jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)

What do you think about Weight Watchers?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

What do you think about Weight Watchers?

Does this group really help people a lot? I had been thinking about joining at one point.

2. lawretta profile image77
    lawrettaposted 6 years ago

I think its a waste. If you want to lose weight, watch/control what you eat, yourself!.

3. robie2 profile image97
    robie2posted 6 years ago

I've done Weight Watchers half a dozen times in 20 years. I never reach goal but always go back because the program works. New Points plus or old exchanges, it's about being honest and accountable. read more

4. ThePracticalMommy profile image94
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

A few years ago, a few colleagues and I started a WW group at work. It was great because we were all motivated to do well with the program, seeing how others in the group were losing weight. We also were able to share workout ideas and recipe ideas.

That year, I lost 20lbs. After I had my second baby, I did a psuedo WW program by myself and lost 30lbs.

It works because it holds you accountable for what you put in your body and helps you to make healthy choices while at the same time not restricting the kinds of things you eat. If you want a piece of pizza you could have it but it would be more points than a salad with toppings. Or, you could modify the pizza recipe so that the points are lower. It's a really flexible program!

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

WW in my opinion, is a safe, sensible and practical program for healthy weight-loss.  It's a "teaching" program for those whose eating and exercize habits have not been the best or most beneficial to them. 
    WW is not as restrictive as most other weight loss programs, not as expensive and a great point is that the dieter uses their own food supply and the whole family can be included, without difficulty.  This makes grocery shopping simple, meals prep, nothing out of the ordinary.   WW, when followed properly and wroked as suggested, is very successful.

6. rlaha profile image69
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

You know? My husband and I were thinking about joining Weight Watchers this month as well.  However, with the varied feedback on it from the answers here, I am wondering how effective it really is?  Now I am confused.  If you get a good answer, please let me know and I will take it from there. This is a great question.

7. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I'm quite impressed with them and I do like their food range - but they can be a bit expensive for some people. My friend joined them just over a year ago now and she has met her target weight much earlier than what she had thought, but more than that, she has not put it back on, which was always her problem on previous diets.

8. okaygrace profile image60
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

Here is the truth:

Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc are just companies that make money to make you feel guilty about cheating on your diet.

Sure it works for some because you feel like you will be wasting your money if you don't lose the weight, but the only true way to lose weight is on your own.

You need to alter your entire way of thinking and change your diet, otherwise you may lose the weight at Weight Watchers, but you will eventually gain it back.

Weight Watchers is great, don't get me wrong, but it's basically a glorified version of calorie counting(something you can do yourself for free).

Save your money, count your calories and use the Weight Watchers money to go on a nice vacation once you lose the weight. tongue

9. Adamowen profile image79
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

Weight watchers is a form of IIFYM (If it fits your macros) .. of course it will work because it preaches  calories in vs calories out and measurement of food. But it isn't worth paying for or putting money into, because all the information is available on line, but yeah probably the only one that encourages good practices.

10. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

My sister has been in this program for over thirty years and it helped her gain self respect and feel good about herself. She is very dedicated to it.  She says the point system really works and the ability to share ideas with other members keeps her focused. I have tried some of the frozen dinners and have found them a good taste, especially the spaghetti and pizza! Good way to enjoy a meal without the guilt of calories.

11. carol3san profile image61
    carol3sanposted 6 years ago

Weight watches helped me to lose almost 50 pounds in the past.   When I stopped going to the meetings every week, I promptly gained all of my weight back plus more.  I believe I needed more intensed meetings than what weight watchers offers.  I needed to think of food differently, which I never learned how to do with weight watchers.

1. Get Thin for Good profile image71
      Get Thin for Goodposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is the truth of the overweight matter - that a person doesn't need a diet, but needs to learn how to think about food differently. Check out the Get Thin for Good online weight loss program which provides help with this.

12. profile image0
    foxygemposted 6 years ago

I have tried weight watchers twice, the first time my points were really low because i only needed to lose 2st and i did really struggle but i did manage to lose some weight with doing exercise too. The second time i went on it they changed the point system so i found it much better as i had more points plus weekly points so was never hungry and manged to lose my 3st  i had put on so i would say yes the new system does work and its worth it as long as you do exercise too  (: x

13. Get Thin for Good profile image71
    Get Thin for Goodposted 5 years ago

The problem with Weight Watchers - and any diet - is that it only works for 5% of those who try it. Sure, it may work temporarily as most diets do, but in the long run, its been proven that diets don't work.

The reason for this is that diets only address the physical aspect, which is not the root cause of the overweight problem for most.

For many people who struggle with their weight for a long time, the problem lays in the way they relate to food, and this is what needs to be addressed. It's the habit of using food inappropriately - to fill a spiritual or emotional emptiness, or where it's used when bored or angry, etc.

Once this is dealt with, only then can lasting change occur which results in weight loss.

Get Thin for Good is an online weight loss program which helps people who tend to overeat or who are dependent on food, to change the issue at the root cause of the problem. It takes longer to lose the weight, but when the weight starts coming off, its permanent.

working