Can you have too many words in a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (48 posts)
  1. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

I know more the words the better...but can you have too many words in a hub?

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The important question is, "Do the numbers of words I use convey my meaning?"

600 to 1,000 words are a good goal to set. But all of those words need to make your point.

Do you have something of value to say? If you do, you can convey it in those numbers.  If you have nothing original to offer, then it doesn't matter whether you publish 100 or 1,000 words.

If you feel you have too many words, then maybe you need to think about breaking up your ideas into a number of Hubs.

Hope that helps.

2. yenajeon profile image70
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Personally, I like to read through lots of different hubs so when I see a very, very long block of over 1000 words of text, its intimidating so I usually move on! sad

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

They say about 400-800 words is the normal range, so if you have say 1,600 words you will typically be better off splitting them into two and then linking them together. The longer the hubs, the more important with images and other enhancements to keep your readers interested. Hopefully this helps.

You are right about the longer the Hubs, the more important images and other enhancements to keep the reader interested. It's a balancing act.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I read something for information, I like to get full details on the subject in question. Unless it is a poem, humorous interlude, short recipe, quick definition of a concept or very superficial summary with exhaustive links and references to proper information, an article of 400-600 words or so leaves me feeling cheated and dissatisfied and I am unlikely to read anything else by that author in future. 

I know that I am not typical of the average Internet reader. I was brought up in an era where information providers catered to the literate rather than to the illiterate. Unfortunately, the latter now seem to be in the majority and writers everywhere prostitute themselves to cater to such an audience.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are making some good points, and some of the most succesful hubbers do recommend longer hubs than what I quoted. The original poster may want to research the issue further, but I still believe that there is an upper limit before a hub gets too long.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Somehow I always thought that talented writers use less words to get their message across. I know this is not typical for an Internet writer though smile

1. WriteAngled profile image74

Hi Misha,

Conciseness is a virtue, I agree. I got by successfully with a PhD thesis of 120 pages, when contemporaries in the same field were producing well over 200 pages. However, limited word total at the expense of fullness of information is wrong.

My problem is that people seem to think 500 words or should be sufficient to treat a complex or large-scale topic. For example, another (awful) writing site I know suggests its raters should penalise articles that go over 400-500 words. However, it then goes on to suggest article titles such as "Introduction to the Solar System". Hmmm, that leaves only 50 words or so per planet, with no extra left to cover other phenomena.

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL You sounded so righteous I could not resist to pull a little fun at you smile

And yeah, it makes sense of course to use as many words you need to cover the subject - unless you are writing something designed to make money, as Richard perfectly explained smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
              Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is the beauty of Hubpages - there is room for many approaches, from the wonderful conciseness of Richard and Nelle, to the longer tales from CJStone and CindyVine.

I tend to go for 1000 - 1500 words because that is ideal for 'portfolio projects,' although it is not set in stone.

Like WriteAngled, I prefer to read longer Hubs, but that is purely a personal preference. smile

2. WriteAngled profile image74

I'm an intellectual snob and proud of it! big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

I write for a site that imposes wordcount minimums and maximums to write something meaningful about the titles they give you.

First, the titles they give you are often faulty, as they are based on keyword searches with no context behind them. So, "How to paint walls" could mean anything from painting murals to painting bedrooms to painting 500,000 square feet of industrial space.

As a writer, you are in the not so enviable position of teasing out the context when you write for sites like these.

"Introduction to the Solar System" does not need to explain anything about the planets that orbit our sun.  Instead, the focus in 500 words could be on the history of how we came to understand our solar system (like, once we thought the world was flat).

Use your critical thinking skills to tease out these sometimes ridiculous requirements from writing sites and then decide if you want to work there for slave wages or do something more productive with your time. (I share that decision making process with you.)

2. livewithrichard profile image73
          livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Plus, it depends on the type of writing you are doing.  If you're doing product reviews or trying to optimize for Adsense then you don't want to "give away the farm," so to speak.  You wan to give just enough information for the reader to click through your affiliate link, or an Adsense link to leave your hub.

For other types of writing not specifically targeted to be commercial, then write as much as it takes to make your point or tell your story.

This is valuable advice. You need to structure your Hub to achieve your purpose.

3. profile image0
          Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So much for War and Peace! lol

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0
              Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey there!

2. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol That redhead must be treating you well Ghost! lol

3. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's where I like to leave things.  Great advice.

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

oooohhhh  I need to remember this.  When I start writing I don't pay attention to how many words I use.  Thanks for the info!

4. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Good size for hubs is between 800-1200 words. I personally have several that are well over that amount.

Several of my hubs break 2000-3000 words. I've even a couple of hubs over 4000 words. smile

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I typically am like you Cagsil though I should look at editing more than 1 or 2 times in each hub, I don't want to lose the readers attention big_smile

2. easyspeak profile image67
      easyspeakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cagsil, do you hubs over 2000 fair better or worse in the search engines?

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't actually know. Haven't bothered to check. smile

However, I do have pretty good traffic to all my hubs. I just recently broke 20,000 views, without being back linking to anywhere. I know a couple people have shared my writing with others.

I do get a lot of traffic from Google and Yahoo search.

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

It depends on what you have to say, and how well you say it.  Too short will get its score dinged by HP.  The rest is entirely dependent upon style and content.

6. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

I often worry about having too many words in my hubs

7. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

If you look at numbers of words as they are related to marketing, including meeting some kind of standard for what a Hub ought to be, that's one thing. If you look at the numbers in terms of getting your meaning across, that's another.

As I said, it's a balancing act. Write an original Hub to give the reader valuable information, and do it according to HP's and Google's standards.  That's pretty much it.

8. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I tend to aim for between 1000 & 2000, but if it becomes too hard to write on one particular subject for more than 500 I leave it at that.

9. Edweirdo profile image85
    Edweirdoposted 14 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a hub of travel tips that ended up at over 2,400 words! I thought that I should probably break it up into 2 hubs, but it's a "Top 10 List" sort of hub so I decided against splitting it.

Then last week I got nominated for a HubNugget for that hub, and the traffic for it has skyrocketed over the past week!

I think if I'd split it up it would not have made the HubNugget cut and would just be sitting there.

I did split another travel hub of mine into two parts, and the first part gets all the traffic, so I probably should have kept that as one hub, too...

So in all I'd say if it takes more than 2,000 words to say what you want to say, then so be it!

10. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I go for the 'less is more' route, myself.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A fine route it is!

11. Alota profile image61
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

I have read some great Hubs already, I am no expert (understatement) but I think that I enjoy the shorter more interesting hubs the best....lyrics, tantrum, prettydarkhorse, tatto Guy, Hokey, justine76, too many to mention, pics are also great, I think interesting but short for me.

12. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I believe Sally's Trove summed it up well with "The important question is, "Do the numbers of words I use convey my meaning?""

13. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

for me yes to long i aint reading the whole thing

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Feel free to read mine then. It won't take a minute!

14. DanPowers profile image48
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I think 1500 words is the limit - more than that and it's worth using the text for 2+ hubs. 1500+ words is boring to read online as well, even if the subject is interesting.

15. codehub profile image58
    codehubposted 14 years ago

I think its best to be concise, and maybe spread a big topic over several hubs or pages

16. gm0nk3y profile image59
    gm0nk3yposted 14 years ago

I personally like to keep words around 500-700. Speaking myself, if I see an article that is too long, I might just hit the back button or skim through the whole article.

17. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

The length of a hub does seem to be important. At this point I have about 500 hubs, but all of them are less than 1 year old -many quite a bit less. Therefore I don't think this is a statistically valid sample yet. And a lot of my hubs are seasonal, which affects trend analysis.

I have designed and run a mathematical model looking at length of hub, keyword placement and density, traffic, and estimated sales. (Sometimes it's hard to know what hub to attribute a sale too.) Any simulation model has it's faults but I try to get the clearest possible picture, so I don't waste my efforts.

At this point the longer product hubs are more stable in attracting google traffic AND Yahoo and Bing. But it also appears that shorter hubs might actually generate more sales per 1,000 visits.

So I don't think there is a clear answer to which is better.

I'm reading psychology studies now about how the number of choices you give a person affects their ability to choose.

1. WriteAngled profile image74

I must admit that I have walked out of shops without buying because I couldn't cope with the huge number of products to choose between.

18. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I am actually pretty intrigued as to if you can prove your results with Hubs that match up to them Nelle, you should write a Hub when you have done a few and tell us if it goes to plan, without revealing your trade secrets of course tongue

19. profile image0

I don't know if statistcal modeling is provable and it will take years of data points with a lot more hubs. I've got a lot more playing around to do.

I'm also using my other websites and webpages as well. So it's not just Hubs included in the model.

There's this balance of what it takes to attract traffic on a consistent basis and what it takes to make a sale that fascinates me.

20. profile image0

WriteAngled that's it exactly. It's also the way the store is arranged and how they present the products to you. And we have to think the same way when we design hubs.

21. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

My hubs with the most words bring more traffic..

22. Jumpness profile image60
    Jumpnessposted 14 years ago

I am very straight forward and as simple as possible. I like as little words as possible. I hate when things are repeated, but using different words. My blogs are always short and to the point.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blog are not Hubs. There are differences between Blogs and Hubs.

Creating Hubs that are like blogs, will get you penalized and won't do well.

Just a thought. smile

Edit: I would suggest that you go the Extreme Hub Makeover forum and post your 4 links. You could benefit from advice. Just looking at your Hubs....you surely could use it. smile

Just trying to be helpful. smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/23

Above is the link to that forum. smile

23. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I think it depends why someone picks up on a hub.

Suppose I'm thinking of buying a green widget. A hub that says, "look, here are the best three green widgets of all" is going to be helpful to me if I feel I can trust the author's judgement.

A hub that shows me one or two each of the lowest priced, medium priced and highest priced green widgets and explains what might be gained by going for higher priced ones is also going to be helpful.

A hub that shows me every green widget available is going to confuse me.

If the first two hubs also say, "hey, you might be interested in this link to a similar hub on purple widgets", then I might be in total heaven if I had not realised that purple ones are available, but would actually prefer a purple one over a green one.

On the other, if I'm looking for information about a topic rather than a product, I appreciate a nice long hub that treats the topic in some depth. Were I free to do so, I might even click on Adsense links that caught my eye while taking brief breaks from the text. However, I know I'm in the minority in liking meaty articles! I also love big fat books of 500-1000 pages smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)