How do I get traffic for my blog?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I finally started a blog, because people had told me it was a good way to get more traffic for my Hubpages.

So now I have this blog on blogspot, and I have my Hubpages widget embedded there, but how do I get traffic for the blog?

The Google search engines act as if the blog does not exist, and it doesn't show up anywhere on relevant searches for keywords I used or even when I search for my name. That seems odd, because after all, since Google runs it, shouldn't it know about each blog on Blogger?

However, now that I look at other people's blog, many use theirs as a private diary where they seem to think that they are safe from prying eyes.

I don't seem to have mastered the blog traffic concept yet. Any ideas?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you know why I came to HubPages, Aya!  Getting traffic for a blog is much harder than getting traffic to your HubPages.  It takes a lot of work on promotion. 

Personally, I don't think having your own blog is a good way of promoting your Hubs.  You want backlinks from authority sites, and your brand new blog has no authority - and you'll have to do hours of promotion to change that.  If you're going to do all that work, you might as well promote your Hubs direct.

I do have my own websites, but I use HubPages to promote them, not the other way around - and that works.  You could do the same with your blog - but I'd start again, with a URL that reflects your subject - I had a quick look on the keyword tool and "humans-apes" could be a good one.  Assuming you're going to write about primates and how they reflect human behaviour.

That's another point - if you write about a variety of subjects, it's harder for Google to decide what your blog is about.  It has more chance of ranking if you focus in on a tight subject for the whole blog.

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I'm beginning to see that I will need to spend more time promoting the blog than the hubs.

If I decide to use the hubs to promote the blog, won't that lower my hubscore?

All my dance Hubs promote one of my websites or the other. It doesn't seem to be affecting my Hubscore!  Misha is another person who uses his Hubs (among other things) to promote his websites - it doesn't seem to be doing his scores any harm either!

Anyway,why are you worried about your Hubscore?  Your scores are only a reflection of how well you're doing - they don't help with visibility of your Hubs on search engines, or with income.

Marisa, thanks! You've cleared up what Misha is laughing about.

I can be so dense sometimes! So, I should I should just keep writing hubs, as I've been doing, only now use them to promote my blog...

2. mr williams profile image59
      mr williamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub on some advertising methods.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-advertis … s-software

I prefer to use Onlywire Bookmarklet because it freely submits your links to 30 social bookmarking websites automatically. Of course you have to sign up for every one of these services before being able to submit automatically to them. Hope this helps.
      http://onlywire.com

Thanks, Mr. Williams. I'll check it out!

3. Daddy Paul profile image64
      Daddy Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The key is back links. If you you have enough backlinks to your blog you may get more traffic than Hubpages.

4. profile image58
      kepapposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Deleted

5. englightenedsoul profile image58
      englightenedsoulposted 14 years ago

Read this hub by Ryan.  It will surely help.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Blog-Submission … ks-Traffic

6. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Thanks, Enlightened Soul, this helps!

7. englightenedsoul profile image58
      englightenedsoulposted 14 years ago

I am happy that I was able to help.  Good luck.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I have some blogs that I just have with some version of my name as the the title, but I started them as a kind of first step in organizing the writing by "theme".   I don't have comments allowed on them because although I made them public, they're just not ready for prime-time in blog terms.  I figured if someone sees them, fine - and they're just now starting to get a little traffic.

On the other hand, I have some on specific subjects (an adoption blog, specifically), and that one I got into directories, placed an add for an adoption magazine (in return for a link). 

Aya, there are all kinds of blog directories (and there's YouSayToo, which lets you put a picture of your blog and updates on there when you update it).   If your blog is about a specific subject it's easier to get into directories.  Even if it's "your writing in general", though, you can post it on YouSayToo (or other sites like that - I don't happen to know more off hand right now).  You can also post links to your blogs if you have something like a Xomba account (whether or not your blog's name is yours).  You've probably already done this, but make sure you list your blog with your Google account, where you can let them know what the writing is.   I'm still in "Phase I" with the blogs, but even so, they're picking up a little. Phase II will be making them more like real blogs.

I have my Google Reader stuff on my blogs and the other way around.   On any writing/social site that lets you post your own site/blog, that's another thing to do.  Facebook and Twitter (if you've resorted to those yet - everyone eventually seems to) are other ways (if  you do what people do on those sites, rather than (as I do) do nothing but post your stuff.  smile

A search for "free blog directories" may turn up some stuff.  A good article on a site like Associated Content (with a link in your profile to your blog) could be a beginning.

1. profile image0
        dnrkrishnan25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

fantastic.....

2. Aya Katz profile image84

Thanks, Lisa. I'm already trying to promote on Twitter and Facebook, and I did find one free blog directory, but I will check out the ones you listed, too.

I did one squib on Xomba that linked both a hub and the blog, but I suppose it's too early to see results from that.

9. mcbean profile image67
      mcbeanposted 14 years ago

If you are going to go down the blog directory path, most require a link back to their site, usually via a small button.
      As google takes website speed into account when ranking sites, having 10, 20, or 30 of these on your blog will slow it dramatically. If these directory sites ever offer a plane text link option I would choose that. Text links do not require your blog to look up an image from elsewhere as happens with each of those buttons.

just a thought.

Thanks. I'll use plain text links when I can.

10. rambrose57 profile image59
      rambrose57posted 14 years ago

You can post comments on other related blogs and forums linking back to your blog.  Just be sure to post relevant and thoughtful posts so they don't get regarded as spam.

If you don't mind doing a little writing, you can write keyword optimized articles linking back to your blog and submit them to article directories such as Ezines, GoArticles, etc.

Rambrose, thanks. I have left comments on some blogs I follow, but I'm not sure whether they've been read or not.

Is it acceptable on article directories, more so than here on Hubpages, for articles to contain links to your blog?

Aya, where did you get the idea that it's not acceptable to have links to your blog on HubPages?

It's perfectly acceptable, so long as you don't have more than two links in each Hub.   

As for article directories, many of them have similar rules about how many links you're allowed.

Is that two links to the same blog, or two links to private URLS?

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
              englightenedsoulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Two link to the same domain.  Otherwise there is no restriction.  You can interlink multiple hubs and can have external links to different sites.

Thanks, Enlightened Soul!

You're welcome.  I am glad that i was able to help.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
                    wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey there englightenedsoul .. so wonderful to see you wink How are the exams going?

Sorry for replying this late...I completely missed this thread.  Preliminary exams went good, the university exams starts from 19th.  Gosh, I would be a graduate.  Can't wait for them to get over.  I want to write more hubs and actively take part in the challenge.  Also I have to learn a lot from you.  How are you doing?

11. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years ago

he-he. Hi Aya smile

Hi, Misha! What's so funny?

1. Misha profile image64
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think recognizing the questions that were burning to myself at some point smile

Ah! You mean, once, long, long ago, you, too, had the same questions?

12. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 14 years ago

There are plenty of ways to increase both blogger and hubpages traffic, I am actually writing up a new guide at http://www.traffictomyblog.com

The real key is a mixture of backlinking, SEO, and good keyword targeting.

13. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yep, and not too long ago smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)