Write as if each word costs you a dollar

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

This is a quote from a college professor long ago. Is this how you write?

1. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...    ...    ......  .....

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image61
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would never get a book written or finished for that matter if I was hung up on every word. Although I enjoy being creative with words and that brings out the pleasure of writing. Instead of it being a sacrifice and pick and choose what you say instead of letting it flow out naturally!

Freedom for self expression is all in not holding back the  divinity of words.

wink

1. dale.b11 profile image61
        dale.b11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think the quote more or less means to say as much as you can in as few words as you can. good advice if you get it.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

4. itech profile image65
      itechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol
      sorry, it's not possible......

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I'm writing Haiku, yes.

6. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is. Economic use of words does produce the best writing.

7. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The point being, I'm sure, that you write with care.  Care for the reader, which translates to quality.

I would argue that Douglas Adams put all those "pointless tangents" into his story completely on purpose.  His words were chosen carefully.  The essence of the humor may have been spontaneous when he drafted the book, but I know he went back and cleaned the language up to make it as polished and wonderful as it is.

8. Stephanie J.B. profile image58
      Stephanie J.B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I try to be as succinct as possible while still keeping my tone intact.  It's challenging, but the more you practice the less time it takes. :]

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Words are sold and bought several hundreds for a dollar nowadays...

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

So, in other words, write as if it were a painful experience?  I guess I would say yes, that's how I write - in terms of my book.  It's not an easy story to tell....

1. ACSutliff profile image73
      ACSutliffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly how you feel! Writing can be very painful, especially if you end up getting writer's block too, on top of writing a book that just does not want to come out.

If you think about how much each word would cost, you would certainly limit your word count and use one word instead of four or five, and that's a good way to write. Of course, your first draft should be as long as you need it to be. It's the finished product that counts, or costs you money. I want to take this quote to heart.

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

In other words you are telling us to use as less words as possible?
    Hard for me but I have read some work written that way.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not as few words as possible, but the best words for what you're trying to say, and no extras.

Sometimes I use words that aren't strictly necessary for what I'm trying to say, but which add a comic (or other) flavor to the piece.

Someone once wrote, "Style is the mistakes you can't help making." I wish I could remember who.

5. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

in a word no......

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I write as if punctuation costs me money - I wrote about it in a hub somewhere, but I forgot where I put it.  Words = time and time = money, so, yeh.

7. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Write - from the readers perspective - not your own -

8. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

There is no rule fits all when it comes to writing, whether its ad copy, direct response copy...

For me, one of the funniest most enjoyable reads is The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, if all the extra words, the unnecessary asides and pointless tangents were removed I doubt if the book would have ever reached cult status.

9. profile image0
    MyMoneyTalksposted 13 years ago

I write as though each word earns me a dollar lol, it doesn't however lol

10. Dobson profile image75
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

If I wrote as if ti cost me a dollar my serial would make me equal to the US government in my debt!

1. ACSutliff profile image73
      ACSutliffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's funny Dobson! I feel the same way about my serial. If I posted it all, I'd have well over 100 hubs, and I'd be bankrupt!

11. nkhoironi profile image60
    nkhoironiposted 13 years ago

A dollar for each is not enough for me.

12. davidkhoirul profile image61
    davidkhoirulposted 13 years ago

As a non-native speaker of English, I find it easy to create sentences containing few words.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Words + writing time / Hubs + Adsense, Amazon, Kontera & eBay / Blogs + other personally owned niche websites + time =  ....ummm....... carry the 2......add 6...divide by 4......errr......ahhh sh*t, I stuffed up the formulae!!!! big_smile

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

14. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Of course the pointless asides were included on purpose, that is exactly the point.

15. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 13 years ago

Someone once said, "I wrote you a long letter. If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter letter."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)