jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Is insomnia bad for your health?

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
    aDayInMyLife1posted 5 years ago

Is insomnia bad for your health?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Occasional insomnia - say 2 or 3 days a month - is unlikely to create any problems. More than that, though, can indicate deeper health problems, and also create them. The renewal of natural, healthy sleep is important to our long-term health.

That said, it does not mean that insomnia should be treated only, or primarily, as a medical problem. It's up to you to decide what kind of medical support is best for you. But there is little evidence that the sleep induced by Western medicines helps with insomnia.

Many people prevent and eliminate insomnia by healthy breathing, sane eating, relaxation, and exercise. I've had tremendous success with this, and so have my clients. Some have even been able to stop using sleep medications.

Chinese medicine recognized three types of insomnia: inability to fall asleep; waking in the middle of the night; and early rising, and has effective treatments for each.

Melatonin is a natural product helpful for some people when used correctly.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you added the words used correctly regarding melatonin. This was suggested to me by a doctor years ago. The dosage with pretty wide spread, it was either liver or pancreas problems that people developed. I never used it.

3. Dr Pran Rangan profile image87
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 5 years ago

Yes, insomnia is really bad for the health. Insomnia of short duration of 2 to 4 days will not cause serious health problems but is likely to increase the risk of accidents on road and workplace due to poor reaction time. It will also cause poor emotional stabiltity, which may result in more disputes and fights with known or unknown persons.

It is chronic insomnia (lasting more than a month) which is more likely to affect our health and the health of our relationships. A person with chronic insomnia will have real difficulty to maintain marital and other relationships.

The chronic insomniacs have decreased libido which will adversely affect their sex life.

Since chronic insomnia produces lot of stress, it is likely to increase the risk of alcohol and drug abuse.

It will trigger the onset of depression or a major psychiatric illness in persons who are susceptible to them.

It will weaken the immune system so that a chronic insominac will become more prone to various infections.

Chronic insomnia is known to raise the risks of causing obesity, type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and host of other stress-related diseases since it produces immense stress. 

Chronic insomnia requires special management by an expert.

4. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Definitely. Insomnia is a huge problem and seems to affect just about everyone at some point in their lives. I've written a series of hubs explaining how important it is to get a good night's sleep and how to actually do so. Some of the tips are bound to be helpful to you. Take care and sweet dreams!

http://visionandfocus.hubpages.com/hub/ … ightsSleep
    http://visionandfocus.hubpages.com/hub/ … ghts-Sleep
    http://visionandfocus.hubpages.com/hub/ … Your-Sleep

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

As a chronic insomniac, I can assure you that it is bad for your health. I have looked older than may age for years. I have less desire to exercise. I have to take medication to fall asleep. I have tried all the remedies---warm milk, soft music, etc. I cannot read in bed, because I cannot read without my glasses and I cannot fall asleep while wearing my glasses. I come from a family of insomniacs and for the most part they have died younger that their contemporaries.

6. profile image52
    vashttii1posted 5 years ago

Your body needs rest, without sleep many risks are involved. When you can't sleep you should read up on ways to fall asleep and the risks involved from sleeplessness. You can over come this!

working