What are your techniques for increasing your writing productivity?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Earl S. Wynn profile image85
    Earl S. Wynnposted 6 years ago

What are your techniques for increasing your writing productivity?

What do you do that really makes you jazzed about writing?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5993916_f260.jpg

2. anjperez profile image74
    anjperezposted 6 years ago

i am not a writer but i just enjoy writing some stuff. first rule is, never stay home and stay hooked on your computer. go out, take a stroll, talk to people, check out some arts or crafts, do something different. some ideas just pop up.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

I don't GET jazzed about writing.  Yeah, I can and do "get into it" once the ball is rolling and the on-screen print a-flowing, so I guess you could say that my number one technique for maintaining my writing productivity is simply to WRITE. 

But it's not possible to INCREASE my writing productivity because there simply aren't enough hours in the day.  Louis L 'Amour once stated that he wrote 5 single spaced pages every single day, come rain, come shine, and that he was no prima donna--sit him down on a busy street corner in Los Angeles or anywhere else, and he'd crank 'em out.

That sort of work ethic does apply.  I make sure to publish a minimum of one Hub each and every day, and often that means getting to bed at 4:30 a.m. 

"Jazzed" just isn't in it.

4. ytsenoh profile image83
    ytsenohposted 6 years ago

Pure desire and self-discipline.  My number one passion is writing on every subject that is helpful and researchable.  The element that jazzes me the most is this site because it's a great community of commonality...the love of writing.  Whether you want to have a voice or you have material that needs a voice, the practice of writing has ongoing effects that are productive, meaningful and fulfilling to such a large extent.  Great question!

5. Peter Allison profile image82
    Peter Allisonposted 6 years ago

Oddly enough, writing while riding Public Transportation works for me. I think it's the feeling of moving forward that propels the writing... Really! Take a seat on a bus (or train, or ferry) put your head down and write. Look up occasionally for unsolicited brilliance and breathtaking moments.

6. Jessi10 profile image74
    Jessi10posted 6 years ago

The simple ability to think, and be able to put my thoughts into HUbs. There are days when I dont write, and at the end of the day, I think I have more than 10 possible Hub titles. Thats good for me..
    My only "technique" for increasing my writing productivity is simple: I like to take a few min to myself, listen to a few blood pumping songs, and then start to write! Sometimes, even when i cant sleep, I just write.. If I like what I wrote, I'll make a Hub about it and publish it! Easy as that!

Hope this answers your question!

7. Jessi10 profile image74
    Jessi10posted 6 years ago

What techniques help you increase your writing productivity? When working from home, we often get bombarded by distractions, things that we need to do around the house, and other responsibilities. This is why these techniques are easy to follow, and some of the most helpful! read more

8. mymagicview profile image75
    mymagicviewposted 6 years ago

Self-discipline is very very important to increase writing productivity. Decide the number of articles you will publish in one month and then work with determination.

9. BAndBeast profile image71
    BAndBeastposted 6 years ago

I have more than one writing outlet, so if the piece I write doesn't fit one place, there's always other areas. Luckily, The Atlanta-based Examiner opened things up a little in the last few months so that people could highlight weekly events and weekend events. It was a refreshing change from the limitations of Religion and Spirituality.

10. Alexander Brenner profile image82
    Alexander Brennerposted 6 years ago

In short, times spent alone is what really gets me to write. I fill my life with noises and buzzes, but every time they subside an idea will spring up.

11. randomcreative profile image92
    randomcreativeposted 6 years ago

I am constantly brainstorming ideas for new articles, so when I sit down to write, I have lots of great ideas already.  Like several others here, I have multiple writing outlets so I don't burn out in any one area.

12. AnimeHime2011 profile image57
    AnimeHime2011posted 6 years ago

Well for me sometimes I join RPs with people and learn new things that I didn't learn before. And another way that I also show my love for Writing is sometimes trying to make a Book-even though I have Writer's Block at times but that doesn't stop me at all.

And I also use Hubpages to help show my love for my Writing as well. That and sometimes I try to go to Poetry Meets and read my Poems-another way to show that I love Writing.

13. j80caldwell profile image72
    j80caldwellposted 6 years ago

ahahaha, that's a cool question.  I'm considered a technical writer-as I mainly write on economical topics.  As of now, most of my hub topics stem from notes I wrote in my economic journal about 3 years ago; so my job up to now, mainly, has been to unclutter the chicken scratch.  As for writer productivity, normally between 8-12am/pm I can get a lot of writing done.  In reference to writer creativity? I don't know for some people its different: I read a lot magazines though--Time, U.S. News and my two personal favorites National Geograhic & The Economist.  My best ideas come when I'm riding my bike and/or workingout/lifting-weights.

14. Victoria Wallcot profile image56
    Victoria Wallcotposted 6 years ago

Self discipline and work determination is very important. Make yourself read more content and try to set a goal that you want to achieve. It will make it more easy for you.

15. vdelarosa profile image59
    vdelarosaposted 6 years ago

I find that writing is like running- sometimes you don't feel like doing it until you ARE doing it. Give yourself a task to write some thoughts down every day, for ten minutes maybe. You'll find all different types of writing come out of you-- some clear, concise, and sharp; others will be ethereal, creative, and subjective. To get going is the hard part.

16. KrystalD profile image72
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

I find that major life changes really fuel my writing. Not that I force them or bring them about but I certainly capitalize on them. I broke up with my boyfriend recently and I have been writing like crazy!

17. Godzangel profile image60
    Godzangelposted 6 years ago

What I do is find out what it is I really feel like expressing. How this feeling comes along usually depends on my mood, conversations I've had that day, songs, sometimes what other people have written.  I share my thoughts on paper in the most articulate unique way possible.  Then I have other people read it to see what they get from the writing.

18. rLcasaLme profile image71
    rLcasaLmeposted 6 years ago

there are days when I really don't have anything in mind and nothing new comes in. But, there are days when "titles of prospect hubs" pops in continuously. I take advantage of these times and I write them on a paper. If I don't have a paper, I save it on my mobile phone.
    Hope this helps.

19. profile image0
    WordsAreStrengthposted 6 years ago

Well I set a little time each day to work. If I have some unfinished work on my computer, then I take one of them out and work on it for an hour or two. If I get on a roll I just keep writing. If I can't think of anything new to write I do a writing exercise or two. You've got to stay sharp!

20. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 6 years ago

No technique.
    I  just have to sit down and begin to write something, then never let go till it is done!
    I have to write a book in three months starting this week, so I don't suppose I'll leave my desk, ever.
    Seems to be all or nothing.

21. kmainka profile image61
    kmainkaposted 6 years ago

Music. Always and forever, music. Some songs can inspire a certain mood or passion to strike, and that, for me, always gets me jazzed and pumped up to write.

(In fact, I even have playlists for certain stories/types of stories, and even the characters in some of my stories!)

22. MichaelWriter profile image58
    MichaelWriterposted 6 years ago

I take motivation out of the equation by having a writing schedule. This will work differently for each writer depending on their schedules. Essentially it's best to schedule a particular time each day to write for a particular length of time (for example, 30 minutes) or a particular number of words (for example, 1,000 words). At minimum, one will be able to have some sort of a steady production in their writing.

23. DonnaCosmato profile image97
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

I work on a set schedule and plan my next day's writing activities at the end of each door. If I need solitude, I retreat to my mom's summer home and refuse to answer my cell phone until I'm done with what must be done. I adhere to Zig Ziglar's theory of "do what you have to do when you have to do it, and then you can do what you want to do when you want to do it."

24. rishweby profile image52
    rishwebyposted 6 years ago

There's not fix pattern of writing an article. when i come to write an article, i just choose a random title from any of the article directory and start writing on it.
    This help me in being a flexible writer in all the niches. The Best way is to start writing and not to stop till you end.

25. Yaduvanshi profile image54
    Yaduvanshiposted 6 years ago

Let me tell u it is the most difficult task to me and I need to be in real mood to do this. But I can still suggest some tips

Good typing speed
    Good frame of mind
    Knowledge of the subject
    Good examples
    Expressiveness

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)