What is the easiest way to get happy again when you are depressed?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Earl S. Wynn profile image80
    Earl S. Wynnposted 13 years ago

What is the easiest way to get happy again when you are depressed?

2. carlmikael profile image59
    carlmikaelposted 13 years ago

Break your state of mind and do something so silly so you'll laugh your ass off, humour is the key to happiness

3. drdspervez profile image71
    drdspervezposted 13 years ago

Remember happy moments of your life. Think positive and try to please yourself by going out or reading any good book or watching a funny movie.

DR. DURRESHAHWAR PERVEZ

4. cookibuq profile image62
    cookibuqposted 13 years ago

Turn on the music and dance !
    works everytime big_smile

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

Hookers, alcohol, music, amphetamines. . . . .yep, I think I listed what works for me here.

6. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 13 years ago

Strangely enough, when I'm angry or sad I listen to Al Green's greatest hits or some Motown Music and in no time my depression evaporates.

7. Max Stein profile image61
    Max Steinposted 13 years ago

Try changing up your daily schedule with doing activities that make you happy and will keep you busy.

8. Neverletitgo profile image62
    Neverletitgoposted 13 years ago

Be faithful, that is the best way to my idea.

9. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 13 years ago

Exercise is a quick fix when you're feeling down. Try to get out in the sunshine and go for a walk or run or go swimming. It will lift your mood and make you feel good.

10. cockrelle profile image60
    cockrelleposted 13 years ago

Some times as tough at it is you must look at things logically and move on through whatever is keeping you down. Look closely at what needs to change and work in that direction.

11. SEOInternetGeek profile image55
    SEOInternetGeekposted 13 years ago

I will visualize happy moments which gave me happiness this gives me a way to instantly come out of depression ... actually this technique fools my brain to think that i am happy.. also try to use music to visualize happy moments or use the same music that you have listened during happy moments...

so to sum it up...
    Visualize.................being happy smile

12. profile image0
    jasper420posted 13 years ago

do something productive something that will make you feel like you have acomplished something go on make yourself proud

13. barby2kool profile image63
    barby2koolposted 13 years ago

Being depressed doesn't happen very often in my life.  I tend to  find humor in almost every situation, much to the annoyance of my friends and family. The easiest way for me felling happy again when I'm depressed is to watch some real funny comedy, that usually works for me all the time.

14. Beani profile image59
    Beaniposted 13 years ago

Well, what I like too do is eat chocolate. It makes me feel beeter when I'm down.  Or watching funny movies big_smile

15. mkvealsh profile image59
    mkvealshposted 13 years ago

Try to do nice things for other people.  When you think of others and not yourself, you tend to be happier.

16. dragonlady1967 profile image68
    dragonlady1967posted 13 years ago

Open your curtains and let the sun shine in.  Or you can turn the radio up in your car on a long drive and sing your heart out....has to be happy songs though....NO love songs or mellow mood music....something Peppy.

17. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years ago

Sing praises unto God...this will change everything......

18. profile image49
    josethposted 13 years ago

go out meet new people, talking to new friends often takes your mind off things.

19. Ruchira profile image72
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

Exercising and singing out loud even if you suck...truely helps build up one's momentum.

20. crazymom3 profile image69
    crazymom3posted 13 years ago

Get up, get dressed, go buy your favorite pie and eat it with a nice warm cup of milk.  Pick up a movie(comedy) or read some funny stuff on the web  and get laughing!! If you have seasonal depression like me, decorate your room with bright colors and plenty of light.

21. Kind Regards profile image67
    Kind Regardsposted 13 years ago

I hate to be simplistic, but it's what's worked for me - Figure out the problem and get rid of it.

22. Airikah profile image60
    Airikahposted 13 years ago

help someone else. knowing someone is worse off and we have nothing to be sad for. thinking of something that was good in my life helps, family, children, grandbaby, friends, funny events, or great memories...

23. rishworld profile image68
    rishworldposted 13 years ago

nobody can think good that time ,,, thats y v call it depression ....
    try shopping  therapy ..i mean go n buy ur favorite thing..... go n eat somthing u lyk....
    Just try!!!!!
    i knw it works..........

24. Syrusv37 profile image81
    Syrusv37posted 13 years ago

There is a study that has been done that says if you look up towards the sky for three seconds it can get rid of a negative thought. As for depression, I used to get depressed a lot and I realized the more that I was left alone by myself in a room or without anyone around me, the more my mind focused on my depression and the deeper I sank in. The key is to keep yourself busy, keep people around you, and no matter what when you are depressed, do not play sad music and be alone by yourself. The depression will worsen and it will feel impossible to drag yourself out of the hole you are in.

25. marksmommy profile image58
    marksmommyposted 13 years ago

well ive been on zoloft for 2 years now and its been a blessing honestly im so much better it didnt happen overnight but each day the fog was becoming clearer.but everyone is different i dont know if you like counseling,but try to surround your self with positive people,meditate,yoga,listen to soothing music theyres lots of options.find the one thats right for you.

26. OpticIllusions profile image74
    OpticIllusionsposted 13 years ago

I know this may be horrible but retail therapy really works for me! I try to focus on myself and improve an immediate problem whether it be financial, emotional, or physical. I try to engage myself in artistic de-stressors such as writing, singing, playing the piano, drawing or craft. If I need an immediate pick up I'll call a friend to go out. If it is long term then I call my therapist to get on meds ASAP! Hope that helps Earl!

27. yolanda yvette profile image60
    yolanda yvetteposted 13 years ago

Focus on things you're thankful for.  You can't stay depressed if you're busy being thankful.

28. drperetz profile image39
    drperetzposted 13 years ago

Happiness is defined by many in ways that might not inspire you. My way that I will soon talk about in my new book called " Secrets to high self-esteem and Secrets to intimate pleasures" I speak of become aware of self love. Something that we forget to do in this world. Our busy lives don't allow us to be free. Find self freedom, let loose all your restrains. See how nature is naturally revealing its petals of light into you.

Meditation is a good way to see the light. And I literally mean light in any form. You can see light as a point of inspiration or as physical photon entering your retina. You have to realize you are in control of your own destiny and even if your destiny is defined the purpose for your existence is infinite. you have a purpose that nature is willing to let you in on a secret. its you will to take this knowledge and use it for its very purpose which is to enlight.

29. profile image58
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Think about what might have triggered the mood. Too much sugar or caffeine? Then do any of the suggestions already listed. I think about something positive -- like buying a new $500 watch.

30. profile image0
    Word Showerposted 13 years ago

As someone who has struggled with depression for a long time, I can tell you definitively, that there is no definitive answer to this question, however, what seems to have worked best for me, is to be around people who love and care for you, or going for long walks, preferably with a bag of crumbs to feed any pigeons one might come across, as the joy in knowing one has contributed towards sustaining life, even for the briefest period, can lift one's spirits.

Oh, also, "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by Dr. David Burns is an enlightening read on drug-free treatment for depression, but if anyone is on anti-depressant medication, they should consult with their GP before discontinuing it.

31. charkamman profile image61
    charkammanposted 13 years ago

My own personal trick is to do a round of EFT on whatever did make me depressed in the first place: it is often a thought which triggers a chain of negativity.
    Works for me, I can do it everywhere and it's fast.
    Exercise also helps, and going in the sun, but isn't always possible!

32. Lovielynn profile image59
    Lovielynnposted 13 years ago

Put on some tunes and rock out! Or gather my kids and have some silly time!

33. MoneyCreator24 profile image57
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

One wonderful working way is to affirm following sentence and get into it with all your emotions:

"I am on earth to be loved, to be valued and to be adored."

Say this again and again to yourself and fill it with emotions. You need to be convincing.

And than ... go for a walk. Walking at fresh air make your mind free and good thoughts will come. If you want to get out of adepression you need to move your body. Good thoughts only come while moving. When you´re moving it is simply impossible to think dark thoughts because they will make you stop.

It is a reciprocal effect of moving and thinking.

34. profile image60
    BestConcernsposted 13 years ago

Drink water;take a bath and visit a friend that you have neglected for long.

35. giselle2323 profile image60
    giselle2323posted 13 years ago

I have a little book called Be Happy written by Monica Sheehan.  I open it up to any page and start to read. It instantly cheers me up!

36. khoopy profile image56
    khoopyposted 13 years ago

Get the hell out of the house and stay away for a few days or weeks

37. profile image58
    Cherry Blossomsposted 13 years ago

Emotion is a state of mind.. Everyday we are confronted with various feelings that will define our day. Yet despite of how depressed we may feel, find it in your heart and mind the reason to be happy like your family, loved ones and friends who are there to cheer you up and the fact that we are alive each day to make the most out of it. So why waste your time feeling down and melancholic. So decide to be happy!

38. Nicole N profile image60
    Nicole Nposted 13 years ago

Thinking of all the things I am grateful for - hard to feel down when I feel so blessed, watching a funny movie, helping others, and going running.  My thoughts on depression is that it is being too wrapped up in yourself and your issues, too serious about life, and paying too much attention to ineffective thoughts that disempower you.  Switch your thoughts by switching your focus - internally and externally.

39. Vusal profile image61
    Vusalposted 13 years ago

little physical activity can help. as mentioned before exercise can be a quick fix.

40. heather.h profile image61
    heather.hposted 13 years ago

sing or stand in a light rain looking at the sky. Sounds strange but it is so calm and peaceful and makes you realise that things are good.

41. fxdaddy profile image59
    fxdaddyposted 13 years ago

Stand up straight, look in the mirror and smile the biggest smile you can...even if you don't feel like smiling.  Do that for 5 minutes straight.  Sounds corny but try it.

42. Karen Wodke profile image67
    Karen Wodkeposted 13 years ago

It's the last thing a depressed person wants to do, but my answer is to get up and do SOMETHING. Take a shower, put on nice clean clothes, and then go do something. This is much harder than it sounds for a depressed person.

43. chasemillis profile image68
    chasemillisposted 13 years ago

This may seem a little random but get a dog! I can't tell you how many times my golden retriever has cheered me up on gloomy days!! If you can't afford the food and all, I guess this won't work. But getting a dog can be one of the best decisions you make in a while. And the best part is, they never judge anyone at any time at all. They just always love you!

44. moneycop profile image61
    moneycopposted 12 years ago

Just as you sleep when you are tired and get energy within.Take rest of that cause which is creating the depression. Don't think of that matter any more , let it sleep a bit.And divert your mind in some constructive thing and you will recover soon

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)