Is it a good idea to bring back dinosaurs?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

I saw a documentary on the science channel the other day, where some scientists are working on a way to bring back dinosaurs for research purposes.  apparently they got the inspiration from "jurassic park", so now there's research on turning that fantasy into a reality.  let's just pretend for a moment, that the technology exists to even bring back prehistoric life, do you honestly think we should?  if you think so, then please explain what would be the benefits of it.  if not, then please say why it's not a good idea.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Steven:
      Bringing 'em back is a learning process!
      We need to understand every facet of genetic engineering.
      I'm not saying to fill the zoo with dinosaurs, I'm just saying perfect the genetic process of doing so.
      Who can predict what future use of "knowing" might produce?
      Oh yes! Bring 'em back!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well qwark, you have fun with that. As you can see...Steve, Paradise, and myself are evacuating the universe. wink You're welcome to join us, if you'd like. Remember, "life finds a way." You'll remember us when the dinos are running rampant, and you realize that there are reasons for things to be extinct. wink

1. qwark profile image59

Spider:
          I'm licking my chops thinking about barbecueing those giant drumsticks on Tyrannosaurus Rex!!! mmmmm good!!!...:-)

LMFAO!!! I never thought of that! lol Solve world hunger, eh, qwark?

1. qwark profile image59

Spider:
              Damn straight!
              I'd want my generosity to be rewarded tho...bringing down one-a-those suckers is really gonna test my "gonads!" eh? ..get my drift? It's gonna take "balls!" oh yeh!

All right. All right, you win. I'll have admit the idea of watching you wrangle a T-Rex is rather sexy. I might stick around a minute and watch. I'll make you a deal--you bring down the dino, and I'll tend your wounds and even make your first dinner. wink I'm an excellent cook, and an even better *cough* "nurse."

1. qwark profile image59

Hey Glass..yer on!
                  ..but wait, I kill it you clean it ok?
                  You do that and I'll make ya a hi style dinosaur jacket outa the skin of that dinosaur leg that'll make you the talka-the-town!...deal?
                  When you get on the space craft outa here, spread it around that I designed and built that gorgeous jacket for ya eh?
                  I'll be here when the "et's" arrive to do some business with me..ok with you? Be nice and I may even give you a cut! I'm that kinda guy! lotsa heart where the "bucks" are concerned.
                  oh yeh!   :-)

hehehe...Hey, I ain't afraid to get down n dirty. You bring that Dino home...I'll dissect it. We'll see where it goes from there. wink

2. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe you should become the first restaurant owner to serve dead dinos, when dinosaurs do become part of our world again.  lol.

1. qwark profile image59

Steve:
              Hey never thought of that!
              I could get a gov't grant for billions and feed the needy!
              Thanks buddy!
              Do ya have any idea when them there dino's are gonna be re-produced? A man's gotta think ahead!

2. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

All I can visualize here is Prehistoric Pet Cemetery, lol

1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Holy smoke, those would be some DEEP graves!  And WIDE!

3. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Yep it could be as enjoyable as the birthday party of an 85 year old drunk! lol

4. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

So you're saying they WATCHED Jurassic Park...and decided it was a GOOD idea?? *slaps forehead*

How about "Just because we CAN do it, does that mean we SHOULD do it?" I guess they just fast-forwarded through that and all the nasty parts, eh?

1. profile image0

lol.  looks that way. although i am curious to see if they're actually going to pull it off.  although i'm with you, i think it's a terrible idea.  because for one, we have no idea how these dinosaurs were even like back in those times. i mean seriously.  why does everyone assume a brontosaurus was friendly?  just because it's a plant eater?  african elephants and rhinos are plant eaters too, but i wouldn't call them friendly.  if you piss any of them off, they're likely to kill  you.  who's not to say even the plant eating dinos might not be the same way.

5. Fozcat profile image60
      Fozcatposted 14 years ago

I don't see why it would be a bad idea, given the species of course.  I don't think any small herbivores would cause much of a problem.  If you get into cloning a T-Rex on the other hand....

The knowledge that would arise from studying a live animal would immediately supercede any risks.  Imagine what we'd learn about species development and evolution... not to mention that it would also be wicked cool.

6. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

*sigh* Sometimes I wish there was another planet I could escape to. We're determined to destroy this one.

I'm with you there.  The other planets are mostly too hot or too cold and basically unfriendly to life at all, unfortunately.

I'd like to escape to another universe altogether!  Come with me, bring the Scotch!

Yes! *packs the Scotch, some extra underwear, and her handy death ray...Rips a hole in the universe, stands on the edge of it holding out her hand to Paradise while the wind whips her hair around her face...* COME ON, WE CAN MAKE IT!!! big_smile

1. profile image0

hey, can i come with you ladies?  big_smile i don't want to be left here to die.  lol.

*nods to Steven* Yeah, but the hole won't last long...You're going to have to bring more Scotch! wink Hurry up!

1. profile image0

lol. you got it.  (grabs my briefcase full of extra clothes. while packing a gym bag full of a few extra bottles of scotch as i rush over to join gs and paradise)

I had to switch to Scotch.  I broke my wine!  Hey, any port in a storm.  The more the merrier, Steve,  This other universe, though...you don't need clothes.  It's kind of a universe law...

They'll get ripped off when we go through the hole...Haven't you done this before?? We'll acquire what we need when we get there. smile

2. profile image0

lol  i think i'm going to like this new universe then. tongue lol

Bad boys are a lot more fun.  You a bad boy? 

Yeah, haven't you ever gone through the black hole to the alternate universe on the other side?  I thought everybody made the trip at least once.  I guess a lotta peeps decided not to come back...the nude thing, maybe, or maybe the extraterrestrial music, very heavenly and hot at the same time.

7. Tom Cornett profile image80
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Would need some really big pooper scoopers smile

1. marinealways24 profile image59
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And dino home insurance. big_smile

2. Paradise7 profile image69

Hah!  Wowza.   The ultimate deluxe megascooper for your pet dinosaur.

*tugs Paradise's hand* Mommy Mommy, look *points to the dinosaur on the lawn* Can I keep him! I promise I'll clean up after him!

ETA: Or is it "Daddy Daddy?" Sorry, I don't know? sad No offense.

No, it's "mommy, mommy"....I'm a woman...

I *thought* that might be the case...I was ALMOST positive...but I've been on the receiving end of gender mistakes...so I just wanted to make sure. THanks big_smile

That's so awkward....Sorry.

8. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Are you sure they were watching Jurassic Park? Didn't those dinosaurs get out of hand and kill everyone? Yeah, that was the first thing I thought when I watched that movie too. Let's make dinosaurs so they can rip us apart! Brilliant *rolls eyes*

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I missed you, wish I could fan you twice.

I think bringing back dinosaurs would be a  Big Mistake, Huge! smile

Where is Pani???????   Faybe misses you.....Come back, Pani!!!!!!

1. profile image0
            Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I'm here! I'm here! Just 2 posts below. lol

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63

Yeah, that's what most of us thought too, so we made a hole to escape the universe. It's right over there *points* You don't have to stay here with this madness. smile

1. profile image0
          Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Missed you too, Faybe. I'll be writing more hubs soon.

Okay, Glass, I'm with you. SAVE ME FROM THIS MADNESS!

*Hands Pani a bottle of scotch and a death ray* That's all you'll need...Just jump through, and everything will be fine. You'll lose your clothes on the way through though, but you won't need em. smile Good luck.

I'll join you just after qwark takes down that T-Rex.

3. Paradise7 profile image69

I know, we'd bring back something a lot bigger than us, and even more dangerous, just so we have a chance to use all of those useless nuclear weapons stockpiled someplace...

Whoa!  Hold on!  What a freakin' negative thought!  The Positive Thinking Police will shoot me on sight!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)