Why no more great miracles?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (81 posts)
  1. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Splitting the Red Sea!!!!     Walking on water!!!!!

Raising the     !!!!         

Have you ever wondered why All these and more monumental miracles were performed in the ancient days and the more educated man has become how the miracles stopped. Seems to me if God wanted for us to believe he could split another ocean again. Right?

So why no more miracles that could be verified?

This is a serious inquiry.

1. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The answer is from Jesus Christ Superstar.

"If you've come today you could have reached the whole nation. Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication."

There can only be miracles and magic where there is absolute compassion. The ones who are capable of performing miracles do not. They are not Jesus Christ. It was His time and it was necessary.

There are many people who perform miracles for others. They do not herald it, lest the people label them gods.

1. profile image52
        mogabeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

heresy

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In order to answer yout question you would have to see all of the plaigues actualy putting the Hebrews in a position that they had to leave Egypt?  the parting of the Red/Reed sea as further proof that he was God. The Egyption army had to be killed or they would have never stoped chasing the Hebrews.

Jesus performed all of those miracles and died and rose from the dead as a last great effort "right before" the fulfillment of all of prophesy of the OT.

It only makes since if the 62 weeks unto the Messiah  described in Daniel was fulfilled.  It was
        It only makes since if the 69 weeks unto "Messiah The Prince"
      would also be fulfilled along the same timeline(time equation)as the 62 weeks.
         It only makes since if The 70 weeks that was that Hebrew Nation was given to quit sinning and anoint the Most Holy also be fulfilled along the same Timeline (time equation)
         That Hebrew Nation ceased to exist 30 years after the 70 weeks were past.
         If it didn't go down like this I would have to agree with all of the the Atheist on the forums. 
          THIS WOULDN'T MAKE ANY SINCE.  None of scripture would.
         I'm gald I believe that it went down as I explained above.

1. marinealways24 profile image57
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does it take a fictional event to make you believe in a miracle? I think this is snobbish. I think many miracles are observable in everyday life and the religious and atheists look to prove or disprove fictional events to justify miracles.

1. Jerami profile image58

I am just saying that if I am going to believe the bible I have to believe it as written.
              To think that Jesus did all that he did; He was born and cut off after 62 weeks. Some kind of time equation has to be true?  and then the 69th and 70th week is hanging out there someplace in interpretation land waiting to be fulfilled is as you put it Hogwash.
              If the 70 weeks of Daniel didn't happen something close to the way I explained it above... I am not going to believe any of it.

Maybe if you would observe the miracles in everyday life, you wouldn't be dependent on looking for them in an afterlife.

I never denied the existence of everyday miracles.
              Conception and birth is a miracle.  I was answering the question of the Big Miracles like parting of the sea raising of the dead, etc,
                 Life is a miracle.

Which ones do you concentrate more on, the everyday observations or trying to figure out how seas were parted? PS: I think the sea parting was BS. big_smile

People seem to be argueing about the smaller issues and ignoring the bigger issues.

The foundation of Christianity is not concerned with the parting of the Red Sea. wether anyone realizes it or not; the beliefs on Christianity rests upon Jesus Christ.
                    His being born, dieing upon the cross, his coming back again as the Messiah the Prince, the 70 weeks that that Hebrew Nation was given to anoint the Most Holy.

But everyone chooses to argue about the little stuff and letting this issue be totaly misrepresented.

lol You are the one constantly bringing up the small religious issues. BS, the Christian faith constantly preaches biblical miracles in the bible such as parting of the sea, walking on the water, healing through belief, and noah's ark to name a few, let's be honest. Religion uses preaching of biblical miracles to capture the religious faith, imagination, and passion to believe. Jesus is the strongest religious figure because his story captures the most passion in the believer.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because there is no one any longer who has the faith..

1. donotfear profile image83
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deborah, sad, but true.....

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hokey,

I too have asked God, "Why not do some magic/miracles, that way everyone will be forced to admit that you exist, provide the proof and all the questioning will simply vanish." God has always told me no. No magic and no miracles. At least not the kind described in the Biblical histories.

{from my hub Using magic to prove God}
      I have asked for signs from God. I have received them.
      Once I was in a bad place, and I was scared, I asked God, are you here with me? God answered Instantly by having a seagull fly directly over my head, a bird that stayed in that exact position looking down at me (100-200ft up) until the instant I said, "Thanks God, I see you. You can let the bird go now." In that exact instant the bird was released and it flew away.
      Another example in my own life is in my hub 'Was it just a dream.'
      Another time I asked God for a huge sign, I was trying to trip God up and have an undeniable miracle one that others would see as well, God answered, again without any delay at all and changed the entire sky from a beautiful blue to deep purple with pinkish highlights running through it. Everyone, except me, said what a spectacular sunset. I said that isn't fair, God chuckled at me.
      Another time, I was swimming in the ocean, I said to God, you can't do it can you? (Miracles I mean) God, instantly, had the ocean grab me and I was slammed to the bottom (I was in 3 or 4 foot of water at the time) the water held me there until I said OK, I get it, you can but you choose not to. As soon as I thought Ok, the water released me and I rose to the surface, I was not out of breath and I wasn't and hadn't been even the least little bit worried. But I did feel the strength of God.

There are others, but they, like these examples, are not the undeniable sort of proof you are looking for. They can all be chalked up to coincidence, or your mind playing tricks on you...

What God is telling me, as I was writing the above, is that they never work. Everyone always wants one more miracle, just for them. "Ok just do this"... People don't accept the miracles, they look for how it can be explained away. Coincidence or seeing things, I am as guilty as the next guy. That day in the ocean, I was on God's last nerve with the "ok, just do this... routine" which is why God was so forceful with me. The slightest bit of doubtful reason, becomes absolute proof, because we reason if God is all-powerful God can do it in a way where there is no possible way anyone could think it anything but absolutely true... Freewill means we are allowed to search for ways they could possibly not be true, and if you look long enough you will find some tiny triviality, a 1 in a million chance, and that trivial thing is a doubt, that's all it takes.

God is tired of jumping through hoops for our egos. People use the miracles as a sign of personal power, of being better than others. We accept the miracles so long as they continue, and as soon as they stop so does our belief that they happened and were miracles.

Mikel

1. donotfear profile image83

Very well said!!!! Absolutely!  Bravo!

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with donotfear's view of this-----I like this!  Great testimony.

5. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too many Chris Angels .
      And miracles were always a hoax.

6. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't blame God because people aren't paying attention

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Because Jesus's death and Resurrection was sufficient.
    The Bible explains it all if you'd only open it and read without the Buddha bias you have.

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not bias on my part but yours. Whenever Christians cant answer something they revert to the fail-safe of because God or the bible says so. That doesn't work anymore. I am not just talking about Christianity here but Islam and other miracle religions also.

2. donotfear profile image83

Brenda, when you answered Hokey's question here, it started out as a straight answer to a legitimate question. Which I agree with. But when you added the last part to the answer here

it set you up to come across as dogmatic and bias yourself.  Please, please, when you are responding to questions like this, why can't you allow only love to come out? I know you mean well, I really do. And I myself am a Christian with a strong foundation, but this type of defensiveness is what puts a target on you and labels us all as 'hateful christians'.  Please do not take this personally....I hold no authority. But if we want to spread the Good News, immediately taking the defensive will damage your spiritual witness.

1. profile image0

I'd much rather be labeled biased than to be labeled politically correct.  Especially since I'm in good company with the Lord on that method.
        And the message of Love without any criticism had already been spread between the person in question and I.  Hokey knows I Love him with the Love of God.

So please, even though I think YOU mean well also, stop adding fuel to the antiChristian fire that rages both in this forum and in the rest of the world.   The world is a mission field for a Christian, not a setting for Christians to assimilate into sanctioning or joining the worldly rhetoric of condoning the antiChristian behavior of other religionists.

1. luvpassion profile image62
          luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda...still fighting the good fight?

1. profile image0

Tooth and nail.

I see you're a new Hubber.

Do I know you?

What about you?  Are you fighting the good fight?

Trying.

1. profile image0

Now I remember, maybe.

Long time no talk, Teri.

I have discoverd the Christian oasis, been spending some time there.

1. profile image0

.. I see...I think.

Are you...finding what you seek there?

2. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just said it yourself, "The world is a mission field for a Christian" - why wouldn't you expect there to be "antiChristian behavior?"

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the world doesn't want to be a mission field for Christians?

1. profile image0

Second question-----of course!

First question---I DO expect there to be antiChristian behavior!  Just not from fellow Christians!

1. Beelzedad profile image58

You should expect it considering there are hundreds of Christian sects in the world, all having varying degrees of belief dissimilar to your beliefs.

I suppose that's the problem atheists have when they see that even Christians are unable to agree amongst themselves and wind up creating their own little internal wars.

1. profile image0

Honestly, I don't believe that.

...If an athiest REALLY wants to know the Truth,  they'd find it no matter what.  Atheists in general are tenacious when it comes to knowledge,  and they don't give up easily;  they take pride (as most people do) in learning.  I don't think a little ol' Christian's disagreement with another Christian would stop 'em from finding out what they wanna find out.  Surely they're not that easily distracted!

1. Beelzedad profile image58

I think that atheists observe Christians who vehemently disagree with other Christians, who call each other 'antiChristian' see them as adding fuel to the fire and showing atheists are right.

3. profile image0

AND I will add that there ARE great miracles today.

The birth of a child is a common miracle which, if the agenda of antiChristians goes on, may one day become scarce.  And ergo the end of mankind's procreation, shepherding in the end of days.  Get ready Hokey.  There is a great Truth that you seek but are not willing to open your heart to yet.

1. Hokey profile image60

Truth?   neutral

lol

4. profile image0

As I said, you seek a sign.
    But you ignore the true Sign.

1. Hokey profile image60

Your only sign is delusion. I dont look for a sign because there is no sign or ever was. The Bible in not a historic reference. Not to be taken as true but as fables and metaphores.

1. profile image52

You are lonely in that summation, as the accuracy of the scriptural accounts is yet to be refuted.

History and science agree with the Bible everywhere.  hoy...

lol Ridiculous. Science agrees with the bible?

5. marinealways24 profile image57
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

All life is a miracle in the possibility or fact that every physical thing seen started from thought. As far as religious miracles, i'm not buying them.

1. Hokey profile image60

I agree with you.

Thank You. big_smile

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Bwahahhahah............

7. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Please yikes   Discuss your belief why these miracles have stopped;

8. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Just as a note there are over 100 diffent written accounts of miracle workers turning water in to wine around the time of Jesus. This has been tracked down to the invention around that time of a dehydrated 'powdered wine' which was sold in a few countries in the north of the African continent.

1. profile image52

Now you're getting funny!  heehee

It is easy to recognize authenticity and ignorance when you are familiar with the Bible.

So many claim knowledge while exposing ignorance that it make me somewhat ill.

Read and learn, then talk, yikes.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read and learn a lot, which is why i know random things such as this.

2. Hokey profile image60

Interesting.

9. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Religion promoted miracles to reign in the masses.  It still does today but just within the boundaries of usually dramatized evangelism. Most religions today are dead in faith because they concentrate on growing members instead of members growing in faith.

Some even grasp at the face of Jesus on a sticky bun. It must be a miracle!  Perhaps...if the church paid less attention to the miracles of Jesus and more attention to his teachings...faith would return.  Then...there would be no reason for miracles.

I am impressed more by what he said than what he did. smile

I could not agree more.
         There is a big diffrence between Faith and "Religion"

10. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

To the faithful miracles are the realization of their expectations and not merely miracles.

To others they are miracles.

But understand that it does not take only The most high to perform what we call a miracle.

You and I can do it also even the Devil the enemy of God.

Truth will be /perform itself always, but not all who allow truth to be/perform are of truth themselves.

So seeking after miracles is not the ideal, but seeking Truth is.

There are many miracles that glorify the enemy.

There will always be a lacking of  Faith/Truth that causes true miracles to the glorification of God.

11. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

kess   you are absolutely right.. we will never know who we are following when we follow miracles.

12. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 14 years ago

It was the 'miracles' of that time that were supposed to be the "evidence" believers required to become believers. They demanded evidence then, they don't demand evidence anymore.

13. Inspiration101 profile image61
    Inspiration101posted 14 years ago

There is a line of thought that maybe the miracles in the bible are not meant to be read literally, but figuratively. I'm not saying that's what I think. I'm just throwing it out there as something to consider.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

no more great miracles, because "PROUD MEN" knows everything already and the WORD MIRACLE is not NEW to them anymore, ALL PEOPLE became GOD of themselves, they can answer all questions now!according to THEM!

15. skyfire profile image79

So anyone who disagrees with you is anti christian eh ?

Cool, asking someone to get out of Buddha bias and then switch to Jesus bias is something like conservative preaching at it's best here.

1. profile image0

I do happily admit I'm biased for Christ, yes indeed.

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In that case how can you say that you're open towards Buddha teachings to prove hokey wrong about his view of truth is wrong? or you discard Buddhist views just like that ?

1. profile image0

Yes I can and do discard Buddha.  Just like that.
          He has no influence over me at all.
          One doesn't necessarily have to prove Hokey or anyone wrong, in order to show them the Truth.
          One only has to point them toward Jesus, who is perfectly capable of revealing Himself to them (if their hearts are open to the knowledge of His Love and Sacrifice for them, AND the fact that He is Judge of all).

And by discarding Buddhist views just like that still proves your perception of truth is right ? And whatever you perceive which is in conflict with others and is non-verifiable is still remains truth for you? am i right ?

1. profile image0

Yes.  My heart and mind are set on Jesus.
              I have no need to mull on other unproven theories or idols.
              Since I have the Truth, that has set me free.

Man often continues to seek after knowledge, when it's simply already right in front of them, so close they can reach out and grab it.  But many times they refuse.....

It's hard, I know.  The pattern was set long ago by Eve's acceptance of the fruit.  But God made a Way to still be saved.

Just one question, how you're so sure about other theories or idols being false or unproven ? any proof or just like that ?

16. skyfire profile image79

Open to knowledge ? I don't get it. Here you discard Buddhist views just like that and believe in Christ right ? and expect others not to discard christian views and keep open views towards it ?

Is it self bias ? or some convenient concept for "open to knowledge" ? I mean you can discard Buddhist or Islamic views just like that but you can't let others discard christian views like that if they do then they're not open towards it ?They must read bible and believe in it ? Why so ? Do you mean that if anyone is open towards Christianity mustend up being advocate of Christianity ? Suppose if i keep myself open towards views of Jesus then i have to preach & defend Christianity by discarding any other belief and concept just like that ? This is how "open to knowledge" stuff works ?

1. profile image0

The tree that Adam and Eve ate from was the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Mankind will almost always seek that before they seek the Tree of Life.  It takes that free will (the choice) in order to appreciate the Tree of Life, for us fallible humans.   Satan's plan failed for his specific purposes, because God used it to put His own plan into effect.

I've been there.  I "ate" from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
      I returned full circle back to the Tree of Life.
      But other people, if they follow the testimonies in the Bible and other witnesses of God, don't HAVE to delve into all the worldly knowledge and waste time.  They're like the Prodigal Son's brother who already was faithful.  It can be done.  It's just that most of us are so very subject to temptation, so we try different paths before coming back to Loving our Creator.   I admit I was one of that group.

I think they ate from the tree of Mary Jane.

2. Hokey profile image60

Satan? Oh come on.

3. Beelzedad profile image58

Assuming the good and evil of which you refer is defined by scriptures, it isn't something anyone who didn't share those beliefs of that religion would seek, whether they be atheist or a believer of another religion. Good and evil are subjective matters of interpretation since man is neither good nor evil, but instead behaves based on his need to survive.

The "Tree of Life" as you put it is survival in whatever culture and society we live today. smile

17. skyfire profile image79

Sorry, i can't buy this.

18. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

little miracles are good enough for me!

19. profile image0

Which all reminds me of the greatest miracle and brings me back to the original subject of this thread.

Salvation!  The greatest miracle by the great and awesome God!!!

So, leaving it at that.
    I don't wanna hijack the thread anymore.

20. marinealways24 profile image57

I think consciousness is a miracle. We can't see who, what, how, or when it started, but we recognize we are conscious.

1. Antecessor profile image67
      Antecessorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I guess you would consider the property of water known as fluidity a miracle as well.

One mole of water by itself is not a fluid, only when it is combined with other moles of water does the property of fluidity appear. So fluid is appearing from non-fluid. This is known as (not as a miracle!) but as an emergent property of the water moles obeying local physics.

One neuron (organic logic gate) is not conscious by itself, but when combined with enough other neurons, the property "conciousness" appears from the nonconcious. Conciousness is an emergent property of neurons obeying local laws. No magic involved.

Any injection of teleology or god or magic is unnessecary and illogical. I have clearly proven here that propertys can emerge from the laws of physics, without there being prior propertys of that sort. So saying that consciousness must be the result of a previous consiousness is a fallacy.

You can study how water came to be, but what is your studies on how the first conscious cell came to be?
        You are right, it takes 2 conscious neurons to communicate, exchange chemical or electrical impulse to create a synapse to bridge the gap for conscious thought. If you think the conscious neuron came from something unconscious, maybe you believe in miracles more than I. The local laws you speak of are conscious reactions to environment and other neurons. I didn't say anything about a God, I don't know how the first conscious cell came to be. What is your short proof of consciousness from unconsciousness? It is not a fallacy, it is logic. Something unconscious doesn't have conscious reactions.

21. marinealways24 profile image57

I didn't mean to run you off Ante, come back. big_smile
    I am interested to see what you know about the first conscious life.

22. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

Miracles happen when you cant explain phenomenon by science, now everything can be explain, if not they will say science is still looking for an answer

23. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

The era of miracles is over.Now,we need something more than miracles-world peace.

24. coletta7 profile image60
    coletta7posted 14 years ago

As much as you doubt the lord, he still raise you out of your bed every day:) Pay attention to the little he does for us on a daily basis using as little a faith as a mustard seed!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)