Man survives without food, water for 65 yrs

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (52 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 14 years ago

hey guys check this out...

The 82-year old Prahlad Jani claims he has lived without food or water for the last 65 years. Jani's incredible story has prompted a team of scientists to do a study on him. The team comprises top doctors from the Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS)

1. mythbuster profile image70
      mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Got a title for the headline of this story, where you found this information? I'm interested in learning more about this. It seems incredible but I'm totally not above checking for updates on this story...

Interesting claims.

1. profile image0
        crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The first google hit is this thread.  If this were indeed even only being considered worthy of scientific investigation, it is my opinion that the first google hit would not be the hubpages forum that talks about it lol

That being said, many throughout history have claimed to have gone "without food and water for x years," some have been proven false, others have left scientists stumped.

There is a lot about the human body we know little about, it wouldn't surprise me the least if this turned out to be true.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Impossible

pisean282311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

quite right..it seems impossible but team of 35 docs are researching on him..

"He is able to generate urine in his bladder. And at his will, he is able to re-circulate in his body. This is exceptional in the medical world,” said Dr Sudhair Shah..

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Human beings can only go about three days without ingesting any fluids, and can survive only about three weeks without ingesting any food. 

Everyone's bladder "generates" urine, that's what the bladder does.  And since urine is a waste fluid, it empties outside the body, and it cannot be recirculated internally, unless you decide to drink it.  The human body is not a balanced and closed eco-system.  We lose nutrients and fluids that must be replenished from external sources.  So even if you did drink your own urine, you'd still be in a fluid-loss scenario that would lead to dehydration, kidney shut-down and eventual death.  Not to mention the body would wind up consuming its own muscle trying to get protein to survive.  All this stuff is well-documented medically.

I once read that the definition of ignorance was the willing rejection of verified facts, and this situation fits that definition.

3. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Old Prahlad Jani knows very well that he is telling a lie. And its too sad there are 35 men who call themselves doctors beside him.

4. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

Perhaps he has skills in Photosynthesis! yikes

ha ha ha...

2. Dense profile image61
      Denseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good explanation big_smile

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years ago

Hmm, how much are the ring-side seats selling for?!!

well no tickets...its military thing right now...may be starving is way to make entry smile

6. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

The guy is 82. He probably has alzheimers and can't remember eating in the last 65 years.

ha ha ha...

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Have they tried planting his feet to see if he'll grow? smile

lol

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

umm, I better not say it....

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok...that's probably wise on your part...but I can't resist. If they do discover that his bladder regenerates urine (huh...whatever?)...that would make this guy either full of p_ss...and /or full of (the other word).

2. mythbuster profile image70
      mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh, just say it ralwus, you know you want to...you'll feel better if you do!

9. Ashmi profile image59
    Ashmiposted 14 years ago

This is not the first such case to be recorded. Yogi's through various prolonged and special training can do many, what we would consider impossible feats. To ridicule what we do not understand is ignorance par excellence!

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Transcending is one thing. But it's highly unlikely that what is being reported is accurate, either by the man himself or the way the media has told it. If what this man reported is true, then it makes the case of Christ's miracles, resurrection and atonement more plausible, which is really only unexplainable magic.  I'll wait for the media to report what's really going on.

1. Ashmi profile image59
        Ashmiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure we can rely on what the media reports as being true or not but yes; best to wait and see what the scientists say. There are so many things unexplainable that to simply deny their validity is to be short-sighted in my opinion. However; this does not mean we should believe whatever is told us...and this includes what scientists say and especially the media LOL

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And blind belief in tall stories isn't? smile

10. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I bet he's real cute!

11. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

It's highly unlikely, and i would like an independent scientist to verify.

From my own knowledge, I would say it was impossible, no nutrients, water required for bodily functions and nutrition absorption and so forth, but my medical knowledge doesn't go far past what I learned in high school.

1. Ashmi profile image59
      Ashmiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is an old yogi technique of swallowing air. Those who have done the necessary training are said to eat only air; they also absorb nutrients via the skin.....

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I see a double-dose of flatulence in your posts. smile

2. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
        Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do they get calories from air as well?

12. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

"Man survives without food, water for 65 yrs"

No, no he didn't!

13. N. Ramius profile image72
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

An easy way to prove it. Simply follow him for 2 weeks. If he croaks, then he was faking.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What if he just reached the end of the 65 year period that he could go without eating or drinking? HA HA

14. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

If it were possible for life to survive without food or water then it would already be doing it somewhere in abundance. After all, what would be the purpose for expending needless energy to get food and water if it wasn't necessary?

Cells need energy to survive so he's getting his energy somehow. However (playing devil's advocate) he might have found some means by which he could derive energy without passing any food or water through his mouth. This guy has a secret or he's a fraud ... or both. That's why scientists are showing an interest, as they are hoping there's a secret to be learned ...

15. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

I have survived 60 years without Gummy bears!

1. amberlyne profile image58
      amberlyneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yikes

16. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

63 years.. ok.. that we can believed..  if you have a REALLY big meal I guess it can last for a while.....

but 65??  Who does he think he is fooling?

17. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Not only has Prahlad Jani survived for 65 years without food or water, he also recently discovered Noah's Ark on a mountain in Turkey.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

.... and credits his remarkable abilities to survive on his encounter with Jesus as a child when the former was visiting India

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you have to admit, the HP forums could win some awards on outlandish forum titles/threads! lol

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. It's a "News of the Weird" with commentary wink

18. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Actually the first google hit is an IBN link to the article about the man. There are a few sites that talk about the man, but hubpages forum thread is top on the searches about it though.

Here's the youtube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBz-VbMMQY

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee106/goReptiles/yogi_crash_620.jpg

I do agree with relache, this is silly and there's no way. I'd quite be interested in seeing the results, though, but honestly, I doubt it'll come up with much of anything other than 'dude lies.' He snuck snickers bars or something.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there's a !#@@# Mars bar wrapper right there to his right!

come on!

19. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

If people can believe cars can run on water as fuel, they can also believe man can run on air as food. The problem is that it took 65 years to come up with this claim.

20. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

This notion is ludicrous and preposterous...  Where would "it" get the energy to produce body heat for 65 years without any caloric intake?  ...This is absolutely absurd!

21. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

There was a girl in 19th century Uk who claimed she never ate or drank.  Church officials investigated and stayed with her 24/7.  It turns out one of her sisters was bunging her stuff when no one else was about.  Believers were very disappointed.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In fact, there was a rash of these girls, who claimed to be sustained by the Holy Spirit alone.  Collectively, they were known as "the fasting girls."  They all either died, or were proved to be frauds.

1. sannyasinman profile image59
        sannyasinmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This has nothing to do with religion, or "holy" anything.

This man, if he is really doing what he says, is probably being sustained by prana, or chi. The energy, or life force, that surrounds and flows through every living thing, and which can be seen as our "aura" (scientists take note: this can now be protographed via Kirlean photography).

22. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

According to the report, he was kept from April 22nd to May 6th and did not eat, drink or go to the toilet once during the time.
    So that means either:

A. He did it
    B. The 35 doctors and researchers that watched him are all idiots and he fooled them.
    C. The Defense Institute of Physiology & Allied Science (DIPAS) is lying.

DIPAS does "physiological and biomedical research to improve human performance in extremes environments and wartime environments", so I would think they would be smart enough not to be taken in.
    And why would DIPAS lie about their results?

Or maybe...
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

23. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

maybe he isn't eating through his mouth, but the other end like Eric Cartman, on S.P.

1. mythbuster profile image70
      mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, yes - the Cartman diet!

24. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

I won't believe this until my lord and savior Barak H. Obama tells me it's true... right of the teleprompter.

25. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

You know, that statement was completely ridiculous and unwarranted, because you obviously have problems with the President. Is it necessary for you to bring him into every conversation? roll

26. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

Because we don't understand it, and can't explain it, does not make it automatically either impossible or untrue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)