Republicans more popular than democrats now

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (36 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

According to today's Gallup Poll, the favorable impression of democrats is the lowest in 18 years, with 41%. Republicans aren't doing much better, but they have edged out the democrats, with an approval of 42%.

http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

SO this means the majority of Americans (60 percent) think the whole system stinks.

2. ErictheGator profile image59
      ErictheGatorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

41%-42% with a 4% +/- error means it's really a virtual tie. Neither party has room to brag they both work for lobbyist's and special interest groups not the average American citizen.

3. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imagine that!  Actually, since almost 80% of Americans don't trust the government I'd say most of us don't think either groups too popular at the moment.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

OK. so I am bad at math

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I kinda think the whole system stinks!

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear!Hear!
      Hi Habee!smile

2. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I more than kinda agree.

3. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The system is fine, it's the idiots we choose to run it that is the problem!

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Howdy, sneako!

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Appears to me that this is due to the lack of credible information - people are no longer listening because most of the information is BS - rather than them not listening to their tv; and so they stay entrenched in their own 'side'.

For instance - there is clearly something going on with our environment but any discussion about climate has been mobbed by the opposition, and the more alarming issue of species extinction gets smothered with it, along with anything on the 'green' side.

This deliberate misinformation is just another way of 'burning the books'. In previous eras this was a sure sign that cycle of civilisation was coming to an end.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More liberal hypocrisy...

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

that worm is always turning, it's the wind

6. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Damned worms.

7. profile image58
    patspnnposted 14 years ago

I'm tickled the voters are so fickle

8. Danny R Hand profile image59
    Danny R Handposted 14 years ago

Here's the thing about polls. Did they ask you? They didnt ask me! So, apparently they really have no idea what they are talking about. JUST MORE PROPAGANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe more important - they pre-empt the answers with the choice and phrasing of the questions - they never ask us what WE want THEM to know do they?

1. Danny R Hand profile image59
        Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Then they use thier spin for propaganda. It would be pathetic if it didnt work.

Then the 'masses' tell us that is what they think because it has been recycled back to them through the magic box in their living rooms. It is better than propaganda because the masses really convince themselves.  I really try hard not to even think of 'the masses' as stupid, which is a kind of racism except mass-ism I suppose - but it does stretch compassion a bit.

1. Sab Oh profile image56

Let me guess, everyone falls into the category of 'the masses' but YOU and some people who agree with you, right?

2. Sab Oh profile image56

You wouldn't get very coherent or useful information if you just asked people, "So...uh, what do you think about stuff?"

9. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

It's certainly true that far too few citizens seem to do their own thinking.

On the other hand, it's more than mildly intriguing to see (for example) that no matter what Obama does, he's not been able to move the numbers on the new health care law.  Whether you like Rasmussen or believe (for example) that Gallup poll numbers are the most accurate, it's still fascinating to to note this (as published in a recent online.wsj.com article):

"In 15 consecutive Rasmussen Reports polls conducted over the past four months, the percentage of Americans that oppose the plan has stayed between 52% and 58%. The number in favor has held steady between 38% and 44%."

Looks to me like the old believe-what-the-box-tells-you syndrome might just be fading a bit in the ol' U.S. of A.....

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I for one think we are inundated with half-truths and spin to the point that's it's becoming nearly impossible to know exactly what's going on. Congress debates bills in the thousands of pages; who has time to read that? Not even congress.

This is a major change and no one can really predict how it's going to come out. Fear of the unfamiliar is a big factor. I keep trying to find a silver lining in the legislation and I...just...can't.

I miss the days when you could turn on the news and see (or hear) unfiltered unspun gritty down to earth democracy in action. Where someone could give a raw un-polished position without having a script writer or publicist around to clean it all up, dilute it, or make a gold plated turd out of it.

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

How many of you have actually been polled before? I've been polled only two times - ever - once in the last election and once since Obama became POTUS.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've gotten plenty of calls asking about what kind of toilet paper and cells phone I like...but as far as having been asked about politics...not a one.

1. Greek One profile image62
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused... why would people ask if you used cell phones to wipe you behind?

11. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if people would stop playing party politics and just vote for people that are willing to resist being bought out and do the right thing?

Vote for the person who is right for the job.

Last year's congress was a disaster.  Perfect Example:  Ron Paul's "Audit the Fed" bill which got so stuffed with garbage that even Ron Paul ended up voting against his own bill.

Vote for people who will address real issues one at a time and stop these horrible Mega Bills that are doing no one any good.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Generally agree (though I don't often agree with you, I find). But I am not sure how easy it is to find a politician who can't be bought.

1. profile image50
        AndrewRobertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is important to keep the ranks of Republicans in non-Urban areas, like counties, where State governments are closer to people and are more fiscally responsible.

There is an upcoming election in the Maryland House of Delegates. This candidate is the appropriate person for the job: Charles Jenkins.

Look at his profile: http://www.charles2010.com/

12. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I heard yesterday that some poll said 80% of Americans don't trust the government, which, to me, indicates that a whole lot of people aren't too thrilled with either Democrats or Republicans.  Democrats in power need to shape up, and Republicans in power had better watch their step as well.  This moment of favor they seem to enjoying is only because a whole lot of people "go with" whoever they find least offensive at any given moment.  hmm  If nothing else, maybe the whole lot of them will figure out they have no reason to hang onto their arrogance.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the result of lots and lots and lots of fomenting the masses by the GOP. Anti-government moods are relatively in your favor when the opposition is in power, right? They are hoping people will toss out the incumbent and vote in someone new, which means tilting the balance of power in favor of the Republicans (even though they've proven in recent history that they're incapable of governing).

13. MikeNV profile image67

Republican or Democrat it simply doesn't matter. Both parties continue to perpetuate the Fraud on the people known as the Fractional Reserve Banking system.  Both parties are bought and sold.

In 1980 the National Debt was $1 Trillion. Today it is nearing $13 Trillion and climbing.  During that time BOTH Democrats and Republicans have been in power in both the Senate and the Presidency.

Can't borrow and spend forever.  The reaper has caught up to the reckless.

So popularity is a non factor.  NO one in either party is doing anything to fix the system which has created a society of "Debt Slaves".

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're exactly right. Which is why when you're in an economic boom, you should pare down the debt. Clinton did. Bush didn't.

14. MikeNV profile image67

Bush spent like crazy.  Clinton managed to stay within budgets but still did nothing to reduce the actual National Debt Load.  Deficits are recorded based on proposed budgets not actual National Debt.

In 1980 the National Debt was approximately $1 Trillion.  It's now approaching $13 Trillion. Democrats and Republicans have been in power during this acceleration of debt.

Spend and borrow... both parties.

Blame whomever you want... the real blame lies with the system of Fractional Reserve Banking which has made "Debt Slaves" out of Americans.

I read a report that said the debt breaks down as follows:

$13 Trillion National Debt
    $26 Trillion Consumer Debt
    ----------------------------
    $39 Trillion in debt

USA Assets = $54 Trillion

So we have $15 Trillion is clear assets.

See the problem?  More debt than assets.  Americans will never have the ability to repay the existing debt.  Tax Americans at 100% and it's still not there.

So people who use scam math of debt/GDP ... are only fooling themselves.

The crash is coming and it's just a matter of when.

Debt is not capital.  The system has collapsed on itself all due to Fractional Reserve Banking which creates money out of nothing as America has leveraged it's future.

And this is not just the case in America... there are 110 Central Banks Worldwide. The EU is even more in debt.

15. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

It'll be interesting to see how much that changes over the next few years.  It'll depend, I suppose, on if we get more of the same or not.  Bush Republicans or Obama Democrats there really isn't much to choose between the two.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)