jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is it right for congressman to call President a liar infront of domestic/interna

1. ixwa profile image85
    ixwaposted 8 years ago

Is it right for congressman to call President a liar infront of domestic/international live media?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

No it isn't, they have rules in Congress

http://rules-republicans.house.gov/Educ … .aspx?ID=5

Defaming or degrading the House
    Criticism of the Speaker’s personal conduct
    Impugning the motives of another Member
    Charging falsehood or deception
    Claiming lack of intelligence or knowledge
    References to race, creed, or prejudice
    Charges related to loyalty or patriotism

3. Ruchira profile image77
    Ruchiraposted 8 years ago

I should actually commend the Congressman for I am sure he knows what consequences lay ahead for him after this scene even though we are proud to say that we are in a Democratic Country!

4. Ralph Deeds profile image62
    Ralph Deedsposted 8 years ago

Thanks, uninvited writer for looking up the rule. Nothing like an occasional fact on HubPages. I don't think he helped the GOP cause although it apparently played well with his supporters in South Carolina. One of the commentators today on NPR said that if the GOP was smart they would frog march him onto the floor of the House and make him apologize.

5. macbeth25 profile image55
    macbeth25posted 8 years ago

Most readers probably have heard of Jackie Robinson, the first African-American to break the color barrier in baseball.  Before getting into baseball, he was an Army second lieutenant.  A couple of White enlisted men once passed him without saluting.  He stopped them and pointed out that they were not supposed to salute the man but the rank. 
    The same thing is true here.  President Obama is the president of the most powerful nation on the face of the Earth.  To many foreign nations, President Obama IS the United States. 
    I didn’t work for him, didn’t vote for him and, unless he impresses me a lot more than he has, do not plan to vote for him in 2012.  He won by a significant margin in both electoral and popular votes. 
    Calling the President a liar, to me, is not showing the proper respect to the office – especially if he can’t prove it.  I realize he has apologized but I still feel some censure would be appropriate.  Perhaps the voters who put him in office might reconsider their decision the next time.   
    You can’t blame any particular race or religion because he got so many votes.  You might be able to blame the people who didn’t vote.  Take a look at my article: http://www.northfloridanewsdaily.com/Ne … n/145.html
    Many have complained about the results but I wonder how many of those now complaining actually worked for candidates or even voted.  I believe that anyone who had the right to vote who didn’t has forfeited any right to complain.  Not liking any candidate is no excuse.  In that case, vote for the one you dislike the least.  Not voting, as I say in the above article, is the same as voting for the winner.

6. Kebennett1 profile image60
    Kebennett1posted 8 years ago

If the president lies in front of these same people then why not? This same President went to a Muslim Nation and apologized for the American people and said that our country was not based on Christian principles. Was that right? NO. This same President has done so many things, said so many things that are WRONG, that it is about time, someone stands up and call's it like it is! Bravo, congressman! Where was his respect for our country and the people of our country when he spoke against it and us if you want to talk about respecting the office? He most certainly did not respect his own office, and did not represent the people of the United States when speaking in that Islamic Nation. Sometimes rules are broken for good reasons!

7. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Sorry, Uninvited Writer, I frequently agree with you, but not in this case.  Yes, those may be the "rules".  Those rules were written by the majority so as to keep the "old boys' club" members from being called to account by the rare members with balls and integrity.  (Not that that congressman causing the uproar necessarily qualifies -- I don't know.)

The emperor (whomever he may be) needs to be told, loudly and often, that he has no clothes.

Obama IS a liar.  Just as was Bush I and II, Clinton...

8. getitrite profile image80
    getitriteposted 8 years ago

Wilson was completely out of line, and should not be anywhere near national politics.  Please go back to South Carolina and be disrespectful there.  There are many other ways to make a stand.  He is just like the fools who bring guns to events attended by the president. They are just bitter-extremely bitter.

working