What Is The Best Medicine For Depression?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 11 years ago

What Is The Best Medicine For Depression?

What is the best medicine for depression?

2. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Because different people have different brains, no one med is 'best' for depression in a particular person. While there are similarities between people's symptoms who are depressed, it is likely that here are many kinds of depression. Why one med works for one person and not another is a bit of mystery. Despite the mental health system wanting folks to believe that it is an exact science, it is not; science does not even know exactly why the meds work for people.

This is why getting the right med when you are depressed or anxious takes time and patience...it may take trails of three or four different meds to find the right one or combination that hasa positve effect for a person's depression.

1. profile image55
      Angelina Ricciposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry krilico but major depression must be treated with pills.  Sadness, anxiety, grief and panic should not be confused with depression.  It is chemical, and one day soon they will have a blood test to check the levels, just like cholesterol.

2. profile image51
      alsuzy1224posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're on the right track, depression can lead to many other mental disorders or symptoms such as anxiety and should be treated on an individual basis. Depression, like most things, isn't black and white therefore the best meds aren't either.

3. SherryDigital profile image61
    SherryDigitalposted 11 years ago

Laughter, exercise and proper nutrition.
    Anti-depressants simply mask the feelings and often times have other consequences and can lead to long term illnesses.
    Many teens and young adults that are prescribed antidepressants report even worse feelings of depression and increased thoughts of suicide.

It is better to heal your body from the inside out than to blindly take drugs that may cause more problems.

1. krillco profile image87
      krillcoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not 'many'. While laughter, exercise and nutrition are helpful, and my solve some very mild symptoms, it will not touch genuine dysthymic, bi-polar, or major depression. No one should take meds 'blindly'.

2. peachpower profile image60
      peachpowerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SherryDigital, one of the most common side effects with ANY age group first taking antidepressants is increased suicidal ideation. You made an uneducated statement. Depression is caused by chemical imbalance. How do you fix that if not with meds?!?

3. profile image55
      Angelina Ricciposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sherry, I am sorry, but I must strongly disagree.  Major depression does not go away without medications.  EVER.  A person with depression has chemicals in their left frontal lobe that are not firing "properly".

4. profile image0
      vonda g nelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Go Sherry Great advice!  might I ad..... be sure to be aware of your environment and the people that you are amongst.  You'll be quite surprised how random people and your environment can contribute to depression.  A few gOOd friends may help as well

5. profile image51
      alsuzy1224posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Antidepressants don't simply mask the feeling. Each medication works differently but in general antidepressants affects the neurotransmitters in your brain, and it's neurotransmitters that are largely responsible for emotions.

4. posts profile image70
    postsposted 11 years ago

Well yah, there are lots of anti-depressants, which only work to stabilize your mood. They neither make you feel euphoric nor make you feel gloomy. So, the better way to fight initial depression is healthy food habit plus exercise. Relaxation exercises are particularly useful. But, if the ailment is chronic, this can lead to serious mental illness like BPAD, Schizophrenia, hypo-mania etc, in this case, medication and supervision of psychiatrist is essential!!

5. Radikum profile image61
    Radikumposted 11 years ago

Depression is best dealt with suppression! Just kidding. Or am I? Honestly it varies from person to person. Despite what doctors say, some medicine does not have an affect on a person's psychological health. That is all! P.S This question should be used for a thesis.

6. bhargvi sharma profile image35
    bhargvi sharmaposted 11 years ago

Laughter & proper  sound sleep is the best medicine to the depression. Moreover try to discuss or talk  about our problems, worries, sorrows that hampers your brain from normal functioning with someone who will understands u & guide u in a proper way or may sort out our reason of being in a depression...
    Meanwhile try to do Mediation this will helps a lot in suppressing the affect of depression.
    Other way to reduce depression is to take anti-depressants.

1. posts profile image70
      postsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that proper sound sleep is needed and many mood stabilizers and anti depressants' main function is to calm down the patients by making them sleepy. But, laughing has not been found to be proper relief. You can say trying to be happy instead.

2. bhargvi sharma profile image35
      bhargvi sharmaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kkk... smile

7. profile image73
    grumpiornotposted 11 years ago

Change. In addition to Sherry's suggestions.
    I reckon that depression might be symptomatic of deeper challenges that are unresolved.
    Have a look at your life to assess what makes you happy and what does not. A simple example might be: if you dread getting up to go to work every morning because your boss denigrates you or expects too much, medication is, at best, treating symptoms and not the problem.
    Consider the sources of dread and depression in your life and start making changes.
    Medication should only be used in the shorter term to help cope, while you assess and address the reals issues.

8. Hector Rosales profile image60
    Hector Rosalesposted 11 years ago

Surround yourself with your closest friends, your loved ones... Exercise your mind, your body. There's nothing like having a best friend you can laugh about anything with. I say this because I know. I used to be depressed... Depressed because I couldn't seem to move on from personal tragedies, depressed because I was overweight, depressed because my job sucked. But then I started seeing how my depression and lack of motivation was affecting my daughters. My best friend is a silly ass dude with issues of his own but we hang out and laugh about all kinds of stupid things... But we laugh. It's awesome! I started exercising; I'm running now and I feel great! My default pic was taken after a 2.5 mi. run (I'm a beginner). I perform calisthenics with my daughter because she's a gymnast and she needs to be fit. My son just started high school and he's on the football team and I'm looking forward to being involved every step of the way. Life is far too short to be depressed all the time. Read an awesome book, learn to play an instrument, occupy your mind. Surround yourself with positive people. Even one positive person makes a difference. And finally, maintain proper eating habits. Put the chips and soda down and get off your ass and run, jog, walk fast... Whatever! Good day, everyone.

9. profile image55
    Angelina Ricciposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately I am a pro on the subject.  What I have learned about depression is that all brain chemistry is not the same.  Some people need one type and some another.  Imagine a spaghetti colander with the holes in it.  All of the holes are of equal size.  If you drop the correct size marbles into the container you will see that they fit in the holes nicely.  Imagine the marbles are the meds and the holes are the parts of your brain that need adjusting.  Some people have only large holes, some medium, and some all types of sizes.  One med may treat the small holes, but if the depression continues, they may need bigger marbles to fill the bigger holes.  Everyone has a different number of holes.  A perfect cocktail is the combination that is best for your chemistry. 

Currently I am on 5 different prescriptions.  I must be monitored constantly, but know I am not alone.  Many people need more than one thing.

Another thing people need is to change their brain thinking patterns.  There are ways to do this and counselors/psychiatrists can help you with the tools to use.

Another thing you should try is to keep your mind busy for at least 4 hours a day.  It must be something that takes mental concentration.  Some ideas include playing an instrument, reading the paper, playing cards, paying bills, computer, and even watching a tv show, as long as your mind is on the show.

Meditation/Yoga/exercise also can have a place in the treatment, however this alone can't take care of everything.  I believe exercise does help my meds work better, but no doctor has ever confirmed that.

Depression does not go away on it's own.  Some sadness, mourning and grief can be awful, but these things should not be confused with depression, which is chemical based and can be exacerbated  by events in your life.

Hope that helps.

10. Beata Stasak profile image80
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Happy to follow a happy Sherry, if you have some time to spare, visit my hubpage as well.... hobby, something that will occupy your mind and your heart and takes your attention away from those dark corners of your mind...
    Cheerful and honest friends whose shoulders you can cry on and teach you to laugh again...
    A lot of sun, blue sky, birds' singing...you have to find your favourite natural spot, your place of paradise...
    Learnt to take everything less seriously, stress in a big NO, NO...at the end of the day nothing is so serious (usually) you can not laugh it off later on....and everything else what Sherry said:)

11. Neha Sadana profile image87
    Neha Sadanaposted 11 years ago

To my opinion, morning meditation would be best to fight against depression. 15 minutes in the morning, far away from outward world and communication can do wonder to your spiritual health.

12. OneFineG467 profile image59
    OneFineG467posted 11 years ago

Depression is like a rain cloud that comes and goes not to stay in one place forever...however some people prolong to be depressive due to negative thoughts and refuse to come out of it..You have to fight within yourself to get better....the best way to deal read a book everyday, listening to soothing music, playing with pets and a walk in the park morning and evening...This activities will make you forget depressive mood and put you in a progressive mood slowly making you start a fresh...However if its in form of a person like boss, colleague  or neighbour its difficult you can't get rid of them unless you move away from them otherwise it can be easily solved.

13. web4utech profile image58
    web4utechposted 11 years ago

I think when you depress you can't use laughter therapy. I think best way is do those work which you like most. Take proper nutrition and make a proper time schedule for your work.

14. unvrso profile image82
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

The best medicine for depression is the focus of your thoughts.

Think negatively and negativism will permeate your life. On the other part, think positively, and your life will become more bearable.

Depression stems from many factors, although, most of those factors are related to your thoughts. I have learned through life that you as a person can stimulate others, so that thinking positively, you´ll be in charge.

Tha majority of people is subjected to negativism, and that has its roots in the kind of thoughts that are developing inside the brain in any given instant.

Negativism abounds every where. For instance TV news about crime, terrorism, disease, etc. Once you focus your attention on those kinds of propaganda, you´ll be impregnated by negativism.

focus your attention on subjects that won´t interfere with a clear thinking.

15. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Volunteer work; giving back; interaction with another human being, preferably a stranger.
    As a therapist, it would be easy and expected for me to say medication, therapy focusing on negative thought patterns, meditation, exercise, and good nutrition. I actually agree with all of these which work best together in varied combinations. However, I would add that giving of yourself is the key to managing and hopefully, alleviating depression. It shows you that you matter and have a purpose outside of yourself. When you touch someone in need by providing a service or helping hand, it's impossible not to feel uplifted. A stranger's appreciation of you is unconditional because they don't know you. A study came out a couple years ago that said the happiest people do volunteer work. I think we should pay more attention to that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)