What book are you reading and enjoying now?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 133 discussions (228 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Mom of KSKWposted 14 years ago

I always have a copy of America's Best Short Stories published by year & edited by different authors standing by for fill-in.  But I just finished have a little faith by Mitch Albom.  Inspirational & extremely well written.  I'm probably one of the five people who never read tuesdays with morrie (by the same author) so maybe that will be next on the list.

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a copy of America's Best Short Stories. Had to buy it for a class in college and kept it. great and fun book that is why I didn't sell it back smile

2. Jenny30 profile image59
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

I am reading a book called Someone Special by Sheila O'Flanagan. She is based in the UK. I love British arthors!!

3. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

A fascinating book - "Call It Treason" by George Howe.

It's a novel, but it explores the idea of a committing treason because you believe what your government is doing is wrong. The book is about a young German soldier in WWII who approaches the US military in order to aid them because he believes in his heart that Hitler and the nazis are wrong. I can't put it down.

I'm going to write a hub review about it.

4. profile image53
    dr.peppergirl09posted 14 years ago

i am reading a passion denied by julie lessman... it is a great one i am really enjoying it! you should check it out sometime!

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Sounds like people are enjoying books. Glad to hear it! smile

6. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

I just finished Duma Key by Stephen King, now I am reading The Definitive Book of Body Language by Allan and Barbara Pease

1. profile image0

How was Stephen King? I love his work but can't stand reading his books. how weird is that? lmao

1. wesleycox profile image70
        wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The story is classic King, weird stuff happens that is supernatural at best but the story trots right along.

1. profile image0

hmmmm maybe I'll check it out next time I go to the bookstore and see if I can get into it. smile

7. Fugitive From Now profile image60
    Fugitive From Nowposted 14 years ago

The complete works of khalil Gibran.  This writer is profound!

1. profile image0

I'll have to check it out.

So many good books...so little time to read them all big_smile

8. Jackson Riddle profile image47
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Just finished Great Expectations, again. Never gets old. I love the book but I'm not sure if it is the novelty of reading 'Dickens' which makes it seem so much better, however that said I enjoyed it thoroughly (again).

9. travelespresso profile image67
    travelespressoposted 14 years ago

I'm just over half way through a doorstep of a book (1000 pages) - Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.  Hubpages keeps distracting me so its taking time to get through!!!  Very good though.

10. Fresh_Flower profile image60
    Fresh_Flowerposted 14 years ago

I'm reading Critical Thinking by William Hughes.

A book that I bought for a philosophy class some years ago. Never read it then but now I've discovered that it is quite good.

I'm also reading Journey to the End of the Night by Celine

11. shanekruger profile image61
    shanekrugerposted 14 years ago

I am very busy in office work and no time for book reading yikes

12. profile image0
    AngusKyprianouposted 14 years ago

"The Girl Who Kicked The hornets nest" by Stieg Larsson.

Amazing book.
    Needs to be read in great, hungry chunks!!

I just wrote a hub about it.

13. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Zen and the Art of Writing, by Ray Bradbury.  I'm STILL working on that Noetics book, The Intention Experiment, and have been for a while now, and I'm reading "The Great Alone" by Janet Dailey, which is a historical saga about the people who settled in Alaska, before Seward's folly and before the Klondike gold strike.  They were mostly Russians.

14. onlyatjamart profile image59
    onlyatjamartposted 14 years ago

I am currently reading Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk. This is my 7th Palahniuk novel and I only started reading his work about 3 months ago.

1. theageofcake profile image59
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A friend of mine was really blown away by that book;  I've been meaning to read it.

Lately its been exclusively Arthur C. Clarke and Cormac McCarthy for me, but I've finally broken out of that with Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game.  I was reading up on the author, and though he's a fantastic storyteller, I must say I find his personal politics perplexing - especially as someone working in the genre of science fiction.

1. onlyatjamart profile image59
        onlyatjamartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just finished it, and yeah I was blown away as well. It's definitely a book I would read again.

15. fishtiger58 profile image69
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and The Simple Soybean and your Health by Mark Messina PhD, Virginia Messina, RD with Den Setchell,PhD

16. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Dicken's Curiousity Shop...though I'm not sure I'm quite 'enjoying' it yet. :s

17. profile image0

Books books and more books. Phew so many big_smile

Now I am reading Muder, She Wrote Trick Or Treachery. smile

18. janelle fowler profile image58
    janelle fowlerposted 14 years ago

the kindgom of god is within you by leo tolstoy

it's a bit of a hard read seeing as it's translated from russian hundreds of year ago, but it's great.

19. E. Nicolson profile image70
    E. Nicolsonposted 14 years ago

I have just started "Thomas Hardy: The Guarded Life" by Ralph Pite. Have always been a Hardy fan, and Pite brings many interesting facts and theories forward.

20. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://www.bushiq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/marge-simpson-poses-for-playboy-cover.jpeg

21. profile image0

lol Ron I can't believe you put that up in here lol oh wait yea I can it's you lol

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmmmmmmmm..

Marge Simpson

Grrrrrrrrrr

1. profile image0

lol Ron down boy down! lol

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what she said.

1. profile image0

lol Oh Ron you are too funny

22. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i just got "The Associate" by John Grisham. i have yet to crack it open but it's there waiting.

23. profile image0

read me Cosette read me *cough* lol

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'd love to. where is it?

1. profile image0

that's your book calling for you to read it lol

24. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

OHhhhh

haha.....big_smile

25. profile image0

John Grisham is calling to you, cosette answer his calls big_smile

26. Kika Rose profile image69
    Kika Roseposted 14 years ago

I got a good book I'm reading right now.

Heroes of the Valley, by Jonathan Stroud.

AMAZING AUTHOR, also wrote the book series The Bartimaeus Trilogy. They're young adult novels, but I don't get that young adult feel from them. It's like reading Stephanie Meyer's book The Host; nothing like Twilight in any possible way, and thank God.

... I was starting to seriously get sick of Twilight, and I'm a huge fangirl. yikes

27. Jackson Riddle profile image47
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

My first non-classic book in ages. Freakonomics, quite interesting.

28. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 14 years ago

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane.

Good story by a good storyteller.  Can't beat that combo.

29. Dominatrix profile image61
    Dominatrixposted 14 years ago

I am currently reading Jaid black Trek Mi Quan . I am like super hooked I am trying to drag it out

30. Bibowen profile image86
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Time and Eternity by William Lane Craig

31. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

The Greatest Show on Earth : The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins

Excellent read.

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought you were already converted Mark....

32. europewalker profile image81
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

33. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

revenge inc by Dohn121

34. Kim Cantrell profile image58
    Kim Cantrellposted 14 years ago

I am reading "Doc" by Jack Olsen. Though published in the late 80s, I'm finding it to be more superbly written than many true crime books these days.

35. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

March by Geraldine Brooks
    Reading it for a class, and it's very good so far.

36. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

37. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, that was my favorite reference and guide book when I was a young lass. It was banned, but I had a bootleg. Always be prepared, for you never know when you might need to fashion a gym whistle into an implement of death..

38. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i think i will start at Genesis again, what say you

39. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I doubt if there are a 100 books written in English within fifty miles of where I live.

I have ten of them. They are well read.

40. profile image0
    Dukayneposted 14 years ago

I'm currently reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe, The Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, and Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb (who is a freakin amazing author, by the way).

1. profile image0

I LOVE the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe and have read all of them too. they are GREAT!

41. alaskacbmf profile image61
    alaskacbmfposted 14 years ago

Just finished "BANDIT Big Black Dog Who Stole My Heart" by Carol Bradshaw, and her black labrador retriever, Bandit.  Great book, and hope many will read it and enjoy it!

1. profile image0

that sounds like a book I would enjoy smile

42. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

I have 4 books started NOT including a philosophy book I started years ago and misplaced and a coffee table book my son got me on DC Comics action figures.
    The book I am reading regularly at this point is called "The Best Music You've Never Heard".  In fact, it has inspired me in regards to future hubs as well as enlarging my music collection!

43. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

One on Spinoza, one on Forex...  Oh, and one on drawing the figure.

44. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

I am reading a lovely warm, touching and beautiful book at the moment about an insight into  the roller coaster of emotions that were experienced by two loving parents. The parents are Ron and Carolyn Delezio, whose daughter little Sophie was trapped under a burning car in her childcare centre at the tender age of five years. The book is a collection of the priviate journals showing an intimate view of their lives and how their hearts have broken every time they see their dear little Sophie go throught her day to day recovery from her not one but two near fatal accidents. She also had an accident when she was hit on a pedestrian crossing. The book gives inspiration to other families that may be going through their own personal tragedies. It shows how you can be knocked down with so much grief one minute and then be once again lifted up by the tenderness of your family, friends and all the people who are there to support you in any way they can.
    I enjoyed this book so much, this is the second time I am reading.

The name of this book for any one who is interested in reading it is called" A letter to Sophie"  from her Mum and dad's private diaries  by Carolyn Martin & Ron Delezio with Sally Collings.
    I recommend this book to anyone who loves to read a book where there has been family grief but have won their battle and are getting through it, as these diaries show.   BB

45. J  Rosewater profile image70
    J Rosewaterposted 14 years ago

I am reading Robert Goddard's latest: Found Wanting. I read pretty much everything he writes. My favourite was Days Without Number. These are family sagas if you like, in a contemporary setting in England. They have mystery and a few twists. And a bit of wry romance. Rather good. I've just finished one by Carol Goodman called the Night Villa, and I'm also in the middle of one by Donna Leon: one of her Venice mysteries.

46. M Burger profile image59
    M Burgerposted 14 years ago

I am reading The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen. I have a Nevada Barr book waiting anxiously for me to start. Love her books.

47. bojanglesk8 profile image62
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Sadly, I'm not reading anything right now. But I will very soon.

48. daiyaunna profile image60
    daiyaunnaposted 14 years ago

READING MY BOOK, POSTED TO MY PAGE, CHECK OUT FIRST CHAPTER.

49. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

drivers license handbook for the second time

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a great "how to" book, isn't it!smile

50. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

reading Desiring Italy - anthology of women writers all about Italy edited by Susan Cahill - very nice

just finished Amy Tan's THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES and Anne Tyler's BACH WHEN WE WERE GROWNUPS

found all three of these at a thrift store for $1 and $2!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)