.

1. tantrum profile image61

lol

That's one of the reasons I'm not a Christian either !
        lol

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Adam and Eve committed the origional sin. 
            That sin had babies  and we haven't ever quit committing that sin and much much more.       Go Figure???

7. Paul Wingert profile image62
      Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For those who didn’t make it past 6th grade, earthquakes are caused from shifts in the earth's crust, not from Eve getting conned into eating some fruit by a talking snake. The outcome of the garden story might have been different if Adam went to marriage counseling and stuck with his first wife, Lilith.  Lilith was too strong willed to take any crap from a talking reptile.

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Nice Fairy tale!
    So earthquakes happen because the Garden of Eden 'problem'

I would never had imagined ! hmm
    roll

lol

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have even heard that painful menstrual cramps are a result of The Garden of Eden Problem. I say we just blame everything we don't like on those 2 lunies in the garden roll

BTW why did god put the trees of life and knowledge in an easy to reach spot? I woulda thought the top of a impossible to climb cliff would have been better if we really were not supposed to sample the fruit, but what do I know? lol roll

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is always interesting to recognize when i can agree with everyone in a conversation...all are presenting points that are a part of the discussion...but as with the old story of the blind men and the elephant, unless one takes in the whole picture the answer will not be seen.

it is not so strange for our spiritual concepts to affect us physically, symbology is a very strong psychological concept. if a woman believes she is evil because of the Eden story, she will feel bad during her cycle because she may believe being a woman is evil...

if someone was told not to do something, and did it anyway, that is the point of free will choice, so that they can find out if their actions really did merit the consequences that were suggested would happen if they took  them    smile

1. kirstenblog profile image78

I do not believe that by being something you have no real control over and no choice about can ever make you evil. If it were possible it would not be by being a woman that one is evil, maybe by being a man wink lol tongue j/k
          My cramps are most likely a biological thing and not the result of eve being a dumb ass who ate forbidden fruit cursing everyone for all eternity roll

from a wholistic perspective, i choose to look into all aspects of my being to heal. I don't believe that we can 'divorce" our self from the aspects of our own being and expect to be ok.

Even if one does not believe in a particular "take" of a story, the centuries of that concept that have been passed down can have an impact on our life...and we must protect our self from that impact of the mass consciousness of that concept, by countering with love and self acceptance, for instance

2. evavolizza profile image58
      evavolizzaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is understandable to not believe.  However, why mock?  A simple reply of :"I disagree with you" suffices, but the obviousness of bitterness makes me wonder.  hmmmm?   Interesting.

Now, I myself, do not believe in  a literal Garden.  I do believe that over billions of years of evolution, God's ultimate creation evolved. MAN (WOMAN). The Garden to me is beautifully figurative language for saying:

1. Man was given Free Will.

2. Man screwed up.  He chose to fefy.

3. Now things are no longer perfect.

4. Man/woman is then Saved.

5  Thus,  hurricanes happen, Quakes happen because "stuff" happens in an imperfect world
          down here.

6.  Our rewards come after this world.

Ah, but back to my main point - why scoff?

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This has to rate as one of the stupidest attempts at introducing another religious post disguised as a question.
      If you do not know why earthquakes happen, then I would wonder what planet you are on! lol
      Your nasty little sky doesn't make them happen!

3. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Earthquakes happen because there are enormous things called tectonic plates (large pieces or chunks of the earth's crust and mantle). These plates expand and shift (kind of like breathing) due to changes in internal pressure of the earth. When they grind against one another, earthquakes happen.

Spiritual aspect and not science is what the topic is about.Everyone knows about tectonic plates it is not something new.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

roll 

and the move of the tectonic plates is what causes earthquakes.

still missing the point,i said it did not happen till the man kind fell into sin!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

Nonsense. Tectonic plates were moving long before man arrived.

Why are you even making these silly statements? Just looking for a fight like a good christian, I suppose.

Still do not know what ANTROPLY means.

look it up

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

I did. I cannot find it anywhere.

That is why I wondered what it meant or if it was another religionist made up word because I know you guys like to make up words or use new meanings of words to cause fights. wink

But - don't put yourself out.

antropy sorry not good at spelling

dernit miss spelled again but i found it entropy and it deals with the 2nd law of therodynamics

2. kerryg profile image85
                    kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Entropy?

2. aguasilver profile image70
              aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think he meant:

entropy
              Measure of a system's energy that is unavailable for work, or of the degree of a system's disorder. When heat is added to a system held at constant temperature, the change in entropy is related to the change in energy, the pressure, the temperature, and the change in volume. Its magnitude varies from zero to the total amount of energy in a system. The concept, first proposed in 1850 by the German physicist Rudolf Clausius (1822 – 1888), is sometimes presented as the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy increases during irreversible processes such as spontaneous mixing of hot and cold gases, uncontrolled expansion of a gas into a vacuum, and combustion of fuel.

but I'm sure you knew that anyway!

2. mohitmisra profile image60

Scientifically yes the collide and cause earthquakes.

we all know that,im just saying it never happen til the fall of man

1. kess profile image61
        kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There was no "fall of man", that is a false christian doctrine.

All things are ordered by God for the Good of all existence.

So true life is in absolute perfection.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

Just a thought but what if there was no "fall of man" ? What if things are the way they are because its what works? In science earth quakes and volcanos are vital for this planets ability to support life, they are destructive but also make life possible and are responsible for such things as our atmosphere which are somewhat helpful to most life forms. Could it maybe be that life and existence is just a cycle of creation and destruction to make room for new creation?

I dont believe in what if's

But you believe in fairy tales !
            lol

2. JBeadle profile image82
            JBeadleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, your too busy believing in whack!  Are you even serious?  You don't understand why earthquakes happen?  Seriously?  Is this some kind of joke?  Are you 10?  You need to spend some time at a science sight or Wiki even.  Google earthquakes.

What did the dinosaurs do to piss off God?  Why is God alwasy so pissy with you folks.  I really have a hard time following a diety that has anger management issues.  Doesn't seem very God-y.  Are you Brenda's son?

2. SparklingJewel profile image66

I believe that our thoughts, our consciousness, does affect, and even actually creates and sustains our environment. and when as a group, that mass consciousness can effect big changes in the earth...and as in all situations, the most vulnerable points are the first to be affected.

3. dyesebel10 profile image65
          dyesebel10posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it's a cycle.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

IT IS the WILL of the FAULT LINES

5. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

This earth was created from nothing and will return to nothing.

When you see all this catastrophe, it  just doing what was intended from the very begining nothing taking what belongs to it.

When Iron rust away are you worried and flustered?

All dust came from nothing and all things came from the dust.

Everything that came from dust will return to it for they were nothing to begin with.

All that will be saved from the earth, are those that are the Children of God.
    For they are of the seed of light at the begining.

When you come to that knowledge of truth then you can have peace within because, even those things which men perceive as evil are done for the Good. 

All those who are not born from the light are nothing and will return to it.

6. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 14 years ago

Earthquakes occur because of the moments of the plates on earth. The plates are constantly hitting and rubbing against each other because the earth is slowly cooling. Haiti happens to be sitting right on a fault line were two plates are hitting. When the pressure of one plate siding against the other builds up and reach a point where there is a sudden release of it, the two plates will move in opposite directions for several feet. As a result everything on each plate will move in the direction of the plate moment.

The plates are always in constant motion, but slightly. Also there is an earthquake everyday in the world somewhere. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is simply a geological activity and this occurs on Venus as well because it has a molten core just like earth.

7. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Anything  material that has a beginning has an end.
    So? what this has to do with earthquakes?. Religion, I mean

the old axiom "as above, so below"...the spiritual good and bad/yin and yang worlds are out-pictured in the material worlds...religious and philosophical stories are symbolic of human life interactions and vice-versa...if the consciousness of a mass group of people is not strong on peace and love, for instance, than peace and love will not be the main focus in their lives, governments or countries and the earth which ultimately is intimately intertwined and created or mis-created by that mass consciousness will "give" at her most vulnerable points-earthquakes

I can't believe you believe what you're saying !!
        all those babies dead or buried alive in mud and debris!

Hello?
        Is anybody there ?? (inside your head, I mean)

1. thekidandblue profile image61
          thekidandblueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is why I don't partake in these threads. It seems I'm missing out not being on them because everybody else is.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66

It is terrible that the thoughts and actions of those in charge creates the things that happen to the innocents...hello, simple logic of our spiritual connection with the earth...its not "God's" fault or the earth's fault...it is human fault, albeit ignorant and unintended...but misuse of one's power is misuse of one's power, and someone always pays the price, the most vulnerable always pay the price for humanity's inhumanity to humans

please, don't pretend to understand where I am coming from by saying I am bad or wrong or terrible, because that is not who I am...your perception of me is a reflection of you...not me

Where did I say you were bad, wrong or terrible ???
            It seems the one projecting is you !

I interpreted your statement of "hello, is anyone there (in your head)" as one of implication that I was bad, terrible or wrong...if you had some other implication, than I apologize for misreading you smile

Yes it was another implication.
                That you haven't given much thought to your statement.

on the contrary, I have given it too much thought...being in overload of the heavy heart for others in the tragedy, I reverted to logic instead of staying in compassion.

but I do believe everything I have said...it is up to humanity to change their ways to stop hurting the innocents...

like too many other people, when alone, it is hard to stay balanced in the face of tragedy...there is so much more I wish I could do...all I can do is write and pray, send money and help where I can...the only answer is to make these kinds of things go away by changing the depths of our being to one of greater love in action, and stop those that perpetuate their wrong choices by pointing out to them what we see and sharing perspectives with others in mutual support toward the goals of change. smile

Changing the depths of our beings is not going to make the fault lines shift, nor the plates stop their action.
                    It's Nature what we're talking about, Not A mythic God.
                    Get real !

2. Jane@CM profile image60
            Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My opinion, earthquakes and other natural disasters are not human's fault.  It nature - scientific.  Seriously, did a bunch of humans meet together for a few weeks and decide, oh, Haiti should get the next big one?

8. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

you are really shaken...

9. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

tectonic plates

10. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

earthquakes happen for very scientific reasons.  The pressure within the earths core, press upon the plates of stone that have cracks in them in various locations.  When the pressure builds up to a certain degree, something has to give, and the two sides of the stone plate shifts to let some of the pressure escape slipping one side one way and the other side the other way.  This results in an earthquake up here where we are.  It has nothing to do with God, punishment, or the garden of Eden.

11. profile image0
    Hikikomoriposted 14 years ago

Pat Robertson causes them.

tongue

12. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I don't know why I want to explain earthquakes in this way but somehow I kinda see it the same.

Imagine a sparrow sitting out on the ice covered small lake up in minnesota. In the spring as it begins to warm up this little sparrow begins to hear small cracking noises as the ice begins its warming up cycle.
       As spring arrives the noise of the Ice moving begins to become louder and more repetitious. As summer nears the noise is constant and occasionally rocks the feathers on this little sparrow.
       The sparrow stands up and begins to walk around.
       The large piece of ice falls out from under the sparrow.
       The other birds who had been watching the sparrow walking around believes that the sparrow caused the ice to fall apart.

Therefore should we kill all the sparrows in our neighborhood before it causes the ground to fall out from under us.

13. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

The only reference the bible makes to earthquakes that I can find right off the bat is that it says in the last days, there will be earthquakes, famines, and plagues, but these were given as signs to be watched for to mark the coming of christ, not as punishments to evil men.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)