Considering Juicing....any comments, suggestions?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
    LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years ago

I am thinking about getting a popular ex-exercise guru's juicer...anybody have an opinion about it....

1. joecseko profile image62
      joecsekoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not being a wise guy here. I'd always recommend eating the fruits or vegetables whole, so my recommendation is "don't buy a juicer". At least for anyone concerned with maintaining or losing weight. Why? it's quite simple- peristalsis. Peristalsis is the mechanical portion of digestion that most people are unaware of. It's the ripping and mixing motion of the stomach.

Why is this important to these two groups of people? Processed foods are digested much more quickly, as are cooked foods. This results in a faster entry into the bloodstream. Where carbohydrates are concerned, this causes insulin to store some of the excess glucose as fat (after being converted by the liver) in adipose tissue. Next, peristalsis requires calories to be burned. This could result in some foods, particularly tough foods, to burn more calories than they provide.

For the sake of convenience, juicers are great- but really, isn't the American life convenient enough?

2. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

juicing is a wonderful thing, just make sure you purchase one you can fully disassemble, blades and all due to bacteria and such..

it would be a shame to try to be healthy and end up with e-coli or any number of nasty bacterias in your body.

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

the smaller ones are a lot cheaper and work just as well, and don't take up so much counter space.

LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can you put the pineapple peel and all in the smaller ones like they do in the big one as seen on the infomercial or, is that all hype?

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have an Elite juicer by Maxi-matic and it grinds up anything to a nice pulp and produces a lot of good juice and clean-up is a snap. try Google-ing it (and other juicers) for reviews. have fun smile

Thanks.......smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like a good hub money maker...

1. profile image0
            cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh haha i already wrote about that a long time ago. thanks though! smile

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
              Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sure...

3. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

Ok I have been through this intense process. Do not cheap out and buy a small juicer. It'll produce less juice and give you a TON of wasted fruits and vegetables. You need to check the power of all the machines to see how much you will get out of them. If you're not fully eating the peels and stems etc, then it defeats the point of getting a juicer for nutrition.

So, splurge and be healthy!

Thanks smile

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i have to say if you get the big one you will be set for life. those things are very powerful. just know that they are big and not that attractive but if that doesn't bother you, then you're good to go. smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I don't like juicers.  I put on several kilos because I got a job at a company that offered "healthy" juices first thing in the morning.

Juice is fine if it's a substitute for a meal,but it has all the calories of the fruit without the fibre, so it doesn't fill you up.

1. joecseko profile image62
      joecsekoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, lovely.  saw your post after I'd posted my answer. Yes, fiber also improves insulin sensitivity. It's this, not the fact that fiber binds to fat, that makes fiber so important to weight management.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

No. I see my schnauzer juice all over the back yard and I can't lift my leg that high.smile

7. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Juicing is great. It's delicious and healthy. Just research juicers online and you'll find a good one that will fit your budget. Also, get a juicing book - or you can find lots of recipes online too. Have fun smile

8. LRobbins profile image45
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

I'm not familar with the brand of juicer you are referring to but love juicing.  I'm eating  1 kg of spinach a week and other fruits and vegetables that I never used to eat like beets.  I just have a small Black and Decker one but it works fine.  Good luck!

9. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

For years, I wanted a juicer.  REALLY REALLY wanted one.

Last year, my ex (with whom I remain friends) bought me one for my birthday.  Finally!  But then ...

I hated the damn thing.  And it was a top-of-the-line juicer touted by a celeb, etc.

Why did I hate it? 
    1) the calories.  LOTS of calories in juice.
    2)  the pulp.  A pain to mess with.
    3) cleaning the machine.  A pain, even in the dishwasher.
    4) the cost of the fruits and veggies. It takes A LOT.
    5) loss of fiber.  No fiber in juice.

I went back to my daily smoothie with frozen fruit, and simply crunching on fresh, whole fruits and vegetables, with all their inherent value.

10. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I've got a juicer. I hardly ever use it, except once in awhile during the summer. But it's great. It's one of those juicers where you put the entire fruit in. No pulp though! I don't know how that works, but the juice comes out perfect every time and I've heard that eating the whole fruit, seeds and all, is really good for you. Well, except I won't put apples into the juicer whole. Did you know their seeds contain cyanide?

11. N. Ramius profile image72
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

My family has a juicer. Works wonders as I don't eat fruits and vegetables regularly but I do drink a juice every day. Depends what your purpose is in getting it.. Mine is to eat vegetables and fruit I normally wouldn't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)