What will cause the end of the human race if it occurs?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (49 posts)
  1. wiserworld profile image84
    wiserworldposted 11 years ago

What will cause the end of the human race if it occurs?

2. Distant Mind profile image68
    Distant Mindposted 11 years ago

Human stupidity, greed and religion. All of those things are bad for society and have proven themselves as detrimental to peace.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am glad religion has made your list.

3. sherrituck profile image80
    sherrituckposted 11 years ago

The answer is simply this-hate.  The Gospel of Matthew tells us that in the end people's love will grow cold and people will rise up against each other.  In order for the human race to exist, we have to have some way to agree to disagree.  Today, it seems as if we are ready to fight each other over every little difference of opinion.  When we get to the point that we are so consumed with hatred for others, the human race will eventually self-destruct.

1. Distant Mind profile image68
      Distant Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I will not be surprised if the person that pushes the button to end it all for humanity will be quoting Matthew, too.

Just saying, hope you're not offended wink

2. Rod Marsden profile image67

The greed of others tends to kill off compassion. We cannot agree to disagree when some of us are doing the right thing by the planet or at least are trying to while others are not.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

The human race will cause its own demise.  We are too stupid to realize that the push for power is not worth the cost to the earth and all of its inhabitants and it will eventually destroy us all.

Not a bad answer.

5. cfin profile image64
    cfinposted 11 years ago

Nuclear winter............................................

But what will cause this nuclear winter? Will it be humans with atomic weapons or a great big chunk of real estate falling from the sky? Maybe it will be levels of air pollution getting totally out of hand?

2. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nuclear fall out from the next world war. The major powers combined have enough nuclear weapons to wipe the face of the earth clean. It only takes one button push to get the ball rolling. What will follow is the Nuclear winter

6. jessefutch profile image58
    jessefutchposted 11 years ago

Disease is a rather likely scenario.
    Disaster (meteor, nuclear, volcano etc) is also a very likely end to the human race.
    Zombie Apocalypse - not so likely, but makes a better movie.

Disease isn't that likely. It would be if we were asexual creatures but we are not. We can build up an immunity or inherit an immunity against just about anything. It was rare, for example, for the black death to wipe out an entire town or village.

7. profile image0
    Eli Mooreposted 11 years ago

It will probably be a really big meteor.

Go the way of the dinosaurs? Not bad.

8. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I'm sure everything we are now doing is leading towards that. In less than some thousand years the male will disappear off the face of the earth as testosterone is diminishing. More homosexual babies are being born due to the cosmetics men and women are using (shower gels, lotions etc.) and the GM foods are also helping with this. I don't like the human race as I see it today. The masses are suppressed into hunger and ignorance while the wealthy live on. The 'economic crisis' is another example of how the rich elite are enslaving the west. Then again, species come and go, if we are too 'clever' to live in peace--alongside nature--nature will certainly not simply stand by....it will take action...it already has.

Gays have always been around. I can't see why more of them would be born. We don't march them into death camps any more so I suppose they are more likely to live longer and so be noticed. Overpopulation engineered  by the wealthy will doom us all.

2. Distant Mind profile image68
      Distant Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The comment about homosexual babies and cosmetics is the funniest thing I've read on HubPages. You are taking us one step closer.

3. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Male fertility has dropped dramatically since the 1920s. That's part of the Rockefeller eugenics program. But their support of gay lifestyle through the media also contributes to fewer births, but that won't destroy humanity by itself.

4. profile image71
      grumpiornotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rod, you last sentence is telling. I interpret it to also mean that the advancement of medicine (longer lives, increasing overpopulation) will cause our demise. The irony is wonderful: the more medicine advances, the more fragile humanity becomes.

5. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My comment was not centered on that; it's a shame that's what you picked up. You're right they have been. But nowadays all of nature is turning female due to the chemical atmoshpere.

6. Rod Marsden profile image67

Yep, longer lives and increasing overpopulation is it as far as I am concerned. Plus religious nuts opting for larger and larger families. I can't see or imagine all nature turning female. Years ago the spraying of DDT was turning creatures neutral.

7. profile image0

Read my article "Is it a female world?" to find out about nature turning female.

8. swordsbane profile image61
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow.. You think shower gel makes homosexuals?  Seriously?  Tell me you are being ridiculous just to be funny.

9. Rod Marsden profile image67

Hemingway back in the '30s wrote about young Spanish men eating broken glass to impress the ladies. Now males eating broken glass to me is more likely to end up in a female world than the use of silly hair and/or skin products.

10. profile image0

No, swordsbane, of course I don't think that. It's what scientists are saying and statistics are showing.

9. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 11 years ago

Overpopulation and poor use of natural resources will eventually doom the human race. This may happen before the next great chunk of real estate from some already broken up planet smashes into the earth creating a nuclear winter. People think the dinosaurs were dumb because they went extinct. Humans are going to prove to be even dumber because we are not likely to last as long on planet earth. Hell, the remnants of the dinosaur age such as the croc might stand a chance of out living us. The same might be true of the various insects that are around. Bacteria may be the oldest form of life still existing on this planet. There are forms of bacteria that do well in ice and forms of bateria that do well in boiling water on top of volcanos. Definitely bacteria of various kinds will have the best shot of out surviving humanity.

10. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

Most likely either nuclear war or the long term impacts of global warming.  Not sure about nuclear war though, because if it is limited, the human race may very well survive.  If global warming spins out of control and massive methane deposits are liberated from their frozen state, then it will likely be Game Over for the human race, as the impacts will be harsh and global.  Then there's always those pesky meteorites.  A major meteor impact could doom the human race from either the impact or the resulting ash winter that blocks the sun and destroys the growing season.

11. healthwealthmusic profile image60
    healthwealthmusicposted 11 years ago

I almost don't dare touch this one because of the tendency for strong minded, opinionated people being unkind...

...my answer would be: Ultimately, the end of the human race will occur with the end of the world, simple as that.

Nice thought.

2. moneyfairy profile image61
      moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you healthwealthmusic. As there are some hubbers that  are very unkind and they get away with it too. Doesn't seem fair. But simplicity seems best.

12. moneyfairy profile image61
    moneyfairyposted 11 years ago

Overpopulation,poverty and self destruction(killing one another)....just some possibilities of what would cause the human race to end.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

13. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 11 years ago

God did not punish America for trying to kill off all Indians, for slavery or the Civil War.  Why do people think God will punish us for Gays?  Greed will be the world's downfall, that coupled with apathy.

Throw in overpopulation caused by greed, apathy and nutty religion and you've got something.

2. swordsbane profile image61
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Overpopulation was not caused by greed.  It was caused by too many people having unprotected sex.... either because their religion demanded it or because their culture demands it.  It's the Earth that will punish us, not God.

3. Rod Marsden profile image67

There is still the element of greed in overpopulation. It is connected to apathy (Hey! Its their culture, none of my business) and nutty religion (We must breed better than the heathens for nutty god).

14. sparkster profile image86
    sparksterposted 11 years ago

Hmm nuclear war maybe?  Or a cataclysmic natural disaster?

It won't be global warming - it has increased by 0% since 1997!  We should also remember than humans managed to survive the last ice-age, although it be a relatively small percentage of them.

I don't think it would be an asteroid or meteor either, there is one due to collide with Earth in 2029 and the governments are already well onto it.

15. profile image0
    3cardmonteposted 11 years ago

Other humans and their destructive natures.

16. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I don't think nuclear war or even headstrong asteroids are a possibility, at least at first.

A video I saw a few days ago covers a lot of territory, but it includes a bit about UFOs upsetting nuclear tests years ago, disabling nuclear missiles. Guardian "angels?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s

I think humanity will go through some rough times, but not total destruction until the purpose for our Homo sapiens bodies has been fulfilled. That purpose is the awakening of the true selves (spirits, Holy Ghosts, souls), within. When all who will awaken have accomplished that goal, then the rest will be abandoned. Then humanity will be destroyed by the basest of drives -- ego (selfishness). The Bible describes this as "wailing and gnashing" or "victim-perpetrator." Without spirituality and religious wisdom, forgiveness will no longer be used to rescue humanity from unending madness and violence.

After the divine rescue mission is done, then Genesis 6:3 will be invoked -- that God will not always reside with man for he is also flesh. From that point forward, nuclear winter is a possibility -- whether it be from nuclear bombs or pesky asteroids crashing to Earth. The unrepentant souls left behind will have to suffer oblivion. And when the sun grows ever brighter over the next few million years, humanity will no longer have a viable planet on which to live. Having long forsaken the foundations of civilization, they will not be able to build those shining starships I once thought would save us, like in Star Trek and the interstellar Federation.

17. Zooloot.com profile image62
    Zooloot.composted 11 years ago

The human species has evolved to a state of advanced stupidity and blindness, due to our greed and capitalistic focus. As a result we no longer understand that our sole innate purpose, is to seed neighboring planets with the diverse variety of life forms that we watch over. We are the only species (in our solar system) that has ventured off our planet for this end in our future.

There is no doubt that some day the announcement will come that the clock is ticking and our sun has started swelling into a red dwarf. At that time we will move into our 'destined mode' and do what other species, just like us. have been doing 'for ever'. We will build an arch and go boldly where we have no other option but to go. Off this planet!

Into the blue we'll blast off and discover a diversity in space that we never knew existed, but passes us by often, on the same journey.

We often wonder how aliens could travel from other planets all the way to here. The fact is they don't! They are simply travelers looking for a place to rest wink As we will also be some day, when we realize there is no place to go but as far away from our dying planet as possible, to seek out new worlds.

So the answer to the question is; The human species will die when the sun no longer gives it life. Unless of course we awaken to the reality before it's too late and do what we have been designed to do, by the universal laws of nature.

So support your space program! It's in your genes to do so wink

1. profile image71
      grumpiornotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this answer - it also creates space for the possibility that while the human race may not continue in its currrent, recognizable form, our genes could be sent off into space to ultimately find a foothold to start new life elsewhere.

2. Rod Marsden profile image67

The human race as an intergalactic plague. This could work out.

18. crazyhorsesghost profile image69
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

I think if the human race is ever wiped out it will be by a large asteroid or meteor striking the earth. Especially if it were to happen with little or no warning.

19. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

A combination of stupidity and greed seems to be the way the human race will put an end to itself.

20. profile image0
    Billie Paglioloposted 11 years ago

I wasn't going to respond to this question, but I am greatly concerned about the responses, especially in regard to nuclear war. There seems to be a casual denial here of what the impact of that possibility would be, and that's the most frightening threat of all. In the 60s and 70s there were stark portrayals of the realities of the consequences of even one nuclear bomb being dropped. Today, the film industry dances around the topic of annihilation with zombies and vampires. If you notice, the threat of astroids, the denial of global warming - all indicate that people think that if we were destroyed, it would be because of a factor OVER WHICH WE HAD NO CONTROL. What a consumate avoidance of responsibility to ourselves, our children, and for those who are to follow!  It's a very apathetic way of looking at things, and to be quite honest - an indication of own laziness emanating from a feeling of utter powerless-ness. WE ARE NOT POWERLESS. To me, there is one mandate that we have been given in light of the fact that humans have evolved to a state of intelligence that is able to create the most amazing advances conceiveable.  It seems to me that there is a mandate from somewhere TO KEEP ON KEEPING ON until we solve the mystery of our existence.  We need to ensure the human race continues so that we, as humans, can unravel the puzzle that we have been given to solve.  That is the very least we can do for having been given the opportunity to come in to existence in the first place! As the Serenity Prayer states:  "...give me the serenity to accept the things I can't change, the courage change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  We need to have the WISDOM to put into the RIGHT CATEGORY, the things that we CAN change and have the COURAGE change them.  Brave individuals before us have kept us safe and have averted disasters we may never know about;  I believe there are thousands of individuals working to do that now; we need to join them by our words and by our activism.  We CAN do something about nuclear proliferation by facing the facts of nuclear war and voting for those who we feel will best insure our safety; we can help lessen further environmental effects to our globe through our daily actions and our votes. It's just only right that we should do this so that all of us can keep on keeping-on. There is power in  "What One Man Can Do" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wie219qytT0 -(a grainy, but but lovely video)

Humans in general have very little control over what big company leaders and politicians set in motion. Back in the 1960s the USA came very close to direct nuclear war with Russia over Cuba. Religion wasn't involved then but next time...

2. profile image0
      Billie Paglioloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rod, you're right we're having less and less control, but I've seen what focused effort can do.  We don't see it because we never see what DIDN'T happen because people put forth the effort.  We only see what happens when they don't.

21. swordsbane profile image61
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

The end of the human race will be brought on by people who are preparing for the end of the human race.  I'm not scared that there's this Mayan Prophecy that will bring about the end of the world.  I'm afraid of the people who are convinced there's this Mayan Prophecy that will bring about the end of the world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)