Help! People are mad about my post! What do I do?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Three-Legged Dog profile image63
    Three-Legged Dogposted 14 years ago

A year ago, I wrote a hub about a young, aspiring musician that I happened to meet and watch.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Check-out-Carlos-Bertonatti

Apparently, this musician was recently arrested for DUI manslaughter/vehicular homicide, etc.  I learned about the arrest when someone commented on the hub.  (Obviously, he was arrested, people are googling his name, and my hub comes up.)

Some of the comments haven't been very pleasant.  A poster commented that I should remove the hub altogether.  I updated the hub to say that I obviously don't agree with or condone this guy's actions, but the hub was written about his music... before this incident. 

Do I leave the hub up or take it down? 

I'm entitled to my opinion, aren't I, just like the commenters are entitled to theirs.   Suggestions?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh dont bother about it, just post it as it is, no need for explanation, you talk about his music so, theres nothing wrong with it,

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup you`re entitled to your opinions as are those that post nasty comments. If it were me I`d leave the hub .

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's totally up to you, if you are willing and able to deal with the types of interactions the Hub is drawing.

4. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just delete their comments.  Dont take it to heart, people always let emotions rule their heads!  Some of the greatest talents of the world have had some sordid past... doesnt mean that they arent talented anymore! x

5. Sally's Trove profile image80
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd leave your Hub alone, except to remove the January update you added in bold.

Let posters say what they want to and address them one by one or not at all.

You are not this musician's keeper.

You need make no excuses for him or for yourself.

Let commenters knock themselves out.

Three-Legged Dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I added the update because there's no way of seeing or knowing (I don't think?) as an outside reader of when the hub was first written.  I see your point, though!!!

6. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes leave it up.

people are silly...

7. TheSituation profile image63
      TheSituationposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say that you leave the hub up.  Obsiously this is your option, but publicity is good for traffic AND you allready updated the hub to say you did not support this guys actions.

8. falcon64 profile image60
      falcon64posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ignore the bad comment...They cannot harm you.

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

If you feel like leaving it, leave it. You should always do what you want.
    Or do you care about what other people think of you ?
    It's your choice.

3. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Absolutely stand your ground on this. His music is a gift to the world, his recent actions are his own consequences for poor judgment and conduct on his part. To a lot of people, it's all or nothing, and so then that makes his music bad. It doesn't make it bad. After a while, the headlines will fade and what will be left is this guy trying to reconstruct his life and figure out how to do some good in the world. If you leave your hub up, you might be one of the turning points in his life, and in others.

You don't have to allow stupid, unkind, and vicious comments. If you've updated the hub and told the facts, that's enough.

I would also get rid of any hateful or stupid comments that you've allowed so far. It doesn't serve any good purpose, only allows the inflamed comments to continue.

4. charanjeet kaur profile image59
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

My suggestion would be to keep the hub up, people change it can be due to circumstances that sometimes you never have control. Listen to your inner feeling read the hub i think you have clearly stated about what you feel in the conclusion. Dont let harsh comments stop you. It is easy to maliciously comment under disguise let go of them.

5. Three-Legged Dog profile image63
    Three-Legged Dogposted 14 years ago

Thanks.  I kind of feel like if I'm allowing them to post their comments, then why shouldn't I leave the hub up?

I liked the guy's music.  Still do.  Do I agree with what he did? Absolutely not. 

It's just kind of funny to me that people obviously don't have better, more constructive ways to use their time... The hub was written a year ago; it's not as if I wrote the hub in his defense or to support him after his wrongdoing. 

They're two separate things!

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

True enough.  It's also worth remembering that you DON'T have to approve their comments.  If I get one that bugs me enough, I just delete the thing--sometimes with a comment of my own explaining why it was done, sometimes with no comment.  It's your page.

Oh, I deleted one, all right.  One that did nothing but bash me as a writer, saying that I didn't talk about the guy's music at all in the hub, and I was just a bored housewife charmed by his good looks, and how I would probably leave the hub up so that I could earn my pennies.

Sheesh.

I ended up deleting the comments capsule... So many people still commenting and bashing the musician, me, the hub, etc. 

So much negative energy...

And isn't there something more productive people could be doing? Geez.

Thanks for the help, folks. I've been on HP for over a year but haven't really posted in the forums until now.  I appreciate it!  smile

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Left you a comment. Gawd! there are some morons out there. It is not like you were complimenting his drink driving skills. big_smile

Thank you!!! I appreciate it.

The hub was written over a year ago and I never received a comment on it 'til this.. LOL!

7. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

LOL!
    I left a comments as well.

8. myownworld profile image75
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

It's his music that you admired and I don't see why his personal life issues should affect that. All the more reason, in fact, for supporting the good things in his life! smile

Thanks!  Like I said, I added an update that said the hub was written a year ago and that it was written with the intent to give my opinion on his musical career.... it has nothing to do with this incident!

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I say leave the Hub, delete the ugly comments, because they detract from your writing. Keep Hub positive. smile

10. BBCG profile image61
    BBCGposted 14 years ago

I'd definitely leave it up, and I'd leave the intelligent comments...The comments that are ugly with the intention of just being ugly I'd delete...

11. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Leave it up at least it gets a lot of traffic that way.

12. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Do what you want to do....

I wouldn't even worry bad press is better than none...at least people would come see what's gotten people's knickers in bunches

13. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Like Sa Toya said, there's no such thing as bad publicity right? 
    No telling how many people will check out your other Hubs because of this.

14. profile image52
    Michael Rogersposted 14 years ago

Have a little decency for the victim and his family, pull it down.

15. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Left a comment OI! ppl are dumb at times. I am sorry that ppl are being rude to your hub when you had written it BEFORE the accident AND stated thta in yuor hub too. leave it, delete their comments and ignore future stupid ppl comments. smile Oh by the way loved the teacher hub too!

Thank you!!! I'm just on here to write!  That's all I wanna do!  I don't get a whole lot of traffic, and that's fine, but this stuff - whoa.

2. Three-Legged Dog profile image63

Thank you for pointing out that it was a MUSIC hub and that you enjoyed reading about my EXPERIENCE at a CONCERT.  smile  LOL!

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Sometimes you have to spell it out for the slow people lol

16. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Leave it up.

Accept the comments, even the ones that you don't like. Let the visitors squabble amongst themselves.

Enjoy the traffic.

Speaking of traffic... The number of hits that hub has received since the weekend is insane.  I'm only halfway to payout, and not planning on getting there anytime soon, but according to adsense, I've made like 100 times what I'd normally make in one day today.

17. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

don't worry if people are mad, that's their response. some people are just mad at life. let them be. enjoy the increased views.

Thank you... I just saw that you are from the Tampa area! I went to school there.  Education, too!

18. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

Leave it up.

If we all listened to those with self righteous attitudes then there'd be no tv, radio,internet,newspapers and we'd all be living in the dark ages because someone didn't like anything adverse in their little world.

19. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Leave it! You wrote it in hopes of gaining traffic and you are getting that. Why question the reason for you success? Just enjoy that you have succeeded

1. Sally's Trove profile image80

Agreed.

20. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Do a sequel hub no doubt. smile

Carlos Bertonatti - 'Times Not So Good'?

Or..... Times WERE Good.  Past tense.

2. Sally's Trove profile image80

I agree.  There is much learned from this experience. So do a sequel Hub.  Meanwhile, let the original stand on its own.

21. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

You could always just dump the comment box entirely. It's a completely optional addition to hubs. If you don't want to deal with having to moderate comments and they are upsetting you, just kill the comment box. I'm sure they can all find some blog that will let 'em vent *g*

22. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Who cares, leave it up.  Are lots of people visiting it? Awesome.  Get some money.

23. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I agree why would you delete it since it's creating a lot of traffic for you.  Besides you're not promoting his violence.  I suggest you update your hub.  That way you can address what's been happening to this musician and create even more traffic to your hubs.

smile

24. Kapalbility02 profile image61
    Kapalbility02posted 14 years ago

Like what they always say in the media -- exposure whether negative or positive, is still exposure. Keep the hub.

25. Dangazzm profile image75
    Dangazzmposted 14 years ago

Don't let it get to you at all... I get hate for a LOT of my HUBs as well and they are about like top video games and stuff... they disagree rofl so they hit the hate mail button then leave

Then I calmly hit the spam and delete forever button and be done with it big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)