Anti depressive mind blanks

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image57
    cdippelposted 14 years ago

Can anyone confirm mind blanks and forgetfulness after years on anti depressants? I was on prozac for approx. 15 years and recently (2 mo. ago) weaned myself off to see if maybe I can think better and remember what I am talking about when I am talking but no such luck. Nothings changed and I didn't know if maybe I have suffered some damage from using it for so long. I can't complain about the med cause it helped me with anger episodes but losing your though while speaking on a regular basis gets to be quite embarrassing.

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cdippel smile

Various studies have confirmed that effect. Or so I have heard / read.
      But, even if you are thinking some of your mental faculties have been somewhat impaired because of the drug, I wouldn't advise you to be very sure you can't return them to a healthy state until you've tried a different approach from drugs. Try Ayurveda.

2. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi cdippel.  Well done for getting off the medication.  I too have suffered with the memory problems because of the medication and it continues to plague me.  It is embarrassing losing your thread, but it will either get better or you will find particular techniques for managing it.  I notice myself that it does get worse if I get stressed about it.  The best of luck to you.

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

My Mother has had memory problems as a result of antidepressants. See your doctor. Good luck.

3. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

My sister went through the same thing but the longer she is off them the more it gradually come back. Takes time but you will get better.  smile

4. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

i have been off anti depressents for 4 years and still have some trouble with short term memory and losing my train of thought while speaking or vocabulary recall.  It drives me Crazy!!  I've been playing many memory games And am reviewing the dictionary to restore my vocabulary.  smile

5. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

They definitely cause mind blanks and forgetfulness. Actually, I was given an official IQ test about a month before I began treatment. My IQ was 111. About a year ago, I decided to have another official IQ test done and my IQ had dropped to 98. Maybe not a significant drop, but I think the anti-depressants definitely contributed to it. I frequently experience mind blanks and forget things I previously knew well.

6. days leaper profile image59
    days leaperposted 13 years ago

I have suffered some "mental health" problems -what a scary term!  It is thanks to media, and people like yourself shining a candle in this wind, that has helped avoid tablets on the mind.  Doctors seem to prescribe anything they can as though it were sweets!
      I was lucky, when I went with my problems, I had a doctor of unquestionable stature, and while he did say "When you get to 25 no-one's bothered about you."  I was lucky and got sent to a psychologist for counselling, rather than a psychiatrist for pill prescriptions.
      Remember that talking out problems while drunk does no good, even if the person is a skilled listener and empathic to your situation.  I believe pills that alter the mind are like alcohol in this effect.  Both alter the mind-set.
      And if you're not talking about your life in a retrospective analytical way with a skilled counsellor then how are you going to give yourself time to even remember it?  If you can't remember, then connecting the dots and looking at ways to change become impossible to reach.  When you find the right counsellor, start with what you do remember, and work from there.
      Don't be scared of flashes, or half a story, as your psyche has to work through much 'denial' or forgetfulness that has built up as a protective habbitt over the years, due to not knowing what else to do with it.
      Counselling helped me, and I greatly improved with writing things down between sessions that I knew I wouldn't otherwise remember.
    Best Wishes

7. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I have found no evidence that antidepressants have affected my memory. I've had a problem with short-term memory retrieval for years....before I ever started on antidepressants. I think that was caused from excessive cannabis use.

As for now, my memory retrieval is a bit worse. And I'm not on enough Prozac now to say one way or another. I say the benefit far outweighs the side effect.

1. profile image53
      gettingbetterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i was taking anti-depressants for four years. i also suffered from blanks and memory loss ,which still affects me today two years later.my doctor didnt seem to understand my problem. later i also suffered from paranoia and eventually had a psycotic breakdown on them.i wouldnt take them again.better now .

8. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Short-term memory loss, blank spells, dizziness all can be caused by numerous factors. I'm having those problems and I've never been on anti-depressants or anything else. So check into other possibilities which is what I'm doing.
       For example, my tap water smells like moist earth. I'm in an upside down mortgage. Teenagers in the apartment above mine have loud parties. My bank account has dropped by $50,000 during this recession. My blood pressure is extremely high due to being perpetually (and thoroughly) pissed off. Further, I'm gladly becoming an alcoholic.
       So I'm looking at each of these issues as the cause of my memory loss and blank spells.

9. karmicfilly profile image67
    karmicfillyposted 13 years ago

Not sure of your age but hormones will do that.  I would get my saliva check to see what your levels are for starters.  This can start to be a problem in your mid to late 30's and beyond.  Also if you read my hug on "Getting off Effexor" you'll note that it was hell and it still has side effects.

It can take years to get this stuff out of your system and you may
    need a detox.  I currently am doing one and I have been off anti-depressants since Dec. 09.

It's a long hard road to getting clean and healthy find an alternative medical person to help you since the traditional
    docs don't seem to even acknowledge this is a problem.

Good luck.

10. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

While there is research that points to this side effect, it is difficult to confirm that the anti-depressant is the cause (or sole cause) of the symptom. It's also the case that depression, anxiety, anger management problems (and others) can contribute, as well as other factors such as age, health, stress - etc. Unfortunately, the symptom doesn't exist in a vacuum.

However - the good news is that even if you can't pinpoint the exact cause (and please understand I'm not saying it's NOT the medication), there ARE things you can do to improve your memory (Google "memory improvement exercises") as well as techniques you can use to help remind yourself of things.

As a counselor-in-training I can say, at this point in time, I would NEVER have recommended that a psychiatrist or GP keep you on the medication for such a long time. My opinion is that such things, if used at all, should be used in tandem with counseling and with the idea that they are for stabilization rather than long-term maintenance; i.e., they can be helpful for, say, a few months to help a client get to the point that they can explore the depression/anxiety/anger etc. and learn other, less dangerous, coping skills - including (but certainly not limited to) nutrition & exercise, positive self-talk, symptom recognition, and the development and maintenance of a social support system (i.e., family education, support groups, etc.).

Having said all that, it's probably not a very good idea to be looking for advice about such things here on the Web, or at HubPages. It would be a really good idea to get a complete physical (including MRI) and discuss this symptom with your doctor, and it may be a good idea to find a counselor (Licensed Mental Health Counselor); they do not prescribe meds - a psychiatrist may be more likely to just prescribe meds again (although they're not ALL like that).

I wish you the best! No matter what you do, don't forget that there's always hope! :-)

1. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I diasagree with you Glass Spider.  Just finding out whether any one has experienced the same thing or not, is a very quick way of finding out that you're not alone in experiencing particular symptons. Also people who have actually taken the tablets will have a range of suggestions that may be useful. Although there can be some absolute rubbish on the web there is also some very good things and everyone should do some research, including talking to a professional so that they can make their own informed choices.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A. It would be helpful if you could specify what exactly you it is you disagree with.

B. I never said that the medication was NOT causing the symptoms - I merely pointed out that while the medications CAN cause such symptoms, other things can as well; in addition, MULTIPLE variables could be the cause; once again, it cam be DIFFICULT to pinpoint the cause of such a symptom, especially since the OP states the symptom has not changed even though the medications are no longer a part of the picture. Whether you agree with them or not, those are simply facts.

C. Since you presume to think for some reason that I have not "used the tablets," I will let you know that I have used anti-depressant medication WITHOUT these side effects, much like another poster here who mentioned the same; so again, the symptom does not exist in a vacuum.

D. Perhaps you disagreed with my suggesting that this is not the place for medical advice; in that case, I can only stand by what I've said again. The Internet/HP is clearly NOT the place to receive advice about such an important issue/symptom; neither of us has any idea about the physical/psychological health of the poster (or any other would-be advice-giver here), and only professionals allowed to examine the situation with the patient will be able to determine an answer and an appropriate treatment plan.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)