What or where does conscience stem from?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (90 posts)
  1. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

Of course, conscience is the "consciousness of the moral right or wrong of one's own acts or motives."  This is not about 'consciousness' in a sense of being aware that you're conscious, nor is it about whether you believe there is a such thing as "right or wrong" due to "label & title" beliefs...it is about the question:  Was you born into this world with a sense of conscience or did you learn it from your surroundings and/or surrounding influential beings and/or environmental fear factors, such as thunder, for example, that may have scared you into a state of thinking there may be some other ultimate form of order?  What's the difference?  Mother nature or your parents?  The question may seem simple when first read, but it all depends on how far your memory can go back......

I welcome any input, negative or positive, as this may prove to be answered in simple minded ways or by the complexities of deeper aspects via diverse thought waves from one's own self recollection......

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Each human being was born with a conscience, but it remains unused until one is taught that it exists and what it means to have.
      The only factors that should factor in is what is taught in school and from parents- should those conflict? Then verification of which is truth would still need to be discerned through the effort of the one seeking the information/knowledge.

There is a difference between a conscience and understanding it, versus what you are comparing it to. The Thunder, as you say, wouldn't have a factor in one's belief, because we know how it is created/happens.
      Nature is part of the core of Earth and it's survival. Your parents, are your individual guides, for understanding life.

Mother nature plays no role in your life, except to interrupt it on occasion.

Btw- it doesn't take recollection to figure out things. It takes one to introspectively view things objectively, so as to gain/discern truth about their own individual existence.

Interesting question. To make simple- Your individual conscience is derived from your individual consciousness. If you didn't have your consciousness, then you wouldn't have your conscience, because you wouldn't have free will to make choices or actions, which cause one to try and figure out of if right or wrong.

Just my thoughts on it. smile

Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for you thoughts, and they were good ones.
        So, you admit we were born with a conscience?
        Okay, where did it stem from?
        See, I think recollection matters, since some of us may remember having a conscience before it could reasonably be taught.
        I do think nature can dictate the same parental ways that may influence conscience; I suppose it depends on how early you are aware of your surroundings.  One cannot understand the science of "thunder" at age 3, for example.  But later, we can say that it had no influence because now we know the science behind it.
        Then again, maybe that is why Gaia is known as "Mother Earth."
        Although, I totally admit that conscience interrelates with consciousness; no doubt.
        What few collective thoughts I have gathered on this thread, has provided what I originally thought:
        So, conscience stems from universal consciousness, and the ultimate source of consciousness from one source of awareness, designed our petty form of evolution on planet Earth, which caused us to adapt to our current madness?
        Sounds good to me...  Damn, I'm starting to sound like the hub member "marinealways24," ha-ha!

I told you where it stems from...your consciousness. I even told you why I say that.

It is impossible for you to be aware of your conscience, before you can learn what it is? You cannot know something, before you learn it.
          Again, nature is irrelevant, because human consciousness is a higher level of awareness.
          A child of age 3 is not going to understand "thunder", so it would or could be afraid of it, but as one learns more about reality, they learn that thunder is harmless.
          Yes, they are connected.
          Okay, this part I will disagree with. Humankind evolved consciousness, it wasn't a granted ability or power from some other source. The human beings mindspace, being two chamber, evolved individual consciousness, so as to adapt to the growing of society.

Again, just my understanding of what you asked. smile

I disagree, but thanks again for your opinion.
            I think it is very possible to be aware of your conscience before you learn all of these other earthly "things" you speak about - by textbooks or by whatever other means of so-called "education."  But, then again, I may be presenting personal bias since I'm currently at a sublime state of consciousness.  This is another reason why I wanted to see other peoples' opinion, which is great...  wink

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No - you are not. If you were - you would not be asking the question you just asked.

Take it from me - using a computer does not compute with a sublime state of consciousness.

Conscience. No conscience. Meaningless concept when faced with premature death of your offspring.

Really.

big_smile

Huh?  Are you now questioning the reason for inquisitiveness?
                A computer has nothing to do with it.  It is just another means of communication.
                Nothing is meaningless, by the way...

Not in the slightest. No.

Was I not clear?

Probably not; sometimes I'm bad about reading into stuff.  You can always restate in a more candid fashion.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image70
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very well said Cagsil.  I also liked what you had to say about Evolution playing a basic role in the development of an ever evolving consciousness.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Answer - self preservation.

Have you ever noticed that it is OK to kill some one when they are opposing a gas pipeline, but not so much when they favor the pipeline?

See? How hard is that? wink

No, that is killer instinct, but thanks anyway.  I agree about that...  LOL!  wink

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is sociological as it depends on the society you are into, its morals and accepted values plus of course you have your own consciousness to balance what you think is really right or wrong.

You are not born with conscience it is the society in which you live  that will mostly determine your concept of whats wrong and right. first your family, then school, peers, religion, and laws of the government!

See, I'd hate to disagree with your lovely answer, but......  okay, I'll just say I was born with a conscience from past awareness; that way, it will still preserve your beautiful answer for everyone else.  smile

4. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It stems from Natural Law (Moral Law, if you will).

Just curious, is that universal law or earth-bound law, or is it all the same?

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there are studies done that say conscience and morality begin in a section of the brain. 

there is a difference between conscience and consciousness.

I agree, science and religion are both confused forms of madness.
        Well, since you put it that way, where did the brain stem from?  ...A conscious form of evolution?
        I know, just like most people on this particular forum topic knows, there is definitely a difference between conscience and consciousness; that's why I started the thread, to begin with.  But, they both interrelate...  smile

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Oooo
    I hope Cagsil responds to this one, I always enjoy his thinking on these sorts of questions.

As for myself I haven't a clue lol
    I have a conscience but have never pondered its source smile

3. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

It's an evolutionary adaptation that has helped humans to cooperate and work together, and thus made us successful as a species.

That's a good answer from the "label & title" belief section.  It was definitely a sound minded scientific answer.
      So, we just sort of picked up conscience along the way, is that what you meant?  We evolved into conscience?  Personally, I thought cooperation and working together was one of our shortcomings from the fallouts of mankind, or else, this would be a peaceful world, now wouldn't it?
      Thanks for answering, though...

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
        William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What?

fallouts of mankind?  cooperation a shortcoming?

Yeah, the Homo sapiens aren't very good at it, as a whole; look around...

2. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense to me smile
      Try n survive in the jungle on your own and see how long it takes to be something else's dinner!
      Survive in the jungle as a part of a tribe and you might just do OK, even experience happiness and joy. We are a communal animal smile

What does that have to do with conscience?  LOL!

1. kirstenblog profile image77
          kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Behave dangerously or criminally and get kicked out of your tribe and see how long you live. What punishment would be more likely to result in death outside of being killed out right? We just cannot survive in total isolation. Anyone who could not operate inside the tribe was unlikely to pass on their genes and were an evolutionary dead end. Lack of conscience for mankind is just not viable.

Actually, I would say a lack of conscience is unacceptable. smile

2. Obscure Divine profile image60

Kristen, conscience doesn't stem from the core of one's self, from that tribal tribulation of yours, geez...

4. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

The conscience stems from the ability to see the duality of all things.

It is the cause of the "fall" of man from the beginning which came by the command "do not".

But what is considered as a "fall", truly is merely an opportunity "to be" just as God is, for unless we see this duality which comes via the conscience, we would not nor cannot Know The Father.

Do you mean reflective thoughts of divinity?  Just curious...
      Although, this sounds like it falls under the "label & title"  belief section, thanks for answering.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Okay, let me put it this way.

When you are a child, about the age of 3 or 4, then when you go to do something, and you get caught doing it, then your parent reprimands you....you do learn the right or wrong aspect.

It doesn't come into existence, until you do something that is right or wrong. Reasoning, you as a child do not know right from wrong, it is simply something you cannot be aware of, because it needs to be taught to you.

The first time the parent slaps a hand, when a child is old enough to understand NO...which is part of right or wrong, is when conscience begins to come into play.

Are you aware of it sooner? No.

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Deleted

Cagsil, that makes sense in a primitive, elementary sense.  But, it is very apparent that you might miss the point - due to your blind spot - when it comes to trying to understand mystics from intuitive beings.  I can't agree with you, in my light, since that wasn't the case with me and I'm sure, many others.  I will say, you will relate to the majority; but then again, I'm not on the same level as the majority - but I still learn from them.  smile

roll

2. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Why did mine and Marks posts get deleted?

Deleted

lol It's been a long day.

Who in the hell knows?  I figured you two got into it, and individually deleted your posts.  But, I did manage to view some of them before y'all deleted 'em.  LOL! 
        I think you should keep the insults live, as you'll never have to worry about me reporting you since I believe in something called "freedom of speech."

lol I think i'm too tired to fight today. Besides, I like old Knowles, he keeps me honest and logical in my replies.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Deleted

lol What are you talking about, I did too delete it.

Deleted

Which one was an insult? I thought I deleted the insults.

Quit deleting your true opinions, dang!

3. marinealways24 profile image59

Maybe the word conscience was invented by religion as a way to control the mob by way of subconscious.

Organized religions didn't coin the word 'conscience'......but maybe the terms: fear, control, and corruption.  LOL!

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Did someone delete the post where the question was answered?
      haha

...Cagsil came the closest to what I view as the answer.
      I'm just waiting for the real answer....

Aww- I am fairly sure you have an answer that allows you to do whatever you like and still point a finger.

Like wot the biybel sez. lol

Religionists. Sooo funny.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Imagine Tarzan living alone with the animals, will he has conscience like sharing his food to animals or he will fight with the animals to have food, will he learn to eat by fork!we learn because we socialize and we socialize first in our homes, then school and outside world as we grow older, we move farther away from home

I honestly think that conscience can be natural like sharing food etc, humans have a natural goodness in them,  and it is also dictated by the mores of the society so it is both, natural and through socialization!

Hey PDH, not to pick on you, but there is a difference between, your consciousness and your conscience. Grant it, these are connected together, but each have been identified as separate things.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its ok Cagsil, consciousness is determined by your conscience to some extent -- and conscience is determined by the result of your natural goodness plus socialization process

it is the being which determines consciousness to some extent also

6. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Mark, you're slipping.  You forgot to hisssssss that time.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

that natural goodness is inherent upon you because of a GOD

That is your belief. It's actually Evolution, as it has been identified.

Consciousness was evolved to. It wasn't given to human beings.

On your first post- Your consciousness is your awareness of life. Should you not have that- then your individual conscience will not have existed, because you will not be able to recognize it.

Your conscience is the rightness and wrongness of what actions we do. It doesn't come into play, until you act. If you are just thinking, then your conscience has no value. When you put those thoughts into an action, then and only then does your conscience determine whether or not it is right or wrong.

This would be a moral trait that comes from being taught the true meaning of Integrity. Integrity is honesty and love combined. smile

8. marinealways24 profile image59

Ah ha! I think I have the answer, but i'm not sure. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't think conscience is limited to just us.

I think conscience is shown in animals in the form of altruism in evolution. Would a living thing show unselfish concern towards others without a conscience? I don't think so.

9. marinealways24 profile image59

Where did everyone go?

Does conscience design altruism?

I don't know, but a couple of them may be off to debate about the existence of the "tooth fairy" or something similar...

Anyway, that is an interesting subject you brought up. 
        I'm short for time right now, busy trying to shoot some freakish individual dressed as the Easter Bunny that just wandered into my yard - it's currently passing out printed-off sheets of humanity-damaging propaganda.  I hope my sawed-off 12 gauge does the trick!  Just kidding...

lol

I knew you were a serial killer!

LOL!  It was quick and painless, now I need to buy a new shovel...  Ha-ha!
            Hmm, why do you think I'm a serial killer, just curious since you've mentioned this before?

Oh, about your question:  "Does conscience design altruism?"

When speaking about other animals:  Conscience seems to relate to the level of consciousness a race of beings have - when compared to other species, as a whole.  But, I'm yet to see that altruism can consistently parallel with conscience - due to random factors and elements of life.

1. profile image0
              zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

due to survival factors.
              what is good for you, might be good for me, because we are much more alike than different.

Huh?  Serial killers are due to survival factors?  What?

10. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Obscure Divine wrote:

Paarsurrey says:

It stems with the spirit or soul as designed by the Creator- God Allah YHWH.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

lol

Ridiculous. You say everything stems from Allah so you don't have to think.

1. profile image50
          paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend marinealways24

First there is design then the creation. From inanimates> botanical> animals> to human beings; the life got evolved. The difference is the creation of soul or the spirit.

Thanks

Your identity is becoming redundant verbiage; surely, we all know who you represent by now, but thanks for telling us...AGAIN!

11. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years ago

consciouseness as you describe it in your first period, looks like ethics.
      I think it's a kind of sublimation of the survival instinct which is inherent to all species.
      As for knowlege, one part is born with each individual DNA and the other is aquired from the environment (family included).
      This is an easy answer, and I like it.
      For instance :
      all humans are born with a self defense instinct that commands basic fight or flight reactions. But in some societies you should carry a gun in order to protect yourself and the group and in other human groups it's strictly forbidden (for the same reasons).
      So, a conformist behaviour increases chances of survival.
      I hope this answer was "convenient". Even if it comes from a mere interpretation of your writing.

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend zampano

In religious terms, in short, it is described as soul or spirit.

Thanks

1. profile image0

Hi peaceful Muslim.
          Have a mint tea, while I drink a glass of wine.
          (the blood of our Saviour, Lord Jesus Christ !)
          a spirituous drink.
          hehehe.

Hi, Zampano; thanks for commenting.

I still don't see how "survival instinct" relates to moral conscience.  I call that "killer instinct" not conscience.  There is more to morals than life or death; feelings and emotions run a little longer than whether you should tear out someone's throat or not - for survival.

12. sannyasinman profile image61
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Conscience: “the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.”

So, it is clearly something which is learnt from our surroundings and cultural upbringing, and therefore differs greatly depending upon where you are and where you came from.

For example, if a woman brought up in an indigenous Amazonian tribe were to give you advice on “How To Best Enjoy Your Neighbour”,

You might be shocked to hear her talk of roasting, pot-boiling, grilling, or other ways to cook the person in question, so as to make him as tasty as possible before eating him.

So she’s a cannibal. What’s wrong with that? smile

1. profile image0

That's someone who really knows how to serve men.

Hi, Sanny:

If, by what you say, conscience is something acquired or learned, then what does it stem from?  If you say surroundings, then what provides the influence via surroundings to pervade conscience into our cranial structures - if it wasn't already there to start with?

1. sannyasinman profile image61
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For me, there is a difference between conscience and consciousness.

Some say that consciousness is what we really are. This consciousness is eternal and cannot be destroyed. Everything that we experience and know exists within this, and our individuated consciousness is actually a part of everything else. For example, it takes a new born baby quite some time before it realises that it has an identity which is separate from the other "stuff" around it. Initially it thinks that itself, mother, chair, table etc, are all the same without boundaries. Quantum physics is now starting to prove that this is true, on the level of energy and vibration.

So in my opinion, conscience is a human component which affects our thoughts and behaviour and dies when we die. It is learnt along with everything else we know. 

Consciousness however has no conscience. It would be superfluous.

Conscience has to come from consciousness, or else, you wouldn't be conscious enough to even ponder the notion of where conscience stems from.  ...I think most of us agree on that.

I'm yet to figure out, by your last sentence, why you claim that conscience is the superfluity of all consciousness while consciously typing on your keypad about your thoughts of conscience.  Huh?

To say that we acquire a conscience due to our mundane path of madness on planet Earth,  is to discredit that consciousness is eternal, since you have to be conscious to have conscience.  But, by what you previously said, that would contradict your eternal theory of consciousness. 

Anyway, like I insinuated before, conscience was there all along - integrated to the fullest - due to past awareness, on this current level of existence via Homo sapiens, but this was before we all became senseless "thinking" scholars and denied such thoughts & feelings by the religion of science and by the crazed organized religions of today.

13. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years ago

In our western societies, cutting throats has become less related to survival than in some far in time and space societies. Take the Pampas, for example : next police station at 500 miles. Under those circumstances you have to solve a lot of things by yourself. Often it involves weapons and sometimes manslaughter.
      Survival instinct or its sublimations materialize very well in morals, ethics, law code.
      It's all about property and group or individual integrity.
      We are even obliged to make laws about some endangered species... survival.
      Survival is not morals. It's the number 1 law for all.
      morals is what I call a sublimation of the survival instinct which is thinner, lighter than the "killer instinct". But we keep killing ours and other species for survival, anyway.
      Cattle for beef, talibans or whatever for opium.
      Take the ten commandments. It's a perfect ethic code to start a nation. A kind of first constitution. A group had to survive their intestine wars and some behaviors that compromised the family structure, which is vital to breed and educate.
      I wrote more than enough...

Conscience has nothing to do with survival; plain and simple.
        All that reply did, was throw in the 10 commandments which could have probably been shortened to 2 or 3 commandments - which is still irrelevant to where conscience spawned from.
        But, thanks for your verbiage.
        By the way, what is wrong with killing cattle for beef/food?
        I used to be a butcher, so I naturally think it is natural to kill for food and I'm still semi-caveman, since I'm more in touch with the core of this lovely blue planet that I currently dwell on, than the typical materialistic lost individuals that spouts precarious notions.

1. profile image0

If you talk about verbiage, You're talking about your contradictory writings.
          You missed the point of ethics as sublimation of survival instinct.
          I never said that it'd be wrong to kill cattle for food. I love beef.
          And you can even kill people for food.

I thought your "commandments" spoke about "thou shall not kill" or some crap like that.  In fact, a lot of religious aficionados are vegetarian, by some crazed belief.  There is nothing ethical about surviving in that primitive fashion, in which you speak about.
            Prove it; show me my so-called "contradictory writings" when you get a chance...  wink

1. IntimatEvolution profile image70

I never realized that "thou shall not kill" was a load of sh@t.  Well...! 

Kill the babies!!

Down with innocent!!

Kill, KIll, KILL!!

wink

Sometimes the ten commandments does make good sense...  No matter whose they are.

Yeah, they were 3 hairs from being an ape.  Kill-kill, is natural.  Besides, the 10 commandments was not a very efficient use of words; not very concise...and was absolutely a supernumerary display of hogwash that could have been shortened to very few, if not a couple, so-called "commandments."  But, 10 sounds better...

1. IntimatEvolution profile image70

I can see you have no sense of humor.  Nor the clear insight to see that you went a little overboard with your posts about the commandments.  I don't care who said "thou Shalt Not KILL!", all I care about is that we don't kill.

Whatever.
                  Lets have it YOUR way........

Kill the babies!

Kill!!!tonguelollollol

I have plenty of humor, trust me. wink
                    I'm not being funny right now, since I'm yet to see your point or anyone elses that wants to bring up ancient commandments about control freaks, oops, I meant apes!
                    Why do you keep speaking about babies?
                    Do you work at an illegal abortion clinic or something?
                    big_smile

1. profile image0

With all that humour you got, I really hope your butcher tools are well kept away from you...

14. profile image50

zampano wrote:

Take the Ten Commandments. It's a perfect ethic code to start a nation. A kind of first constitution. A group had to survive their intestine wars and some behaviors that compromised the family structure, which is vital to breed and educate.
      I wrote more than enough...

Paarsurrey says:

I appreciate your point.

Thanks

15. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

sannyasinman wrote:
      For me, there is a difference between conscience and consciousness.

Some say that consciousness is what we really are. This consciousness is eternal and cannot be destroyed. Everything that we experience and know exists within this, and our individuated consciousness is actually a part of everything else. For example, it takes a new born baby quite some time before it realises that it has an identity which is separate from the other "stuff" around it. Initially it thinks that itself, mother, chair, table etc, are all the same without boundaries. Quantum physics is now starting to prove that this is true, on the level of energy and vibration.

So in my opinion, conscience is a human component which affects our thoughts and behaviour and dies when we die. It is learnt along with everything else we know. 

Consciousness however has no conscience. It would be superfluous.
      ============================================

I think I have to agree...  our concience is learned behaveior on a subconcience level, beginning while we are in the crib. The manner in which we are treated and our acceptance of this treatment or not is what governs our concience. Being punished and told that this was for bad behaveior is a  behaveioral adjustment technique imposed upon the concience mind in attempting to establish social complience.

Or something like that.

I guess it all falls back to different levels of awareness or existence, since I actually remember the "crib"...maybe some people, like myself,  just have a freaky sense of recollection.  So, that would make for at least a 99% or 99.99% "blind spot" for most Homo sapiens' recollections of their last point of transit.  Interesting...

16. profile image50

Hi friends

It comes from spirit or soul of a person; and soul is born within the fetus with a word from the Creator.

[17:86] And they ask thee concerning the soul. Say, ‘The soul is by the command of my Lord; and of the knowledge thereof you have been given but a little.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=83

Thanks

17. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

This thread gave me an idea for a new Hub, so thanks.  smile Actually, it was just a matter of my response running so long I decided to turn it into a Hub.   (I just posted it if anyone's interested.)

Your welcome!  big_smile
        Maybe I'll check it out eventually, but I can pretty well rest assured, by what you said above, it will lack laconic style and will most likely bore me to death due to the lack of terse wording.
        Have fun, though...  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)