jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Would you give your life for your country?

1. Cutters profile image60
    Cuttersposted 6 years ago

Would you give your life for your country?

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

That depends, am I defending the life of my fellow citizens or am I cannon fodder for commercial interests, a mere pawn on a geopolitical chessboard? My life is to be sacrificed to save other lives not to just make a few people richer and more secure in their wealth.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

A few years ago I would have said yes. After two combat tours securing corporate interests I will answer a resounding NO. American ideals are worth fighting for. However, the current state of this country does not warrant the sacrifice of its brave young citizens. If any true "patriot" wished to fight for American ideology, he or she should lead a domestic revolution.

"There should be a revolution every generation."-Thomas Jefferson

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."-Bertrand Russell

4. junko profile image76
    junkoposted 6 years ago

Ask not what I would do for my country, ask what I think my country would do for or give me or mine these days, for my life.  I don't want to die for a broke country, I'd rather live and pay my taxes for my country.

5. Nspeel profile image76
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

Our country is hardly giving us anything I do not see why anyone would give there life for their country. Most of the time the country causes its own wars just for profit.

6. Vinaya Ghimire profile image88
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 6 years ago

If you mean blood, my answer is strictly no. There has been enough bloodshed in my country.

7. Allen Williams profile image84
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

I would under certain circumstances.  If it meant that I would enlist into the military and go to war, no, I am too old and out of shape for that.  If it meant that I was face to face with a terrorist that had a bomb, or was sabotaging something here in our country and I had the chance to stop him, I would take that chance even if it meant losing my life to save other people and our country.  I believe that is my duty as a citizen of this country.  I sure wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet in a terrorist's head to stop what he was trying to do.

8. HSanAlim profile image66
    HSanAlimposted 6 years ago

If I felt that my country, my family and my way of life was seriously in jeopardy I would serve my country in anyway the government felt that I could best be utilized.

9. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

'fraid I'd have to say, "No."   Seen enough of life to know that one day's despised and dispicable enemy is another day's valued trading partner who now come along as invited tourists.     

When I was a lad, 'Jerry' -the Germans - were my country's enemies.   Ten years later, as a Royal Australian Navy sailor, my mates and I are drinking Snapps and singing marshall songs with ex U-boat mariners aboard their merchant ship, everyone full of good feelings and good cheer.

Modern warfare is government-sanctioned murder.   No, unless I was clear in my mind that I, my family and friends were under real threat - not one made up to suit the usual hidden agendas -  I'd have to say no.

10. profile image0
    Béla Mongyiposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't die for my country. However, I would die for some of the people that live in it.

11. terrektwo profile image83
    terrektwoposted 6 years ago

No. But I would give my life for a loved one.

12. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

I would give my life for God (Do anything for Him), so if God wished it of me... Then yes.

13. stephaniedas profile image92
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

No. Countries are just imagined entities anyway. I would give my life for another person regardless of their nationality, but not for something as abstract as a "country". I think its an outdated concept- the world is so interconnected these days.

working