jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)

What's your opinion of Bill O'Reilly?

1. Adamowen profile image81
    Adamowenposted 5 years ago

What's your opinion of Bill O'Reilly?

2. JayeWisdom profile image93
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

Bill O'Reilly does not deserve the label "journalist" unless you compare him to the trashy or "gutter" tabloid press.  In my opinion, O'Reilly has about as much credibility as the tabloid sheets that are worth nothing more than lining the bottom of a birdcage--NONE. He only wishes to be sensational, not informational.

1. stvpaulson profile image78
      stvpaulsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

perhaps you should take note of the source of the "story" as noted here:
      © 2012 TheSmokingGun.com
      is part of Adult Swim and the
      Turner-SI Digital Network.
      All Rights Reserved.
      I rest my case.. this is someonee who is in competition with Mr. O

2. JayeWisdom profile image93
      JayeWisdomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Paulson....You can search wilipedia and other sources to find reports of the sexual harassment lawsuit against O'Reilly or to learn that he settled it out of court to the tune of millions of dollars to avoid having more information made public.

3. stvpaulson profile image78

Jayne... perhaps they settled due to lack of a credible case.  I won't waste another minute on your idea.

4. Darkproxy profile image61
      Darkproxyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sort of like Jessica Valenti and almost ever single feminist on line that dubs themselves journalists?

3. Darkproxy profile image61
    Darkproxyposted 5 years ago

he is a raging pervert did anyone read this  http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/oreil … uit?page=8 besides me. really its funny in a sad way

1. JayeWisdom profile image93

Perhaps Rev. Paulson should read it. I already knew about it, which is another reason I loathe Bill O'Reilly, who pretends to be a "...good, Christian man with morals...."  Moral men don't sexually harass women.

2. stvpaulson profile image78

I guess you're one of those who can't think for themselves and find truth and discern lies.  I hope that God may bless you with understanding and a forgiving heart.  You sound like an injured woman.  God Bles you.

3. JayeWisdom profile image93

You know, Rev. Paulson, I was just thinking the same thing about you! If there wasn't proof O'Reilly was guilty, he wouldn't have settled for millions--he would have gone to court.

4. RyanBuda profile image89
    RyanBudaposted 5 years ago

A concise version of my opinion is that he interrupts other speakers too much and uses the comeback, "Really?!?!? You really think so?!?!" far too often.

I believe he uses that Line for the Audience to force THEM to think about the logic the speaker may be utilizing in their speach.  If there's any logic at all.

5. john000 profile image97
    john000posted 5 years ago

I think that Bill O'Reilly, though pretty far right, is an intelligent man who is well-read and certainly a good observer of the political situation in this country. There is a lot he has to say that I don't agree with, but if you listen carefully to his arguments, it often gives you pause for thought.
    The left wing in this country also has its spokespersons, spokespeople, spokesmen, spokeswomen, etc. (did I leave anything out?) who, too, are intelligent, articulate, and acutely aware of the political situation in this country. Rachel Maddow comes to mind.
    The fringe who enjoy and worship each (I recall David Letterman calling Rachel Maddow the smartest woman in the world - maybe?) I think he classifies O'Rielly as a nut, or something else. I mention this because many folks pay more attention to Letterman than newscasters. But I also have seen Mr. Letterman caught in a corner while "interviewing" Mr. O'Reilly and not willing to bet his paycheck against O'Reilly's on whether Mr. O'Rielly has been right on debate points.
    I am bringing this up because when you have commentators like O'Reilly and Maddow, I think they serve an important purpose. If you are like me and listen with a skeptical mind to both, you will find that most often the truth, as you glean through the news and the Internet, is somewhere in between.
    As Americans watch the gridlock in Congress from extremists on both sides, Americans may be waking up to the fact that reps in Congress who cannot compromise serve no one. Any work required to move the country along in a reasonable fashion never gets done. So why is Bill O'Reilly someone to be listened to but not adored ?- because without people like him we never reach the truth.
    If you fall into the category of people who hate Bill O'Reilly for what he says (they're everywhere) then you become no better than a minority Islamist group  so filled with anger that they will never see anything clearly.
    Listen to O'Reilly, listen to Maddow, and then decide from a little net cruising where you stand on issues. It's commentary.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you to an extent in so far as its important to look at all sides of a situation and look at multiple sources to uncover the truth.

2. stvpaulson profile image78

johm000... I agree with you 100%.  You said it even better than I.

6. chuckd7138 profile image81
    chuckd7138posted 5 years ago

Personally, I find him to be more objective than other commentators. I will grant that he has his moments where he can be argumentative with those that have opposing views, and he also has moments where he intentionally pushes buttons to create dramatic and over-sensationalized conversations, debates and/or arguments.
    However, as I have watched Matthews, O'Donnell, Schultz, Maddow and Olbermann as well as O'Reilly, I find his commentary to be more even-sided than those that are (or have been) in the employ of MSNBC. I just cannot stomach them; whereas I can watch O'Reilly for an entire episode.
    So, while he is not perfect and clearly has his detractors, my opinion of him is far higher than the other aforementioned commentators. Furthermore, I will not say that another's negative comments about him are wrong, because everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just hope that they can return that same respect when I offer my negative opinions about those on MSNBC, CNN and CurrentTV.
    As for how I educate myself on most political issues, I do my best to hear all sides and opinions (despite a sickened stomach from some) and search various fact-checker sites to get to the best plausible truth. Because in the end, there are three sides to every story: his, hers and the truth.

Exactly what I say!  We are all blessed in this country, for which I fought in 1971, with the freedom of speech.  I hope that all Americans will learn someday that we are all in this together.  God Bless America!

7. thegecko profile image79
    thegeckoposted 5 years ago

Bill O'Reilly is a Fox News pinhead and a political Jerry Springer.

8. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

Good media manipulator.  Wish he cared more about the truth.

9. Mary Pryor profile image61
    Mary Pryorposted 5 years ago

I think Bill O'Reilly is to Fox what Wolf Blitzer is to CNN. It's all a game and they are paid well for playing it. Integrity in Journalism has just about diminished. When news commentators cannot keep their feelings out of the way- it is then that the bias shows. It makes it hard for me to watch either way it is slanted.

10. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

He writes good history books.  Beyond that, you don't want to know my opinion.  But "Killing Lincoln" was awesome.

11. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Pure ego. But that description fits a lot of people.

He may be intelligent, but he doesn't let other people speak much of the time. This is the kind of crash and bash journalism I can't stand.

He stands for polarization, which is something the Corporate Party media loves. They feed both sides of every debate to keep the fires stoked and the half-truths occluding our view.

12. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Bill O'Reilly is very personable, but I see him as nothing more than being a big blowhard.  He is show biz top to bottom with very little objectivity thrown in, and personally, I don't think he's worth watching.

13. grinnin1 profile image81
    grinnin1posted 5 years ago

I agree with most of what he has to say..that being said, it would be much more effective if he said what he did with less ego and anger attatched. I don't think his manner allows what he says to get beyond those who agree with him. I think mostly it invites malice and agitation from those who hold a different viewpoint.

working