jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

If a person eats matches does that help keep ticks away?

1. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

If a person eats matches does that help keep ticks away?

A co-worker told me that they eat matches, and that the sulfur tips on them helps keep ticks off of him. I was just wondering if anybody out there knew if this was true, or if it's just a load of bologna?

2. profile image59
    Woodpecker27posted 5 years ago

Eat matches??? Sounds painful... I can't imagine it's super-effective,  I think you need a lot more sulfur and you probably want to mix it with something sweet to actually eat it. According to this site, an 1/8 teaspoon mixed with molasses or something else will keep the ticks away.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural- … emedy.aspx

3. kj force profile image70
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

Eating matches could make you sick, as there are chemicals in them..I would not recommend, unless you are a fire breathing dragon and can wash down the matches with gasoline...Seriously..Put sunscreen on your hands and add several drops of Eucalyptus oil..rub on your skin ( ears, hairline ) and you can spray the Eucalyptus on your clothes.You can spray your dog and his collar... when I ride my horse in a wooded area, I spray him down also...by the way ticks do not like the smell of garlic...hope this helped...

1. alancaster149 profile image86
      alancaster149posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like combating Dracula! I was nearly eaten alive by horseflies in a shaded rivermouth in Austria. Apparently they were attracted to my fair skin - probably seemed to them like manna! The sulphur would turn your skin yellow, wouldn't it?

4. KangaYankeeDoo profile image79
    KangaYankeeDooposted 5 years ago

Surely there must be an easier way to deter ticks. Eating matches almost makes me sick, and to answer your question I think he's full of bologna.

5. cloverleaffarm profile image65
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

You are kidding, I hope. Why would you actually believe this could be true?

6. rutley profile image74
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

What??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????For how many farts I let go during th day, I'd be on fire, no ticks on me!

7. GrammaKK profile image61
    GrammaKKposted 5 years ago

I didn't know people had a problem with ticks. I thought that it was a problem for animals with fur. If you have pets you should be using the anti tick stuff such as Advantage and then there won't be any tick problem, right?

8. TheKatsMeow profile image88
    TheKatsMeowposted 5 years ago

Honestly I have never heard anything about eating matches, but I have heard that if you eat a lot of garlic it keeps the ticks away. The garlic gets into your blood stream and the ticks don't like that.... I have heard that some people give garlic to their dogs and this helps with ticks.