Things I Have Learned About Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (61 posts)
  1. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

This one might need a sticky when I'm done, as I think what I'm about to share could help many hubbers - new and old alike ...

First off ... Where's all of the money? I hear this time and time again how some hubber wrote excellent articles and made nothing ... zilch ... nada. Hubpages is a ripoff, right?

Wrong!

First off, Hubpages isn't a site that pays you for your writing - the affiliates do. And if you aren't making money from the affiliates then they are to blame - not Hubpages!

And how does one make money from affiliates? By writing articles that appeals to things the affiliates can market. It goes without saying ... if the affiliates can't profit from your works here than neither shall you!

Oh, but I hear how certain articles make more money on Ask.com and Helium. Very true ... and those are sites based on offering info ... not for writing poems, stories, or nearly anything you like. Try publishing a non-fiction work on either of these sites and watch it get torn off the wall.

While we're on the subject of content, let's discuss how Hubpages marks hubs as substandard, promotional, or not allowed. Who are they to say what we can write?

Well, *they* are the owners, and they don't do it to show their godlike powers. They do it to keep us in favor with our affiliates.

Has anyone but me read the rules for Google adsense? I know some have, but the majority hasn't or no one would cry in their oatmeal over content.

Google has *very* strict rules over content on adsense pages and when we try to bend these rules we aren't just affecting ourselves - we're affecting everyone on this site.

How? Hubpages places Adsense ads on our pages (40% of the ads) and has ads on the right pane. These help pay the bills here. Now, if we get out of control and get Hubpages Adsense account banned guess what - no more Hubpages!

And so, they aren't being nazis - they are just abiding by the rules for Adsense (and Amazon, and Ebay, and Kontera).

Sure, Hubpages could turn a blind eye and let people do as they pleased, but once Google kills your account you're done - end of story. Don't believe me? Check out the forums here to see what has happened to several members who lost their Adsense here - when it's gone - it's gone!

I have my own site, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that Adsense tells you what you are allowed to write, where you can place your ads, and what kind of links and content they won't accept on your pages.

So, Hubpages isn't being prudish - they're only enforcing the rules enforced upon them by Adsense and the other affiliates.

Next topic ... The forums are filled with trolls!!

Well, there is some truth to this. I have seen where some hubbers will seem to bait others into arguments, but if you look below the surface you will find that these same hubbers are victimized elsewhere and are just passing on the sour milk they just received.

The political forums and the religious forums are a battleground, and much of what happens there spills out into the other forums, making for some discomfort for many.

My strong advice ...

1)  Don't post in the forums to seek out like-minded individuals. By that I mean, don't write something expecting everyone to agree with what you have to say. With over 131,000 people on-board, dissenting opinions will occur. It's natural!

2)  When you're having a bad hair day, walk away from the keyboard. Trust me, it's not self-therapy when you go off on someone, just because things didn't go well in the real world. Just go off and drink a cup of coffee, stave off the poison, and return when your mind is in a better state - it prevents the need for apologies, which many can't bring themselves to deliver, for fear of saying they were wrong for logging on when they should have been stressing offline instead.

3)  The forum has *no* text to speech capabilities, so don't expect people to automatically *get* what you are saying. So many arguments start here because person A said something, and then person B misunderstood and went off on a tangent.

4)  Everyone has a right to an opinion - no one has a right to verbally assault one another. There are laws against this which revolve around slander, and yes, I have heard of people being sued over what has been said over the internet - as well as websites being taken down for refusing to remove the slander that was being spread. It's okay to disagree, it's okay to tell someone they are wrong - but it's not okay to go overboard and assassinate the character of the person behind the words.

5)  The forums exist for people to interact and people do this in many different ways. What some consider inane babble others consider cordial chit-chat. As such, be tolerant of those who came here to have fun and be tolerant of those who are looking to have meaningful conversations.

And finally, I have heard that Hubpages sucks!!

Really?

Well, if that's the truth then I want my website to suck as well, so I can be more successful outside of Hubpages. For you see, I have learned a lot from Hubpages and I am currently using my own site to write articles which I feel wouldn't be a good fit here. *that's right, I actually scoped out this site to see what works here, so I know what I can write about here and make a profit from - as I use this site to monetize my other ambitions.*

I have my little Google plugin watching my earnings right now, and I just made some more cash. So, Hubpages doesn't suck, provided you take the time to understand how to make it work for you.

Many hubbers have worked hard to provide info that will definitely work, if given a chance: Mark Knowles, Relache, Sunforged, myself, Nelle, Darky and others I have forgotten to mention (sorry, I can't remember every helpful name, but I didn't omit anyone to slight them).

I haven't made a dime off of any of the articles I have written to help others, nor have the others to my knowledge. So, why do we do it? Come up with your best conspiracy theory you want and then I'll bring you to the real truth ...

Ready for the awful truth? Because we love this community and want to give something back. Believe me ... These people slaved over these articles for a reason - to help you learn the easy way what we all learned the hard way.

And I did hear someone recently say that making money on Hubpages is a lot of hard work. Well, guess what? Any writing you do for money is a lot of hard work. Ask anyone who writes articles for a newspaper how hard they work. Ask anyone who writes novels how hard they work. Ask anyone who writes scripts for TV shows how hard they work.

Writing is a difficult profession that takes a lot of dedication and time to hone to perfection. If you came here because you had a dream that writing was a profession where you could make a million dollars by writing anything that came to mind then you were sold a lie ... and I do offer my open apologies to those who were duped by the unscrupulous banter of *make money quick* schemers who sold you this lie to get you to click on one of their ads.

There is no quick money in writing - none. *However* for someone who is willing to endure the 'trial by fire' there is a definite income that grows over time. And if you work hard and stay true to your path - you will experience success - no million dollars, but enough to pay some bills.

And for my final topic, I will speak of those who left ...

We argued with them to stay. We wept when they said goodbye. Then we felt betrayed when they never returned.

How callous are we that we could ever feel the need to contain people where they obviously didn't want to be?

Hubpages doesn't work for some people, and I understand and respect that (at least I do now - a admittedly didn't back then). If someone wants to leave, offer them your blessing and know that they might someday return. By weeping over them as if they were passing on, we make it all the more difficult for them to ever return, should they decide to do so.

I don't know how you all feel about me, but I know how I feel about all of you. You're my extended family - all of you - without exception. And I have no favorites as I don't play that line. So if you don't see me coming to wag my tail when your in a pickle with another hubber it's not that I don't love you, it's that I respect your ability to fight your own battles and I know you'll prevail if given the opportunity to do so.

So, having said all of that ... I would like to give a fine welcome to all of our new members, a pleasant howdy to all of our older members, and an olive branch to anyone I might have offended with this message, as it isn't my intent to cross anyone with what I had to say. I merely wrote this to express some feelings I have had about the site for some time, in the hopes that it might spark a renaissance where we could all see things differently, through better eyes.

And the last thing I want to say (I promise) is that there are those who write here for the love - not the money. And these people should not be seen as any less than our other members. While they might not make any money doing it, that doesn't make them any less in our community. In fact, they add to the community by giving us all something to read that was written only for the premise of our own enjoyment. Now, I don't know about you ... but I like these articles, as they often offer me a break from the woes that life throws at me. So, keep writing them!

Okay, enough from me as I've wasted another 20 minutes of everyone's lives with another long post (sorry, I just get caught up in things sometimes) ... I'm interested in what others have to say. smile

1. Preethi Anusha profile image68
      Preethi Anushaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was a sure eye-opener at least  for a newbie like me .. And its for sure that these 20 mins were put to some use ... u need nt be sorry .. thanks for the post .. good I read this b4 xpecting something I shud nt  frm HP .

Like Cagsil said , this one cud make a successful hub tongue

2. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What you've written in your post is all true. The quote above was my favorite part. Hubpages has become my online home and I value the community here a great deal as well - including you smile You always seem to have a wise word to say and a lovely balanced view of things. Thanks smile

3. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't write for money,just to defrag my mind and get my attention off of super high stress decision making.
      I had No Idea we were considered second class citizens by other Hubbers!
      Now I understand why I'm usually ignored...Wow...

yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Second class? Not on my shift ... and that goes for the other hubbers here. You're all a-one! smile

4. hemaprabha profile image55
      hemaprabhaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey

you write rather well....just from the heart...

Kept reading   till i reached the last....

Wow!......

.what you wrote was right from inside the   arena.......good going ..keep writing

was a store house of viewpoint for a fresher like me   :-)

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Yoshi, this is probably the finest, most accurate, and thorough post I've seen to date in the Forums.  I'd add to it, but there's nothing to add.  A sincere salute to you! big_smile

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Yoshi, that's a lot to say. lol lol lol

Maybe you should hub it? wink tongue

Just joking. smile Nice long post. smile big_smile lol

4. yoshi97 profile image55

Thanks Ghost and Cags.

I thought long and hard about posting it as I could hear in the back of my head 'ah yes ... another rant from Yoshi'. But I feel better now that I let it all out and I hope it helps other people feel better too, as I can't be the only one frustrated by all of this. smile

5. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Here Here!  Well said.

I hope in time I will be able to write articles that will make money, but I started off with what I had and what I came up with.  As for getting along with others, I know I'm super-sensitive so I've learned to take a deep breath before responding to anything negative - even something written online!  That way I don't make a fool of myself over something trivial, yet am able (not always) to respond appropriately to face to face situations.  In fact, right now I am formulating a response to what I consider to be an insensitive remark but I want to respond in a way that wont be misunderstood.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rafini,

Your remark is great and welcome to hubpages!! Write, and never be afraid to ask questions one of us around here will certainly help you out, you will make money patience and advice is the key to success. smile

6. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Yoshi I read every word!!! I commend you on this normally when they are that long I always try to rush through them, I have learned a lot about hubpages and that is why I to am still here!! (( Big Hugs))) big_smile

I make money to without any complaints there are so many people who would give great advice or just take a look at there hubs they tell you how to do it. smile

7. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Hey, you dropped my frustration level down so far, I'm actually going to set the laptop aside for a minute, throw together a banana split, and fire up the fire under the coffee!! big_smile

8. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Yoshi, that's simply brilliant...  All true.  It definitely does need a sticky.  Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

9. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Thank you Yoshi.

10. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

REPORTED!

For being a thread instead of a hub big_smile

It really should be published as a hub. It deserves to be a hub.

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that. And it covered a lot of things that are going on these days here.

2. yoshi97 profile image55

Doh! Busted by Darky! haha!

I kept it as a thread as I felt it might get ignored as a hub, but if everyone sees it as good hub material, I'll oblige. smile

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree it should be a hub, yoshi.  I thought that the minute I started reading it.  Oblige us...

2. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please do oblige, yoshi. I'm not sure ignored is the right word - I'd go with "overlooked in a sea of hubs".

Thanks for the post (and the upcoming hub?)
        big_smile

The hub is online - I love copy and paste. smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read it here Yoshi, it's all true and accurate to me after being here for 18 months, that about sums it up for me too. A great place to write, a great place for fun writing and a great place to make adsense income. smile

1. markasuncion profile image57
              markasuncionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you mean we can earn some bucks in here while writing...I sell a lot of amazon stuffs...can I promote them here too?

Yep ... You can use your Amazon affiliate code here with the Amazon capsule in your hubs to pan for some gold ... or perhaps some nuggets that might have some worth. If you're already selling with Amazon you know how it can be hit or miss. smile

3. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the very least I won't suffer RSI for all the scrolling I'll have to do when people quote your original post. wink

3. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  Should have mentioned that, but I was way too lazy....big_smile

11. yoshi97 profile image55

Okay, I made a hub of it. smile

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is wonderful!!! I had better go to sleep goodnite to all and I will see many when I wake up! Happy Valentine's day! smile

No ... You must stay here with me all night. smile (just kidding ... have a good night's rest)

12. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

I am new to this place. I have come here to share my feelings with others through my hubs. Although I don't deny that it would make me happy if I get some extra money from this. But that is certainly not my primary purpose. I had a dream to be a writer from my childhood! That dream somehow never came true. But now at least I can view my writings are published, whatever may be the media, I am getting at least some readers and they are giving their valuable comments also!
    I am really grateful to hub pages!

Glad to have ya aboard, Cupid. smile

13. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Great post yoshi! Wish I'd had something like this to read when I started, but I've managed to stay mostly above the fray and learn from the others.  I said mostly above the fray...hey nobody's perfect, right? hmm lol

Yeppers ... nobody's perfect, but we do what we can to get be, eh? smile

14. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Thank you for this Yoshi. No one could have summed it up more perfectly. I agree with each and every word here, esp. what you write about the forums..the 'unspoken' rules. Not just helpful for the newbies, but lots of us need a reminder too from time to time. And btw. I personally feel more posts like these are desperately needed in the forums, so thanks for taking the time and energy to write this. smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I mis spoke in a forum and just went back and deleted it, should I apologize for the momentary lapse in judgement in case anyone read it?

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

did you directly address someone? If not, then let it go.... smile

(good that you thought about it....that's the most important thing really...)

1. drej2522 profile image68
          drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

get 'em tiger...(winks)...how goes it MOW?

15. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I love HubPages.  I have learned I had no concept of how I was perceived versus me over thinking too much.  Probably another lesson.  I learned people can hurt your feelings to a point no one will ever be aware, regardless right or wrong, justified or not.  I learned sharing openly is a childless act to open yourself up to hurtful judgement.  I learned things coming flying at you from no where and you can't find your voice suddenly disappears and I learned therefore your laughed at.

I learned great lessons.  Sad, but that's my problem and will now in my honesty of what I have learned, will be accused of being a drama queen or seeking attention.

I learned there are many that read your work and care enough to spend the time to comment.  I learned people also have the ability to leave a message causing you to question your whole hub.

I learned laughter, friendship, fun, challenge, a professional and creative writing site lives here, if you are wanted.

Sorry if I sound down,  I am not ashamed to admit how much I have been belittled and hurt lately, asked to leave the forums for good.  So I am nervous to post this but hope its early enough no one will see it.

I learned the most from HubPages dreams can come true, your passion is attainable, such self esteem can be built on the challenge of continuing to do better.  Lastly that HP gives their writers the room to create with little interference - unheard of.

I am lucky to have been here.  Thank you Yoshi and HubPages.

You consider yourself lucky to have been here ... I, for one, consider myself lucky you're still here. smile

Our lives were both hell growing up (your addictions and the abuse I received as a child), but we are survivors, and there comes a time we must shed the angst of the past to live on in the present.

As I have learned here, there are few of us who grew up privileged and even fewer who felt their younger years were of comfort and always under control. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that we blossom in the spring like the flowers, with each day a new chance to do things for others we might have wished done for ourselves in the past.

Every day is a new page in a book, where the ink is the tears and joys we allow to fall onto the paper. To that end, we must always be thankful, that each day the ink has been renewed, allowing us to write another page.

The past is there to remind us of how far we have walked and the future stands before us to remind us of how far we have yet to go. As such, I chose to keep walking forward, only looking back when I need a reminder of how far I have walked. Beyond that, I keep my head pointed forward, taking in the sunshine that seeks to press back the clouded days of the past.

For anyone who has suffered cruelty in their past ... remember ... you are not there anymore, as you have walked forward from that spot. Stop looking back ... turn your head forward ... seek the rainbow ahead and you shall find the steps become easier as you keep moving on. smile

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(just want to get in a hug to you and Lyr both...don't let the negativity overshadow anything....these beautiful words show there is so much 'good' here still!) smile

2. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yoshi,

fine

are you happy now?

pleased with yourself?

How dare you

How dare you when I thought I could no more

fall deeper in love with you.  You do it again

and the deeper i love

Now what the hell am I to dO?

Thanks babe.  Your a kind soul who I have referred to you as and never told you this but back in the day you would have no doubt been a wagon master my friend.

Ah bajeezus you would have done it then too, wooed me somehow.

I love you my rock,

Bless Kimberly

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know what these days your avatars features some of the best faces ya know. Ok, i'll be reading your post now tongue

16. yoshi97 profile image55

Thanks MOW, I hugz ya back. smile

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that was pretty honest!  Well done - I wish I had this to have referred to when I first started.  I made some god forsaken mistakes here and have learned lessons hard. 

DS is right, this needs to be a hub... an intro to the realities of hubpages.

Thanks...

Spread the love! xx

17. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

tongue

18. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Yoshi, you're a superstar! This is a fantastic, wise post.

It's early days for me. I have neither sufficient hubs nor sufficient experience to be earning here yet. I know it will be a steep learning curve to do so and that it is up to me to read and understand all the helpful information provided by successful hubbers. If I do succeed, it will be in no small part due to their generosity in taking the time to make this information available. If I do not succeed, the fault will be mine not theirs.

I choose to participate in the forums. I can decide to wade into certain threads after donning a flameproof suit, or I can decide to avoid them entirely. I appreciate the freedom of speech we are allowed here. Reading things that make me annoyed or upset is part of that freedom, and I have the freedom to respond or to walk away from the topic with my mouth closed.

19. profile image0
    TattoGuyposted 14 years ago

I have learnt so much from Hubpages, and from so many people that share the secrets of their sucess which in all honesty they could have kept to themselves.

I also joined Hubpages at a bad period in my life and found that self pity and drowning your woes in alcohol is not the way to go. People do run Hubpages down but for how big it is the staff are great, you can make a great monthly income and the people are great, and I mean everyone by that.

Great thread Yoshi and I agree about the extented family as well, when logging on I think ya gotta realise each and everyone of us are different. Yeah some peeps annoy the hell out of me but same applies with me but once I log off and log back on the next day tis forgotten, well in my case anyways.

Enjoy Valentines Day and please don't feel sorry for me sitting alone, no partner, no friends, not 1 card and jeez even my dog ran away smile

You're never alone, mate ... we're always here. And while we are no substitute for flesh and blood, we aren't machines either. We're pumping hearts behind keyboards, willing to talk over anything that might ail each other as well as offer hope that things in real life could only get better. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

these posts are what makes coming to the forums worth it every now and then.  thanks guys for such heart and encouragement.   TG, hope your dog comes back, they usually do.   smile

2. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably one of the best, brutally honest, yet ultimately uplifting posts I've seen in the last 24 hours.

20. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Hey Tattoo, I won't be doing anything for Valentine's Day either smile And least I have my cat.

And, I always consider this day an artificial holiday anyway, just one to sell more cards, candy, flowers and jewelry.

1. profile image0
      TattoGuyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree UW, twas like a friend of mine, his wife told him she wanted something with diamonds in it for Valentines Day, he bought her a deck of cards smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is he still alive???

21. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Wonderful thread Yoshi, so glad you took the time to write it. I shall keep entertaining anyone who wants to read my free stuff. I make no money and have no beef with HP or any hubber. Love it here.

22. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I love it here. Before I was told about this site all my writing has been hidden in notebooks. The only thing I ever shared was in what I have turned into songs and performed which is a small percentage. I am my own worst critic and have always felt that what I write isn't really any good and nobody would like it. From sharing on here I have had some remarkable comments from people here that are helping me to have a little (still very little hmm )confidence. When I write it is all true and comes directly from my own experiences. I never felt that I have any talent and have a bad habit of thinking that my writing is nothing special. I am grateful to Hubpages for this site and the wonderful people I have and am connecting with. I don't do it for money so that aspect doesn't bother me. I love it here and will continue to share and love what others read as well. To Hubpages and all of you, SALUTE!!!!!! Thanks for this thread Yoshi.

Namaste   smile

23. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have learnt that hubpages is robust. It has the best most supportive management I have been able to locate, and I have been online since the Internet started.
    The management is key to attracting writers on any subject you can imagine, by making the platform wide and deep, providing all the SEO tools right on the page.
    If you want to make money out of article writing, apart from having a very successful blog, and there are not that many, hubpages is a great place to earn an income that can and does grow.
    Some apparently non commercial hubs do really well here and that is surprising to me. Some of my non commercial hubs have performed very well.
    By allowing hubbers to use more than one identity we can separate our need to communicate ideas and hubs made just to help other hubbers from our commercial hubs thus making both easier to manage and locate.
    It is a tight ship in my view, underwritten by a community spirit that is second to none!
    Congratulations to hubpages and hubbers!

24. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Brilliant post Yoshi and I agree it should be a hub!  Inspirational, honest, thoughtful!

25. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

That's a nice thread Yoshi, thanks for putting it up. Even though I never read posts of such a length, I did read yours, and I agree to it smile

26. creativeone59 profile image69
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

Yoshi, thanks for a great post and thanks for caring. Godspeed. creatikveone59

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)