jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)

Thinking about Halloween costumes?

1. Joelle Burnette profile image86
    Joelle Burnetteposted 8 years ago

Halloween is undoubtedly my favorite holiday. Okay, I'm a tad biased since Halloween is my birthday. Still, it's just around the corner; closer than Christmas, in any case, regardless of stores already stocking xmas items.

Anyway, what costume will you be wearing for Halloween? Will you make it? or buy it? I prefer making costumes; my mom got me started making costumes when we were kids and I never stopped.

Oh, and show photos of past creations if you'd like.

Thanks!
    Joelle

1. mysong profile image59
      mysongposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would recommend adding a personalized song to the party smile

2. nikki1 profile image57
      nikki1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Using the thinking cap is fun.. adding a piece here and there come up with new idez [0D].

Gota question?
      Is trick or treating just for the youth (k-4) give or take?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We usually get some college age hoping to create a stash of goodies! Sometimes they borrow a sibling to keep it respectable.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OctoMom:

http://i37.tinypic.com/212et83.jpg
      this would be really easy to do. nothing to buy except eight cheap baby dolls from the craft store...i think you can get a whole bag for 5 bucks...

2. bearnmom profile image54
    bearnmomposted 8 years ago

My Dad's birthday was Halloween and likewise it's my favorite holiday.  I was never good at making costumes but my Mom would open her trunk from her acting days and fashion us something as kids.

Myself I have only made one costume in my life and it won prizes.  I blew up purple balloons and sewed them onto a jacket.  Then I did a green felt mask that was put onto a needle point frame that fit over the head.  It was a bunch of grapes.

A couple of years later for another contest I did the same but did 2 bunches of grapes purple for my hubby and green for me.  We won that contest that year too.

1. Joelle Burnette profile image86
      Joelle Burnetteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I used a similar costume with some other ladies I worked with when we were in a show and our song was, you guessed it, "I heard it through the grapevine." Our costumes were a hit!

Did your dad enjoy decorating the house? We go all out at our house.

1. bearnmom profile image54
        bearnmomposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My Dad didn't decorate for his birthday because he worked most nights as Steward for our American Legion.  But he did do the traditional jack-o-lantern with us.  His best decorations were done for Christmas.

3. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 8 years ago

well I wasn't until I read this thread smile

4. lrohner profile image82
    lrohnerposted 8 years ago

I was at a Halloween party once where one of my single friends was dressed up in silver tights, silver face and hair paint and she had a gray plastic trash can lid on her head. She had cut arm and leg holes in a silver trash bag, slipped it on and filled it with crumpled up paper. When I asked her what she was supposed to be, she said, "Well, I was hoping someone would want to take out the trash!" smile

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 8 years agoin reply to this

did it work?

1. lrohner profile image82
        lrohnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ya know, I believe it did! smile

1. dohn121 profile image88
          dohn121posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...Someone else's trash is another one's treasure big_smile

5. Ladybird33 profile image49
    Ladybird33posted 8 years ago

Halloween is my favorite Holiday as well.  I really don't make costumes but my mother did for me for years and years...I won't go into the specifics but I loved it for that reason.  My son has decided to be "BumbleBee" from Transformers.  So exciting for children!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

I saw a great one once. People wore black and painted stick figures on their outfits in florescent paint.

I found a video...you might want to turn off the sound...it's a bit annoying smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHR42RJvBhw

I don't usually do anything for Halloween myself these days. Although once I dressed up as a Vampire Vulcan...with pointy teeth and pointed ears.

7. Kevin Peter profile image69
    Kevin Peterposted 8 years ago

Find some Halloween Boys and Girlz Costumes and Read about history of Halloween  at my hub

How and Why do we celebrate halloween’s day

http://hubpages.com/hub/celebrate-halloween-day

1. nikki1 profile image57

Adding ur hubs in here, is not allowed, my friend.
      Plez do not do this again.. u may be banned.
      haveagreatday

8. profile image52
    Zay Cposted 8 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers! For those of you that like to put your own costumes together (it seems more fun that way) check out my ideas http://hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Halloween-Costume-Ideas-1. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Are they creative, original? Maybe some of you have ways to make my ideas better.Thanks. Hope everyone has a great Halloween!!

1. nikki1 profile image57

We forgive u for adding ur hub, in here. Just plez do not
      add them again. This is not allowed.
      haveagreatday.

9. profile image0
    LEWJposted 8 years ago

Anybody ever listen to Halloween stories (fact or fiction) in the dark on Halloween?
    Recorded, live radio, or in-person tales told in the midst of complete darkness...or by candlelight.

10. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Have you seen the cat-with-the-lime-helmet costume..

http://juliasegal.tumblr.com/post/19718 … er-the-cat

11. Lighting Lady profile image55
    Lighting Ladyposted 8 years ago

Do I love Halloween...Heck yeah!  We are invited out to a party the night before Halloween, I'm gonna be a piece of Candy Corn.

12. midnightbliss profile image60
    midnightblissposted 8 years ago

OctoMom is pretty scary wink Growing up in the Philippines Halloween wasn't that big of a deal but now that I'm in the States I love it. I read this cool article on the origins of Halloween the other day, http://www.halloweencostumesz.com/histo … n-history/ which inspired me to research and write about the myth of the black cat, http://hubpages.com/hub/Scary-Halloween-Black-Cat-Myth

I'm still not sure what I'm going as this year. Might go as Cat Woman but I have multiple parties on Fri/Sat. so actually thinking of Cat Woman one night and something else the other. What's everyone else going as?

13. Bridget Batson profile image60
    Bridget Batsonposted 7 years ago

I LOVE that taking out the trash idea!!! Hilarious!!!!

14. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Last year my daughter dressed as a Borg (Star Trek, for anyone who doesn't know).  It was a great costume.  She had lights tucked behind the arm holes, near the belt, etc., so the colored lights seemed to be coming from her.  She spray painted a toy gun (that looked like a space gun, rather than a "regular" one) from the dollar store, some "arm things" and "leg things" (I think they were for a Knight costume originally).  She had a "sparkly" dress and wore tights.

working