Saving America...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (35 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

to kneel in prayer daily for the saving of America, as Washington did at Valley Forge, may be the only way....(besides keeping our slings and arrows quivered hmm )

blessings and peace to all

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Isn't interesting to know that congress was responsible for printing the first English language bible in this country for "use in our schools", and now you can't even say God in school?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that so? You got a source on that?
        Or is it like the legend about Washington kneeling in prayer at valley forge, and cutting down a cherry tree as a boy, and throwing a dollar across the Potomac?

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, well, we could all do that, but whose prayers would be answered?  Mine (IF I were to pray)?  Yours?  Brenda Durham's?

We don't seem to agree on what it means to "save America."

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

See, this is what gets me.  People want to dilute and/or deny who God really is.

The original post said "as Washington did at Valley Forge".
        Obviously, he was praying to God. 
        Not some wishy-washy definiton of God or some made-up "god", but to the Almighty.

THAT's what will save America if it's salvageable.

And yes, that one's MY God.

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Brenda, we already know you're narcissistic enough to believe you own the truth for everyone, through God, of course.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73

"People want to dilute and/or deny who God really is." I don't think anybody was trying to dilute or deny who God is.

"The original post said "as Washington did at Valley Forge".
          Obviously, he was praying to God.  "

Except, there's no contemporary evidence (I'm talking primary sources here) that Washington ever got down on his knees and prayed so ostentatiously as in that painting, which, BTW, was done in 1976. Or perhaps you're thinking of the engraving from 1866? Either way, decades after the fact, and no contemporary source corroborates this story. In fact, Washington's own writings, and the writings of his contemporaries, indicate that Washington was very unlikely ever to have prayed on his knees; he didn't like the idea of kneeling for any reason.

Perhaps Washington did pray while encamped at Valley Forge. In fact, he probably did. But did he do it on his knees, in the snow? Almost certainly not, based on his own writings.

1. profile image0

There's a lot of information on questions like this at a site called Wallbuilders.
            A man named David...something..(I don't recall his last name right now) has devoted a site to researching and examining the words and the intent of the Founding Fathers.  Very informative for those who don't have the time personally or the access to research it all.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73

I googled Wallbuilders.
              Ell. Oh. Ell.

It's chock full of info-tainment, I can tell, especially with the prominent "As seen on Glenn Beck" advert. I look forward to many hours of enjoyable reading.

1. livelonger profile image86
                livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. It's so ludicrous that I wonder if it isn't satire like Landover Baptist...

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
              Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apparently Washington was a deist, which means he wasn't a typical Christian. He may or may not have believed in the divinity of Christ. That seems unclear. He, along with several other of the founding fathers, believed in something greater than themselves, which they referred to as "God" but it's unclear to what extent they believed in mainstream religion.

He may or may not have kneeled in prayer. That's not clear, either.

We made romantic super-heroes out of a lot of the founding fathers. I'm not lessening the importance of their work and wisdom, just trying to shed a little fact.

I'm certainly not against anyone praying for the welfare of this country. However, it seems a little wiser to pray for the welfare of humanity, which would smack far less of American superiority and elitism.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
                Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good post, Gramps. wink

3. JWestCattle profile image60
      JWestCattleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, SparklingJewel, for a shining topic........one day I hope the saving of America is once again a unified and coherent goal, and the separation of Church and State is again recognized as not anti-Christianity or anti-religion in our schools or our government, but instead the acceptance of a variety of religions, and the ever presence of each individual's Higher Power, if they choose to call on or believe.  And children can sing Silent Night without the threat of jail time for themselves or their parents or their teachers.

4. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kneeling is an expression of penitence and is the truest form of personal prayer.

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I do that every night! I also pray for the POTUS and all our leaders.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am just wondering. If I am going to pray for all sinners in North America (not covering old ones from my own country), when I am going to sleep?

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahahahaha!!!

1. errum fattah profile image60
          errum fattahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my prediction;
                     America inshahllah will soon be finished or maybe another country will become a super power, Cuz they had made thier own Quran which is called al-furqan, and one who did this mess will taste a bad and very bad punishment frm God. didn't believed me? ok...i dont care....just wait and watch wat's coming to America..

BeSt Of LuCk AmErIcAnS    cool

1. profile image0
            Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you're supposed to be a journalist? Do you know what a journalist is? You sound more like an Imam, not that there's anything wrong with that.

1. errum fattah profile image60
              errum fattahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its my prediction  and  hubpages had given me alrights to express my expressions, rather its true or fake.

And y r scared, am not goinn to finish ur "lovely", "peacefull" and " great" country... just predicting abt the God's punishment...

Dont worry!

1. profile image0

You're right about one thing.   If America fails, it will be because it has begun to radically defy God.   Not your "Allah".

When a nation's morality goes down the drain, the economy and other things follow.

One of those reasons is also because America has progressively allowed your "lovely", "peaceful" and "great" religion to invade its shores and churches and homes.   Wanna hear my "prediction" as to how God will deal with Islamists?   Or r u scared?

2. profile image0
                Madame Xposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, it isn't hubpages that gives you freedom of speech - it is the American Constitution. You know, that little document that makes us America smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
            Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We're all in this together. The economic meltdown was a pretty good indicator that when one country falls, it's a chain reaction. Enjoy the journey.

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

I have to agre with you errum. It is a good thing that Obama apologized for our wrongs...there have been many.
    Ignoring them just makes us look foolish and arrogant.
    It's one thing not to know, but there is no excuse when you do.

We have done horrible, sadistic things.
    We are responsible for many innocent deaths.

No more or less than many other countries, but we are talking about this one.
    Our destiny, which we all must pay for.
    The mistakes and unspeakable done in our name, spilling our blood, using our money....

Pride goes before a fall---our only hope of redemption is truth and reconciliation, imo.

1. profile image0

Obama is a fool.
      He couldn't rightly apologize for America if he tried, because he's committing even greater affronts for it and from his seat at the White House.

Example is his backing of the infanticide of millions of unborn babies, an American holocaust perpetuated upon generations by the selfish ones who only want to do what they want.  In addition to doing it that way, he advocates gay rights which is an additional way of keeping future generations from being born. It doesn't get anymore "sadistic" than that.

We should treat our enemies that way, instead of killing off our future generations.

2. errum fattah profile image60
      errum fattahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good mind....lovemychris....

I think i found a one intelligent man in this hub pages.

1. Buck Steiner profile image58
        Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you actually acquire a Hubscore of 1?

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I have no problem with the separation of Church and State. When I was teaching, we had a moment of silence each morning. Students could pray silently to God, Allah, or the jolly green giant. They could daydream. They could think about their date from the night before. They could rest their eyes. And yes, even in our small town, we had several muslim students. I taught several of them, and they were wonderful!

5. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Well, you know, I have this generic prayer, that seems to work, at least for me, at least for now...

the Lord's prayer....

give us this day our daily bread and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us...

It seems to work okay for me...

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

People, come on...is daily bread not enough for you???????

6. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Or do you  want to fight????

7. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Pro 23:23  Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

What's ludicrous about a person researching writings by the Founding Fathers?

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wallbuilders has long been known as revisionists. Which is really just a nice word for liars.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)