Do you believe in miracles ?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. pinappu profile image82
    pinappuposted 11 years ago

Do you believe in miracles ?

People are discussing about miracles for ages. Do you believe in miracles or such events which our science can not explain?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Yes, They happen everyday even though we don't necessarily hear about them.

pinappuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

May be

3. Cara.R profile image64
    Cara.Rposted 11 years ago

HI, Pinappu,
    I believe in miracles but my reason why may not be a popular one. To me a miracle has an explanation but humans are not intelligent enough to understand how it is possible.  We call it a Miracle when  something good and unexplainable happens. When it's something "bad" and unexplainable, lets say a horrific incident, call it  Evil or Evil Forces. Call it the devil or pick your name; for the unexplainable bad "miracle." Because they all have an answer we just don't know what it is. My definition of what constitutes a miracle may differ however, I don't believe in an all scientific notion. The fact that it is unexplainable makes the answer even more interesting. If no one can comprehend it; then the answer could be something that we fall to our knees over. As complicated or simplistic the answer could be.

"To me a miracle has an explanation but humans are not intelligent enough to understand how it is possible" - very well said.

4. yoginijoy profile image66
    yoginijoyposted 11 years ago

Without a doubt! Miracles are happening around us all the time. They can be tiny and therefore don't capture our attention. The larger ones tend to be overshadowed by our reactions to them rather than our true appreciation of them in the moment.  Each breath, each morning, each sunset, each kiss--all miracles in my book!

Do you have any personal experience?

2. yoginijoy profile image66
      yoginijoyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, many times I have asked the universe to help me in dire situations and not once have I been let down. Four times for health reasons I have been through the ringer, and  I have come back stronger each time!

5. Saved by Jesus profile image58
    Saved by Jesusposted 11 years ago

Absolutely.  I have had miracles happen to me, and I have seen and heard about many miracles.  I give God all the glory for each and every one of them.  Only He makes them happen. smile

But I think not only God but also Satan can show miracles - is not it?

6. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yes. It happened to me years ago when I was a teenager. I had an accident when a car hit me and I flew in the air before landing on the road. It is a miracle that I survived with just a few cuts.

You are lucky @ edhan.

7. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

Yes indeed; yet a miracle to one may seem like something entirely different to another. After I survived a coma and was rehabilitated I was hit by a drunk driver while driving in my Escape. I believe it was indeed a miracle (yet not for me); The drunk driver would have side impacted a mini-van with 3 pre-schoolers sitting on the side of impact if I was not occupying the blocking position and had not deflected this incoming "skud." It was a miracle indeed; no one was hurt and a drunk driver received some help...
    When my father passed on from pancreatic cancer shortly after he retired at 64; we were concerned for my stay-at-home mother. You "see" my father did not have life insurance and my mother had no income. Yet out of the blue, a developer came along and wanted to build a condo. He needed all of the houses on my mother's block. Most sold yet my mother and a few others would not; some were holding out for more money. My mother was sentimentally attached to their house. She would not sell; although she could have used the money. This is when the miracle occurred; another house down on the next block was robbed. This was what had to happen to release my mother from her attachment to our house. By this time the offer had increased to about 1/2 million dollars (almost double the amount of the initial offer). My mother and next door neighbor (picture, Lucy and Ethel) decided to take the offer. The other 3 parties continued to hold out for more. As soon as my mother received her money the developer went belly-up, bankrupt. Our house still looks the same today; there is no condo, yet my mother was given enough money to live out her life in a 3 bedroom condo that had enough space for my brother's, sister's and my family to visit and spend many moments with my mother. she passed with a smile in 2009.
    Even miracles can be somewhat hidden from the nondiscerning eye. I believe careful observation can discern miracles happening all around us.
    My mother was upset when my father passed on shortly after he retired; she was looking forward to spending many winters in Florida; yet after my father died she lost interest in this endeavor. It seems that I took over for them and I have lived in Florida since the mid 80s and I and my family have enjoyed every minute of it. Are my deceased parents somehow living vicariously through me and my family? We have raised 3 children who are significantly similar to my mother and her 2 sisters. Those so called "coincidences" may indeed be the hand of God... When I reflect back on my life as I grew up in my parents' house; it seems that our needs were always met yet we were a typical middle-class family. We wanted for nothing and it seemed like we lived beyond our means. A miracle indeed that continues like a river through our generations...

Hi Connorj,
                             All these events can be termed as "good luck" but I think would a bit difficult to classify as "miracles" - What do you think?

2. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you begin an analysis of all of the "coincidences" that come together to place my Ford escape in that exact time and space as well as that mini-van and drunk driver driving across a field to intersect a highway. Someone is roling the dice...

8. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Believe? No. Know? Yes.

I've experienced many miracles. And I'm not talking about the "common" type of "miracles" such as beautiful sunsets, birth of a baby, or surviving a car crash. Each of those are "ordinary" miracles that are easily explained by science, to a greater or lesser degree.

To me, "miracle" refers to something "extraordinary." Something, like you said, cannot be explained by science. But there's more. Not only can science not explain it; science will never explain it. Why?

Science deals with the realm of continuity -- space-time and energy-matter. Every effect or state that science studies is built upon continuity. Science would not exist without continuity. The predictability of events and effects, as in a laboratory, come from the fact of that continuity. Continuity means that one thing depends upon another. Molecules interacting chemically depend upon their properties and their states.

Miracles, on the other hand, come from the realm of discontinuity. This is where creation, inspiration and forgiveness originate. These are grounded in the realm of spirit. Science can never touch these.

I've written of my experiences with miracles. One was very much like that of Moses parting the sea. Quite literally, it took my breath away. It also taught me that we are not only Homo sapiens bodies, for a physical body could never do such a thing. Science tells us that. So, the only conclusion left is that I am more than merely physical.

Do I believe Peter stepped out of his storm-tossed boat onto the unsettled Sea of Galilee to stand on the water before his master, Christ? I wasn't there, but I believe it happened exactly that way. I also believe that doubt set in moments after he stepped out, and he promptly sank.

What is significant about that is that science depends heavily upon doubt -- that found in the paradigm known as "skepticism." Science could do better with a paradigm that did not depend upon doubt. It can find a better basis in "restraint" and "humility."

What you want to say is that science can not explain miracles because these are spiritual and they do happen - am I right ?

9. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

Yes i do very well believe in Miracles. There are ample examples of miracles or such events which our so called science can never explain.

10. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

Miracles do happen, I should know because I was born hehe!
    You was born, and everyone else on the miraculous planet they call earth. The gift of life is a miracle to me.

Agreed .

11. Astralrose profile image90
    Astralroseposted 11 years ago

"It is usual among the religious to term what God seldom does as miracles and what science does every day as convenience."

There goes my answer! There are no miracles, so I can't believe in something that is not there! But I believe that cooperation and hard work bring positive results.

12. pandav profile image60
    pandavposted 11 years ago

I have experienced a miracle once when I was a kid in school. I used to choose junior boys from lower classes to threat and bash (because my  bullying experience with my classmates were not that good).

Once a very little boy, 4 years younger than me, whom I selected as a perfect target to practice a kick on his back, had beaten me as much as I ran away shouting " Mummy".

This was a miracle.

13. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

Yes, I believe in miracles. You won't know if your examination scripts will get praises and you are awarded with a plenty of As. You won't know if your artwork has been selected as the best piece, especially when it is a subjective judgement. No matter how hard you try, you will get the expected results depending on a myriad of factors, i.e. the leniency of the examiner, the mood of the examiner, etc. It is hard to describe an accomplishment as a miracle because rare cases do happen.

14. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

I surely do believe in miracles everyday I see them not only in my life but in others lives as well.

15. profile image58
    C L Davisposted 11 years ago

Yes I believe in miracles, because i believe that the creator of life and everything we are experiencing are behind miracles. And i believe because of one Monday morning. I was sitting in my living room with a piece of string in my hand. And a voice spoke to me, and i don't mean audible, but a voice spoke to me on the inside, And it spoke with such power and authority, that I felt like I had to obey. This is what the voice said (Go To Church Sunday) And so I called my my sister in law who was a christian and told her what happened to me, and she said she would be to my house to take me to church Sunday and she did, that Sunday morning I walked into that church in one world, and walked out in another world, for the first time in my life my eyes was open and i could see into the Spiritual ream and I knew that God was real. It was one moment in one day of time, just like that my entire life was changed. and i was never to be the same. It's like when i walked into that church I was traveling south on the road of life. When i walked out of that church i was traveling  North on the road of life, and i never looked back. If there is a creator and he is who he says he is and can do what what he says he can do there are miracles and i'm one of them

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)