Do You Read Mostly Fiction Or Nonfiction Books?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Do You Read Mostly Fiction Or Nonfiction Books?
    What Categories and why?

I always read Nonfiction books because to me life is more fascinating.

I read:
    True Crime..Since my Psychology classes I became interested in the minds of deviates. Our family went a long time without any occurrence, then after we experienced abductions, suicides and murders..I became even more interested in the minds of those who have no remorse.

How To: I like anything that teaches me how to do something because I like knowledge.

History: Anything that reveals the past to show me why we are as we are today.

Theology: Anything that gives the ideas of who people feel God is.

Science: To know truths about life.

2. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I read both types of books. Usually  more of non-fiction.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK but what categories?
      Why?

3. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I try to rotate. I read a fiction then a non-fiction. This way I can try to balance entertainment and still learn things.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What categories?
      Why?

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
        Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Non-fiction I like are typically military history or biography.

Fiction- well I like Stephen King, Dan Brown, and John Grisham the most. I mix it up with some random authors as well.

4. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

1. Technical/Howto/Science- My work involves in these three so i have to.

2. Politics- I hate politicians but i like reading about politics.

3. Theology- Being skeptical i read a lot about theism/myths/rituals etc etc.

4. social psychology- I like studying people and to digg more in social life i have gone through works of Daniel dannet, Carol Travis.

5. Biography- It is always interesting to know about successful people and how they achieved something.

Let me take pause here or else i'll go on and on..

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Nonfiction. I read the testaments of our lord: Old Testament, New Testament and The Book of Mormon. I read about fishing, hunting, mountain climbing, history, travel and current events.

6. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 14 years ago

The last "non-fiction" book I read was Crossing Over with John Edward. (It's his autobiography, I'm not inviting a debate about the show itself)

The very last fiction book I read for the first time was Richard Belzer's I'm Not A Cop.

I've been rereading all of my Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark-Hunter novels and I recently finished her sci-fi/romance novel Born of Fire.

7. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 14 years ago

I just wanted to add that the next book I'm tracking down is The Lovely Bones, before I see the movie.

8. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

The book with the most pictures.     wink

9. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I read a lot of non-fiction ...ans write alot of non-fiction also.

10. KingDrew profile image83
    KingDrewposted 14 years ago

I am non-fiction reader.  Mostly biographies and history.  Reading of the past fascinates me.  Plus, I feel like I'm learning something when I read these types of books.  A person can never know too much

11. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

In the past, mostly fiction. These days, mostly non-fiction, because it's easier to pick up and put down. I like to get absorbed in fiction, but it can be kind of hard to do with a three year old! Nonfiction topics are all over the place - lots of politics, gardening, science, history, environment/nature, sustainability, nutrition, and food policy, but really, anything that looks interesting.

12. garcilazoand profile image61
    garcilazoandposted 14 years ago

fiction. it takes me to another world...

13. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I read both regularly.

Lately I have been reading fiction books written 100 or more years ago, because I like the views they give on society and culture.  I am constantly amazed at what hasn't changed.

How Tos, in the areas of wood working, home decorating, counter tops, crafts, knitting, spinning, tanning and child training.  I also enjoy reading cookbooks.

Scientific and mathematical booklets are something else I peruse.

14. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Nonfiction, or historical fiction, or fiction in historical settings, or children's books.

15. cottontail profile image60
    cottontailposted 14 years ago

I used to read a lot of fiction - girly novels that were great for the beach!

Now, because of a bad breakup, I'm only reading non-fiction (mainly self help books) about healing your broken heart and learning to live happily as a single. In fact, that is the main focus of the hubs I have currently written which are reviews on those books.

16. Marie-Renee profile image79
    Marie-Reneeposted 14 years ago

I read both non-fiction and fiction although not as often as i would have liked nowadays...

For fiction, i love political thrillers, spy, mystery, international intrigues and though new is the scifi genre like those of gemmel, eddings and gaiman and the likes...

For non-fiction, history, DIY and self-improvement..

I have learned a lot from both fiction and non-fiction books

17. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

I love nonfiction because I love to learn facts.  Fiction bores me unless its on a movie screen.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Fluffy!

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
        Fluffymetalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello Faybe!! big_smile

I like fiction because it takes me away, but historical fiction is best. Then you have to research to figure out what was real and what was fiction. It's like a mystery. big_smile

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree about the nonfiction Fluff.  I love history and when I learn the real story and the details behind it, I am fascinated!  Maybe that's why Paul Harvey's rest of the story was so popular!

18. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Non-fiction: Psychology, Serial Killers, Foster Care, etc. I love true stories and getting a glance into someone else's life.

I also love reading books about Wicca, Paganism, and Witchcraft.

For fiction, I haven't read a fiction book since... I don't know when, but I used to love vampire books.

19. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I think the only book I have read since getting out of college has been a book on antiques...I was trying to learn more about some of the old stuff I have.

I just finished a book called A Time of Angels. It was supposed to be for kids, but it was so good. It was about World War I and the flu pandemic of 1918. It was a brilliant read and very realistic. It was based on all true events, and then the characters were composites of actual people who survived.

20. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Too many fiction writers are formulaistic.  There are very few that can actually take you from your chair to right inside the story.  The woman who wrote the Harry Potter stories was very adept at doing just that!

21. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Mostly fiction.  This may seem strange, but it seems often to be more "real" (and at least less boring) than nonfiction:

1. Fantasy.  Robert Jordan's series, The Wheel of Time, is my all time favorite.  I find parts of myself in all three of the central male characters.

2.  Crime.  James Patterson, for instance.  It's always the psychological traits of the characters that intrigue me, and Patterson is good with those.

3.  Historical.  I'll read this in nonfiction as well.  Rise and Fall of the Third Reich had a powerful impact in my life.

4.  Western.  Growing up in Montana, being "ranch raised and rodeo bred", this one's a natural.

There are others, but this post is long enough already.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)