- Diet & Weight Loss
How To Successfully Manage Weight Loss For Obese Children
Healthy Baby Is Happy Baby
Today, most children and adolescents in the age group 6-19 are in the overweight group and on their way to becoming obese for life, shown by surveys conducted by health and nutrition government agencies. What's more their numbers are growing at a rapid pace, sending alarm bells. Being obese means being condemned for life with diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and most importantly, cardiac diseases. Obesity in childhood is one of the major cause for children suffering from diabetes and heart disease. Shorter life span is the result !
Yes, so who is responsible ? It is the duty of parents to provide for their children and also see that they do not overdo it. It is important that parents are role models themselves for their children who watch them closely at home. And that includes food habits.
What are the risk factors for obesity ?
Poor Nutrition: Overweight & obese children are generally seen eating junk food, that are low or nil on nutrition and high on calories. Soda and all aerated drinks also compound the problem. Fried and fatty food add upto the calorie intake.
According to age and height, there is a certain recommended calorie intake and certain foods to be included on a daily basis to meet the developing body's requirement for essential vitamins and minerals, but in the case of obese children, these are not being provided by the food eaten as they are the wrong kind of food.
Physical InActivity: Overweight children tend to usually be lazy and shun physical activity of any kind. They end up as couch potatoes, and are less sociable.
Genetics: Most often, it is seen that the family has a history of obesity.
Lack of Sleep: Contrary to belief, sleeplessness also causes obesity.
Among the above, nothing can be done to change the genetics, but surely, the other 3 can be minimized and totally rid off over time, to see a healthier, energetic child looking forward to a healthy adulthood.
Most parents are not even aware that their child may be overweight, therefore, it is first extremely important for you as parents to take charge and visit the pediatrician for a BMI check. Or you can calculate using the BMI Calculator with the child's height and weight. Based on your result, your child can be categorized as underweight, optimum weight, overweight, or obese.
If your child is in the overweight or obese bracket, it would be worthwhile to work with a registered dietitian and the doctor, to shed those extra pounds. It is seen that 70 % of all obese adolescents grow up into obese adults.
Healthy Eating For Children
Weight Loss For An Obese Child Or Adolescent
Setting healthy goals for weight loss is essential but working closely with a registered dietitian and doctor is absolutely necessary to attain these. The dietitian usually gives specific advice on what must be eaten in order to be more healthier while losing some weight. Proper physical exercise will be advised and for what duration. A child or adolescent will need the parent's guidance and support in achieving weight loss goals, particularly as they go through phases of low self esteem at this point.
Top 10 Ways To Help My Child Achieve His Weight Loss Goal
- Encourage your child to take up physical activity that he/she likes for atleast an hour a day.
- Monitor the time spent in front of the television ,and computer or a video game. Allow only 2 hours a day.
- Find out how many calories he actually needs to consume in a day and seeing that he sticks by it.
- Stop stocking processed food (they are full of preservatives), carbonated sugary drinks, junk food in the refrigerator.
- Make sure he gets his 5 servings a day of fresh fruits and vegetables. Look for good recipes that encourage this without adding too much fat.
- Look for healthy snack alternatives such as a glass of toned milk, a fruit or sandwich made from wholewheat bread and lean poultry.
- Make sure your child always gets a good nights rest - toddlers need to sleep the longest, adolescents need to sleep 9 hours and those in age group 6-12 need atleast 10-11 hours.
- Teach your child to make healthy food choices even when eating out rather than opt for junk food that's readily available.
- Above all be a good role model and stick to the healthy eating options always. Shun SUPERESIZE ME offers eat normal portions along with your child. Both of you will end up happier and healthier with loads of energy to do all the fun things for a lifetime.
- And once optimum weight is achieved through your weight loss program, do not allow the child to go back to unhealthy eating patterns and wrong food choices. This is absolutely important as many tend to put back all the lost weight if not monitored. Weight management should therefore be a lifestyle modification for a healthier and longer life.
Never use the word "DIETING", on your child, only encourage healthy eating and healthy living with proper weight management. It will serve you well to include the whole family in this as you make healthy eating choices together and engage in using recipes that call for more veggies and fruits, lean meats, lean poultry, fish, low fat milk products and eggs.
Fun Activities For Children
My Other Helpful Health Hubs
- Top 20 Beauty And Skin Care Products For Summer
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder,but looking after one's skin to remain beautiful all the time takes a bit of time, and consistent care in spite of our daily schedules. Irrespective of skin and hair...
- Bringing Up An Only Child
Your first bundle of JOY! And the only one! Whatever the reason for you to opt for an only child, giving it the best is all you care to think about. Whether you are a single parent, or whether the child is...
- Parents As Role Models
A good role model is one that 'walks the talk'. In other words they also 'practice what they preach'. This is particularly true with respect to parents, teachers and elders who are in the company of...
- Mobile Phone For Your Child-Boon Or Bane?
Cell phone users are growing every minute in every part of the globe and the user is getting younger. The cell phone and service provider advertisements are increasingly being targeted at the children, teens...
- Bedding Collections For Kids
Decorating kids rooms are time consuming especially if you have a child you dote on. Yes, your little prince /princess deserves the very best, and so also the room he/she spends most of her/his time. Choosing...
- Herbal Homemade Face Packs For That Radiant Wrinklefree Skin
Yes, beauty is all about how we present ourselves, well dressed and articulate, be it an interview, a party, your colleagues, or just for your own self esteem. To be confident, it is therefore extremely...
- Tips For Spiritual Growth
Man is made up of three parts-body,mind and spirit.As with body and mind,so with the spirit.Feeding and nurturing the body with proper nutrition and exercise makes for great health.The mind needs exercises to...
- How To Cut Disease Risk With These 4 Healthy Habits
Longevity in some remote parts of the world is an accepted norm, and researchers love to find out what keeps them disease free as well. No known disease stalks those who live more than a 100 years and they...
- Diet Changes For Effective Weight Loss
Scientific evidence shows that we are indeed eating three to four times our normal requirement.And so,we have many who are obese.Even children are more obese today than children of yesteryears.So,how do we...
- Top 20 Successful Tips On Dieting
Get the figure you always craved for,and be the envy of all!!!The following guidelines are sure to be an eyeopener and serve as motivation for those looking for a healthy way to diet.No guilt! Don't "Go On...
- Acupressure Sandals For Overall Health
Did you know that your feet hold the key to your overall energy and well being? Absolutely! Apart from providing you balance as you walk or run, the feet can be the right place to bring relief to most...
- Stroke Risk In Women-Causes And Prevention
Stroke is a No.1 killer of women,and creating awareness is imperative. Before we understand the symptoms of a stroke,let us understand what a stroke is and why it occurs. The brain needs a continual blood...
- Six Super Health Foods For All Women
A woman's nutritional habits determine her life span and also her overall health and well being. A woman needs to care for herself in terms of health, personal hygiene, positive mental outlook, look good,...
- Top 100 Best Foods For Higher Productivity
What exactly are antioxidants and how are they important to us? Antioxidants are substances that protect our cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when our bodies...
- What You Should Know About Female Heart Attacks
Your heart is working to keep you enjoying life.But,are you striving to keep your heart healthy?Are you aware of the risk factors you face?Are you making conscious choices towards a healthier lifestyle?How...
- High Protein Diet Weight Loss
The No.1 New Year resolution every year is,"I want to lose weight!" Of all the resolutions that people think of,this is one goal every one wants to keep at the beginning of the year.They are ready to make the...
- Healthy Eating With Fruits and Vegetables
Vegetables and fruits should definitely be part of one's diet,whether you eat meats or not.They are the ones that supply your body of essential vitamins ,minerals and micronutrients that help the smooth...
- Top 10 Herbal Remedies For Dandruff Treatment
As an Indian homemaker for the past 25 years, I have had immense satisfaction in using herbal home remedies for various illnesses or symptoms of common ailments, for members of my household. These remedies...
- Top 5 Junk Food To Avoid
While on the go or a force of habit,overweight and obese individuals testify that they have had too much of the following junk food.Some resort to these foods everyday or every meal ,sometimes a combination...
- Penile Implant-Is This The Answer To Erectile Dysfunction
A man's love life is directly linked to his erections. Every man often worries that he may not be able to satisfy his woman in bed. So, what is erectile dysfunction and how does one prevent or cope with it? ...
- Walk Your Way To Fitness Not Just Weight Loss
Weight Loss and dieting are the top new year resolutions every year according to surveys around the world. The holidays & Christmas feasting begins to show on one's abs & the quest to find a quick & easy way...
- 10 Super Brain Foods For Your Kids
Do you want your kids to do well in school?Do you want them to be good in sports and music as well?It certainly pays to take a look at the daily diet given. Are your children getting proper nutrition and at...
- Eye Stye-What Can I Do About It
"Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder",so goes the saying. We love to look ,feel and dress beautiful.We act more positive and are more successful when we like what we see in the mirror before we step out....
- The Dangers Of Using A Red Lipstick
Lipstick is one of the most favoured cosmetic of any woman.Every ladies' handbag if randomly checked will invariably hold a lipstick pouch. Ask a lady to name one cosmetic that she will not miss out on,and...
- The Correct Way To Eat Fruits For Optimum Nutrition
Fruits, are those bright, juicy natural wonders with a rich supply of nutrient goodness for you and me available according to season and the part of the world one resides in. "An apple a day keeps the doctor...