jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever suffered from depression? How did you get out of it?

1. writerjrose profile image79
    writerjroseposted 23 months ago

Have you ever suffered from depression? How did you get out of it?

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
    Michaela Osieckiposted 23 months ago

I've been battling clinical depression for over a decade. Most people don't just "get out of it" without a lot of help, be it therapy, medication, mindfulness, a strong support network, etc.

3. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 23 months ago

In my 20s and 30s I suffered greatly from severe depression. I felt like I was at the bottom of a deep, dark well surrounded by darkness. I was suicidal and at times, so withdrawn that I could not communicate with anyone.
    After several tries (years) of various anti-depressants and bio-feedback therapy. I learned to "act happy and be happy" through cognitive behavioral therapy.
    I am now in my 60s and no longer have deep depression, but I do still have mild depression. I don't take anti-depressants anymore, and I don't feel the need to.
    The only advice I can give is - don't give up! There is a medicine or a therapy out there that will work for you as an individual.
    It takes a long time and a lot of determination to overcome depression, but it can be done. Just don't give up.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 23 months ago

I have, many times.  It happens either because of situations, like struggling financially and / or being in a hostile environment, or because of flashbacks.  With the former, I just have to do my best to get out of that situation.  Sometimes, I'm able to take mini vacations, during which I force myself to not think about it.  The latter is easier to deal with; I was taught to focus on the here and now, and remember the flashback is only a memory; I am no longer in that situation.  Distracting myself with reading or watching a movie helps, as does heavy duty exercises at the gym.  Also, long pleasant conversations with friends helps.
    I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ADVOCATE MEDS!!!  I tried those for a few years; all they did was make me fat.  A friend of mine in her mid-60s has ruined her health because of meds; she is falling apart, mini strokes and all.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 23 months ago

I get the blues once in a while.  Some times it is stress other times it is I am stuck in a routine and am bored with it.  Usually for me a good sleep helps me, when I wake up it is like I am a new person.  Changing my routine helps to.  I also take St. John's Wort when I am feeling blue and this works wonders.

6. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 23 months ago

Yes I have, and still do. I didn't even know I had it until I went through a big hustle in my late teens with a stomach problem (which turned out to be depression-based).

As long as it's not flaring up I can manage my depression without any medications at all simply by talking to myself. No, I don't hear any answers.

If it gets too much for me to handle then I start taking St. John's Wort supplements at about double the recommended dose. I do not recommend you do this unless you know what you're doing as the herb can cause mania.

If the herb fails then I talk to a therapist.