jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to remove old wallpaper?

1. GA Anderson profile image81
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to remove old wallpaper?

2. Cre8tor profile image98
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

Hi GA,
    First, gently score the entire area. Not too deep. You don't want deep scratches in the wall if you're getting ready to paint. Then, mix a bucket of pretty hot water with a healthy dose of a good fabric softener. Using a sponge, wet down the walls with the mix. Wet them down pretty good and then wring the sponge and hit 'em again to work it in. Let it sit for a few to soak in then using a scraper of some sort, peel it off.

Worked like magic for me. Some wallpaper is more stubborn than others but it's yet to fail me in making the job easier. (may want to lay some old sheets at the bottom of the wall to catch excess water)

3. catalystsnstars profile image73
    catalystsnstarsposted 6 years ago

The best way that has worked wonders for me, this is with having tried it with just scraping, is with a steamer. It is really great!! The wallpaper was twenty years plus old too,and it came off like nothing. Try it, I promise it will work!

By the way, steamers are not only very cheap but versatile, you will find that you can use them for many things.

4. Inspired to write profile image78
    Inspired to writeposted 6 years ago

Hi 'Cre8tor' information is spot on, where as a steamer is involved 'catalystsnstars' I find you have more chance of 'blowing' the plaster off the walls when using intense heat as such on a surface.

Just my input

Regards Dale