harmful advice

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

I've just read a hub that encourages behavior that's harmful to your health and the health of others.

It is intended to be humorous, but nowhere does the author state this. The hub is not categorized under any of the humor categories.

My question is whether this violates the TOS. Also, would it violate the TOS if it was categorized as humor?

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I'd read it and was bothered in the same way as you are, I'd have flagged it. I know personal safety and well-being is the responsibility of the individual but - some people take things literally. In that case - I would feel responsible.

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People are stupid enough to not know what's good for them. It's far more tempting to live our lives along the lines of a cest la vie sentiment than to actually think.

I know in this particular case you wouldn't agree with me. But I won't put up with a hub that combines fallacious logic and manipulative emotional drills to back up a strong call to action that says, 'Start smoking!' all this masqueraded as humour. That prob makes sense.

2. LaVieja profile image61
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

I'm intrigued, which hub? I don't know the answer to your question but I think that if you flag it, when the staff look at it they would then decide whether or not it is acceptable. Did you flag it?

I didn't flag it, because I don't know if it is against the TOS.

I'm asking this question because, unfortunately, it's not only this hub, but many others.

I would flag them all if it was up to my 'taste.'

As for which hub, I mailed the address to you.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly the sort of situation where you are supposed to flag the Hubs.  That way the admin team can take a look and they'll decide if there's something wrong.

If there isn't, nothing will happen.  If a TOS violation is the issue, they'll contact the author about fixing the Hub.

3. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

I don't know if its against rules or not, but it certainly isn't responsible writing.  You could always ask Hub staff to review it if it makes you uncomfortable. 

We all have a lot of personal freedoms, but I always hope they are balanced w/ a commitment to "do no harm", so to speak.

However, not having read the hub, I can't really comment in any educated way... you'll have to judge what you feel is best.

You are always thoughtful TS. smile

Anyway, it does say on the author's profile page that anything (s)he writes should be taken with a grain of salt. Still, no warning in the hub and it's out of style IMO.

4. LaVieja profile image61
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

I see what you mean, but I do think it was probably tongue in cheek. Also, it isn't actually illegal, it is a choice people make. I don't think it probably does go against TOS but if it does make you feel very uncomfortable, why don't you drop the author a line? Or write a comment on the hub saying I hope this isn't for real? Just a thought.

You are right. Thank you.

I feel it is irresponsible to publish such a hub. The least (s)he should do is categorize it as humor as opposed to personal health.

1. MyWebs profile image79
        MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To be exact it is listed in personal health > smoking

Does anyone really believe smoking is healthy?

5. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Haunty, just flag it. HP staff will only take action against it if it violate their TOS, if it doesn't they will spare it.

6. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years ago

The recent Hubpages competition encouraged people to write pages on health topics.  Whether these writers had any actual knowledge of their topic is another matter....! 

"A bit of knowledge in untrained hands can be a dangerous thing."

7. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

What is the difference between whatever hub you are talking about and the atheist and religious advice that is given? lol

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If a person offers religious advice, whether their stance is pro a particular religion or not, then they're talking about something which is totally based on opinions anyway.  Holding a particular opinion won't, in itself, damage your health.

Giving unqualified and/or badly-informed medical advice could damage a person's health (if they're foolish enough to apply that advice.)  There's a good reason why trainee doctors undertake five years of med school rather than just a Google search. smile

8. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

If you can make a thread about it you'd have saved some time by just flagging it.

If it raises a few questions for you, flag it, put a comment in it, and send it off. HP HQ will sort it out and take action if they deem it necessary.

9. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Thank you, everyone.

My point with this thread was I scanned the TOS twice and I didn't see the prohibition of the promotion of harmful products or ideas anywhere.

I might have just missed it though.

I've now done as suggested and flagged.

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mis-categorizing is an alert to flag.

10. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

I know which hub your talking about and just went and read it. I do not think any person with two brain cells left to rub together would ever confuse this as advocating smoking.

It does list many reasons to smoke, albeit in a tongue and cheek manner. At no time does it seriously suggest people should start smoking. And what if it did? While stupid, smoking is legal.

I would expect your flag to be ignored, as it should be.

11. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

Well it worked as kind of an advert for the hub because now I want to chase the satire down and see it.  I love satire.

MyWebs, you are the convincing factor, lol.

It's kind of like boycotting a movie and how it creates exposure, isn't it?

I'm too lazy since there was no direct link to chase it down but MyWebs post has convinced me it's worth searching for.  tongue

12. dyonder profile image71
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

I thought it was funny, then again I've told people to use bleach as mouthwash to get pearly whites.

13. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

hahaha, this new hubber is hilarious and I just related it to a thread I browsed where darkside recommended him (or her).

I should have looked then, I have faith in darkside's common sense and good taste.

I'm sure his other hubs are very funny. This one isn't.

14. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe the point that Haunty is trying to make is that children unfortunately who are not being monitored will read what is written and not take it the same way as an adult. I don't believe he was intending to harm anyone he was looking out for the little people whose parents are to busy to not pay attention to what they are reading on the Internet. There is a simple fix to protect those children he should just make a note on the bootom of his hub. Doesn't anyone remember the hubber who ended up with children making comments on his hubs? Although it was adorable and the children were conversing it was a very good example of what children do when there parents are away or there isn't any parental controls in place. Just my opinion. smile

1. MyWebs profile image79
      MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any parent who lets a kid run wild on the internet is being extremely irresponsible. Between the adult content, hackers, viruses and kid predators online a hub listing the negatives of smoking is the least of mom and dads worries. You may even be surprised how many kids would get the true intent of this hub.

But even the best parents can't be there 100% of the time.  Kids WILL find a way to surf the net and read what they want to read when outside of Mom and Dad's protective grip.

I love kids and hate to see anything bad happen to them but why should I cater to bad parenting? It is not my job to protect the world.

"There is a simple fix to protect those children he should just make a note on the bootom of his hub."

The bottom?  How bout the top?  Everyone has a right to free speech, but parents need to keep in mind what exposure their children will have, and act accordingly.

We have a Nanny state mentality among our government already. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop expecting government and others to protect them and their children from every evil online. This is mom and dads job, not mine or the governments.

While my comment may seem harsh and uncaring it comes from being fed up with this mentality. I really do love kids. But if we expect others (instead of each individual) to protect us online, before we know it we will have a censored internet like China! Do we really want this??

Slowly but surely we will lose more and more freedom of speech online like we have already offline.  Government regulation isn't the answer; personal responsibility is.  So, sure, if the government wants to help educate the public on HOW to be responsible, go ahead.  But don't restrict the freedoms for the vast majority who ARE responsible.

You can not outsmart stupidity! Stupidity will ALWAYS win.

Start trying to outsmart stupidity and you will end up with a hub with more disclaimers than a prescription heart drug. Just my opinion. smile

15. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I get it now.

My goodness people, has anyone heard of satire?

I highly doubt that that HubPages will pull such a fine piece of witty social commentary.

Stop by the hubbers profile. Impressive resume without boring me to bits with it being long winded. Having viewed many of his hubs and the visual theme of the crappy yet cute accompanying illustrations I think we are extremely privileged to have a person of this caliber publishing at HubPages.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you read his "13 Unnecessary Camping Supplies" hub?  It's hilarious. 

I think anyone tempted to flag this guy must have had an irony bypass at birth.

1. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"When the heck did Axe become a sport?"

LOL! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)