One of my least visited hubs - what's wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Edweirdo profile image86
    Edweirdoposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty new at this, so I can really only gauge my hubs' performance against one another!

This one is one of my earliest hubs, yet it has fewer views than ones that I've published just a few days ago.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Choose-T … k-Cookware

Granted, it's only been 3 weeks, but all my other hubs get much more traffic, as well as higher Hubscores. And since this is probably my most sales-focused hub, I would like to see some more eyeballs on the page!

I think the layout is good, the writing seems helpful (IMHO!) and the tags were pulled from Google's Adwords Keyword Tool, so I would expect better performance and Hubscore. At least that's been my experience on my other hubs - most of them get some traffic from search engines, but this one gets almost none.

Or is it just that this topic is overplayed on the InterWebs?
    Or am I being deluded by the performance of my other hubs?
    Or what?!

Any help is much appreciated!

1. yenajeon profile image70
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its not bad, have you backlinked it to alot of other sites?
      ie twitter, facebook, shetoldme, your blogs, your websites etc! smile

2. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Your hub is very similar to how I tend to put mine together.
    I like it - I don't see any problems, apart from some key words that are too general.

I'm interested to see the input you get. It will apply to me too, I think!

I'll be spying on this forum big_smile

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

3 weeks is way to early to make performance judgments

..the article is perfection ..you could optimize for adsense better by popping that top photo down a bit to the next text capsule

You can conquer "best non stick cookware" with a couple of strong backlinks and get high SERPs but I dont think just creating the hub and leaving it will ever make first page

4. Edweirdo profile image86
    Edweirdoposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the input !

@yenajeon - I have backlinked the hub to facebook, redgage, shetoldme, and my blog, same as my other hubs, but this one still doesn't get traffic.

@sunforged - "..the article is perfection" WOW Thanks ! I realize I'm not going to be first page after just three weeks, but I would at least expect traffic that is comparable to my other hubs.

I'll try some more backlinks - and some time! - and see what happens...

5. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Layout is good, however I would try and find a youtube video that is related to your product and also ad and RSS feed or News Feed below the comments section.  The RSS feed or News feed will help the page become more dynamic by changing or rotating content that the spiders crawl. This happens too with comments but I wouldn't expect too many comments on a product review and comments come too slow to show any real change to the page.

Also, make a simple addition to your image by first removing it then rename it on your computer with the keyword you are targeting then re-upload it in the same position and give the image a caption.  These are all picked up by the spiders and you will notice image searches in your traffic stats. 

You get very little real estate on hubs so take advantage of every pixel.

6. wyanjen profile image70

I read that when you upload an image, HubPages renames it.

True or false
    lol

I stopped naming my graphics with my keywords when I read that...
    smile

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HP does rename it but the image still retains its original value which is hidden to us.  I'll try to go find you an example.

7. livewithrichard profile image73

Do a Google image search for: "Snow Cones are delicious" and you will see my hub as the first image.  The words in quotes are the caption to the image I'm using.  So, the captions you use for images pull some real weight in the SERP's.

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
      The cat has a blue and purple tongue. cute

I'm struggling with this concept a little, because I have one hub that get quite a few views from Google Image, but I don't even have captions on the pics. Most of them are stock photos that I use in other places, so I don't have the keyword in the file names for the most part.

I'm reworking this hub a little bit because the KWs I do use are pretty bad. But, when I put them in, G Images does not return my pics.
      I'm going to add the KWs that are bringing up my images. smile

8. livewithrichard profile image73

Good idea but don't waste that caption space. The caption doesn't have to even be related to the image.

9. sunforged profile image70

usually a properly named image file is helpful for search but with hubs the file is renamed when you upload it...just right click and view image at any hub and youll see what i mean

so apparently its the caption that google picks up on..

@wyanjen

.if you have no captions at all MAYBE google is picking up on surrounding text

unless you used GA and checked what search strings brought traffic from GImages you cant tell why and if the stock names were the reason

10. wyanjen profile image70

(Pardon me, wandering off your topic Edweirdo)

I'm still fumbling with GA. I'm very sure I'm not doing it right lol
    My HP stats say for this period, I have 53 views (15 from G Images)

I googled "men's bras" and none of the images were from my hub. It was gruesome.
    I'm very confused about the 42 page views...

When I switch to "entrance sources", it shows
    images.google.com - keyword=(not set)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/wyanjen/Screenshot2010-02-07.gif

Edweirdoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@Richard - I added a video as you suggested - I already had an rss feed so I left it in. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Jen - I've also noticed strange entrance keywords in my GA stats - I think I read somewhere that if someone searches for a keyword, clicks on some site not related to you, and then finds a link on that site to you, that counts as an entrance keyword to your site, even though the path is indirect.
      Might be misremembering this, but it "feels" right wink

I can see where that would make sense.
        But 42 page views?

~sorry again for tagging along on your forum smile~

11. sunforged profile image70

@wyanjen-

Your right, I use a plug in on my WP sites that gives me a little extra functionality, i guess,( I never noticed this wasnt possible on hubs) when checking keywords for the referrer images.google.com under the hubpages.com site (not the individual page as you have in your posted image)...you can see every page that has traffic via images but alas keyword is "not set"

as for consistent non-related keywords, Do you have any referral to hubpages that gets a ouple of hundred hits a month to a mens bra related hubpage? it seems to me that sometimes my analytics id gets served just like adsense would on my referred hubbers

I have a friend who writes solely about cameras who i referred and sometimes I see related keywords in my GA stats..but its just a guess

I don't have any HP referrals.

I searched for "men's bras" my self a couple months ago - I was looking into how common they are for medical purposes.  Not very, is the answer.
      When I saw that key word show up in GA, I thought it was tracking my own search.

ummmm

Just now I looked back at it, and it actually IS me. They are all mac OS / Safari and from wyandotte (my ISP). Usually I'm using FireFox when I'm editing my hubs... but I'm on Safari right now...

so: it says from "men's bras" there were 42 page views, 28 unique. But I have only viewed that hub a couple times this month.
      Hub stats show total views at 56, 31 of them from HubPages.

Is there a cookie involved or something?

sunforged, you are awesome for helping out but I really need to study this up. I'm not sure I know enough to even be asking questions, if you know what I mean lol

12. sunforged profile image70

you are totally right that your own searches show up in GA, if you jump over to your hub soon after (i dont know how many sites have to be loaded in between) i just figured you know if you searched 42 times.

but 28 uniques? you would think they couldnt all be you.

i still learn new things in analytics everyday, if i figure out how this could be happening ill let you know!

13. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Wondering a bit further off topic here hmm
    But did ya'll know you can setup a filter in GA using your IP address so none of your views will skew your stats?

On the first main page of GA look near the bottom where it says "Filter ManagerĀ»" and click on that. Next click on "+ Add filter" then in the middle drop down box select "Traffic from the IP addresses" and enter your IP below. But if your IP changes often this will be of little help to you.

Personally I like to know what my real stats are without counting me in there. Sometimes I cause a lot of hits when working on a page/ hub.

14. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Tis a great Hub smile but ... too many tags about pots. Maybe use your title in there and preferably long tail keywords rather than one word, also add, how to, buying guide, kitchen accessories hmm just some thoughts. smile welcome to HubPages.

Edweirdoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dame Scribe(and everyone else who's contributed so far!)

I'll do some keyword/tag work and see if that helps...

And @nadp, I agree that you should start your own thread under this topic, or else no one will ever find your question big_smile

1. nadp profile image77
        nadpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Edweirdo (love the name!).  I'll follow your advice.

2. nadp profile image77
        nadpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the good advice and for taking the time.  I'll try your suggestions - they sound like good ideas.

15. nadp profile image77
    nadpposted 14 years ago

Hello.  I'm pretty new to this - just a couple of weeks.  So far I've been trying to get my feet wet with writing about subjects that I know and are on my mind.  I'd really like some suggestions about how to publish hubs that will generate some traffic.  Is my subject matter the reason that I've gotten so little traffic?
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out.  Here are the links to my hubs:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Be-Good-at-Mathematics

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-do-you-beco … th-teacher

http://hubpages.com/hub/Tribuet-to-Mom

16. wyanjen profile image70

Hi nadp
    It's always good to add pictures to a hub. There are many places to find stock copyright-free photos on-line. One that I recommend is dreamstime
    They have a big selection of free photos.

Regarding traffic, it takes work and patience. The issue is not the subject matter. People need to know you are here smile

I would recommend that you start a new forum for yourself - in EHM, like this one is - and post one of your hubs for critique. It's a great chance to introduce yourself.
    Folks will notice you more easily that way. In this one, you are stuck on at the end lol

In the meantime, search around HubPages for advice about key words. This is the first and most important step to gaining traffic.

Again, welcome and have fun smile

17. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

Quite a good example of a product hub. Perhaps your niche is wrong though - when I buy cookwear I like to go in the store and examine the merchandise! It's not really something I would buy online as I have no brand loyalty to a saucepan.

18. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think it's a great hub.  The product is cyclical, you'll probably find a lot more people looking for this stuff in the last quarter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)